This is a sub-selection from A pipe dream

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Nightfall

Re: A pipe dream

said by Nightfall:

Until....

1. Content you want to watch can be easily found.
2. The technology exists where you can watch it anytime you want.
3. The technology is easy to plug in and go.
4. The content is 720p, 1080i, or 1080p
5. All streams are 100% legal
6. The output to the TV is easy.

You won't see the cord cutting happening widespread. Case in point, I love live sports. What I don't love is trying to find these live sports streamed over the internet. The Versus debacle on Directv is a good case in point. If I wanted to watch hockey on Versus, I had to find a stream for it. Browsing all over the place for the streams and then finding something that would lose its picture was just not acceptable.
Yeah the streams you found sucked because they were illegal. The NHL offers legal broadband streaming.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

1 edit
said by 88615298:

said by Nightfall:

Until....

1. Content you want to watch can be easily found.
2. The technology exists where you can watch it anytime you want.
3. The technology is easy to plug in and go.
4. The content is 720p, 1080i, or 1080p
5. All streams are 100% legal
6. The output to the TV is easy.

You won't see the cord cutting happening widespread. Case in point, I love live sports. What I don't love is trying to find these live sports streamed over the internet. The Versus debacle on Directv is a good case in point. If I wanted to watch hockey on Versus, I had to find a stream for it. Browsing all over the place for the streams and then finding something that would lose its picture was just not acceptable.
Yeah the streams you found sucked because they were illegal. The NHL offers legal broadband streaming.
For $160 for the season AND blackout rules apply.

Remember, the whole idea behind cord cutting is to be able to view the same content on the TV like we do with DVRs today at the same quality level for free or at least a very limited cost. I don't know many people who would drop that kind of money to watch in a crappy format over the internet. Not only to the content providers need to get their crap together, but the internet speeds as a whole need to go up and the caps need to disappear.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

The NHL offers legal broadband streaming.
For out-of-market games only.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

It's still no comparison to broadcast HD game coverage. It's great in a pinch, but it is only an acceptable alternative to broadcast HD if your standards are very low.

tjb122982

join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN
reply to bt
said by bt:

said by 88615298:

The NHL offers legal broadband streaming.
For out-of-market games only.
Blackouts is the biggest reason why I am not going to cut the cord. When the sports leagues decide to drop their stupid blackout rules and put more of the games online. I'll cut it.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to espaeth
said by espaeth:

said by 88615298:

It's still no comparison to broadcast HD game coverage. It's great in a pinch, but it is only an acceptable alternative to broadcast HD if your standards are very low.
This is the same for every stream I have found. Yes, I can watch Lost in HD right on ABC's website. No, I can't put it on my HDTV without getting some kind of TV out card or cable from my PC. As you said, its great in a pinch, but not where it needs to be.

The real cord cutting will happen eventually, but it will probably take 10-20 years.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

For $160 for the season
The expectation of getting everything for FREE is the biggest hinderance to getting more content online.

AND blackout rules apply.
I live out of market. So for me $2 a game does not seem that outrageous.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by espaeth:

said by 88615298:

This is the same for every stream I have found. Yes, I can watch Lost in HD right on ABC's website. No, I can't put it on my HDTV without getting some kind of TV out card or cable from my PC.
So what if you have to spend less than $100 on a card and HDMI cord? People pay that for just ONE month of cable. Also last time I checked ABC is a BROADCAST network surely you have a ABC station near you.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to espaeth
said by espaeth:

said by 88615298:

No my standards are not low. If paying $1000 a year or more in cable bills is worth getting hockey in the "HD" that is acceptable to you then more power to you.

nsayer

join:2004-09-30
Santa Clara, CA
reply to tjb122982
said by tjb122982:

Blackouts is the biggest reason why I am not going to cut the cord. When the sports leagues decide to drop their stupid blackout rules and put more of the games online. I'll cut it.
You'll wait forever.

The purpose of the blackout rules is to insure that they have fans in the stadium to watch the game live.

tjb122982

join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN
said by nsayer:

said by tjb122982:

You'll wait forever.

The purpose of the blackout rules is to insure that they have fans in the stadium to watch the game live.
That's only the NFL. MLB's policy is based on protecting local broadcasters.

I can't watch the Cubs on either Extra Innings or MLB.tv because MLB wants to protect CSN Chicago but the thing is that Time Warner in Terre Haute doesn't carry CSN Chicago; and all my attempts to get my parents to switch to satellite have failed.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag···t_policy

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

No my standards are not low. If paying $1000 a year or more in cable bills is worth getting hockey in the "HD" that is acceptable to you then more power to you.
On a 60" display the NueLion feeds are flat out painful to watch.

Between DirecTV and Shaw Direct (Canadian satellite) my bills are a bit north of $1k/year, but considering the cost of my Wild season tickets, even paying for Center Ice and basic service for both providers is the best value in the world.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to tjb122982
said by tjb122982:

That's only the NFL. MLB's policy is based on protecting local broadcasters.
Somewhat the same for the NHL, except they also use it to protect a team's territory. Without Center Ice, you can't watch most games that aren't national broadcasts (exempt from regional blackouts) or involve the team who's broadcast region you're in.

gettagrip

@141.191.20.x
reply to espaeth
Man, I am so lucky that I hate sports.

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
said by gettagrip :

Man, I am so lucky that I hate sports.
+1

My only vice is WRC, and as far as I know, it's not aired in the states.