how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garyrt

join:2005-09-28
Kansas City, MO

Earthlink internet VERY slow

My high speed internet has become very slow over the past few months. My current download speed is 0.78 mbs.

Earthlink CS said to enter a primary and secondary DNS server addresses. Presently the connection from my desktop and laptop are wireless and I do not have a direct connection to the router. Can I enter these addresses on both computers? Or, do I have to change the settings on the router? I just don't want to mess up anything with the wireless connection.
Also, does this sound like the problem with my very slow speed.
Many thanks.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1
You can enter DNS addresses on your computer and it will override the DNS addresses that the router leased to you. You do not have make a change in your router. However it would probably be a good idea to do so.

You should test your connection speeds without wireless using direct connection to see if it is still slow. Wireless itself can add an additional layer of things that need to be tested when trying to fix internet issues. If it is fast without wireless then you know that it is not the connection
--
Mission Accomplished

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to garyrt
Use OpenDNS. That is what I am using here. Works great ! Easy to set up also. Full instructions at their website. Did I mention that it is FREE ?

»www.opendns.com/

Swipper_74

join:2010-06-28
Statesville, NC

1 edit
said by Racerbob:

Use OpenDNS. That is what I am using here. Works great ! Easy to set up also. Full instructions at their website. Did I mention that it is FREE ?

»www.opendns.com/
I second OpenDNS...been using Basic for about 2 years now and would never go to any other DNS servers. You are able to block individual sites, block all sites of a certain category, auto blocks phishing/malware sites and it makes the net lightning fast. If you don't want all the customization with the normal servers, you can use the newer DNS servers that are preconfigured at »www.opendns.com/familyshield/

garyrt

Kansas City, MO
reply to garyrt
I will check out OpenDNS, but , there is a problem with my service, correct? It can't be that slow.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
said by garyrt:

I will check out OpenDNS, but , there is a problem with my service, correct? It can't be that slow.
I do agree that there is a problem with your service. With the speed that you are seeing I would think that they owe you a refund.

garyrt

Kansas City, MO
reply to garyrt
Well, Earthlink says it must be a "connection" issue/problem and I will need to contact Time Warner.

GT mph

join:2010-10-16
East Elmhurst, NY
reply to garyrt
VERY VERY slow!! Bull$hit 10mb speed ads

Maxor127

@sbcglobal.net
reply to garyrt
My Earthlink DSL is slow too. It was acting crappy over summer with lots of disconnects and snail pace speeds, but today is the first time I've noticed it being literally slower. I play a lot of online games, and I notice the servers all have much higher pings than they usually have. Like 2 to 3 times higher. When I can't find any servers under 100 ping, then that's pretty bad. I don't know how long it's been like this since it's been weeks since I really played anything and it's not quite noticeable with general browsing. I was thinking about switching because at this point, I'm fed up. But I probably won't be living here for another year, and I don't want to get locked into any first year contracts.

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY
reply to garyrt
" reply to garyrt
Well, Earthlink says it must be a "connection" issue/problem and I will need to contact Time Warner."

yeah I got that run around too. time warner told me to back and contact earthlink. I am so despising cable.

Beware u

join:2009-12-26
reply to GT mph
said by GT mph:

VERY VERY slow!! Bull$hit 10mb speed ads

It is possible that the Cable Co is doing something to slow it down on purpose... because I don't think they want people to subscribe to their cable using other providers: EL has no network ; they just use other cable cos to offer their services...
It doesn't seem that the Federal agencies are monitoring the situation to enforce anti-trust laws!

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to garyrt
its slow here in NY as well but the price does suite! With torrent capability if you have patients then its not bad but speed does suck in Astoria, NY 11106