mjf
MVM,
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
ARRIS NVG510

mjf to Parogadi

MVM,

to Parogadi

Re: new orleans levees only protect to category 3 hurricane?

said by Parogadi:

Mandatory that all homes that are built in the basin have to be elevated to 20' off the ground would be interesting, since almost nobody here does so, yet the "primitive natives" in south america and southern Asia have done exactly that for millennia.

That photo is not from New Orleans.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:
said by i1me2ao:

have you been to la lately? there is no where for that many many to go..
People don't understand what poverty is, plain and simple.

Bobcat is right, meanwhile a report came out today, billions vanished / wasted in Iraq:

»finance.yahoo.com/news/A ··· html?x=0

And multiple corporate bailouts to the tune of over 1 trillion dollars.

And the OP is worried about saving a historic AMERICAN city? astounding...
Certainly was amazing how the government was so quickly able to access money to save the bonus checks of a handful of unimportant bankers yet it took a lot longer to arrange money to start fixing up NO. of course Bankers are seen as more important than a city because bankers bribe err donate to the lawmakers.

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to mjf

Premium Member

to mjf
said by mjf:

That photo is not from New Orleans.
And that matters how? If you are going to live in a flood prone area raising the house off the ground makes allot more sense then building the home at ground level so that it is demolished by any flood.

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

2 edits

Mchart to DataRiker

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

I guess the fact that most of LA is a third world country has escaped many of the people here.

Most poor people did not have the resources to simply leave. Its expensive when you live on 400-500 dollars a month.

Poverty here is absolute. If you have not been down here then STFU.
So then don't live in a place that historically gets plowed by hurricanes and floods? Being born there isn't an excuse. You can scrap together enough money to relocate.

What I love are all the people comparing an Earthquake to a Hurricane.

Protip - Earthquakes are 100% unpredictable; Whereas Hurricanes have weeks worth of warning.

And yes, people living on the coast -ANYWHERE- in the world can be just as douche-y if they complain about it. If you live on the coast, expect a giant wave to plow over your home one day. There ain't shit you can do about it.
Expand your moderator at work