uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

said by MeInDallas:

OK sorry to be so dumb, but what is the benefit of that? Does it mean more HD channels maybe? Thanks.

what it means that TWC can now start to drop analogs slowly and not have to worry about giving out full blown boxes instead they can give out smaller one-way boxes that can only get 2-99 plus the local subchannels along with some HD channels if you wind up with an HD DTA.
chris_dfw
join:2001-07-18
Dallas, TX

chris_dfw to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Requested a DTA and received a TA. Got to love timewarner

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by chris_dfw:

Requested a DTA and received a TA. Got to love timewarner

I would wait until the first week of January as TWC seems to have issues with this as I ordered one and was denied because of a price lock which is supposed to allow for the digital adapter. And the system is screwy if it sent you a TA. Did you call or do the online order? If you did a phone order they are not even familiar with the changes yet and the system is still being worked out for the adapters. You weren't supposed to get the adapter until the week of January 14th as they are not mailing them out until about a week or two before the transition and you are supposed to get them a week before the changeover date.
chris_dfw
join:2001-07-18
Dallas, TX

chris_dfw to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Did the online order

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

I ordered one online, and the next day got an email that said call regarding my order, and when I called they had no clue what I was talking about. I got transferred around for about 30 minutes to different departments, and finally got tired and hung up since no one could figure out what I was talking about.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by MeInDallas:

I ordered one online, and the next day got an email that said call regarding my order, and when I called they had no clue what I was talking about. I got transferred around for about 30 minutes to different departments, and finally got tired and hung up since no one could figure out what I was talking about.

I have a feeling we won't be able to complete the orders until at least the 21st or 22nd at the earliest.

MeInDallas the email you got is the same exact one I got I guess we have to wait until the 30 day countdown kicks in.
motorola870

motorola870

Channel adds:

BBC World News SD 209 (Dallas) 152 (Greenville) has been added to digital basic.

KTXD HD is on QAM channel 47.1 remapped from 19.3 which it shares a QAM with KXTX HD, and KAZD HD. not mapped to the boxes just yet.

Anon28
@verizon.net

Anon28

Anon

Do you have any info on the Wylie headend/plant? Amount of channels bonding, etc? I know it has FIOS but 15 meg is $29.99 with time warner, and almost $70 with Verizon.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Anon28 :

Do you have any info on the Wylie headend/plant? Amount of channels bonding, etc? I know it has FIOS but 15 meg is $29.99 with time warner, and almost $70 with Verizon.

wylie is not a headend but a hub and currently there are 6 downsteam channels bonded and 4 up bonded. If you want a modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 capable you will have to buy one off of the list on the TWC website.
NateEaton
join:2004-12-05
Mesquite, TX

NateEaton to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
We just swapped out our DCX3400 for a DCX3510. While it's great to have connectivity from our phones/tablets, we're beginning to wonder if we made a mistake.

1. Of all the things that have ticked us off, we had Dr. Who set to record this evening and it appeared to be recording but afterwards the only thing on the DVR was another show that recorded at the same time on the other tuner. Of course, I'd messed with the remote so wife assumes I must have done something to cancel the recording. More on that in next point.

2. While Dr. Who was recording, there didn't appear to be any way to watch it from the start. We could watch it from the current live point in the recording but the menu options didn't list any way to Play. We had swapped to other tuner, started watching something else after the show recording there finished and I'd swapped bak to see whether just hitting Select brought up the little pop-up menu for Start Over but it didn't.
Ironically, after another show started recording, we checked again and this time there was an additional option on the menu for Play that would let us watch from beginning while it was recording. What the heck?

3. Before, we had up to two weeks of future programming available. I was ticked off when on the new box it only appears to have 7 days. The TW tech who was helping get the box activated after I plugged it in (it at first had the XAIT Received message) said that some boxes appear to have 7 and some 14. What's up with that? Should I try swapping this one out a few times before we have a bunch of stuff recorded till I find one that supports 14 days in the guide?

4. With iGuide, we could switch from a view that had all channels for the current time to one that had all times for a given channel. That became a mode we used a lot. In Navigator, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent. I did find that on my Android phone in the TWC TV app I have both of those views though on our iPad there is just the "all channels for current time" view.

5. On Demand under Navigator is RADICALLY different. I suspect we'll eventually get used to it but it would help to have any tips people can share on how to make the most of it. While I'm typing on this, my wife was looking for something so I talked her through finding in "new" On Demand. She found the program but episode she wanted wasn't there so she wanted to "exit" On Demand... the only way she could find to is to just pick some non-On Demand channel and enter it by number in the remote. Any better way to "get out" of the new On Demand?

6. I thought one of the benefits of having a MOCA box would be that from our phones/tablets we could not only watch live TV, check the guide, set things to record while away from home, etc. but would also be able to watch something that was recording on the DVR. That doesn't appear to be an option. Are we just doing something wrong or is that not an available feature?

7. The 3510 has optical digital audio but not coax so since my digital A/V receiver only has one optical port and I use it to connect our media server, I am now looking for some alternative way to pipe digital audio from the STB through the A/V receiver.

Also, a question... based on the Motorola installation guide for the DCX3510, it sounds like it will use MPEG4 to record anything on channel 350 or greater and that by doing so the 500GB drive has a capacity of around 100 hours instead of 60 hours for HD content. Is that correct?

I could probably go on - the phone/tablet access is cool, the new guide is fast, the guide loaded up in minutes after TW reset the box instead of taking hours or days - but the issues above plus others are some serious trade-offs compared to what we had with the DCX3400 and iGuide.

Thanks,
Nathan

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by NateEaton:

We just swapped out our DCX3400 for a DCX3510. While it's great to have connectivity from our phones/tablets, we're beginning to wonder if we made a mistake.

1. Of all the things that have ticked us off, we had Dr. Who set to record this evening and it appeared to be recording but afterwards the only thing on the DVR was another show that recorded at the same time on the other tuner. Of course, I'd messed with the remote so wife assumes I must have done something to cancel the recording. More on that in next point.

2. While Dr. Who was recording, there didn't appear to be any way to watch it from the start. We could watch it from the current live point in the recording but the menu options didn't list any way to Play. We had swapped to other tuner, started watching something else after the show recording there finished and I'd swapped bak to see whether just hitting Select brought up the little pop-up menu for Start Over but it didn't.
Ironically, after another show started recording, we checked again and this time there was an additional option on the menu for Play that would let us watch from beginning while it was recording. What the heck?

3. Before, we had up to two weeks of future programming available. I was ticked off when on the new box it only appears to have 7 days. The TW tech who was helping get the box activated after I plugged it in (it at first had the XAIT Received message) said that some boxes appear to have 7 and some 14. What's up with that? Should I try swapping this one out a few times before we have a bunch of stuff recorded till I find one that supports 14 days in the guide?

4. With iGuide, we could switch from a view that had all channels for the current time to one that had all times for a given channel. That became a mode we used a lot. In Navigator, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent. I did find that on my Android phone in the TWC TV app I have both of those views though on our iPad there is just the "all channels for current time" view.

5. On Demand under Navigator is RADICALLY different. I suspect we'll eventually get used to it but it would help to have any tips people can share on how to make the most of it. While I'm typing on this, my wife was looking for something so I talked her through finding in "new" On Demand. She found the program but episode she wanted wasn't there so she wanted to "exit" On Demand... the only way she could find to is to just pick some non-On Demand channel and enter it by number in the remote. Any better way to "get out" of the new On Demand?

6. I thought one of the benefits of having a MOCA box would be that from our phones/tablets we could not only watch live TV, check the guide, set things to record while away from home, etc. but would also be able to watch something that was recording on the DVR. That doesn't appear to be an option. Are we just doing something wrong or is that not an available feature?

7. The 3510 has optical digital audio but not coax so since my digital A/V receiver only has one optical port and I use it to connect our media server, I am now looking for some alternative way to pipe digital audio from the STB through the A/V receiver.

Also, a question... based on the Motorola installation guide for the DCX3510, it sounds like it will use MPEG4 to record anything on channel 350 or greater and that by doing so the 500GB drive has a capacity of around 100 hours instead of 60 hours for HD content. Is that correct?

I could probably go on - the phone/tablet access is cool, the new guide is fast, the guide loaded up in minutes after TW reset the box instead of taking hours or days - but the issues above plus others are some serious trade-offs compared to what we had with the DCX3400 and iGuide.

Thanks,
Nathan

14 day guide is not available on the DCX3510 it is a software design flaw of navigator only iGuide supports it.
NateEaton
join:2004-12-05
Mesquite, TX

NateEaton

said by motorola870:

said by NateEaton:

14 day guide is not available on the DCX3510 it is a software design flaw of navigator only iGuide supports it.

Thanks. I saw elsewhere that features of Navigator vary by version, including the 7 day guide issue. Perhaps some day we'll see that change with a software upgrade to Navigator?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

While the guide in most cases is stored on the box I don't believe we will see that.

Hob

julesism
join:2001-12-12
North Little Rock, AR
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

julesism to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Hello. We resigned up with TWC this morning (just moved to a house). We have the El P package and get everything we want in HD except the english bein sports HD feed. If I call in, what package do I ask for? I called in once and the rep did not even see bein english :/ I'm trying to keep the bill as low as possible. The goal is to get as much soccer as possible in HD. Thanks in advance.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by julesism:

Hello. We resigned up with TWC this morning (just moved to a house). We have the El P package and get everything we want in HD except the english bein sports HD feed. If I call in, what package do I ask for? I called in once and the rep did not even see bein english :/ I'm trying to keep the bill as low as possible. The goal is to get as much soccer as possible in HD. Thanks in advance.

sports pass is needed which I don't know if you can add on top of el paquetazo.

julesism
North Little Rock, AR

julesism

is there one single "sports pass" package or one for SD and one HD? also, in 75006 we had 24/7 radar+noaa audio on channel 96 (it was 90 something). cannot find it here in 75057. thx in adv.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by julesism:

is there one single "sports pass" package or one for SD and one HD? also, in 75006 we had 24/7 radar+noaa audio on channel 96 (it was 90 something). cannot find it here in 75057. thx in adv.

there is only one sports pass that includes HD and SD but their is the HD Sports pass tier that includes the HD tier and Sports pass tiers.

julesism
North Little Rock, AR
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

julesism to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
The first rep was more of a salesman and tried to push the sports/hd pack stating it was the only addon with HD channels. Sounded fishy to me plus he could not find bein english so I said nah. 2nd try I got the sports pack added and get everything we want. thanks for the help moto870!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

startover/lookback are out on the iGuide boxes in Arlington anyone else having issues?
jtltke137
join:2009-02-28

jtltke137 to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
I was looking at my TWC Internet bill and saw that those thieving dirtbags at Time Warner Cable are now charging me $3.95 a month for the cable modem.

[sarcasm]I'm SHOCKED, JUST SHOCKED that TWC would increase my rates without telling me.[/sarcasm]

Since I don't want to give TWC any more money than I have to, I am considering purchasing my own cable modem. My current cable modem is a Motorola SB5101N and I am on the "Theoretical" 10/1 plan.

When looking online, it appears a comparable cable modem would run me around $50. However, it appears they are DOCSIS 2.0 modems.

I'm wondering if I should purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 model in case I need it in the future.

There are a number of Motorola cable modems out there. The Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for $90 will provide Channel bonding of up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels.

I'm sure someone on this forum has gone down this path before. I would appreciate hearing about their experiences.

Thanks.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Does anyone know if the eSATA port on the DCX3510 is enabled to add extra storage? Of course TWC has no idea what I'm talking about when I call them to ask. I'd buy one if I knew, but I dont want to be stuck with it if I cant use it.
jtltke137
join:2009-02-28

jtltke137

said by jtltke137:

I was looking at my TWC Internet bill and saw that those thieving dirtbags at Time Warner Cable are now charging me $3.95 a month for the cable modem....

After going through earlier posts, someone [Motorola870?] mentioned a compatibility list on the TWC website and here it is:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

The SB6141 is indeed on their list. I would still love to hear about anyone else's experience in buying their own cable modem.
mhowie
join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX

mhowie to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Question regarding a new installation-- I am moving into the area (The Colony/Frisco) in the near future and have had a successful stretch with Brighthouse for many years. I have used my own wireless router and had Brighthouse provision their modem in bridge mode. My question is whether Time Warner can successfully perform this prior to shipping if I were to select the "self installation" (or could I access the modem UI and provision it myself) or would I be limited to having one of their installers come out for such provisioning?

Thanks for the thoughts.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"My question is whether Time Warner can successfully perform this prior to shipping "

No

Hob
mhowie
join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX

mhowie

said by hobgoblin:

"My question is whether Time Warner can successfully perform this prior to shipping "

No

Hob

Thanks. So...follow-up question: can one reprovision by accessing the modem and adjusting this one setting or is a "technician" required to come out and do it?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

If you are not subscribing to wireless the chance are you will get a bulk standard modem that does not require any work. I dont know what equipment they use in your area unfortunately.

Hob

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY
·Charter

StevenB

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

If you are not subscribing to wireless the chance are you will get a bulk standard modem that does not require any work. I dont know what equipment they use in your area unfortunately.

Hob

When i called into tier 3 support for NYC (which is the great upstate dudes and dudettes) they put me in touch with a department that shipped me a docsis 3 Arris Gateway, which has worked flawlessly. I couldn't access the diagnostics, which i understand.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to mhowie

to mhowie
said by mhowie:

said by hobgoblin:

No

Hob

Thanks. So...follow-up question: can one reprovision by accessing the modem and adjusting this one setting or is a "technician" required to come out and do it?

I have a SBG6580 here in the DFW area and I believe they have the SB6141 available for people that want a modem without the wireless features.

Also you can access the modems in North Texas by using the password found online for the modem you have from the manufacturor.
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Hi, everyone. I've been reading for a while but I haven't posted in ages.

Does anyone use a Tivo with a cablecard and the Tuning Adaptor?

I had a TiVo (actually 2 of them) in the pre-HD days and loved them. Once I went HD, I went with 2 of Time Warner's HD-DVRs. But I've about had it with shows that don't record for no apparent reason, boxes that stop responding to remote commands for minutes at a time, illogical menus, counter-intuitive remotes and boxes that time out on HD/DSV channels, all for the low, low price of $40/month (for both boxes) ON TOP of the charge for digital cable, digital plus, etc.

So... to anyone who uses a TiVo with Cablecard and DTA on Time Warner...
1. Does it work overall?
2. Does the tuning adaptor work well 99% of the time?

I realize I'd be giving up On Demand capability (speaking of illogical menus), but the TiVo would give me easy Netflix or Amazon service.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

I just went "Tivo free" as of January. Had been a long time customer and user of Tivo since back to 2001. Tivo's actually used to be really great. If you can get a used Tivo HD (TCD652160) model off Ebay then it should work really good for you, but the new Premiere models are horrible. The software is so sloppy and buggy. This past year I spent loads of money on Tivo's only to end up selling them all on Ebay at a loss.

The bad thing about Tivo is they are more concerned about all the little apps or bloatware that comes on the Tivo, like Netflix and Hulu, and they arent concerned with the basic reliability of the unit. Everytime an issue comes about, they always without fail, blame the cable company, even though you have narrowed it down to the Tivo unit. Their response always seems to be "Oh it cant be the Tivo" and it gets old so fast. Even after the cable company comes out and tests everything and even goes as far as to replace all the wiring in your house.

The one major bug I had such as issue with here in the Dallas area, was that there is some sort of conflict with the Tivo software and the cable card and tuning adapter. If you ever go to the Tivocommunity website we call it the "lost channel syndrome". What happens is you will be watching TV or recording shows or both, and all of a sudden you with get a frozen screen or a "splash" of pixelation across the screen, and then it goes blank. At that point you cant tune any channels and you get a message on the Tivo that you need to contact the cable company because the channel is not authorized, or it just says "channel not found" on all the channels. The only way to fix it is to just reboot the Tivo which takes about 8 minutes. You usually end up with a bunch of partial recordings. Now this can happen every few hours, or as soon as every 5 minutes. It gets extremely annoying when trying to watch primetime TV and youre missing all your shows. Since January of 2012 Tivo acted like they had no clue why this was happening and they sent me new boxes several times, and then after a few months they just started blaming the cable over and over, and then left me out to dry. Finally around October Tivo announces they know about the issue and admits there is a problem and they are "looking into it" but theres still no fix for it. The 4 tuner Tivo's, run far far away from them and dont ever look back. One thing I hate about Tivo is they only release major updates like 2 or 3 times a year if youre lucky. Its not like a Windows PC and you get updates all the time.

Needless to say I got so sick of it and cancelled all my Tivos the end of the year. Back in November I had heard about the Ceton 4 tuner cards and built my first HTPC. Now this is what Tivo wishes it was, and is everything Tivo always wanted to be. These things work like a dream here in the Dallas area, and I never miss any of my shows, and everything records exactly like it should. You know what the best thing about building an HTPC with a Ceton card? No monthly subscription fees NONE! They work like a dream with the cable card and tuning adapter as well. Also Ceton is soon to be coming out with a new 6 tuner card. When, I dont know but it is being talked about and its in the beta stages. I really do love my HTPC with the Ceton card and the picture quality is just amazing.

I used to be such a huge fan of Tivo, but now when I hear their name or see someone talk about them, I really seriously want to go throw up after all I went thru with them. It is really a horror story, and if you live in the Dallas area, and are on Time Warner cable, all I can tell you is stay away stay away and run the other way as fast as you can. Now if you ask me about Ceton, I'll sit here and sing like a canary all day long the most beautiful music you ever heard.

I'm sure someone will come in behind me and say the exact opposite, because Tivo fans are hardcore and they hate to hear someone knock their boxes, but when I see someone about to bite the Tivo bullet, and get sucked in and about to go thru the worst horror of their lives, I really have to speak up. All I can say is run the other way and look at other options.