uniqs
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: Verizon a consumer's predator?

said by openbox9:

Then you need to remove fiduciary responsibilities and disallow private investment in corporate structures. Talk about a sure way to kill CAPEX and stifle innovation.
Fiduciary responsibilities are not an excuse to break laws without repercussions.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Broken laws? Did I miss part of the discussion?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by openbox9:

Broken laws? Did I miss part of the discussion?
Anticompetitive behavior, backroom deals, cartel-like pricing... all quite illegal.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Anti-competitive behavior has occurred in a few instances and it's typically been squashed fairly quickly. Backroom deals? Our country is founded in part on making deals, and unless you have examples, I don't see how they're illegal. Cartel-like pricing? Hardly. Lack of sufficient competition in certain markets to get profit margins as thin as possible to favor consumers, possibly. But how is that illegal?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

sonicmerlin

said by openbox9:

Anti-competitive behavior has occurred in a few instances and it's typically been squashed fairly quickly. ?
Wait wait, you don't think inflated special access prices is anticompetitive? There are ISPs in rural areas paying $100+/mb of bandwidth because only one company, either Verizon or AT&T, runs a line there, and they can price at whatever the heck they want. Even Sprint is at the mercy of V & T's special access lines.
quote:
Backroom deals? Our country is founded in part on making deals, and unless you have examples, I don't see how they're illegal.
It's anti-competitive you moron. If V, T, and Google are sorting out rules in closed-door meetings with an FCC in meetings without any input from the consumer or small businesses, how can anyone else compete?
quote:
Cartel-like pricing? Hardly. Lack of sufficient competition in certain markets to get profit margins as thin as possible to favor consumers, possibly. But how is that illegal
*faceslap* 90% of the industry is owned by 4 companies. What the heck do you think the word "cartel" even means? The antitrust measurement gauge that the FCC uses, the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, has jumped by almost 700 points to 2848 since the 2003. A market is "highly concentrated' at 1800. The FCC is supposed to take notice at 2880.

Only Sprint is experimenting with pricing, and that's because they don't have a choice with all the customers they're losing. AT&T was able to slap on an abusive 2 GB cap despite the falling cost of wireless backhaul.

What kind of evidence beyond this do you NEED to see cartel-like behavior?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:

Wait wait, you don't think inflated special access prices is anticompetitive? There are ISPs in rural areas paying $100+/mb of bandwidth because only one company, either Verizon or AT&T, runs a line there
So how exactly can it be anti-competitive if only one competitor exists?
said by sonicmerlin:

It's anti-competitive you moron.
What's the old saying about name calling in lieu of presenting a valid argument? I'm still waiting to hear what's illegal.
said by sonicmerlin:

What the heck do you think the word "cartel" even means?
said by dictionary.com :
car·tel [kahr-tel]
noun
1. an international syndicate, combine, or trust formed esp. to regulate prices and output in some field of business.
2. a coalition of political or special-interest groups having a common cause, as to encourage the passage of a certain law.
3. a written agreement between belligerents, esp. for the exchange of prisoners.
4. a written challenge to a duel.
If it weren't for the growing number of smaller wireless competitors, I could begin to see your concern.
said by sonicmerlin:

What kind of evidence beyond this do you NEED to see cartel-like behavior?
Something that actually highlights illegal activity would be a great start, particularly in relation to an actual law being broken.