how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Cost reality check...

I imagine that some households require that +$100/month subscription. But not the majority.
(Sports packages, 3 or more HDTV DVRs, PPV, ...) but some I know have cut the cord (due to cost and quality).

Extra box fees.
Almost bi-monthy channel re-org (under the guise WE ARE ADDING MORE CHANNELS).
Moving good channels to higher-cost tier.
Charging more per hour/per household.
Yes, the economy. I think the figure is more like 14% unemployed or greater number of employed with pay cuts, no more bonuses, and poor annual increase.

When salaries go down or flat, and prices get inflated...something is going to break.(Hopefully them before me!)

BTW, I cut the cord on FiosTV a year ago. How about you?

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

$100/month? Yeah right. My cable bill exceeds $300/month on a regular basis depending on what sports are in season. Digital cable with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Encore, Sports Tier, HD Tier, Latino Tier, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, ESPN Game Plan, 2 HD DVRs, Road Runner Turbo and Digital Phone. Disney On Demand, Stern On Demand, the gay channel, the Russian channel, NBA League Pass, MLS Direct Kick and ESPN Full Court are the only services I don’t subscribe to.

quote:
Extra box fees.

Cable companies lease out hardware. They don't get the terminals free from Motorola or Cisco thus they charge a fee.

quote:
Almost bi-monthy channel re-org (under the guise WE ARE ADDING MORE CHANNELS).

quote:
Moving good channels to higher-cost tier.

For every one analog channel that is removed on put on digital, two HD channels can be added. That is a good thing for three reasons. 1) Bandwidth is used more efficiently 2) More HD channels 3) No more fuzzy analog channels. How and why people can want analog cable is beyond me. Plus this is 2010, the word 'analog' should be removed from the dictionary.

Analog removal and requiring digital terminals is a very good thing.

quote:
Charging more per hour/per household.

????