Re: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Gee, I see the story has now hit CNN. »www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/0 ··· l?hpt=T1

brydry
...it's meat-cake
join:2004-12-05
Clearwater, FL

4 edits

brydry

I don't live a lifestyle that would lead to gov't agents suspecting me of anything that would give them a reason for them to track me. So, I'm not worried. If they did or are tracking me, they would see what a boring individual I am and that perhaps they are wasting their time.

Forgot to include this:
»www.brighthub.com/electr ··· 608.aspx Are GPS Signal Jammers Legal?
More info: »gizmodo.com/5622807/how- ··· location

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

4 recommendations

jvmorris

MVM

I fear you seriously fail to comprehend how this process works. The more "lily white" (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course) your file may be be (and yes, there's bound to be a file), the more convinced "these people" will come to believe there is something about you that they simply have not yet discovered. Indeed, that's exactly the profile they would expect of a deep cover agent for some foreign power. Consequently, the more innocent you appear, the more you actually attract their attention!

I would seriously recommend you do something to put some blotches in your file -- get arrested for driving 10mph over the posted speed limit, running a red light, failing to stop at a stop sign. Encourage rumors that you cheat on your spouse (preferably with a member of your sex), have a gambling or drinking problem, are seriously indebted with no prospects of avoid bankruptcy. Now, that's the new 'normal' and will lead them to immediately write you off, so that you don't become a target.

If you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you here, it's time for you to read (or re-read) "Catch 22".

hm
@mc.videotron.ca

hm to jvmorris

Anon

to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

When Pineda-Moreno was arrested and charged, one piece of evidence was the GPS data, including the longitude and latitude of where the Jeep was driven, and how long it stayed. Prosecutors asserted the Jeep had been driven several times to remote rural locations where agents discovered marijuana being grown, court documents show.

I've driven quite a few times to rural locations where pot was being grown and I had no clue about it.

Matter of fact (years ago) when I drove a friend out and he came back with those big orange garden garbage bags that he tossed in my trunk and back seat. I figured it was clothes since he was moving.

I crossed the border into the states every weekend (used to have a place there) all summer long.

One day at work, in the fall, a guy asked to borrow my tire iron. I opened the truck and one of the bags were there. Loaded with pot branches and if you touched it, it was so dry, it would turn to almost powder. He asked me for it and I gave it to him since I don't do pot (wonder what the value of that was).

I had forgotten he told me he left a gift for me. heh

Imagine if I got nailed crossing into the states!

Imagine if they put a tracking device on my car and said, "your car drove several times to remote rural locations where agents discovered marijuana being grown"?

I think the court should have tossed it out. I try to put myself in the shoes of someone like this... They could have easily said i'm some narcotics distributor since I drive by and stop at pot farms.

Hope it gets appealed.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to brydry

Premium Member

to brydry
said by brydry:

I don't live a lifestyle that would lead to gov't agents suspecting me of anything that would give them a reason for them to track me. So, I'm not worried. If they did or are tracking me, they would see what a boring individual I am and that perhaps they are wasting their time.
Fisrt of all, may be they know something about you that you don't know. They're authorities for god sake and they always know better... And second, they are never wasting their time. They justify new spending budget increase for the next year. Remember, it's a bureaucracy and it needs to expand itself, indefinitely...
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

1 recommendation

cmaenginsb1 to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

I fear you seriously fail to comprehend how this process works. The more "lily white" (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course) your file may be be (and yes, there's bound to be a file), the more convinced "these people" will come to believe there is something about you that they simply have not yet discovered. Indeed, that's exactly the profile they would expect of a deep cover agent for some foreign power. Consequently, the more innocent you appear, the more you actually attract their attention!

I would seriously recommend you do something to put some blotches in your file -- get arrested for driving 10mph over the posted speed limit, running a red light, failing to stop at a stop sign. Encourage rumors that you cheat on your spouse (preferably with a member of your sex), have a gambling or drinking problem, are seriously indebted with no prospects of avoid bankruptcy. Now, that's the new 'normal' and will lead them to immediately write you off, so that you don't become a target.

If you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you here, it's time for you to read (or re-read) "Catch 22".
Yeah but if you enough of that they might want to make you a politician.
PanOptic
join:2010-08-11

PanOptic to brydry

to brydry
said by brydry:

I don't live a lifestyle that would lead to gov't agents suspecting me of anything that would give them a reason for them to track me.
The day you can tell me even the quantum of laws that comprise federal, state and municipal statutes, never mind all the various ways they can be 'extended', is the day I'll be able to give a statement like that even marginal 'respect'.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to hm

MVM

to hm
said by hm :

Imagine if they put a tracking device on my car and said, "your car drove several times to remote rural locations where agents discovered marijuana being grown"?
Note: You did commit a crime. They would have had to establish mens rea for you though, which would have been unlikely with the circumstances. The GPS track would only be one piece of evidence, establishing circumstantial evidence that you committed the crime; but more evidence would be needed to establish that you committed the crime and to establish mens rea.

Anyway, your situation demonstrates just one of the reasons why GPS should only be an investigative tool, not evidence.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Good thing you mentioned mens rea; otherwise I'd have to stay off the Appalachian Trail!

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to marigolds

Premium Member

to marigolds
said by marigolds:

Anyway, your situation demonstrates just one of the reasons why GPS should only be an investigative tool, not evidence.
I dunno. If investigators questioning you about a crime in Hawaii have your cell phone call/GPS records putting you in New York at the time in question...that's pretty good evidence that they have the wrong man.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to hm

MVM

to hm
said by hm :
said by jvmorris:

When Pineda-Moreno was arrested and charged, one piece of evidence was the GPS data, including the longitude and latitude of where the Jeep was driven, and how long it stayed. Prosecutors asserted the Jeep had been driven several times to remote rural locations where agents discovered marijuana being grown, court documents show.

I've driven quite a few times to rural locations where pot was being grown and I had no clue about it.

Matter of fact (years ago) when I drove a friend out and he came back with those big orange garden garbage bags that he tossed in my trunk and back seat. I figured it was clothes since he was moving.

I crossed the border into the states every weekend (used to have a place there) all summer long.

One day at work, in the fall, a guy asked to borrow my tire iron. I opened the truck and one of the bags were there. Loaded with pot branches and if you touched it, it was so dry, it would turn to almost powder. He asked me for it and I gave it to him since I don't do pot (wonder what the value of that was).

I had forgotten he told me he left a gift for me. heh

Imagine if I got nailed crossing into the states!

I think the court should have tossed it out. I try to put myself in the shoes of someone like this... They could have easily said i'm some narcotics distributor since I drive by and stop at pot farms.

Hope it gets appealed.
If for some reason you were stopped by the cops, I'm sure your buddy would have said the pot was his. Perhaps you need to review Chris Rock's - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! and pay attention to point about 'crazy friends' who have drugs.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· mtxXEGE8

Blake
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by marigolds:

I dunno. If investigators questioning you about a crime in Hawaii have your cell phone call/GPS records putting you in New York at the time in question...that's pretty good evidence that they have the wrong man.
Actually if your records prove that you were in New York, unless there was strong reason to believe otherwise they probably wouldn't question you for long. It wouldn't necessarily need to be "evidence" used in court.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:
said by marigolds:

May be it's because the cell phone is not you? And a GPS device that could be attached to your car is not your car?

Need an example? May be you gave your cell phone (for whatever reason) to someone else and he/she used it one or two times form New York? The same applies to GPS device which could be temporary placed in another car, that car had its own route and GPS was returned back. It is just attached to a car, isn't it? It's easy to set up anyone with anything with it...