Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits

[Deep] Given a second chance at life 9-11-09 Why?

The Day I Was Supposed To Die

9-11-09 2am CENTRAL POINT,OR

story goes

I was on the greyhound bus on my way down to Los Angeles,CA from Spokane,WA . there was rest stop in CENTRAL POINT,OR at a fast food place

anyway I ordered a two items off the menu

after i got the food i started eating it before you know it i was choking ,I tried getting the attention of one the employees but they were too busy in the back & the other customers did not seem to care or did not notice. next thing I know 30-40 seconds had all ready passed I was starting to panic but I looked outside and saw a hand rail I threw my self into the rail . at this point a minute has all ready passed by and still was not dislodged ..
I tried it a second time and it came out fast with throw up with stomach acid .
for the next 48 hours my throat was Burning up
could not eat or drink anything without gaging on it

the question why did I even live ,I have nothing to show for it in the last year ,It seems my future is empty and dull...

second chance forth chance at life

if you count all the other times:
electric shock (how many amps does it take to melt copper anyways? gusstomate 20awg), happened as a little kid

near drowning, happened as a little kid

slipped and hit the back of my head... damn that one hurt....happened as a little kid

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Is this your story?

I believe there is a plan for everyone.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by usa2k:

Is this your story?

I believe there is a plan for everyone.
Yes it is

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Re: [Deep] Given a second chance at life 9-11-09 Why?

It is interesting how lives play out. I am taking some college English classes this fall. The book "The Best American travel Writing" a 2008 publication, is the text we will use, and I bought and read it already. I have no idea how the 25 short stories will be applied to the class? One thing I learned is there are many places that are described in detail where people exist in squalor, and seem content with what life has dealt them.

In the USA we have riches by comparison and often lack satisfaction. And yet there are those above the typical American that live still in such riches it just boggles the mind!

Personally I can remember close calls. Reaching in a cabinet with 600VAC on, and doing a double take as I realized I came close to almost touching the wrong thing! Or a time in bad weather gliding through chaos of cars spinning out of control/slamming into each other, and yet somehow escaping it all to pass through unscathed.

Those with family that are close typically do well in life. Those lacking ties to others, I suspect can lose focus, and perspective. I think it is human nature to look for affirmation of life from those we interact with. Some sense of leaving a mark, and being missed if missing.

I'm not sure how deep your thoughts are going, but us Helixers are here to talk, or maybe more importantly to listen. So definitely take opportunity to say what's on your mind

Near escapes usually have a way of making greens greener, and life brighter. You can go crazy over things like this person was doomed to serious injury, while I floated through disaster like in some protective bubble. I feel its ultimately better to strive to make each day count. When its three steps back ... then let it go, and work on the next day. We all worry, but worry gains nothing.

Sorry for writing a book!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

3 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_

Re: [Deep] Given a second chance at life 9-11-09 Why?

said by Anonymous_:

the question why did I even live ,I have nothing to show for it in the last year ,It seems my future is empty and dull...

We don't know much about you, but you do have a bunch of WUs completed and have been helping science get closer to some very important cures. You have done that within the last year.

As for your future, it doesn't have to be empty and dull. It will depend a lot on you and what you put into it.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by sortofageek:

said by Anonymous_:

As for your future, it doesn't have to be empty and dull. It will depend a lot on you and what you put into it.
I was trying to finish getting my High School Diploma but the local places wanted me to settle for only
a GED ( ether not enough credits or over the age limit)

the only place i have left is Antelope Valley Community College ("Tuition waiver" net cost is only $1)

but it's very faraway and I do not have a car. the bus transit system sucks out here and would take 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours each way 5 to 7 hours round trip and cost $6-$7 for a all day pass

i will go up to Lancaster and see what they have

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

Well, I always go back to what my wise Grandmother used to say about life events such as this:

"If you were born to hang you won't drown."

Kinda makes sense doesn't it...?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Anonymous_

When I enrolled in technical school I had no funding for housing. Miraculously, it appeared right at the last moment. I was planning on living in a tent so I could go to school with the funding I was given from a program after I did everything I could to sell the idea of me getting training.

Sometimes a way appears out of nowhere. Best of luck to you!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Fight cancer and disease, it's easy, you can get help, and you'll make a difference! »Team Helix »Team Discovery Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 recommendations

As Sorto alluded, we really don't know what our "value" in life may be...you may knowingly, or unknowingly have already brought things to others that you may not not be aware of...or even ever be aware of. Even the most anti-social amongst us interact with thousands of people, and sometimes to the great good of others...after all, you are a contributing member of an organization that is pledged to save countless lives, right? It may be your next WU that trips a fabulous discovery!

As far as the future goes? That chapter has not been written yet, has it? Two things strike me here:

1. You will have a great deal to say as to whether your future is "meaningful" or not. Regardless of past or present circumstances, we all can change our futures. There are folks with far more daunting issues than what you may have, that have gone on to do very notable things with their lives!

2. Maybe you are just here as a haphazard event...but I do not believe this! I think that we are all here for a reason, whether or not that reason is clear to us at any given point in time.

Most of us who have been around long enough have had close calls with death. After all, we all depart sooner or later, that is just a fact of life. However, the great beauty of our existence is that there is always something new around the next corner...I for one want to travel that road as long as my maker deems appropriate, both for my own curiosity, and for whomever may benefit from my being here...and you never know who that may include!
--
Deeds, not words

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

electric shock (how many amps does it take to melt copper anyways? gusstomate 20awg), happened as a little kid
About 58 amps according to this table: American Wire Gauge Cable Selection, use the column called "Fusing Current". Due to your body's electrical resistance (Ohms), what would actually go through you is in the milliamp range (1/1000 of an amp). FWIW, my background is engineering.

PeteC2 hit the points exactly. Everyone has a story, it's up to you to decide what to do with it.

The 3 things that will help you cope: attitude, attitude, attitude.

There is always something new to learn or experience every day. If you haven't, change your attitude.

I have the good fortune to be employed. It's one of those dull office jobs in a large company. So, I go outside every day at lunch for a walk. What do I do? I look for new and interesting things to see. Sometimes, I get rewarded with a new bird flying by, an interesting bug (I like nature), or construction equipment (what else would an engineer like to see ... ). It makes my day fun.

I've had my share of close calls. Some of them were due to the need to get a better life experience, like going backpacking and taking some mis-steps at exactly the wrong time. Some were due to situations caused by others and I was fortunate to avoid bad things happening.

Life happens. The point is you learn to live for yourself if those you live for can't be with you any more.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to PeteC2

i do not really consider my self anti-social

when i was up in washington i went out almost every day!

the only reason why i left was way too much stress

the stress was so bad my hair started falling out (non genetic factor)

i was also losing a lot of weight in that 3 month time period over 30 to 35pounds

I also hated doing peoples food,beer and smoke runs
since June of 09 I lost 50 pounds

210-215 to 165 as of now
it's not like I am lazy or something
that is the only thing I accomplished in that time

nothing to do here in Littlerock,CA

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

the only place i have left is Antelope Valley Community College ("Tuition waiver" net cost is only $1)

but it's very faraway and I do not have a car. the bus transit system sucks out here and would take 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours each way 5 to 7 hours round trip and cost $6-$7 for a all day pass

I'm not sure what you mean by going up to Lancaster. I hope that is promising.

If that doesn't help you ...

I think I would be looking seriously at finding ways to make the Antelope Community College possibility work, such as finding a way to move closer. Get enough roomies to make the living arrangement affordable. Like that. Many, many, many people do not have that kind of opportunity to further their education. I don't think I would turn away from it easily if I were you.

Try to remember that "hard" and "difficult" are not synonymous with "impossible."
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by sortofageek:

said by Anonymous_:

I'm not sure what you mean by going up to Lancaster. I hope that is promising.

If that doesn't help you ...

I think I would be looking seriously at finding ways to make the Antelope Community College possibility work, such as finding a way to move closer. Get enough roomies to make the living arrangement affordable. Like that. Many, many, many people do not have that kind of opportunity to further their education. I don't think I would turn away from it easily if I were you.

Try to remember that "hard" and "difficult" are not synonymous with "impossible."
well do not have a job I only have a little bit of money I made off of ebay

like 2,500

I only have 900 since I lent some if it out to my mom/dad

also if I left I would no longer qualify for Tuition Waver

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Instead of looking at what you don't have, try looking on the positive side.

Look at what you might do. Make the best plan you can and then don't waste time with the negative thoughts. Believe that you can. Give it everything you possibly can. Work to make the plan succeed.

For example, instead of focusing on the fact you don't have a job, give every effort to finding a job and an adequate living arrangement near that college where you have a chance to further your education.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

I didn't see that and don't really understand it.
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits

said by sortofageek:

said by Anonymous_:

I didn't see that and don't really understand it.
certain household minimum requirement(not income) I would no longer have if I moved
AVC is going to be last resort

I going to check out some other place that is only a few miles away tomorrow

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 edits

2 recommendations

That's the spirit. Keep knocking on doors. An education is certainly a good choice toward brightening that future of which you spoke. Give it your all. Don't allow yourself excuses. Take no prisoners. You won't be sorry.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Anonymous_

Ok, Anonymous_, here are some thoughts:

Back when I was about 26 years old and raising a family of immigrated children and wife I worked as a legal courier. It was dangerous work in as much as how much driving I did, twice I was almost killed. The first time I heard a voice inside me tell me to slow down and not try and make a traffic light. Immediately after stopping I saw a shadow come down over me. Moments later after a light change I drove out into the intersection in downtown Houston to see that a scaffolding had crashed down for many stories over head and had killed a number of people right after going across the intersection diagonally.

The second time I was in a car that was my treasure. It had been a gift from a boss for my hard work so that I could keep delivering for him. A woman ran a red light and smashed into me, T-boning me in the driver side door. The first officer to arrive told me that it hadn't been raining where it made my car slide away, I could have been killed.

I've had runins with electrical power as well, having been the assistant to an electrician. One time a ballast for a huge lamp exploded with me up 30 feet on a ladder, an A ladder. The electrical arc just missed me by an inch and I came close to falling and breaking my neck. That job had lots of pitfalls.

So you aren't alone friend.

But I have something to tell you that might help you:

JTPA. I don't know if it still exists, but it was a Government JTPA program that I convinced to send me to school. They supplied me with books, tools, and tuition, I did the rest. Sometimes I went a week with no more than a few Texas french fries for one meal in all of 7 days. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I was an RA at school and it did hurt my A average, because I tried so hard to help the kids in my dorm get out of trouble and back on track, but it was a good trade off.

If you have access to the web and patience, search for assistance, if you are young and hard working and willing, something may appear to help you. You know:

I am a total high school drop out. I was put on the street at the age of 15 and had to support myself. I missed most of highschool, but I studied on my own as the years went by and managed to get into technical college, all on a GED. Don't doubt a GED, if you test well after doing some studying on your own using Shaum books, you will do just fine. Some good schools accept GED people. They will make you take additional courses to assure you are ready, but you CAN get into college. Maybe not MIT or Stanford, but I went to one of the best technical colleges in the nation.

If you would like to know more about my school, PM me and I will fill you in, it is an awesome school, high standards, tough challenges, but very rewarding. Expect to do lots of all nighters to get through, but hard work will get you there.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Fight cancer and disease, it's easy, you can get help, and you'll make a difference! »Team Helix »Team Discovery Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

i do not really consider my self anti-social
Sorry, I did not mean to infer that you were! Just meant that even the most anti social of folks may have value to others far beyond their reckoning.
--
Deeds, not words

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sortofageek

said by sortofageek:

That's the spirit. Keep knocking on doors. An education is certainly a good choice toward brightening that future of which you spoke. Give it your all. Don't allow yourself excuses. Take no prisoners. You won't be sorry.
emotionless zombie for the last 5 years did not help

then something clicked bam pretty much felt all of them in the last 5 days

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

Thought about applying for SSI? Yeah it takes awhile to get it. But may help open other doors for you.

You make life what you want it to be. You are in control of your own destiny.

Kristi

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

I'm not sure why you, or anyone is here, but for me at least it's family and trying to do my best for them. Even when I'm long gone I will still live on through their actions and the principles I tried to instill in them.
However, for the short-term, why don't you try and get something going in the computer, hardware/tech sector? You seem more than capable in that area and I think your skills could be very beneficial to others as well as yourself.... just my 2 cents.
--
Team Discovery
Team Helix

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to simplykristi

said by simplykristi:

Thought about applying for SSI? Yeah it takes awhile to get it. But may help open other doors for you.
my parents do not keep stuff between me and them so i do not tell them anything

simplykristi
Cancer Sucks
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Blue Springs, MO

This will have nothing to do with your parents. Your parents don't have to know.

Kristi

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

there is something i left out

out of fear of judgement by people and fear of humilialation that happened 9 years ago