share rss forum feed

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to JSUL

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

said by JSUL:

Yes....got hold of direct support and their first reply was 'we have no control over the games being blacked out....etc.'

This has nothing to do w/the blackout rules....this Game4/channel 933 has had this same display since Thursday night & so far, today. Something is wrong/stuck....CSR's in Austin/San Antonio/El Paso do not see the 'black out message' on their displays, but the local DFW CSR's do see it but don't know how to fix....then after being told by 2 seperate managers that they would get it fixed (Saturday night) lo and behold, they 'fix' me alright, when the 'free preview' that was being run by NHL Center Ice ended at midnight last night, I lost my connection to the package! All channels said: Subscription service....hit enter to order.' I WAS HOT! I called and got a CSR in Austin this time (1 am.) and he got me reconnected, but I should have stopped there, but I asked him about Game 4 blackout screen, which was a big mistake. He told me that they had no control over what games are blacked out and that some network in the area must have the rights to show the games I was missing & nothing could be done. I told him that what network in DFW got the rights to the following games:
Buffalo/Philadelphia
Tampa Bay/Washington
Columbus/NY Rangers
....I said you have got to be kidding! These are out of local market (Dallas Stars) games and are not being shown on NBC/NBC Sports/NHL Network, so I should get these games.

As FYI, to support my cause during all of this (Fri/Sat/Sun calls), I told them to go to the mosaic channel (942 in DFW) and there you would see the feeds displayed, so why blacked out? No one knows.

I sent a new email to direct support this morning since it has not changed. Today's schedule shows 1 game: Ottawa @ NY Islanders, w/home & away feeds set up on channels 930 & 931....alll other channels are displayaing today's schedule, except
channel 933 (game 4) which still has the black out message. I wounder what game they are blacking out today, since there's not one scheduled? (extreme anger & sarcasm)

NBA League pass is screwed up as well. It seems the headend engineers did not setup the blackout codes correctly when Indemand transitioned to the new system back in september or their receivers are broken.

BillPayer

join:2011-07-24
Dallas, TX
reply to Joe Siegler

I would like to know the name of the person at TWC who makes these decisions - - changing channels that are clear, and encrypting them.

In the case of TXCN and certain other channels, they went all the way from being a part of regular cable service received on old (NTSC) cable ready sets, to being scrambled and encrypted like Home Box Office. Meanwhile, the cable system in the city next to me continues to carry them as before - - clear and included as before for people with these old cable ready sets.

The announcement from TWC received here said "Effective June 21, 2011, this channel will be delivered in a digital format only. To continue to enjoy the programming on this channel, you may need a Time Warner Cable supplied digital set top box, which you can obtain by contacting Time Warner Cable at (866) 341-5930. Also if you are currently viewing this programming on a television built after 2008, your television may already be equipped to view this channel in the digital format." But this is not what TWC did.

(The "television built after 2008" is a digital cable ready set, capable of receiving clear, not-scrambled, channels.)

It's not unusual to find several old NTSC cable ready sets in a house, connected to cable. They continue to work on a number of TWC channels. For those customers to have what they had before, a cable box is required on each set. TWC may give away one of these for a year, but this does not resolve the matter for the other sets. It ultimately means about $21 per month for people who want to watch any one of these channels on all their sets just as before.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by BillPayer:

I would like to know the name of the person at TWC who makes these decisions - - changing channels that are clear, and encrypting them.

In the case of TXCN and certain other channels, they went all the way from being a part of regular cable service received on old (NTSC) cable ready sets, to being scrambled and encrypted like Home Box Office. Meanwhile, the cable system in the city next to me continues to carry them as before - - clear and included as before for people with these old cable ready sets.

The announcement from TWC received here said "Effective June 21, 2011, this channel will be delivered in a digital format only. To continue to enjoy the programming on this channel, you may need a Time Warner Cable supplied digital set top box, which you can obtain by contacting Time Warner Cable at (866) 341-5930. Also if you are currently viewing this programming on a television built after 2008, your television may already be equipped to view this channel in the digital format." But this is not what TWC did.

(The "television built after 2008" is a digital cable ready set, capable of receiving clear, not-scrambled, channels.)

It's not unusual to find several old NTSC cable ready sets in a house, connected to cable. They continue to work on a number of TWC channels. For those customers to have what they had before, a cable box is required on each set. TWC may give away one of these for a year, but this does not resolve the matter for the other sets. It ultimately means about $21 per month for people who want to watch any one of these channels on all their sets just as before.

well for one they did not encrypt CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and the local access channels they are still available without a box but you have to have a QAM tuner TV.

Also they made the changes to free up bandwidth for more channels by moving channels around from one frequency to another.

They use channels above 76 and some channels below 76 for digital tv all the way up to 135 and yes a QAM tuner TV can tune analogs up to 135 I used to be able to see the sweep channel when TWC did the upgrade to 860MHz.

These channels are now used for digital channels

27 (249MHz)
KDFI HD
KDAF HD
KPXD HD

98 (111MHz)
KDFW HD
KXAS HD
NBC DFW non stop

99 (117MHz)
HBO HD
SHOWTIME HD
HDPPV

Also these are reserved for future use:
16 test pattern
47 QAM is present but nothing on it
50 QAM is present but nothing on it
61 QAM is present but nothing on it
63 QAM is present but nothing on it
73 QAM is present but nothing on it
87 QAM is present but nothing on it
88 QAM is present but nothing on it
89 QAM is present but nothing on it
90 QAM is present but nothing on it

TXCN and CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and all of the local access channels were moved to digital state wide as a larger plan to reclaim bandwidth for more digital services such as adding bandwidth for SDV and HSI. We got 8 more frequencies added to SDV thanks to them removing those analogs and right now TWC is sitting on a lot of open bandwidth.

Thanks to those changes we got:
Bloomberg HD
Halogen HD
Hub HD
Sportsman Channel HD
Ovation HD
Reelz Channel HD
E! HD
Style HD
Oxygen HD
OWN HD
IFC HD
Fox Deportes HD
Showtime Next HD
Showtime Beyond HD
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Women HD
ThrillerMAX HD
MoreMAX HD
GAME2 HD
3D special Events 2

if you are talking about the charter system in the park cities or duncanville both of those systems have had the same issue with analog reclaims at least TWC offered a free box for a year when they moved these to digital:
CMT
Style
ABC Family
Oxygen
TruTV

and a box for five years for basic customers who had only limited basic to recieve:
local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

or a box for a year to receive:
TXCN
Local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

ask someone in fort worth with charter how they dealt with analog reclaims they at one time had 90 analogs now they are down to 70 analogs now.

JSUL

join:2011-09-09
Arlington, TX
reply to motorola870

Channel 933 is now back to normal
Thanks in part to Annette Wilson
At TWC
Hopefully this is the end of all problems
With NHL center ice this season

motorola870

Arlington, TX

looks like TWC did some maintence this week as my node now has four more VOD carriers!

This is what the iGuide diagnostics are showing for the new QAMs on my node

603MHz TSID: 42241
609MHz TSID: 42242
615MHz TSID: 42243
621MHz TSID: 42244

we already have VOD on:
579MHz
585MHz
591MHz
597MHz

jtltke137

join:2009-02-28
reply to Joe Siegler

Motorola870,

Is TWC ever going to make the Showtime HD channels continuous? They have Showtime Next HD at 824 and the rest of the Showtime HD channels at 829 - 834.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

"Is TWC ever going to make the Showtime HD channels continuous? They have Showtime Next HD at 824 and the rest of the Showtime HD channels at 829 - 834"

There is a plan to consolidate channels across the company. Its complicated.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by hobgoblin:

"Is TWC ever going to make the Showtime HD channels continuous? They have Showtime Next HD at 824 and the rest of the Showtime HD channels at 829 - 834"

There is a plan to consolidate channels across the company. Its complicated.

Hob

I think it has already started! at least with the adult channels they are getting all of the systems to the same adult channel lineup except for the numbering of them.

SketchyONE

join:2010-09-04
Plano, TX
reply to Joe Siegler

This has probably been explained above but 713-723 have been cleared out in my guide.

Is this for a rearranging of the hd channels or an addition of NEW hd channels? Is it something done for now or something done for later in the year?

THKS

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by SketchyONE:

This has probably been explained above but 713-723 have been cleared out in my guide.

Is this for a rearranging of the hd channels or an addition of NEW hd channels? Is it something done for now or something done for later in the year?

THKS

maybe not as the TWC website say for those channels not available on all boxes ie iGuide as they have now made them only available on Navigator DCXs. I think they are a waste of space and channel numbers as really can't someone just go to movies on demand and order an HD movie?

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

Not on navigator.

TWCUser

@rr.com
reply to motorola870

I'm not sure why the Navigator boxes still have those channels. I have the multi-room dvr and can order the HD movies on channel 600. (movies on demand channel)

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by TWCUser :

I'm not sure why the Navigator boxes still have those channels. I have the multi-room dvr and can order the HD movies on channel 600. (movies on demand channel)

that is what I am talking about going to 600 and selecting the HD section.

Also can't you guys hit the A button to go to the OnDemand menu that has all of tha categories that you scroll side to side and up and down?

TWCuser

@rr.com

Yes, we can also hit the A button and go through the menu options.

BillPayer

Dallas, TX
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by BillPayer:

well for one they did not encrypt CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and the local access channels they are still available without a box but you have to have a QAM tuner TV.

What are the channel numbers for CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and the local access channels you mentioned, to be entered on a QAM cable ready TV that does not have a Time Warner box?

From a post here earlier, I understand C-SPAN channels were on 112.3, 112.9 and 101.10. But the first two of those have either been moved elsewhere, or are no longer available without a rental box on each TV set.

TXCN went from Channel 38 (no extra charge and receivable on an NTSC cable ready set) to being encrypted and blocked for those with QAM Cable ready TVs, as well as old NTSC Cable ready TVs. A rental box is required on each TV.

said by motorola870 See Profile
if you are talking about the charter system in the park cities or duncanville both of those systems have had the same issue with analog reclaims at least TWC offered a free box for a year when they moved these to digital:
CMT
Style
ABC Family
Oxygen
TruTV

and a box for five years for basic customers who had only limited basic to recieve:
local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

TXCN
Local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

ask someone in fort worth with charter how they dealt with analog reclaims they at one time had 90 analogs now they are down to 70 analogs now.
[/BQUOTE :

In Dallas that may be for "a box" and for a limited period of time. Those with more than one TV in a house are charged. A person with 3 sets who got one free box would have to pay for the other two boxes. That's an increase of about $16 per month. When the time runs out it's an increase totaling $24 per month.

Meanwhile, in the Park Cities, customers with old NTSC cable ready sets tune to channel 38 and get TXCN. It has a lot of useful weather information and news from local stations around the state. It is advertiser supported. There is no cable box required, and no extra charge, no matter how many old NTSC sets are connected.

BillPayer

Dallas, TX
reply to motorola870

(Sorry I didn't intend for my message to be posted twice)

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to BillPayer

said by BillPayer:

said by motorola870:

said by BillPayer:

What are the channel numbers for CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and the local access channels you mentioned, to be entered on a QAM cable ready TV that does not have a Time Warner box?

From a post here earlier, I understand C-SPAN channels were on 112.3, 112.9 and 101.10. But the first two of those have either been moved elsewhere, or are no longer available without a rental box on each TV set.

TXCN went from Channel 38 (no extra charge and receivable on an NTSC cable ready set) to being encrypted and blocked for those with QAM Cable ready TVs, as well as old NTSC Cable ready TVs. A rental box is required on each TV.

said by motorola870 See Profile
CMT
Style
ABC Family
Oxygen
TruTV

local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

TXCN
Local access
CSPAN2
CSPAN3

[/BQUOTE :

In Dallas that may be for "a box" and for a limited period of time. Those with more than one TV in a house are charged. A person with 3 sets who got one free box would have to pay for the other two boxes. That's an increase of about $16 per month. When the time runs out it's an increase totaling $24 per month.

Meanwhile, in the Park Cities, customers with old NTSC cable ready sets tune to channel 38 and get TXCN. It has a lot of useful weather information and news from local stations around the state. It is advertiser supported. There is no cable box required, and no extra charge, no matter how many old NTSC sets are connected.

park cities might be going all digital soon as someone over at AVS Forum they were told in a few months that charter is going all digital by a charter rep. I wouldn't doubt it as park cities and duncanville are both 750MHz cable systems with very few digital channels.

I know that the Ellis County Charter system is being overhauled and upgraded to 1GHz CCOR line gear with Aurora NC4000 nodes like TWC has in North Texas. They are currently a 450MHz system in parts with parts upgraded to 860MHz/1GHz but only using up to 135 (861MHz) as a lot of the upgraded amps are 860MHz.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by TWCUser :

that is what I am talking about going to 600 and selecting the HD section.

Also can't you guys hit the A button to go to the OnDemand menu that has all of tha categories that you scroll side to side and up and down?

Doesn't list much compared to my iGuide box.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to BillPayer

said by BillPayer:

New to TWC came from satellite land because of a move and the roof was slightly in the way. I refuse to pay TWC outrageously high DVR lease. So I bought a new series 4 TiVo Premier and opted for cable card. In attempting to discuss issues w/customer service they suggested I D/L the TWC app for my android for on the go viewing (on Red Line/train, bus or in doctors waiting room). This app does not work because I don't have a TWC DVR.

I do have the fully activated TiVo Desktop and HD programs recorded OFF AIR I can transfer to my Windows Home Server, my laptop or my Galaxy S II (Android). If I record the same program off same channel via TWC's redistribution the copy protect flag is set. Doesn't matter which channel, which program even C-Span/2/3 which are never copy protected. Meaning no on the go joy

I know from my previous experience with DirecTV and their NOMAD that very few programs have this bit set from the broadcaster. Yes some (very few) do, still not every program and every channel.

Then secondly I'm disappointed in TWC not making 3D available to Cable Card users. I just watched a 3D program that was originally recorded via DirecTV off 3Net and stored on my Windows Home Server via DirecTV's NOMAD, played back via TiVo Desktop and my Series 4 So I know side by side works and top/bottom works I will confess I do not know about Frame Packed which my experience to date seems limited to 3D Blu-Ray, I think not a broadcast 3D flavor due to its much higher bandwidth requirements.

These are clearly anti-competitive practices intended to dissuade people from opting for the BYOB (Bring Your Own Box) LEGALLY MANDATED OPTION. I will if need be apply due pressure with Dallas City Counsel whom I do know and have acquaintanceship with several members.

I hope and pray someone from TWC Dallas is paying attention to this forum.

Finally "3Net" PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.06NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

BillPayer

Dallas, TX
reply to Joe Siegler

If possible - - I'd like to know the channel numbers for CSPAN2, CSPAN3 and the local access channels on TWC in Dallas, to be entered on a QAM cable ready TV that does not have a TWC box.

(From a post here earlier, I understand C-SPAN channels were on 112.3, 112.9 and 101.10. But the first two of those have either been moved elsewhere, or are no longer available without a rental box on each TV set.)

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to PamelaTS

I am pretty sure that the city of dallas can't help you as they no longer have any say over franchises that has been moved to the state level.

BTW TWC is not trying to make you get a DVR from them the only reason they have not deployed ESPN3D to Cable Card customers as it is sent out MPEG4 and Tivo Series 3 can't tune it so they don't give it to cable card customers. They just send out ESPN3D the way ESPN sends it to them. The only boxes that they have approved for ESPN3D are:
DCX3200
DCX3200p2
DCX3200Mp2
DCX3400
DCX3400M

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

said by motorola870:

I am pretty sure that the city of dallas can't help you as they no longer have any say over franchises that has been moved to the state level.

BTW TWC is not trying to make you get a DVR from them the only reason they have not deployed ESPN3D to Cable Card customers as it is sent out MPEG4 and Tivo Series 3 can't tune it so they don't give it to cable card customers. They just send out ESPN3D the way ESPN sends it to them. The only boxes that they have approved for ESPN3D are:

TiVo Premier is not an extension of the Series 3 line, it is Series 4 and most definitely can do MPEG-4
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.06NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to Joe Siegler

SDV channels are out since early this morning like 5am in Dallas area. I called 2 times now and keep getting a recording that theres a problem. This sucks on the weekend.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
reply to PamelaTS

Tivo is working on a firmware update that will enable MPEG-4 over QAM signals.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

I think this is the new v21.x firmware that will enable a new Netflix UI, Parental controls, and other new bugs and feature fixes.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!
reply to PamelaTS

A new MPEG-4 compatible firmware is coming to the Premiere and it should be available by the end of this month.

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

The v20.2 already does mpeg4 you do need the latest "licensed" TiVo Desktop. The free version you may be correct. There was a recent TiVo Desktop update that addressed this issue. TiVo had to fully develop mpeg4 in its development of the new HD DorecTiVo as all DirecTV HD content has been mpeg4 for several years mow.

rv65
Premium
USA!!!!

Yes, but this new firmware enables MPEG-4 over QAM.

runner77

join:2010-03-12
Frisco, TX

Anyone know if it's worth the headache to swap out my DCX3400 with the newer DCX3510 box? Any idea what I would gain? Larger hard drive?

jtltke137

join:2009-02-28

said by runner77:

Anyone know if it's worth the headache to swap out my DCX3400 with the newer DCX3510 box? Any idea what I would gain? Larger hard drive?

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···-M-US-EN

Motorola continues to expand its industry-leading set-top portfolio with the DCX3510-M, an all-digital HD Digital Video Recorder with dual 1 GHz video tuners and support for both MPE G-2 and MPE G-4 HD decode. The DCX3510-M includes the latest audio and video output, with support for full 1080p60 high-definition output, HDMI™, award-winning Dolby® Digital Plus, and Dolby Volume intelligent multi-channel audio leveling. In addition, the DCX3510-M features an internal 500 GB hard drive, which can be expanded to 1 TB or more using an external disk drive connected to the set-tops eSATA interface. The DCX3510-M is OpenCable Application Platform (OCAP)-capable, and compatible with Motorolas DCT legacy software API set. The DCX3510-M also supports Motorolas new software enhancements for processing 3D video and graphics in the set-top prior to being delivered to a 3D-compatible television for an exceptional high-quality 3D TV viewing experience.

M-Cardâ„¢ (Multi-stream CableCAR Dâ„¢) support for Conditional Access
OpenCable Application Platform (OCAP ™) – capable
Compatible with Motorola DCT/DCH legacy software AP I set
Digital Video Recorder (DVR) with dual 1 GHz digital video tuners
Additional 1 GHz DOCSIS® tuner
Standard 500 GB hard drive
Standard MoCA integrated home networking interface
High-definition (HDTV) decode of MPE G-2 and MPE G-4 AVC (H.264) with 1080p60 HDMI output
Dolby® Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio decode
Dolby Volume intelligent multi-channel audio leveling
DOCSIS 2.0+ embedded cable modem with support for DSG and downstream channel bonding (3 down, 1 up)
SCTE 55-1/SCTE 55-2 outof-band
64 MB Flash, 512 MB DRA M
Remote and on-screen diagnostics
Switched Digital Video (SDV)-capable
Accelerated 2D and 3D graphics