Search similar:

uniqs
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to chamberc

to chamberc

Re: ClearQAM Channel Listing for TW Dallas

I never said that I thought ClearQAM acts like SDV tuning adapter requesting a certain channel.

My question is around what is the difference between what motorola870 is saying are digital channels and SDV aka Switched Digital Video.

Motorola870 was saying channels 2-99 are now digital which I don't believe because like I said I don't have any DTA or Tuning Adapter from TWC and yet I got most of the basic channels.

Thus back to my last post because based upon the pages from TWC it makes it sound like the changes they did recently was changing a few basic channels over to SDV.

I understand that I may be understanding things wrong about the digital video and SDV. I am just trying to get some clarification about that.

But i definitely understand that a ClearQAM can't do SDV.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

I never said that I thought ClearQAM acts like SDV tuning adapter requesting a certain channel.

My question is around what is the difference between what motorola870 is saying are digital channels and SDV aka Switched Digital Video.

Motorola870 was saying channels 2-99 are now digital which I don't believe because like I said I don't have any DTA or Tuning Adapter from TWC and yet I got most of the basic channels.

Thus back to my last post because based upon the pages from TWC it makes it sound like the changes they did recently was changing a few basic channels over to SDV.

I understand that I may be understanding things wrong about the digital video and SDV. I am just trying to get some clarification about that.

But i definitely understand that a ClearQAM can't do SDV.

You can receive digital channels with a modern TV, if they are in ClearQAM (non-encrypted). You cannot receive switched video channels (SDV) without a DTA or other device to request the channel.

Think of SDV as video on demand.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Ok, so looking at this link below and putting in my zip code 78238

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· eup.html

There are several channels that say "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)". There were a handful of channels that just changed to this at the end of Jan.

Right now if I go to any of the channels with the above message, I can't view the channels at all without any hardware from TWC.

So are those SDV channels?

If not, what are they?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by nephipower:

There are several channels that say "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)". There were a handful of channels that just changed to this at the end of Jan.

Right now if I go to any of the channels with the above message, I can't view the channels at all without any hardware from TWC.

If not, what are they?

said by nephipower:

If not, what are they?

no they are not SDV channels actually they are available only in a digital format and require a TV that can tune QAM and are able to be picked up by doing a channel scan (limited basic channels only) expanded basic channels that were removed require a DTA or digital box . Most newer HDTVs have a QAM tuner. If you have an analog TV you need to go pick up a digital adapter at one of TWC's payment centers.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Ok, things still aren't clear to me and I'm sorry if it feels like I am a broken record but let me explain things a little more.

I am pretty sure my tv is not an analog tv. Here is the exact model that I have. It is a Samsung 50" Plasma, it has been great for the 3.5 years that I have had it.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s01_i00

When I plugged in the coax into my tv I was able to use the channel scan feature built into the tv and it picked up a bunch of channels.

So for channels like ABC, NBC those are digital ClearQAM channels and thus I am able to view them just fine.

However for the ones that say required a digital adapter they display a message that they recently changed and I am not able to view them without an additional device from TWC.

So motorola870 those channels that you called expanded basic channels or the ones that require a DTA does that mean they are encrypted now similar to how channels for TWC "standard" and "digital" tv package are encrypted, ie ESPN, Disney, etc?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by nephipower:

Ok, things still aren't clear to me and I'm sorry if it feels like I am a broken record but let me explain things a little more.

I am pretty sure my tv is not an analog tv. Here is the exact model that I have. It is a Samsung 50" Plasma, it has been great for the 3.5 years that I have had it.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s01_i00

When I plugged in the coax into my tv I was able to use the channel scan feature built into the tv and it picked up a bunch of channels.

So for channels like ABC, NBC those are digital ClearQAM channels and thus I am able to view them just fine.

However for the ones that say required a digital adapter they display a message that they recently changed and I am not able to view them without an additional device from TWC.

So motorola870 those channels that you called expanded basic channels or the ones that require a DTA does that mean they are encrypted now similar to how channels for TWC "standard" and "digital" tv package are encrypted, ie ESPN, Disney, etc?

these are the channels that need a digital adapter or box in San Antonio no matter what (they are not clear QAM)

40 C-SPAN2 (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
41 ABC Family (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
46 truTV (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
50 Stuf TV (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
51 CMT(Digital Set-Top Box Required)
63 Shop NBC (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
64 Oxygen (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
71 OWN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
73 CNBC (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
74 LMN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
75 Golf Channel (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
76 C-SPAN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)

I was saying that the digital adapters pickup channels 2-99 now and also you will get the locals in HD/subchannels on them as well. I was not saying that all of 2-99 is going digital only right now but in a few years they will be. In 2011 TWC tested digital adapters in Maine in Augusta Maine where they went 100% digital and then they had stated 100% digital across the footprint in 5 years so they are starting slowly with the change and we may see some more channels removed from analog this year and next and until around 2016 when the goal is supposed to be reached.

»www.avsforum.com/t/13525 ··· hase-out
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

So the main reason I am asking all these questions is I am looking to do a setup with getting an HDHomerun Prime that supports Cablecard. This way I can do my own DVR setup with Windows Media Center. Also, so I can switch back and forth between using "basic" and "digital tv" packages that TWC has for TV and still use the same main equipment.

From all the research and reading that I have done a tuning adapter is only required if your providers is using SDV. Since you guys are saying TWC is not using SDV yet in San Antonio.

Therefore according to the information shared here if I am on the basic package and want to view these channels that twc says requires a "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)" would a cablecard solve my problem?

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

2 edits

Unbundled to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

said by motorola870 See Profile
I would just go ahead and order a digital adapter or go pick one up they are free until November ($.99 mo.) after that and can get all of the clear QAM channels plus you will need it soon to get all of 2-99 as they are getting ready remove these from analog on 3/5/13:
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN America
G4

Plus the digital adapters give you the actual channel so say you want to watch 357 KDFW HD you type in 357 it shows the HD channel

I ordered one of the digital adapters and can say that they have very good picture quality. Also the adapters will be needed to get these as of 3/5/13 or clear QAM for 2,6,15,16,18,25,28,95,96,97,98,99:
2 CSPAN
6 CSPAN 3
15 Leased Access
16 Government Access
18 EWTN
25 WGN America
28 CSPAN 2
38 TXCN
47 truTV
61 ABC Family
63 CMT
67 G4
73 Oxygen
95 Public Access
96 Government Access 2
97 Educational Access 1
98 Educational Access 2
99 Educational Access 3

Also Clear QAM is not a for sure thing anymore eventually you will need to have a digital adapter, Cable Card device, or full box as the cable companies can encrypt everything now once they go 100% digital no analogs thanks to a new FCC ruling.

So, with my TV's ClearQAM, even after March 5, 2013, I can watch any digital channel broadcast with my Basic/Standard service, that is not an encrypyted channel.

So will the Digital Adapter allow me to watch encrypted digital channels on the Basic/Standard service I have? I will get more channels with the digital adapter -- right now??

I am trying to understand what the immeadiate benefit would be to me to get the digital adapter, and pay .99/mo to use it ? ?

I am getting CSPAN 1,2, & 3 with the ClearQAM on 81-5, 81-3, & 101-3.

Daystar is on 102-10.

Son-Life TV is on 81-1.

Local Access/Govt channels are on 15.1-15.7

I do not get signals on:
80, 83-89, 93, 107, 108, 111, 112, 121, & 132.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I would just go ahead and order a digital adapter or go pick one up they are free until November ($.99 mo.) after that and can get all of the clear QAM channels plus you will need it soon to get all of 2-99 as they are getting ready remove these from analog on 3/5/13:
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN America
G4

Plus the digital adapters give you the actual channel so say you want to watch 357 KDFW HD you type in 357 it shows the HD channel

I ordered one of the digital adapters and can say that they have very good picture quality. Also the adapters will be needed to get these as of 3/5/13 or clear QAM for 2,6,15,16,18,25,28,95,96,97,98,99:
2 CSPAN
6 CSPAN 3
15 Leased Access
16 Government Access
18 EWTN
25 WGN America
28 CSPAN 2
38 TXCN
47 truTV
61 ABC Family
63 CMT
67 G4
73 Oxygen
95 Public Access
96 Government Access 2
97 Educational Access 1
98 Educational Access 2
99 Educational Access 3

Also Clear QAM is not a for sure thing anymore eventually you will need to have a digital adapter, Cable Card device, or full box as the cable companies can encrypt everything now once they go 100% digital no analogs thanks to a new FCC ruling.

So, with my TV's ClearQAM, even after March 5, 2013, I can watch any digital channel broadcast with my Basic/Standard service, that is not an encrypyted channel.

So will the Digital Adapter allow me to watch encrypted digital channels on the Basic/Standard service I have? I will get more channels with the digital adapter -- right now??

I am trying to understand what the immeadiate benefit would be to me to get the digital adapter, and pay .99/mo to use it ? ?

I am getting CSPAN 1,2, & 3 with the ClearQAM on 81-5, 81-3, & 101-3.

Daystar is on 102-10.

Son-Life TV is on 81-1.

Local Access/Govt channels are on 15.1-15.7

I do not get signals on:
80, 83-89, 93, 107, 108, 111, 112, 121, & 132.

it will give you full access to standard cable cable channels as anything that is digital only from 30-76 is encrypted.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

I picked up the Digital Adapter and it does give all of the Basic and Standard channels, and the Local HD channels, and some of the secondary local digital channels (ie 5.2, 8.2, 8.3, 13.2, Antenna TV, and Me TV).

But, I was surprised that the Digital Adapter does not give you Daystar CH 350. So I'll still use a raw cable connection to the TV, for Daystar (CH 102-10).

Also, whereas OTA digital channels broadcast show title and program information, the Digital Adapter, does not give (or have a way to give) that information for the Local HD Channels, or any other channels.

There is a Guide button on the remote, but that function is not yet available.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I picked up the Digital Adapter and it does give all of the Basic and Standard channels, and the Local HD channels, and some of the secondary local digital channels (ie 5.2, 8.2, 8.3, 13.2, Antenna TV, and Me TV).

But, I was surprised that the Digital Adapter does not give you Daystar CH 350. So I'll still use a raw cable connection to the TV, for Daystar (CH 102-10).

Also, whereas OTA digital channels broadcast show title and program information, the Digital Adapter, does not give (or have a way to give) that information for the Local HD Channels, or any other channels.

There is a Guide button on the remote, but that function is not yet available.

how do you like the size of the Digital adapter? They are way smaller than the motorola boxes
motorola870

motorola870

finally got the digital adapter letter today seems it came from Lincoln Nebraska which is where I am guessing the planning for the digital changes are being planned for all of the Texas and Midwest areas.

"Starting on or about March 5, 2013 C-SPAN, EWTN, G4, and WGN will be delivered in a digital format only" "This will not affect any TVs that you currently have connected to a digital set-top box. The next few lines have info about how to order the adapters and the adapters being free until November 30th 2013 and then they become 99 cents a month.

"Note these channel will remain in their existing packages, and will continue to be viewable with a digital set-top box, digital adapter, or Cable card" "In addition C-SPAN, EWTN, and WGN will continue to be viewable on digital TV's (and other devices) that include a QAM tuner."

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

4 edits

Unbundled to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
I do like the size of the Digital Adapter. It's the size of my ROKU 2 XS Box.

(My first Digital Adapter failed after being on about 10 minutes. The one I have had now for several days, is continuing to work okay. I doubt if it really had anything to do with it, but after I pressed the Guide button, is when the first adapter failed. I could not get the remote to link with the box, after it had already been succesfully linked. So maybe it was the remote. Anyway, all is well now.)

My bill which cycled on Feb. 14th (Happy Valentine's Day!) and shows a listing for "Digital Adapter 0.00" and for the "Dta Remote 0.00".

I got the letter also. So, beginning Dec. 1, 2013, each adapter will cost .99/month. --- They better not start raising that a $1 every year! ---- Or come up with a charge for the remote !!!

I also noticed that with the TW Standard Cable Pkg price increase from last month to this by 5.51, from 61.99 to 67.50, that the Credit increased 5.51, to equal the $29.99 promotional rate.
quote:
Beginning with your next bill, there will be a change in
the cost of some Time Warner Cable monthly services.
Basic Service increase from $24.99 to $28.00, Standard
Cable from $61.99 to $67.50, DVR Service from $10.99 to
$12.99 and Sports Pass from $6.99 to $8.99.

In addition, all Basic and Standard Packages will
increase by $5.00 and all digital video packages will
increase by $3.00. If you are currently receiving a
promotional rate,your rate may not be affected at this
time.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

channel changes (second notice for february)

Time Warner Cable Time Warner Cable's agreements with

Time Warner Cable

Time Warner Cable's agreements with programmers to carry their services routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, and carriage of programming services is discontinued only in rare circumstances. The following agreements with programmers are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services in the near future.

AYM Sports -
CBTV Michoacan -
E!
E! HD -
Encore
Encore HD
Encore Action
Encore Drama
Encore Love
Encore Suspense
Encore Family
Encore Westerns
GolTV -
GolTV HD -
IFC
IFC HD -
Lifetime
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Real Women -
LMN
LMN HD
Mexico 22 -
Music Choice Channels
NHL Center Ice
NHL Center Ice HD
Once Mexico -
Smithsonian HD
Sprout -
Sprout On Demand -
Starz
Starz Cinema
Starz Comedy
Starz Edge
Starz Edge HD
Starz HD
Stars InBlack
Starz Kids & Family
Starz Kids & Family HD
Starz On Demand
Style
Style HD -
WE tv
WE tv HD
Youtoo

-Excludes Greenville
In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:
ADD: None at this time
MOVE: Juicy On Demand from On Demand Channel 965 to Adult On Demand Channel 964
Time Warner Cable may reposition NuvoTV to the Hispanic Tier of service. -
DELETE: KXAS (Cozi TV) from Basic Service Channel 365
CHANGE: TV Guide on Basic Service Channel 24 will rebrand to TVGN (Greenville Only)

On or about March 5th, 2013 Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted ("in-the-clear") channels on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (a "ClearQAM device"):

Dallas:
KTVT (CBS) HD, KTXA (IND) HD, WFAA (ABC) HD, WFAA (AccuWeather), KERA (PBS) HD, KERA (World)

Greenville:
KXAS (Cozi TV), KXAS (NBC) HD, KDFW (FOX) HD, KDFI (My27)HD, KDAF (CW) HD, KPXD (ion) HD

(Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change.) If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing these channels. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The new services listed below cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment.

Time Warner Cable SportsChannel HD to Digital Cable HD Channel 148 (Dallas) -

Free Preview
Time Warner Cable will offer a Free Preview of HBO and Cinemax 3/29/13 - 3/31/13. It is available to all Digital subscribers and may contain PG, PG-13, TV-14, TVMA and R rated programs. If you wish to have this Preview blocked, and for parental control information, visit twc.com or call 1-800-TWCABLE. Programming is subject to change. Not all services available in all areas. Restrictions may apply.

- HD Television and HD set-top box required to receive HD service
-Excludes Greenville

All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. 2013 Time Warner Cable, Inc. All rights reserved. Time Warner Cable and the eye/ear logo are trademarks of Time Warner Inc. Used under license.

»www.mypublicnotices.com/ ··· =3069722

so it looks like 1 new HD channel (TWC Sportschannel HD 146) (This channel is already carried in SD on 185 which carries local sports programs actually have been wanting this since 185 was metro sports )

also looks like 2 QAM carriers are moving on 3/5/13 to make room for the new DOCSIS channels in the next few months

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

I noticed that I could not get the Oxygen channel 73 tonight. Not that I would be watching it, but, as I was scanning channels with the DTA, and got to ch 73, I got that msg. to check my connections, etc.

When I go ch 73 now, the DTA box light just flashes green...

Ready to re-scan when I have to.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I noticed that I could not get the Oxygen channel 73 tonight. Not that I would be watching it, but, as I was scanning channels with the DTA, and got to ch 73, I got that msg. to check my connections, etc.

When I go ch 73 now, the DTA box light just flashes green...

Ready to re-scan when I have to.

seems that maintenance work is going on as well as the regular boxes cannot tune: Disney, Golf Channel, and Oxygen as well the digital adapters.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled

Premium Member

Re: DTA sound not coming in

Perhaps it has something to do with maintenance, or not, but, with the DTA, connected to my TV with an HDMI cable, sometimes, I do not get sound (when there's sound on the TV from other inputs). The solution, is to cycle through the TV inputs, back to the HDMI input for the DTA, and that usually gets the sound back on the DTA.

I have the DTA remote configured to use the TV sound, with the DTA sound set at Max. There was no "Stereo" "sweet spot", like with the old cable box volume settings.

And bty, ch 73 was not coming in through the ClearQAM either, when I was checking that last night.

Tuesday night.... and ch 73 is back on the TV.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

TWC Sports Channel HD (148) has launched

Channel 148 is up and running now says to be announced on the boxes but it is indeed TWC Sportschannel HD that is showing local Texas statewide sports programming.
motorola870

motorola870

Greenville/Commerce Texas now has TWC Sports Channel SD (153) and TWC Sports Channel HD (790) now that system now has 103 HD channels

seems that the reason why we got TWC Sports Channel HD and Greenville got both versions of TWC Sports Channel is that TWC is now going to have the rights to the FC Dallas games in the State of Texas so the games they obtained the rights for were the Fox Sports South West games all other games will be on the regular channels (TXA21, ESPN, etc)

julesism
join:2001-12-12
North Little Rock, AR
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

julesism to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

ok... in the metro:
TWC Sports Channel (Texas stuff) is 185-SD and 148-HD.
TWC SportsNet (LA/Cali stuff) is 146-SD and 147-HD.
It looks like 148 is not part of El Paquetazo or Sports Pack. No FC Dallas in HD for me

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

as of 3/5/13:

these analogs have been removed:
CSPAN
EWTN
WGN America
G4

these now have a QAM carrier on each frequency:
2 (57MHz)
18 (147MHz)
25 (231MHz)

67 analog is the channel that has the info slide for the adapter notification.

Discovery Channel HD is in the clear on 2-1.

Discovery Channel HD is also now on the digital adapters

Also HBO is showing up on the adapters at channel 501 but I think that might be a accidental add to the DTA lineup or could be for the free preview at the end of the month and anyone with a clear QAM device needs to rescan for KTVT HD, KTXA HD, KERA HD, KERA World, WFAA HD, WFAA2, WFAA3 as they have moved to 18 (147MHz (KTVT HD and KTXA HD)) 25 (231MHz (KERA HD, KERA World, WFAA HD, WFAA2, WFAA3)) .

mike442
@rr.com

mike442

Anon

Where did G4 go? The message shows that it moved to digital as of 3/5, but I can't find it on my TV. I have no set top box.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by mike442 :

Where did G4 go? The message shows that it moved to digital as of 3/5, but I can't find it on my TV. I have no set top box.

you need a digital adapter as of today to get G4 you need to go pick one up at a payment center which are free until December and then they are .99 cents a month. The adapters get all of the channels from 2-99 which includes all of the channels that have moved to digital over that last few years and also gets all of the local HD channels and digital subchannels of the locals along with Discovery Channel HD

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

said by motorola870:The adapters get all of the channels from 2-99 which includes all of the channels that have moved to digital over that last few years and also gets all of the local HD channels and digital subchannels of the locals along with Discovery Channel HD

Yes, it's sweet to watch the "Dual Survivors" Discovery program in HD !

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

said by motorola870:The adapters get all of the channels from 2-99 which includes all of the channels that have moved to digital over that last few years and also gets all of the local HD channels and digital subchannels of the locals along with Discovery Channel HD

Yes, it's sweet to watch the "Dual Survivors" Discovery program in HD !

did you notice HBO on the DTA lineup?
jshuler
join:2004-11-29
Dallas, TX

jshuler to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
On my DVR (DCH6416), I get the message "this channel should be available shortly", for any channel greater than 29. I powered off box and called support to send signal but no luck. I have 2 other boxes that work fine. Tech cannot come out until sat., should I just exchange box atlocal office?

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

said by motorola870:did you notice HBO on the DTA lineup?

:

Yes, I did !

»www.freepreview.tv/hbo/f ··· ble.html

YoDaddy
@rr.com

YoDaddy to jshuler

Anon

to jshuler
said by jshuler:

On my DVR (DCH6416), I get the message "this channel should be available shortly", for any channel greater than 29. I powered off box and called support to send signal but no luck. I have 2 other boxes that work fine. Tech cannot come out until sat., should I just exchange box atlocal office?

Unplug the stb and leave unplugged for about 3 to 5 minutes, Plug back in and channels may appear in 5 minutes or so.

mike442
@spe.org

mike442 to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
you need a digital adapter as of today to get G4 you need to go pick one up at a payment center which are free until December and then they are .99 cents a month. The adapters get all of the channels from 2-99 which includes all of the channels that have moved to digital over that last few years and also gets all of the local HD channels and digital subchannels of the locals along with Discovery Channel HD
[/BQUOTE :

Can the digital adapter be purchased without going through TW? I currently lease no equipment from TW and would like to keep it that way.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by mike442 :

[/BQUOTE :

Can the digital adapter be purchased without going through TW? I currently lease no equipment from TW and would like to keep it that way.

no it is not purchasable and they are only .99 cents after december 1st which it would take about at least 20-30 plus months for you to even come close to breaking even on the purchase of one anyways but these are basically very small cable boxes that are one way devices and include a coax connection and a HDMI output with a HDMI cable in the install kit it is worth it. These adapters can get the limited basic tier HD channels on them without having to pay the $10 for the full HD box.