spc
Search similar:

uniqs
solidwing
join:2005-10-04
Jersey City, NJ

solidwing

Would I get the call If...

I was just wondering, and I don't know if theres a way anyone on here could know really, but if I went over a months usage and my usage for a certain month was like 259 gb..do you think I'd get the call?

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7

Premium Member

»Went over 250GB Limit by 23GB!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to solidwing

Premium Member

to solidwing
No

Dspairl
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
Norwich, CT

Dspairl to solidwing

Premium Member

to solidwing
No you're fine

rwong48
join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA

rwong48 to solidwing

to solidwing
I hit 25_ GB the past few months, after doing >500 and >300 and got nothing

Switching to business class anyways, then I can just plow over and hit the 700s!

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

1 edit

heat84 to solidwing

to solidwing
500GB here I come! Does anybody know what the record is for most consecutive months going over the cap? It'll be 11 months(since DOC SIS 3.0) after August for me. And considering over 90% of it is upload probably makes it more impressive. Anybody can download 500GB.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Knock yerself out !

Dspairl
Premium Member
Norwich, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

Dspairl to solidwing

Premium Member

to solidwing
Oh I can't wait for him to get his disconnect notice, i'm sorry but who broadcasts that they're dbl the cap. I don't know maybe Chris or George might see this and give him a lump of coal in an early xmas stocking
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to solidwing

Premium Member

to solidwing
seems to me enforcement is dynamic. in the burbs it took someone moving 1TB a month for three months to even get a warning. but they drop the banhammer on someone in the city for one month of doing 500gb.

my guess is the system or the watchers does it based on node. if your node has minimal traffic other than you, odds are they wont care. if they get constant service calls about speed from your node my guess is they will review usage.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to solidwing

to solidwing
How would they even track me down? BBR won't give them my IP address. Will they? They could read my posts and narrow my location down based on location details I've left.
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

seems to me enforcement is dynamic.
Comcast has already said that it is, and that you have to exceed the 250GB cap AND be one of the heaviest users on their network. I would assume that provides some flexibility and discretion.

Dspairl
Premium Member
Norwich, CT

Dspairl to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
said by heat84:

How would they even track me down? BBR won't give them my IP address. Will they? They could read my posts and narrow my location down based on location details I've left.
I can't tell you, I guess you will have to figure that one out yourself. In no way do I personally care if you use 500gb a month, I just don't think people should be broadcasting it all over the place.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech to heat84

Premium Member

to heat84
said by heat84:

Given a subpoena, you never know.

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA

NathanO to solidwing

to solidwing
Now what about if you already got the call, were under 250gb for 3-4months, then did ~265gb?

Thoughts?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I would guess that once you are in Comcast's system as an abuser, you will be monitored.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

1 edit

heat84 to Dspairl

to Dspairl
That's partially why do it. To mock the paranoia around here. Is there a documented case of someone here posting about doing something illegal in regards to their ISP or cable company or like in my case, violating the TOS, and getting caught?

Also, since the first time is only a warning, there's nothing to worry about until that happens since it is only a warning. But nate1234's question does worry me.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

My guess is Johkals post is fairly accurate.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to solidwing

Premium Member

to solidwing
what BW monitor is that?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Looks like Netmeter
»www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

However if you own multiple computers you will need to measure at the router with something like DD-WRT or one of the others unless your router has a meter built in.

Some areas also have a meter on your Primary Comcast.net Login.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to beachintech

to beachintech
I so miss my time testing 100/15 business last year...
klawdek
join:2010-05-16
Chicago, IL

klawdek to solidwing

to solidwing
Does it matter what time of day you do your downloading? I can do most of mine in off peak hours after 10pm and before 6am. Would that make any difference.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

I don't believe that's taken into account.
klawdek
Chicago, IL

klawdek

That is odd. I know time of day usually counts when they throttle, you would think it would make a difference with the caps. I mean the system costs as much to them whether it is being used to full capacity of half right?

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

1 edit

Tordek7

Premium Member

said by klawdek:

That is odd. I know time of day usually counts when they throttle, you would think it would make a difference with the caps. I mean the system costs as much to them whether it is being used to full capacity of half right?
Nope Time of day has absolutly no bearing on the BE/BPE systems.

(Short of saying that you are more likely to be to dawg during the day when people are in work/school)

BE/BPE operates on whomever is saturating the segment for an extended period of time, will be put into a BE status (best effort) in other words a reduced QoS until such a time that the segment is cleared.

There are actual numbers for when it starts/stops. I would suggest reading the Network Management briefing from Comcast.

»networkmanagement.comcast.net/
»New Comcast Throttling System 100% Online [163] comments
»Comcast/Sandvine Traffic Managment System Evolves [63] comments

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to beachintech

to beachintech
said by beachintech:
said by heat84:

Given a subpoena, you never know.
That is the only way --- with a subpoena. And to the best of my memory on the site there has never been one received that involved identifying a member here for a provider's TOS reason.

At least 2 members of this site (perhaps more) have been identified by their providers based on their posts in public forums or direct forums here. That is why some members make a second account for use only in the direct forums -- to avoid any connection between their main identity on the site and any account information they discuss in the direct forum.

Offered just as general information.
klawdek
Chicago, IL

klawdek to Tordek7

to Tordek7
OK I did not put that correctly.

I was thinking in terms of the fact that during off peak hours you are not as likely to be throttled. While it could seem like it, it is not based on time but on current network load.
CT3s
join:2009-10-05
Barrington, IL

CT3s

EVERY month I have made sure I didn't go over. One, month I ended up going on a binge and wiped several of my desktops and had to re-download everything. My total data transfer for that month was 256. I got the call.

It was gay.

On a side note I am an employee, so they probably watch us like hawks.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to Tordek7

to Tordek7
said by Tordek7:

what BW monitor is that?
NetMeter
heat84

1 edit

heat84 to CT3s

to CT3s
said by CT3s:

On a side note I am an employee, so they probably watch us like hawks.
What do you mean? You get everything free so they probably don't care about your bandwidth usage.

Did these people who are worried about going over the cap by a few GB just move here from Australia or somewhere else where they have crazy cap overage fees?

BTW, I'm on pace for 830GB this month.