Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to newsmark

to newsmark
said by newsmark:

Hi, everyone. I've been reading for a while but I haven't posted in ages.

Does anyone use a Tivo with a cablecard and the Tuning Adaptor?

I had a TiVo (actually 2 of them) in the pre-HD days and loved them. Once I went HD, I went with 2 of Time Warner's HD-DVRs. But I've about had it with shows that don't record for no apparent reason, boxes that stop responding to remote commands for minutes at a time, illogical menus, counter-intuitive remotes and boxes that time out on HD/DSV channels, all for the low, low price of $40/month (for both boxes) ON TOP of the charge for digital cable, digital plus, etc.

So... to anyone who uses a TiVo with Cablecard and DTA on Time Warner...
1. Does it work overall?
2. Does the tuning adaptor work well 99% of the time?

I realize I'd be giving up On Demand capability (speaking of illogical menus), but the TiVo would give me easy Netflix or Amazon service.

Luv my TiVo Premiere's have two of them the latest 20.2.2 added more HD menu's (Season Pass Manager, History, To Do) Additions to Now Playing List include the (other TiVo Premieres list now in HD) Streaming Copy protected programs that can't be transferred.

I had a lot of tuning adapter failures, it took 7 months to get a stable signal to the Tuning Adapter and 4 devices (tuning adapters) failed. Two months stable I added the second, the tuning adapter they shipped was DOA out of the box, the one on the truck that rolled was DOA. They rushed another out while tech was here and it worked.

The only issue is occasionally switched channels don't record because they turned it off and TiVo thinks it's still on. This happens on channels that I essentially watch all the time so the tuner is already there (parked so to speak). TiVo thinking it's still tuned because a signal wasn't properly passed to it that they turned it off records nothing. This doesn't happen often but it does, and yes it is frustrating when it does. Usually on MSNBC so that program will repeat just have to change the channel and change it back.

I have two and luv them $2.50 for a cable card v what they charge for a box. Keeping my TiVo's (1 lifetime the other is a multi discounted monthly)

Pick up the Premiere at Best Buy and get the 4 year ex-warranty it's twice TiVo's and price per year lower in cost.

I have never had a TiVo box fail my first experience with TiVo was with DirecTV many years ago. When I switched to the DirecTV HD DVR it was a mess at first. It finally became a stable device the Premiere's are already stable and getting better.

BTW Yes they do 3D I have a few videos I downloaded off my DirecTV DVR's in 3D and they stream to my TiVo's just fine it's TWC and the tuning adapters that have the issue with 3D. They (TWC) want to rape you for their box lease to deliver 3D

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Are all the Motorola boxes in Dallas running Navigator now? Or are some of the older ones still running the iGuide?

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

Only the 3510's and 3400m's are running Navigator. About 94% are running iGuide.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
OK thank you
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark to PamelaTS

to PamelaTS
Thanks, MeinDallas and PamelaTS. I'm going to put some more thought into this before I make a change.

It seems the bigger problem is with Time Warner. Their equipment sucks, but their system doesn't play well with others.

I ran into the same sort of problem in the pre-HD days.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

said by newsmark:

Thanks, MeinDallas and PamelaTS. I'm going to put some more thought into this before I make a change.

It seems the bigger problem is with Time Warner. Their equipment sucks, but their system doesn't play well with others.

I ran into the same sort of problem in the pre-HD days.

Have you tried one of these DCX3510M models yet? They are a bit hard to find, but I know the office over here in Mesquite on Gross Road has a huge stack of them. The main office over on Chenault off Buckner Blvd has them in the back, but you have to ask them to go get you one, and if you get one of the nicer ladies they will go do it. I've got 2 of them now and they run much better than the older models. It's a lot smaller as well, and has an external power supply like a laptop, and also has a 500GB hard drive. It has 640MB of memory as well which surprised me. I think they run a lot better, and I've used every model Time Warner has out there now. You might get lucky and get a new one. When I picked these up they hadnt been used before. Thats one thing I never understood about TWC. They always keep the good new stuff on the side and keep handing out the old boxes unless you ask for one of the new ones.
shawn928
join:2011-09-28
Arlington, TX

shawn928 to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Can anyone provide a proper explanation of the HD DTA (HD version of a Digital Transport Adapter)? TWC's website was rather unhelpful.

Is it (A) for tuning the current analog channels (2-76 which includes the locals channels) on digital channels (mostly in the 200-300's of the cable box lineup) on channel 3 or 4 on an analog TV (or HDMI to a digital TV)?

(B) tuning ALL digital and HD channels that you subscribe to (locals, ESPN, TNT, Syfy, HBO, Showtime, etc) on channel 3 or 4 on an analog TV OR HDMI to a digital TV? I do understand that the HD DTA does not include On Demand, Start Over, etc features.

(C) other?

The following TWC link was not very informative.
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· tion.pdf

I went to the Arlington TWC office (on Matlock) today, and they said they did NOT have any HD DTA's in stock. She also said that she has not been told anything about "analog channels being dropped in North Texas on January 22 (next Tuesday). See following link »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ers.html

I think that the Cisco DTA HD170 (»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 33_a.pdf) is at least ONE of the HD DTA's that TWC will use here in DFW.

Perhaps the date has been changed? Thoughts/comments?
Shawn

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by shawn928:

Can anyone provide a proper explanation of the HD DTA (HD version of a Digital Transport Adapter)? TWC's website was rather unhelpful.

Is it (A) for tuning the current analog channels (2-76 which includes the locals channels) on digital channels (mostly in the 200-300's of the cable box lineup) on channel 3 or 4 on an analog TV (or HDMI to a digital TV)?

(B) tuning ALL digital and HD channels that you subscribe to (locals, ESPN, TNT, Syfy, HBO, Showtime, etc) on channel 3 or 4 on an analog TV OR HDMI to a digital TV? I do understand that the HD DTA does not include On Demand, Start Over, etc features.

(C) other?

The following TWC link was not very informative.
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· tion.pdf

I went to the Arlington TWC office (on Matlock) today, and they said they did NOT have any HD DTA's in stock. She also said that she has not been told anything about "analog channels being dropped in North Texas on January 22 (next Tuesday). See following link »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ers.html

I think that the Cisco DTA HD170 (»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 33_a.pdf) is at least ONE of the HD DTA's that TWC will use here in DFW.

Perhaps the date has been changed? Thoughts/comments?
Shawn

supposedly nothing is being dropped but that they are deploying the digital adapters. I am still waiting for one to be delivered thanks to a billing issue.

But they probably don't know the term HD DTA. The customer service reps know them as digital adapters.

These will be the channels available 2-99 except for 90 possibly and the local subchannels and HD locals.

I have a feeling you need to go back to the Arlington office and ask for a digital adapter and not a HD DTA.
shawn928
Arlington, TX

shawn928

NOT that I trust the person from TWC's online chat I just spent 75 minutes with, but she said that they analogs will be dropped next week here in Arlington (probably all of North Texas).

You may be correct about HD DTA versus Digital adapters. I just wanted to use that term so that someone reading this would understand I want to know about the HD (not Std Def) version of the Digital Adapters.

Can you re-phrase your comment about "These will be the channels available 2-99 except for 90 possibly and the local subchannels and HD locals." I'm not sure if you're saying (or guessing) that the Digital Adapter (HD DTA) will only be able to tune the digital version of the "soon to be removed" analog channels.
Thanks,
Shawn

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by shawn928:

NOT that I trust the person from TWC's online chat I just spent 75 minutes with, but she said that they analogs will be dropped next week here in Arlington (probably all of North Texas).

You may be correct about HD DTA versus Digital adapters. I just wanted to use that term so that someone reading this would understand I want to know about the HD (not Std Def) version of the Digital Adapters.

Can you re-phrase your comment about "These will be the channels available 2-99 except for 90 possibly and the local subchannels and HD locals." I'm not sure if you're saying (or guessing) that the Digital Adapter (HD DTA) will only be able to tune the digital version of the "soon to be removed" analog channels.
Thanks,
Shawn

We would have gotten a mailer about the analog drops if they were to happen. TWC has already reclaimed enough analogs to deploy faster internet speeds but I am thinking they might be moving some of the digital frequencies around next week to make room for more dedicated bandwidth on the internet.

Right now channel 90 is only available with a STB or cable card device with a tuning adapter as is sent out via SDV so the adapter won't get Fox Business SD unless they take it off of SDV next week when the adapters are supposed to be connected.

Shawn the Dallas market is not deploying the SD version of the digital adapter those were deployed in a system in Maine that TWC tested 100% digital in with no analogs. All deployments of the adapters after the test market have been the DTA 170HD.
motorola870

motorola870

seems the change over date has changed to 3/5/13 and this is for Wichita Falls, Dallas metro, and Greenville!

Digital Adapters

Starting on or about December 19th, designated channels will be delivered in digital format only. This will not affect any TVs you currently have connected to a digital set-top box. If you want to view these channels on additional direct-connect analog TVs and similar devices, you may request a Digital Adapter free of charge through November 2013. After that time, each adapter will cost 99 cents a month.

Important Note: You will receive the adapters within a week of the date in the table. Adapters should be connected on or after the dates below. Connecting adapters before this date will make some channels unviewable. Please refer to the chart below to find the Connect Date for your area. You can set up your adapters any time from that day on without any loss of picture.

Location Date
Kansas City, KS and surrounding areas 10/23/12
Wisconsin and surrounding areas
12/5/12
Austin, TX 12/19/12
Waco, TX
12/19/12
El Paso, TX 01/29/13
Fredericksburg, TX 01/29/13
San Antonio, TX 01/29/13
Greenville, TX 03/05/13
Dallas, TX 03/05/13
Wichita Falls, TX 03/05/13

Digital Adapter Easy Setup Guide

Digital Adaptor Image

Download this guide for setup and activation instructions

Download instructions for the Digital Adapter remote control

Technicolor

Guide Mascot Image

Download this guide for setup and activation instructions

Order Your Digital Adapter

Here's how to check each of your TVs: If you plug your cable line directly into a TV, then that TV needs a Digital Adapter.

You can order your Digital Adapter(s):

Online Ordering

Online ordering

Please note: Texas customers online ordering will be available for you starting 12/6 until then please call us at 1-855-286-1736

In Person

Sign in to your account

Visit Time Warner Cable Stores
Pick up the number of Adapter(s) you need

By Phone

Call 1-855-286-1736

Upgrade to Digital TV

Upgrade your service to Digital TV and enjoy the benefits of more than 200 channels, many in HD.

Install and Activate Your Digital Adapter

Connect to your TV

Activating your Adapter

Connect to your TV and VCR/DVD player

creedrulz
Premium Member
join:2003-08-11
Dallas, TX

creedrulz to Joe Siegler

Premium Member

to Joe Siegler
Wow just had an interesting week with time Warner cable. I have been trying to get signature home without the boxes and the discount per FCC rules. I was told everything from it can't be done to that package is exempt from the FCC rule. With the help of the people here in the direct forum I got to someone that got me in touch with the person that is doing what needs to be done. He said basically they have to create a special package for my account without the boxes.

chamberc
Premium Member
Addison, TX

chamberc to Joe Siegler

Premium Member

to Joe Siegler
Finally surrendered my 2 iGuide 3400's and switched over to Signature Home. Now I have a 3400m DVR, 3510m DVR, and whatever the playback box is. It actually decreased my bill $8 a month.

Speeds now are 77.5 down and 5 up.

rrlewisdtx6
@pacbell.net

rrlewisdtx6 to Joe Siegler

Anon

to Joe Siegler
A couple of questions...I have a Moto DCX3400 DVR (with the old guide) and a couple of Moto DCX3200 boxes (one is an M). I'd like to upgrade the DVR to something with much more capacity and maybe wholehouse. What's available out there? My Harmony remote lets me skip past commercials. Is that supported on newer DVR's? Maybe even Signature Home since it's less than my ATT Uverse phone/internet + TWC Cable now...Thoughts or advice?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by rrlewisdtx6 :

A couple of questions...I have a Moto DCX3400 DVR (with the old guide) and a couple of Moto DCX3200 boxes (one is an M). I'd like to upgrade the DVR to something with much more capacity and maybe wholehouse. What's available out there? My Harmony remote lets me skip past commercials. Is that supported on newer DVR's? Maybe even Signature Home since it's less than my ATT Uverse phone/internet + TWC Cable now...Thoughts or advice?

the newer DVR boxes are the DCX3400M and DCX3510M and they run the same guide as the DCX3200M and no you cannot 30 second skip on them.
shawn928
Arlington, TX

shawn928 to motorola870

to motorola870
Motorola870....
I also ordered a Digital Adapter (what I was calling a HD DTA) online last month. When I did online chat with TWC about 3-4 days ago, they said that it had been shipped on 01/26/2013. Not sure when it will get here (because the dates keep changing). I am still very curious as to how the Digital Adapters work, and how well (or if at all) they will play with my Magnavox DVR's. If the Digital Adapter won't play nice with my Magnavox MDR515H, and IF they begin encrypting the local HD channels here in Arlington, then I will have to buy and set up an antenna for them to function correctly.

Just had a senior field tech out here to investigate upstream (two-way communication) problems with cable TV and they decided it was "line noise" on the poles near my house. While he was here, I asked him about the Digital Adapters. I said that the "new" date (that you posted about on ten days ago) had been moved to March 5th. The senior field tech had been told recently that even the March 5 date will *probably* be pushed back as well.
FYI...
Shawn

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by shawn928:

Motorola870....
I also ordered a Digital Adapter (what I was calling a HD DTA) online last month. When I did online chat with TWC about 3-4 days ago, they said that it had been shipped on 01/26/2013. Not sure when it will get here (because the dates keep changing). I am still very curious as to how the Digital Adapters work, and how well (or if at all) they will play with my Magnavox DVR's. If the Digital Adapter won't play nice with my Magnavox MDR515H, and IF they begin encrypting the local HD channels here in Arlington, then I will have to buy and set up an antenna for them to function correctly.

Just had a senior field tech out here to investigate upstream (two-way communication) problems with cable TV and they decided it was "line noise" on the poles near my house. While he was here, I asked him about the Digital Adapters. I said that the "new" date (that you posted about on ten days ago) had been moved to March 5th. The senior field tech had been told recently that even the March 5 date will *probably* be pushed back as well.
FYI...
Shawn

I don't know this time they have a channel set this time around that is going digital:

Dallas area(all of the North Texas systems except for Greenville/Commerce)
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN
G4

Greenville/Commerce:
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN
truTV

Also was told yes the date is 3/5/13 and that they have been advised no channels will be changing channel numbers for North Texas only channels going digital only.

I would assume that this set of channel dates won't slip as TWC has delayed another part of the countries channel change (charlotte NC) to possibly have enough adapters for North Texas (Greenville, Dallas, Wichita Falls)

I honestly don't think the march 5th date will be pushed back because if they have notified customer service about the changes will happen this time. As the last time they mentioned a date they did not give a list of channels which may be a good sign that it is going to happen as the reps got the email just very recently.

there will probably be a billing insert in the mail that mentions the changes. Also can you record from the HDMI input on the maganvox DVR if it has one?
shawn928
Arlington, TX

shawn928

said by motorola870:

Also can you record from the HDMI input on the maganvox DVR if it has one?

To the best of my knowledge, there are NO American DVR's or DVD Recorders that have a HDMI INPUT. However, if one uses a "HDMI to Composite Converter" between the cable box and a standard definition DVR/DVDR, then the cable channels can be sent 480P to the DVR or DVDR.
Shawn

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

got my adapter in the mail (FedEx) that I ordered from the first date of 1/22/13 and it is not a Cisco box! It is a Technicolor DCI401 and it is very small a little bit bigger than the size of a deck of cards.
motorola870

motorola870 to shawn928

to shawn928
said by shawn928:

Motorola870....

FYI...
Shawn

the locals in HD are being sent out through the DTAs!
mhowie
join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX

mhowie

said by mhowie:

said by hobgoblin:

"My question is whether Time Warner can successfully perform this prior to shipping "

No

Hob

Thanks. So...follow-up question: can one reprovision by accessing the modem and adjusting this one setting or is a "technician" required to come out and do it?

Follow-up-- I was provided a ubee DVW3201 modem for lease and wound up accessing the modem settings myself to disable the WiFi and bridge the modem as the dolt TWC technician sent for the installation didn't have any clue how to accomplish.

Speaking of which, I discovered two days later this technician had failed to close the cable box attached to my house and left wires exposed.

I called yesterday to report and a service call was set up for today. I was given a time window of 11am-12pm for this service call and as of almost 2pm-- no sign of TWC.

I had been advised TWC was absolutely deplorable in its customer service and, unfortunately, my initial days as one of its customers confirm this. My prior experience with Brighthouse for my Internet was a pleasure by comparison.

I had been giving thought to transitioning the family's TV service to TWC from Dish Network (after 16 years as a Dish customer). TWC has now been ruled out from consideration.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled to Joe Siegler

Premium Member

to Joe Siegler

Re: ClearQAM Channel Listing for TW Dallas

I recently went to Basic Cable without a box, and my LCD TV made in 2010 is ClearQAM ready.

Is there a website or link to a listing of the ClearQAM channels that TW Dallas makes available ?

I want to cross check that with the channels that came up.

I'm assuming that the channels the TV found after doing the cable scan, that show "no signal", are channels that are encrypted by TW.

I found the WFAA 8.2 and 8.3, but I didn't find ION 68.2, or TBN 58.

New to this, so please excuse my ignorance of the ClearQAM setup.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I recently went to Basic Cable without a box, and my LCD TV made in 2010 is ClearQAM ready.

Is there a website or link to a listing of the ClearQAM channels that TW Dallas makes available ?

I want to cross check that with the channels that came up.

I'm assuming that the channels the TV found after doing the cable scan, that show "no signal", are channels that are encrypted by TW.

I found the WFAA 8.2 and 8.3, but I didn't find ION 68.2, or TBN 58.

New to this, so please excuse my ignorance of the ClearQAM setup.

I would just go ahead and order a digital adapter or go pick one up they are free until November ($.99 mo.) after that and can get all of the clear QAM channels plus you will need it soon to get all of 2-99 as they are getting ready remove these from analog on 3/5/13:
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN America
G4

Plus the digital adapters give you the actual channel so say you want to watch 357 KDFW HD you type in 357 it shows the HD channel

I ordered one of the digital adapters and can say that they have very good picture quality. Also the adapters will be needed to get these as of 3/5/13 or clear QAM for 2,6,15,16,18,25,28,95,96,97,98,99:
2 CSPAN
6 CSPAN 3
15 Leased Access
16 Government Access
18 EWTN
25 WGN America
28 CSPAN 2
38 TXCN
47 truTV
61 ABC Family
63 CMT
67 G4
73 Oxygen
95 Public Access
96 Government Access 2
97 Educational Access 1
98 Educational Access 2
99 Educational Access 3

Also Clear QAM is not a for sure thing anymore eventually you will need to have a digital adapter, Cable Card device, or full box as the cable companies can encrypt everything now once they go 100% digital no analogs thanks to a new FCC ruling.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I'm in San Antonio. motorola870 how did you find out that those channels are changing in DFW?

It would be nice to know how to look that stuff so I can check up on it periodically for my city.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Everything in San Antonio has already changed already. The changes for North Texas are supposed to be sent out this month to customers. They are already deploying the Technicolor DCI401n HD-DTAs in North Texas as of at least last week as I got one in the mail last wednesday.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

said by motorola870:

Everything in San Antonio has already changed already. The changes for North Texas are supposed to be sent out this month to customers. They are already deploying the Technicolor DCI401n HD-DTAs in North Texas as of at least last week as I got one in the mail last wednesday.

So you say everything in San Antonio is changed over, however, for like the Basic channel line up only a handful of the channels have switched over to SDV. You can see what I am talking about by visiting the link below, put in my zip code as 78238, then just look at the basic channel line up.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· eup.html

For example all the major channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, etc have not changed over.

So when you say everything for San Antonio has changed over did you mean everything has changed over that will change over?

Thus meaning that the channels that are not SDV right now will just stay as analog channels?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by nephipower:

said by motorola870:

So you say everything in San Antonio is changed over, however, for like the Basic channel line up only a handful of the channels have switched over to SDV. You can see what I am talking about by visiting the link below, put in my zip code as 78238, then just look at the basic channel line up.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· eup.html

For example all the major channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, etc have not changed over.

So when you say everything for San Antonio has changed over did you mean everything has changed over that will change over?

Thus meaning that the channels that are not SDV right now will just stay as analog channels?

the changes that were made last month were not SDV changes only digital changes so all channels from 2-99 will be available with a DTA and the limited basic channels are viewable with QAM tuners.

Yes for now TWC San Antonio is not having any other channels dropped from analog.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Interesting because based upon this page from TWC

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· deo.html

It makes it sound like that switching from the analog that is used today for ClearQAM to these digital channels is the same thing as SDV.

Right now I don't have a DTA or Tuning adapter at all. The coax is just plugged straight into my tv. I can get all of the channels listed in the channel lineup except for the ones that are show that require a Digital adapter. So I can get most of the channels except about 10 or so.

Could you elaborate what is the difference between Digital channels and SDV?

Because based upon all the different pages that I have read from TWC website it seems one and the same.

chamberc
Premium Member
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

Interesting because based upon this page from TWC

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· deo.html

It makes it sound like that switching from the analog that is used today for ClearQAM to these digital channels is the same thing as SDV.

Right now I don't have a DTA or Tuning adapter at all. The coax is just plugged straight into my tv. I can get all of the channels listed in the channel lineup except for the ones that are show that require a Digital adapter. So I can get most of the channels except about 10 or so.

Could you elaborate what is the difference between Digital channels and SDV?

Because based upon all the different pages that I have read from TWC website it seems one and the same.

SDV isn't being sent to your house unless a request from some sort of TWC hardware sends a message and say "send this channel". ClearQAM tuners can't do that.