join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: A pipe dream

said by FFH5:

said by ArrayList:

i'm probably an expection, but of all the people I know only those over the age of 30 have cable/satellite.
That is because they are the ones with jobs; houses; and HDTV's. Those under 30 are living in their parent's basements jobless or underemployed and using a PC screen to watch things.
are you being serious? or are you just trolling? I was being serious. I own my home. I choose to save over $1200/year not owning a tv and subscribing to cable. I do have an 1080p capable monitor that plays blu ray just fine. I know many under 30's that live on their own (condos, apartments, etc) that have hdtv's too. they just choose to watch ota.

hdtv's are not a status symbol.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

I know many under 30's that live on their own (condos, apartments, etc) that have hdtv's too.
And I know many that are not living on their own.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo ··· neration
He cites Canadian census statistics showing that, in 1981, 27.5% of Canadians aged 20–29 lived with their parents; in 2001, the figure had grown to 41%. In United States the proportion of adults ages 20 to 34 living with their parents has increased from 9% in 1960 to almost 17% in 2000.
The Japanese have an interesting name for it: Parasite Single:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa ··· e_single
According to a 1998 survey by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, about 60% of single men and 80% of single women between the ages of 20 and 34 live with their parents.[citation needed] These numbers have been steadily increasing since 1976.
It appears to be a world wide situation in industrialized countries.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

ah. i forget about those people. I graduated years back with many many of them. Thanks for reminding me. Took me about a decade to forget that people are that unambitious.

I think of mom's and dad's that pay for every last thing for their kids. For christs sakes people teach your children some damn independence. sink or swim. whats it gunna be?

disconnected
@snet.net

2 recommendations

disconnected to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
I think you may find a correlation between the numer of 'parasite singles' and the size/cost of government. In the old days, it was possible to own a home, nice car and have the wife stay home and raise the children, all while having enough left over to save for the future. Oh, eh, income tax back then was less than one percent and property taxes... $12/year.

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium Member
join:2004-08-30
Newark, OH

Dryvlyne

Premium Member

BS... ever heard of the credit crunch? People in this country don't own anything but debt. Personal debt in this country has skyrocketed over the past 3 decades and is part of the reason why the current recession is so painful.
56403739 (banned)
Less than 5 months left
join:2006-03-08
Naples, FL

56403739 (banned)

said by Dryvlyne:

BS... ever heard of the credit crunch? People in this country don't own anything but debt. Personal debt in this country has skyrocketed over the past 3 decades and is part of the reason why the current recession is so painful.
I think you missed the humor...

$12 property taxes....
less than 1% income taxes...

I own lots of things, and they are all debt-free. Personal responsibility and smart money management can be a wonderful thing.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:
said by FFH5:
said by ArrayList:

i'm probably an expection, but of all the people I know only those over the age of 30 have cable/satellite.
That is because they are the ones with jobs; houses; and HDTV's. Those under 30 are living in their parent's basements jobless or underemployed and using a PC screen to watch things.
hdtv's are not a status symbol.
concur. you can't even buy a new tv that isn't hd these days.

gettagrip
@141.191.20.x

gettagrip to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
These stats are deceptive due to the age range. I'd bet the numbers are heavily weighted towards the 20-23 age group. Many of these people are likely still in college and many of them still live with their parents while school is not in session. College attendance is also up compared to years ago. And lets not forget those who enlist in the military straight out of high school and continue to list their parents' address as their home address until their tour of duty is up.

I'd be willing to bet the numbers would greatly change if you narrowed the age range to 24-34.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
or because the "free market" artifically brought prices for houses etc up to a price that younger people can no longer afford
« Sling itI won't cord cut... »
This is a sub-selection from A pipe dream