how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK

Arris Tm722g emta now for sale at Best Buy.

Some of you have been asking about this.

As of August 29, 2010, the Arris TM722G eMTA will be available for customer purchase in Best Buy Connection Center locations Nationwide.

-Only a professional installation is available in deployed markets, Self Installation is not available at this time. Standard professional installation charges apply.
-All eMTA warranty and battery support will be managed directly through Best Buy and Arris.
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA

1 edit

I'm going to see if it's actually available at my local BB today. Will let you know the details later.

Edit: Sales rep at Best Buy says yes, they will be on sale, but haven't arrived yet. No idea when either. FYI, this is at the Santa Rosa, CA location.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to caco

Do you know the price? I was not able to locate on their website.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to caco

Click for full size
FWIW, this was just posted in the comcast.net help forums;

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to caco

Pittsburgh had this up and running as early as the 27th

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to caco

not at our local worstbuy yet.. still wondering how much this is and how easy it'd be to swap out our current leased d2 arris for this one..

hopefully someone finds one and posts the prices..

ats

join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA

per internal memo $149.99,YMMV and as mentioned before you wont be able to do a self install, tech has to do it.

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
reply to caco

At $150 plus and at least $20 for the service call to swap modems (for existing users) it will take about 3 years to pay for the $5/month rental from Comcast. If you have problems with service and Comcast determines the problem is with your equipment they are going to charge for the trouble call. Is Arris going to offer an advanced exchange if the modem fails under warrantee? If not then you will be without service until the modem is repaired/replaced. I would much rather pay the $5/month.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ats

said by ats:

per internal memo $149.99,YMMV and as mentioned before you wont be able to do a self install, tech has to do it.
Price is OKish, though a bit on the high side..

As for FORCED tech visit, how hard can it be unplugging 3 wires, replacing old arris (and inet modem) with new arris and making a phone call to Comcast with the new MACs?
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

saratoga66

Saratoga, CA

I think Comcast want to make sure the signal levels are ok and that the EMTA is being installed at the account address for liability reasons.

ats

join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

said by ats:

As for FORCED tech visit, how hard can it be unplugging 3 wires, replacing old arris (and inet modem) with new arris and making a phone call to Comcast with the new MACs?
not sure about that but for one thing emta provisioning is being handled by us and DOJ not by by regular CAEs.

ingenioustm2

join:2007-03-07
Acushnet, MA
reply to caco

watches as the repeats roll in ... no dial tone on a kitchen jack lolhard shorting etc....

this is only good for phone plugged directly in modem
and sub must have internet now... otherwise there installing it on the 10th splitter with a snubbie drop

Expand your moderator at work

gapboy118

join:2005-10-09
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to pokesph

Re: Arris Tm722g emta now for sale at Best Buy.

Gonna go back to BB today and see if they have it in stock. They didn't have any when I went last week. But yeah, so far it's looking like $149, but I'll know for sure if they have it.

Cody4567

@comcast.net
reply to caco

Click for full size
After i heard about this modem i chatted with Comcast and had my Arris TM602G replaced with the TM722G today. Comcast gave me a 8-Hour Battery back-ups with this modem which was very nice and adds alot of weight to it. My old Arris TM602G had had the 4-Hour battery. The tech let me keep the box and documents. He said that they had JUST got these modems in...They had trouble connecting mine with the Telephony side but got it working in about 10 mins. They had Firmware problems too which took up most of the time to wait for and he had to end up calling to have the FW pushed to the modem. USB isn't on this modem BTW only Ethernet. This is Comcast from Houston, Texas area. From what he told me, these modems don't come with ANY firmware out the box and will have to connect to the server to get the firmware upon install. That's why it took so long i guess...

Firmware Name: TS070198_071510_MODEL_7
Firmware Build Time: Thu Jul 15 11:39:41 EDT 2010

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

said by ats:

I bought from Bestbuy yesterday around 10:30. Paid $149.99 plus tax. On the the box it has self install kit with emta. Got home wrote down the mac and s/n numbers to give tech support when got it hooked up. I called tech support to give the numbers and she told me it had to be professional install. I told her why does it have self install on the box for the. She told that was for a new install only.
I asked her what is the price to have it installed. She said $50.00. That made me hot I did not yell at her it not her fault. I told her I would not pay to have some one change 4 wires around that i would go to another company for phone and internet. After while she gives me another phone number to try. I called them and asked talked to them.
They said that I had to take to the Comcast connection center. I take the box and numbers back to bestbuy but they said that they did not setup modems. When i got back I called Comcast support back and told them what Bestbuy said. Ts said they would try and change it over. I gave them numbers of the new emta and the old emta. It did not work so he put me on hold then asked me what store did I buy it from. I told them the store and he came and said that was not a comcast connection store and he gave the store that was.
I take the emta the Comcast connection store and get one there. The guy spends about 15 min on the computer and tells I should ready to go. I get home No internet no phone. Called tech again gave the numbers to her could not get it to work. She said that I would have to have a tech come out to install it.
I then got online chat and he went threw entering the number again and hitting the emta which was a no go.
Now it 8:30 pm and the new number I got is closed for the night. I get this morning and the new number she told me that I would have to have tech support to install it. Again I said why does it take a tech to install a 15 year customer but a new customer does not have pay to pay. I told her what happen yesterday and she told that they should not have sold a existing customer without informing me about the tech install.
She said since I went thru all of that she would give me a $50.00 credit for the install.
I do not know if that easy to just call the numbers in or what. Took me 9 hrs and still do not have it working. Right now I am using the old one for the phone and the tm722 for internet service.
sorry about the grammar and long post.
--
Caddy

bhickman1

@comcast.net

double jack: top jack as follows, clockwise, beginning at the 1:00 position, blk, red, green, yellow,
2 Line feed, (non cat 5) Paired Blks to Green, Paired Yellows to Red.
Bottom Jack: clockwise: red , yellow, blk, green,
Paired Reds to red, Paired Greens to green. Out from Router to Top, bottom to telephone.

bhickman1

@comcast.net
reply to Caddyroger

Except the installation includes the outside wiring into the telephone box. And the diagram is for the inside phone wiring to a wall jack for phone service. Broadband setup is a no-brainer.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by bhickman1 :

Except the installation includes the outside wiring into the telephone box. And the diagram is for the inside phone wiring to a wall jack for phone service. Broadband setup is a no-brainer.
Yes but if you have an existing D2 eMTA you already have all that set up it SHOULD just be a simple plug, call, and play install.

there is always a catch isn't there?
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23

Why wire it to the outside box? Since telephone systems are wired in parallel, why not just plug it in a jack?

saratoga66

Saratoga, CA

said by nysports4evr:

Why wire it to the outside box? Since telephone systems are wired in parallel, why not just plug it in a jack?
If the home has an alarm system it will not be able to communicate if you simply back feed an existing jack.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23

Ah.

bhickman1

@comcast.net

I already had the professional installation. I moved the modem to a different room and the telephone wouldn't work. I had to remove the original jack make note of the wire config., and duplicate it.
The wires must feed from the router. All is well.

bhickman1

@comcast.net
reply to caco

The other jacks supporting the phones have between one and three lines to them wired clockwise red, yellow, blk, green. I hope this helps. I could only find links to the router logon.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to caco

The modem is not up on best buys website to purchase at a local store or online.As for the five dollar fee I would much rather pay and have my own modem and as for the replacement issue as long as you have the dang thing in a place where its at room temp and can breathe with signals as close to optimal as you can get them,you won't have any problem with the modem.People get on here all the time and complain about junkie equipment but always fail to mention the modem is out in the garage where its about 130 degrees with the carport door down during the summer crap like that.The install issue is a bit interesting though because when I was hooked up the tech or should I say installer had the internet up in a few minutes but the phone took about 30 to 45 minutes.I bought my own HSI modem and I had it working in about 10 minutes without calling anybody.On the activation screen it ask if its a EMTA or just a HSI modem so you better believe I will try before I call and have the tech sent out because that sounds like hogwash to get the install fee.They can get a ball park reading of the signals from the modem so that's crap as well.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

said by Jasonfn22:

The modem is not up on best buys website to purchase at a local store or online.

People get on here all the time and complain about junkie equipment but always fail to mention the modem is out in the garage where its about 130 degrees with the carport door down during the summer crap like that.
You won't find it online at Best Buy until it's available in most markets. Local is limited to certain markets.

As for modem location: you crack me up with the garage example. I'm sure someone may have theirs in a garage, but it certainly is not a common location posted in these forums.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

FWIW - I mounted them in garages all the time. Most of them were conditioned spaces, however. Fairly common practice when the customer needs an emta and a modem.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jasonfn22

I had to have my tm722g emta installed. I got to the activation screen and it asked me for my account number. I entered it and it came back that their was no account with that number. I spent about 9 hrs on the phone with 3 or 4 different sections of comcast support. They could not get the phone to work.
I believe the installer today entered more then the mac numbers. It possible that their more to it when you have a existing account then a new account.
--
Caddy

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
reply to beachintech

With your post, that's only the 2nd time I've read about a garage install.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

I had to have my tm722g emta installed. I got to the activation screen and it asked me for my account number. I entered it and it came back that their was no account with that number. I spent about 9 hrs on the phone with 3 or 4 different sections of comcast support. They could not get the phone to work.
I believe the installer today entered more then the mac numbers. It possible that their more to it when you have a existing account then a new account.
Yeah, there has to be a workorder in the system for that to work.

You need a tech on site to provision phone service.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.