Search similar:

uniqs
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Time Warner Digital Cable Channel Changing Speeds

As someone who enjoys the truth and despises vicious lies and attacks, here’s a short video that I shot from my Evo a short while ago. No digital break ups, no 5+ seconds to change channels, no nothing, but responsiveness and excellence. Just what I’ve come to expect from Time Warner. Some people here have made a point to continuously attack Time Warner for reasons that are unknown to me. Either they have a beef with them and just like to openly bash them or have has faulty equipment. As you can see, no problems here. I made a point to try a wide variety of channels, SD, SD SDV, HD, HD SDV, Premium, non Premium, a little bit of everything so I could expose the truth. I apologize for the poor lighting and my shaking hand, but you should get the idea. But the proof is right here.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· CVJCugNU

Time Warner Cable, Rochester, NY using the Cisco Explorer 8640HDC running Navigator ODN 3.2.0_15 connected to my Sony Grand Wega 42” HDTV via HDMI with HDMI video switching done by a Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Steve, you do not live where I live (and that is indeed a good thing) and yes, my channel changes earlier this afternoon were taking at least 5 seconds. I do not choose to tell untruthful stuff here. My wife was sitting right here with me as I manually punched in channel numbers into the controller and nothing would happen. And yes, the batteries in the controller are fine. I was literally punching in channel 1065 and the TV would stick on the prior channel and continue on that channel until it decided to change and it did the same thing with several other channel changes to other channels.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Ever think of having a tech come out and take a look at the signal levels? This isn’t satellite, tech visits are free. Or how about exchanging your cable box for a new one? And by that I mean a Cisco one, not the crap Samsung pushed out that TW is going to stop deploying? ODN Navigator on the 8640HDC is win-win. Rock solid, speedy and feature rich. Whatever issue you have or think you have are clearly on your end or with your connection, because as you can see, as always, TW outshines the rest here.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
No TWC is still going to continue using Samsung for now, but they are now going to try using Motorola.

TDev
Premium Member
join:2004-12-16
Saint Marys, OH

TDev to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Actually, I have just about the same hardware setup as you: Sony via HDMI, New Cisco box, etc. There are huge lag times between channel changes because I have my TW box setup on "automatic" when recognizing channel resolutions. If I set everything to, say, 1080i, then the channel changes are absolutely sprightly. But moving between 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i is like slogging through the slush of a western Ohio winter. So, do you have your box set to only one resolution, or do you have your box set on "automatic" as I do? This is an important consideration, IMO.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Happydude32

to Happydude32
This is because you have an HD box that has MORE RAM,ETC.....

Some of us have STANDARD BOX'S (Not wanting that extra crap) and its slow as hell!!!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

Some of us have STANDARD BOX'S (Not wanting that extra crap) and its slow as hell!!!
Do you also have a propane powered TV?

Hob

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to rv65

to rv65
say goodbye to Navigator. I don't think motorola boxes can handle navigator. Heck it takes comcast 5 years to design a new guide for the motorola box.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

say goodbye to Navigator. I don't think motorola boxes can handle navigator. Heck it takes comcast 5 years to design a new guide for the motorola box.
Try closer 20. The iGuide software running on the Motorola boxes has been around since the mid to early 90's before it was ported... Here in DFW it's like being stuck in the stone ages.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 edit

mikedz4 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
I know. I'm considering moving so i can get navigator or dish/directv or fios or uverse.

But at least time warner customers are supposed to get navigator on motorola boxes by the end of the year.
Us comcast people are stuck with windows 95 guide until at least end of 2011 unless that changes.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to Racerbob

to Racerbob
said by Racerbob:

Steve, you do not live where I live (and that is indeed a good thing) and yes, my channel changes earlier this afternoon were taking at least 5 seconds. I do not choose to tell untruthful stuff here. My wife was sitting right here with me as I manually punched in channel numbers into the controller and nothing would happen. And yes, the batteries in the controller are fine. I was literally punching in channel 1065 and the TV would stick on the prior channel and continue on that channel until it decided to change and it did the same thing with several other channel changes to other channels.
Shoot a video and post it online.
etaadmin

etaadmin to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by 19579823:

Do you also have a propane powered TV?

Hob
Close, a mechanical TV. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me ··· levision

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
I do not have time to shoot a video and post it online. This is not a constant problem here...rather an occasional problem. Yesterday I honestly tried to change to 1065 while on another channel.. the banner at the bottom showed 1065, but the channel that I was on continued playing right along as if I had done nothing with the controller. Eventually the channel that I had chosen came up. So then as a test I tried the same technique with several other channel changes and the same thing was happening. Later on, this issue cleared up. So yes, there are occasional issues and quite frankly, I have grown used to it. I do have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR box at this time.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
If I set everything to, say, 1080i, then the channel changes are absolutely sprightly. But moving between 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i is like slogging through the slush of a western Ohio winter. So, do you have your box set to only one resolution, or do you have your box set on "automatic" as I do? This is an important consideration, IMO.
I have everything set to output 1080i. I see no real benefit to using native, tried it for a few weeks, noticed nothing other then SD looks terrible when it's not upconverted.. No matter who your service provider is or who makes the hardware, if you use native there will always be a delay as the box needs to decode a new resolution.
quote:
This is because you have an HD box that has MORE RAM,ETC.....

Do you realized you just put down HD and complimed HD hardware at the same time? And while I know you haven't noticed that HD is the future yet, Time Warner is only ordering HD boxes right now, in fact Cisco doesn't even make SD only boxes anymore. You do know you can connect an HD set top box to a SDTV, right? And by 'some of us' you mean 'you'. And what does it matter anyway, I thought you had DirecTV?
quote:
But at least time warner customers are supposed to get navigator on motorola boxes by the end of the year.
Us comcast people are stuck with windows 95 guide until at least end of 2011 unless that changes.
Don't get Time Warner because Navigator is PURE TRASH
quote:
I do not have time to shoot a video and post it online. This is not a constant problem here...rather an occasional problem. Yesterday I honestly tried to change to 1065 while on another channel.. the banner at the bottom showed 1065, but the channel that I was on continued playing right along as if I had done nothing with the controller. Eventually the channel that I had chosen came up. So then as a test I tried the same technique with several other channel changes and the same thing was happening. Later on, this issue cleared up. So yes, there are occasional issues and quite frankly, I have grown used to it. I do have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR box at this time.
Seriously it takes a matter of minutes. You don't need a fancy video camera, just whip out your smartphone and record. I didn’t bother to dig out the ole Sony digital camcorder, just took out my phone. Only problem I had was I wasn’t thinking and recorded it in 720p HD and the file size was too big so I couldn’t upload directly from the phone, I had to massively down grade resolution. The whole process took literally 8 minutes from the second I hit record to when I uploaded it. So just don’t record it in HD and you’ll be fine. If you can find the time to post your problems here, you should have the time to make a short no frills video showing us all. Maybe someone on here can help. And are you thinking about having a tech come out or exchanging your box? No one on here can help you if you don’t help yourself first.

I'll tell you right now, while it wasn't 5+ seconds, channel changing on the 8640HDC is faster then what I was getting with the Sci Atl 8240HDC.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

I have no smart phone, no camera phone, nor does my wife. We use cell phones to make phone calls. What a novel idea. It is not a constant problem...we will live with it and chalk it up to Time Warner's occasional mess ups. Yes, they do happen.

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15 to TDev

Anon

to TDev
I have heard that setting the box on "automatic" for the resolution will downgrade PQ. I believe the poster said the TV generally decodes the resolution better than the cable box. I do know the channels change much quicker if the cable box is set to "1080i". What are all of your thoughts on PQ with the different settings?

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

1 edit

ds5v50 to Racerbob

to Racerbob
said by Racerbob:

It is not a constant problem...we will live with it and chalk it up to Time Warner's occasional mess ups. Yes, they do happen.
I just swapped out this SA DVR for one of the Cisco DVR's and the Channel change slowness and crap has disappeared. I honestly think this one is better then the Samsung Box I had to swap out for the SA.

TDev
Premium Member
join:2004-12-16
Saint Marys, OH

TDev to jacko15

Premium Member

to jacko15
Thanks, jacko15. I've reset my box to 1080i and there appears to be no problem with SD or HD channels.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
LOL. This is century #21, who uses a cell phone to talk on these days?

I know you never answer questions I pose to you, but you failed to mention if you have any plans to get a tech out to your house or maybe swap out your box. So for the 3rd or 4th time, do you? As usual you have no motivation is help yourself out, because it's much easier to blame Time Warner then take some initiative.

ChillyCat6
join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

8640HDC
Sorry "Lil Stevie"

Your video don't do much towards convincing anyone of anything.
As has been mentioned , your area is different than
others , and therefore cannot be quantified as a
baseline of channel swapping speed.
Basically, you just pizzed all over yourself,
for nothing....nada.

I have openly expressed my feelings towards TW
, and to some, I'd be described as "kinda" a fanboy.
My satisfaction score is easily a 98%.
The 2% suck factor is clearly centered around channel swapping speeds.
It's not good.

Once the transition to the Navagator happened,
the whole experience changed. I've gone on about
this in the "proper" forum titled Navigator.
Anyhoooo, you may be satisfied with
your channel swapping speed.....few others will
accept this nonsense as acceptable.

BTW: That's one "cute" little poster you have taped up on the wall.
That in itself, answered lotsa questions.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Keep spewing your hate. It's laughable. Bob and I are served by the same Time Warner franchise and it should give a good enough general overview. And likewise his hatrid speaks for no one other then himself. He says channel changing is slow, I said it's not and I posted proof.

Despite what you haters say, Navigator is one of the best things to happen to Time Warner besides SDV. Tons of new features with more on the way. There is absoutley nothing wrong with Navigator, people just like to bitch about change. Channel changing with Time Warner and Navigator ios no faster nor slower then TW with SARA, Dish Network, DirecTV or even Gods gift Fios. I couldn't be happier with the present state of Navigator other then roll out Remote DVR here and get an Android app, and speed is not an issue.
quote:
I've gone on about
this in the "proper" forum titled Navigator.
There is no Navigator Forum here. That would be called a 'Thread'
quote:
Anyhoooo, you may be satisfied with
your channel swapping speed.....few others will
accept this nonsense as acceptable.

Judging by what you have seen with your own eyes, would you consider my channel chaning speeds acceptable? I personally think it's fine. I've had both Dish and DirecTV, channel chaning on them is no faster, when I'm at the houses of the grand total of two people I know with Fios, channel changing speed is the same.
quote:
BTW: That's one "cute" little poster you have taped up on the wall.
That in itself, answered lotsa questions.
You must not have the maturity level needed to understand South Park if you have to resort making attacks on a poster showing off my love for what is perhaps the best show ever on TV. Don’t feel bad though, a lot of people are too blind to see what South Park is really about.

ChillyCat6
Chesterland, OH

1 edit

ChillyCat6

said by Happydude32:

*Channel changing with Time Warner and Navigator is no faster nor slower then TW with SARA,
In summation of your reply, especially this *diddy: ignorant
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I can't quite comprehend the point you are trying to make. Your jibberish failed to answer my question. Once again, Judging by what you have seen with your own eyes, would you consider my channel changing speeds acceptable?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Happydude32:

I can't quite comprehend the point you are trying to make. Your jibberish failed to answer my question. Once again, Judging by what you have seen with your own eyes, would you consider my channel changing speeds acceptable?
I have to say I was pretty impressed with your speed of channel changing, however I have to say that it does not match what I have seen and heard from many others across the North East. There is a number of different makes, models and set top boxes out there and your experience might not match others.

As already stated how you have the output resolution configured makes a difference as does what packages you subscribe too and how the TV is connected to the box. Sometimes even the brand of the TV can impact the communication between the box and the TV.

Just because you are having no issues someone with another box and another TV and set up differently can have another experience.

Hob

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Consider the inconsiderate, stuck up, all knowing and unbending source. I am sure that you already have Hob. His mama did a real good job and she still is.

Thanks for your comment Hob. You strive to look at things a bit more objectively even though your livelihood depends on the very company that we are talking about here.
NightOwl0
join:2010-08-15

NightOwl0 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
"reply to Racerbob
LOL. This is century #21, who uses a cell phone to talk on these days?"

I use my cell phone to talk on and so do hundreds of people in my area. Did not have a camera phone until I received an upgrade for a birthday present. Yes, that's right, what a novel idea! I couldn't spare the money as my old simple Samsung was adequate. No one in my family has web access because it is outrageously expensive with our carrier. It's a few dollars less than my regular internet access.

I have a lot of flickering and brief box resets and have never found the reason. It even happens when I am at work with very little power draw in my home, so I don't believe it is caused by the air conditioners, washing machine, etc. My neighbor does not have the same problem.
And it doesn't bother me enough to have a tech visit or exchange the box.

I also have a small 20 tv with a regular box. No HD set up - costs too much. In this economy, I conserve my daily dollars and put aside for emergencies and retirement. My employment is not secure. Again this is not unusual among my family and friends. It is a choice. There is often freezing of certain channels which is a broadcast issue from that company as it happens wherever I live or place the television. If other channels start macro blocking, yes I am on the phone to the cable provider.

On the other hand, I frequently have problems with my computer and accessing the internet. This is NOT my internet connection - it is my type of computer and browser and again I don't have extra funds to upgrade. It is what it is.

Subscribers are often quick to blame the cable provider for any problem, which under investigation reveals to be a personal equipment shortcoming or defect. If your tv doesn't turn on, you have removed the cable box connection and plugged your tv into a different outlet, who is responsible? The cable link is discarded. You have no power to the television. Cable providers do not come out to service the tv.

On the flip side, the new dvr is stuck on NOCA or has another error message. No picture, not authorized for service. You take the box in and exchange, still having problems. There are six other converters in the home, all working. Although inconvenient, the tech still needs to come out. Now it is the cable company's responsibility.

The situations vary. And there is no one set answer.
oldbuzzard
join:2001-12-06
Austin, TX

oldbuzzard to TDev

to TDev
said by TDev:

Actually, I have just about the same hardware setup as you: Sony via HDMI, New Cisco box, etc. There are huge lag times between channel changes because I have my TW box setup on "automatic" when recognizing channel resolutions. If I set everything to, say, 1080i, then the channel changes are absolutely sprightly. But moving between 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i is like slogging through the slush of a western Ohio winter. So, do you have your box set to only one resolution, or do you have your box set on "automatic" as I do? This is an important consideration, IMO.
If you have DVR box, it won't hold the settings and will revert back to automatic.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"If you have DVR box, it won't hold the settings and will revert back to automatic."

Maybe true in your area, not here.

Hob

ChillyCat6
Chesterland, OH

ChillyCat6 to NightOwl0

to NightOwl0
said by NightOwl0:

The situations vary. And there is no one set answer.
EXACTLY !! [as has been stated by others]

But still, we have this persistent numbnutz that
somhow knows exactly how our equipment
operates in our own homes....100's if not 1000's
of miles away.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

1 edit

Racerbob

Premium Member