Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Justin024

join:2010-08-11
Irving, TX
reply to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

I've been using my TiVo Premier for the past few days and I love it! Of course, the tech installation went horribly wrong. I ended up calling tech support and eventually someone in the TWC forum **correctly** activated my cable card. Why doesn't anybody from TWC know what the hell they're doing?

ANYWAY! There are a few features I miss on TWC's DVR:

* Backlighted remote! (i found an app on my phone that could poss fix this)

* Toggle from recorded show to live TV! That was one of the best features on TWC's pos box. I loved being able to go back and forth with 1 click.

* Simple search. TiVo's can be a little complicated. Sometimes I just want to do a search and hit record, not go through a bunch of layered options.

* Season Pass/Series Recording. IDK why when I set a Season Pass [First-Run Only] it still records repeats? For example, when I set Real Housewives of Atlanta it says 69 upcoming eps but I only want first run? How is it TWC's box can but TiVo's won't?

Thats about it. I love it so far and I look forward to checking out Pandora, Netflix, and Blockbuster's VOD offerings.

bwillcox

join:2010-09-14
Lewisville, TX
-Because they make their money from renting you a box vs a cablecard + TA. They only offer that because the FCC says they have to, and even then you can't transfer anything off the box with TTG besides Big 3 network shows.

-Tivo makes a backlit remote, and even makes a Bluetooth backlit remote with a slideout keyboard (which is the one I have, pricey but works great)

-You can do this by hitting the Live TV button on the remote which will take you immediately to whatever the tuner(s) are looking at.

-Agreed they need to pull Search to a top level item, but you can highlight a show in the guide and hit Record and get the recording options screen (set an SP, run options, etc)

-Usually when I see that it is due to incomplete/generic guide data from Tribune for an episode, but my THD has been running for some time. Usually this gets fixed with later guide downloads so I rarely see this issue.

If you just set up the box. it hasn't had time to build some history in its database. Give it some time to run and build up some history in its DB and it won't do that anymore.

Remember it also has Youtube, Amazon VOD support, and will go out and get podcasts for you from places like Revision 3, CNET, etc.

Enjoy your Premiere.
-b-

Justin024

join:2010-08-11
Irving, TX
Thanks for responding! I ordered the remote earlier..thanks for letting me know TiVo had one.

Well..I know I can hit the TiVo button to go back live, but I can't go back to the recorded show by using only 1 button.

I think you're right about the guide data. I assumed everyone got their guide data from the same provider. I'm going to wait a few more days to see if it fixes itself and I'll also test it on other shows.

Thanks so much for your help.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
kudos:1
reply to bwillcox
said by bwillcox:

(I want my BBCA, doggoneit!)

Just had TW fix that today. I'm a new convert to TiVo and
immediatly knew I wuz missing some channels. Today, after
once again messing with the tuner adapt....I got BBCA

Have patience with the cable card. I wuz told that upfront
so I wuz prepared. The positive side of all this is being able
to ditch that DVR with the even worse Navigator. I can't
ever imagine going back to that nightmare

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
iGuide is even worse.

Joe Siegler

join:2008-10-08
Garland, TX
reply to ChillyCat6
The thing I miss the most with TiVo on TWC is that they set the copy flag for just about everything to "no". I just want to copy it to a second TiVo. Not anything weird.

Sigh.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

ESPN3D launching on Channel 799

Click for full size
ADD:
TV shows on demand to 627
ESPN3D to 799

Change:
Discovery Health 200 to OWN(Oprah Winfry Network)

jtltke137

join:2009-02-28
reply to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

I've been gone for 2 months and I just got back to Dallas. There is something new with my DVR and I don't see anyone posting about this.

Now, when I am watching something I recorded, I get a pop-up whenever a new show comes on [at the 1/2 hour, hour mark, ex.] to whatever channel I was watching before I started watching my recorded show.

This is highly annoying. I don't need a reminder that Jerry Springer is now on channel xx in the middle of watching my recorded show. I wouldn't mind if it was a feature that I could turn off - but knowing that TWC caters to the Lowest Common Denominator I figure they don't care.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
that is the new watch in HD feature it comes up when pushing info on a show that is HD or every thirty minutes when a show is HD.

no you can not disable it.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
ESPN3D launched today on 799 SDV MPEG4 must have DCX3200/DCX3400 to watch it. Cost $10 more a month as it is part of the new 3D tier.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Click for full size
REELZ channel launching on 254 will be SDV

Joe Siegler

Garland, TX
Reelz looks interesting. Shame it's not HD, though.

»www.reelzchannel.com/index.aspx

motorola870

Arlington, TX
Joe REELZ is in HD as TWC NYC has it so there is hope that we will get it eventually.

The texas region is now all one region so the channel changes should be soon getting to the point where everyone with SDV should be getting the same HD channels and adds at the same time. Beaumont just went SDV and is now at 101 HD channels and Wichita falls is going SDV soon.

Reelz should bring us up to 93 SDV channels 91 HD, 2 SD

Joe Siegler

Garland, TX
said by motorola870:

Joe REELZ is in HD as TWC NYC has it so there is hope that we will get it eventually.

I meant HD here in Dallas.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
I hope we see a new set of HD adds after the first of the year when Wichita Falls goes SDV.

Joe Siegler

Garland, TX
said by motorola870:

I hope we see a new set of HD adds after the first of the year when Wichita Falls goes SDV.

Not much has changed for me. Really, the only HD channel I want now that I don't currently get is BBC America HD.

jtltke137

reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

that is the new watch in HD feature it comes up when pushing info on a show that is HD or every thirty minutes when a show is HD.

This is highly annoying and I can't see where the "value add" is for this. Who wants to be interrupted when watching a show you recorded?

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
said by jtltke137:

said by motorola870:

This is highly annoying and I can't see where the "value add" is for this. Who wants to be interrupted when watching a show you recorded?

Record it in HD and you won't have the problem.

jtltke137

said by chamberc:

said by jtltke137:

said by motorola870:

Record it in HD and you won't have the problem.

I record everything in HD.

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
said by jtltke137:

I record everything in HD.

Then you won't see that message. It only appears on SD channels.

Dave_DFW

join:2008-02-12
Richardson, TX
reply to Joe Siegler
Just in case TWC reads the board, I wanted to rescind my request for IFC in HD. IFC now inserts commercials, edits content, and also has changed the type of programming.

Very disappointing--I guess IFC just wants to be another TBS, AMC, Bravo, or USA.

Sundance probably won't be far behind, they are owned by the same media group.

TTYL
David

jtltke137

reply to Joe Siegler
I can't believe that no one has posted already regarding the letter that TWC sent out detailing the rate increases to take effect 2/1/2011

Digital Cable +$4.00
HD DVR +$2.00

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
I'm already paying an absurd $16.98 for each of my DVR's... crazy it's going up that much. Guess it's time to turn one in.

Joe Siegler

Garland, TX
reply to jtltke137
said by jtltke137:

I can't believe that no one has posted already regarding the letter that TWC sent out detailing the rate increases to take effect 2/1/2011

Digital Cable +$4.00
HD DVR +$2.00

I didn't get such a letter. Doesn't much matter to me though, as I got price locked in December, and I have a TiVo.

Might be why I didn't get one.

said by chamberc:

I'm already paying an absurd $16.98 for each of my DVR's... crazy it's going up that much. Guess it's time to turn one in.

TiVo's service fee is cheaper than that if you go their month by month plan the last time I checked.

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
said by Joe Siegler:

said by jtltke137:

Digital Cable +$4.00
HD DVR +$2.00

I didn't get such a letter. Doesn't much matter to me though, as I got price locked in December, and I have a TiVo.

Might be why I didn't get one.

said by chamberc:

TiVo's service fee is cheaper than that if you go their month by month plan the last time I checked.

Tivo.com says $19.99 a month, per box, plus the boxes are $499 each, and I'd have to have 3.

Dave_DFW

Richardson, TX
The rate notice I received showed a reduction in the price of cablecards and an increase in either basic service or premiums. The changes should wash out for me--I'll have the same bill.

Tivo has been screwing around with its rate plans for years--I don't know why they think it's in their best interest to keep potential customers confused.

Through the end of January, Premieres are $99 each but are locked into a $19.99 monthly rate for one year. You can get them for $0 up front (I think) if you commit to $19.99 for two years.

Almost any way you analyze it, Tivo will never be the cheaper option.

TTYL
David

Dave_DFW

Richardson, TX

1 edit
Wow, TWC sure doesn't make the pricing information easy to find! I don't have the paper copy handy, but this looks like what I received:

»www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLib···llas.pdf

For those of you with TWC DVRs--I assume you have to sum the "DVR converter," "DVR Service," and "cablecard" to get a total price?

TTYL
David

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
said by Dave_DFW:

Wow, TWC sure doesn't make the pricing information easy to find! I don't have the paper copy handy, but this looks like what I received:

»www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLib···llas.pdf

For those of you with TWC DVRs--I assume you have to sum the "DVR converter," "DVR Service," and "cablecard" to get a total price?

TTYL
David

Almost, it's just the DVR converter and Service, not the cable cards. $16.98 a month per box.

Dave_DFW

Richardson, TX
Hmm, so the pdf I found lists only the old rates?

TTYL
David

chamberc
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Joe Siegler
Here's my monthly statement:

12/13-01/12 Awg Home Network
$.00
12/13-01/12 Road Runner Extreme
$25.00