Search similar:

uniqs

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to PamelaTS

to PamelaTS

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

I wasnt talking to you, I was talking to Hob. My point was if you dont have any Tivo's then you have to invest in a 4 tuner Tivo to make the mini work, you cant just buy a Tivo mini and use it by itself.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by MeInDallas:

I wasnt talking to you, I was talking to Hob. My point was if you dont have any Tivo's then you have to invest in a 4 tuner Tivo to make the mini work, you cant just buy a Tivo mini and use it by itself.

Yes agreed.

My Figures were taken from the Tivo website

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· o%20mini

What is the MSRP for TiVo Mini?
The MSRP for TiVo Mini is $149.99.

What service plans are available for TiVo Mini?
TiVo offers a monthly service plan for TiVo Mini at $5.99 per month with a minimum of one (1) year commitment. TiVo also offers a product lifetime service (PLS) plan as a $149.99 one-time fee.

What does TiVo Mini cost?
To be activated, TiVo Mini requires a one-time fee of $99.99 for the unit and a service plan.

I understand why some will opt for a Tivo option in order to save a monthly DVR fee. If you can afford the upfront costs, the lifetime guide data and a nice Best Buy extended warranty then go right ahead. I am sure there are threads more appropriate than one dealing with DTA's.

Hob

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

Honestly I havent checked into them other than what I've seen people post over at the Tivo Community website. I went thru so much hell with Tivo over the past year, and threw so much money at them that I am done until they get their software fixed. I used to be a big Tivo fan but that changed this last year.

One other thing I learned about Tivo people is that you cannot disagree with them, they only see things one way, their own. They do not think there are any other possible options out there other than Tivo. They always talk about how bad the cable company DVR's are, and how bad the Ceton cards are. I've tried both and for now I'm all the way Team Ceton. I have a stack of Tivo boxes sitting here now that I dont/cant use because its such a nightmare on TWC. I really dont see what the big draw is with Tivo anymore.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by MeInDallas:

Yes agreed.

My Figures were taken from the Tivo website

»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· o%20mini

What is the MSRP for TiVo Mini?
The MSRP for TiVo Mini is $149.99.

What service plans are available for TiVo Mini?
TiVo offers a monthly service plan for TiVo Mini at $5.99 per month with a minimum of one (1) year commitment. TiVo also offers a product lifetime service (PLS) plan as a $149.99 one-time fee.

What does TiVo Mini cost?
To be activated, TiVo Mini requires a one-time fee of $99.99 for the unit and a service plan.

I understand why some will opt for a Tivo option in order to save a monthly DVR fee. If you can afford the upfront costs, the lifetime guide data and a nice Best Buy extended warranty then go right ahead. I am sure there are threads more appropriate than one dealing with DTA's.

Hob

That's totally dishonest, there is NOT a $99 activation fee. The price not the msrp on the TiVo site IS $99.99. Go buy a car you don't pay msrp! Mrsp is not a realistic number, I don't pay MSRP for just about anything. Except maybe to the cable company. I most certainly dont for my phone.

The total price on the TiVo site fir a mini for an existing tivo $99.99 + service period end of sentence. You manufactured that activation fee crap.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
Screen cap from Tivo's site
said by PamelaTS:

You manufactured that activation fee crap.

Actually Tivo manufactured that activation fee crap. Had you followed the link Hob posted to Tivo's own FAQ you would've seen that.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

Click for full size
EXACTLY! What does this say

"What does TiVo Mini cost?
To be activated, TiVo Mini requires a one-time fee of $99.99 for the unit and a service plan."

What is does not say is what Hob eluded to MRSP

"149.99 Purchase price
149.99 Service Fee or 5.99 a month

That alone is 300 months of a 99 cent DTA.

I just found out there is a one time 99.99 activation fee.

Now we are at 400 months"

No, TiVo IS NOT charging MRSP plus; indeed it is $99.99 or $50 off the MRSP plus service. So HONESTLY it is NOT $149.99 + $149.99 + $99.99 as he had stated. It is as I stated $99.99 plus service say lifetime $149.99. It's reading what it actually says and doing arithmetic!

Because it requires an active TiVo MSD (Multi Service Discount) is built in already. With access to all recorded content on all TiVo DVR's in the house, every channel accessible via cable card on the 4 tuner DVR, a bargan. The $0.99 p/m converter from Time Warner Cable is featureless, will never access any DVR!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Your missing the point but never mind.

Hob

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

Looks HBO is going to be available on DTA at least temporary for the HBO free preview this weekend

it is on 501 on the DTA and is listed as "HBO DTA" as the channel identifier.

Hmm I wonder if HBO DTA is for hotels and Time Warner removed the analog channel that was reserved for it analog in their hospitality lineups? I cannot tune it so I am going to assume it is for Hotels such as best western etc.

It would make since now that they are deploying DTAs they are probably giving them out to hotels now to use in their rooms to compensate for all of the analogs that have been dropped over the last few years plus they would get all of the local channels except for KDTN and HD versions of locals and Discovery Channel HD.

I know that there is a node next to the Holiday inn near the parks mall in Arlington so they likely have TWC services.
JSull
join:2013-01-15

JSull to PamelaTS

to PamelaTS
Anyone having problems receiving channel 944 for hockey games?

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX

Unbundled to Joe Siegler

Premium Member

to Joe Siegler
C-QAM Digital channel 02-1: The Discovery Channel, is no longer coming in. Does anyone know if that digital channel has been moved? (I, of course know that Discovery is available on analog channel 3.......).

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

C-QAM Digital channel 02-1: The Discovery Channel, is no longer coming in. Does anyone know if that digital channel has been moved? (I, of course know that Discovery is available on analog channel 3.......).

Discovery HD in Clear QAM did not move and it is still unencrypted seems that you are getting ingress noise on 57MHz.
DallasAg
join:2009-12-11
Rowlett, TX

DallasAg

said by motorola870:

said by Unbundled:

Discovery HD in Clear QAM did not move and it is still unencrypted seems that you are getting ingress noise on 57MHz.

This may or may not be related, but I am having trouble with Discovery HD as well, but only on my Tivo HD. I have both a Tivo HD with a TA and a TWC Motorola DVR. They are only separated by one splitter and a few feet of coax (they are actually located close together and connected to the same TV). On the TWC DVR I get Discovery HD on 756 just fine. But on my Tivo HD it says there is no signal at all on 756 (not just low, 0 signal level). I checked a random sample of other channels on the Tivo and all have very good signal levels, only Discovery HD 756 is missing.

I swapped the coax between the two and the problem stays the same so it does not seem to be a coax or connector issue. I also cycled power to the Tivo/TA and re-did guided setup to no avail.

The only other difference is the TA in-line with the Tivo but I can't imagine a TA failure that would only effect one single channel.

This just started a few days ago and I missed recording the season opener of Deadliest Catch.

For now I have switched all my Discovery recordings to the DVR so I am not missing anything else, but weird problems like this just bug the heck out of me until I figure them out! Any ideas? Thanks!

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
At my workplace, they have a TV with C-QAM using TW Cable, and it is getting Discovery in Digital on CH 2.1

I checked my C-QAM channel log that I made awhile back, and at home, I have Discovery in Digital widescreen on channel 82.1

So, no big deal for me, I'll be watching Discovery in Digital widescreen with C-QAM on 82.1 instead of 2.1. Digital is so much better than Analog Ch 3. HD is the best, but I can't find Discovery in HD through C-QAM (although it is on CH 756 with the DTA box.)
DallasAg
join:2009-12-11
Rowlett, TX

DallasAg

said by DallasAg:

This may or may not be related, but I am having trouble with Discovery HD as well, but only on my Tivo HD.

I checked some channel signal levels on both my Tivo and DVR. This first set is from the Tivo (not sure what the Tivo level units are but I think they run 0 - 100 percent?).

Channel Freq Level SNR
754 753MHz 45 29dB
755 675MHz 45 30dB
756 57MHz None None (The missing channel)
757 717MHz 45 31dB
758 705MHz 50 30dB

These next ones are from my Motorola DCH3416 DVR:

Channel Freq SNR
754 753MHz 21.9dB Fair
755 675MHz 31.0dB Fair
756 57MHz 31.0dB Fair
757 717MHz 32.3dB Fair
758 705MHz 32.0dB Fair

OOB Status:
Freq 75.25MHz
SNR 20dB Fair
AGC 21% Good

So it seems my signals are a little low but I don't really ever see any pixelization or dropouts. Just Discovery HD 756 missing on only the TiVO.

What other channels are on frequencies close to 57MHz? I would like to check them and see if they are very low. Maybe I have a problem at the lower frequencies. Thanks!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

DallasAg the closest channels to 57MHz are on 111MHz which are KDFW HD, KXAS HD and Cozi TV. But your signals are way out of acceptable range for receiving a good signal needs to be at least 33dB to 34dB to be considered acceptable anything below that begins quality degrading.
JSull
join:2013-01-15

JSull to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Anyone missing almost all channels. Above 459?
Getting 'this channel will be available shortly, ref code. S0007

Have reset box several times.. local csr sent signal to box....no change.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Bump thread to make it current as well as some possible news!

Looks like Time Warner is finally pulling the plug on Speed analog in Waco and may do so in Dallas/Fort Worth as well soon! I am going to be on the lookout for the mornings legal notice to say change speed channel 56 from expanded basic analog to expanded basic (digital only)
motorola870

motorola870

It does look like Speed will be going away from analog soon so there should be a notice in the mail soon saying that speed will no longer be available in analog format:

"Dallas and surrounding areas

Includes: Dallas, Greenville, Commerce.

Time Warner Cables agreements with programmers to carry their services routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, and carriage of programming services is discontinued only in rare circumstances. The following agreements with programmers are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services in the near future.

AYM Sports **
CBTV Michoacan **
Daystar
E!
E! HD **
Encore
Encore HD
Encore Action
Encore Drama
Encore Love
Encore Suspense
Encore Family
Encore Westerns
Flix **
G4
G4 HD
GolTV **
GolTV HD **
IFC
IFC HD **
KTVT (CBS)
KTVT (CBS) HD
KTXA (IND)
KTXA (IND) HD
Lifetime
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Real Women **
LMN
LMN HD
Mexico 22 **
Music Choice Channels
NHL Center Ice
NHL Center Ice HD
Once Mexico **
Showtime E
Showtime HD E
Showtime 2 E
Showtime 2 HD E
Showtime Showcase E
Showtime Showcase HD E
Showtime Extreme E
Showtime Extreme HD E **
Showtime Beyond E
Showtime Beyond HD E **
Showtime Next E
Showtime Next HD E **
Showtime Women E
Showtime Women HD E **
Showtime Family Zone E
Showtime W †
Showtime 2 W †
Showtime Showcase W †
Showtime Extreme W †
Showtime Beyond W †
Showtime On Demand
Smithsonian HD
Sprout **
Sprout On Demand **
Starz
Starz Cinema
Starz Comedy
Starz Edge
Starz Edge HD
Starz HD
Stars InBlack
Starz Kids & Family
Starz Kids & Family HD
Starz On Demand
Style
Style HD **
The Movie Channel E
The Movie Channel HD E
The Movie Channel Xtra E
The Movie Channel Xtra HD E **
The Movie Channel W †
The Movie Channel Xtra W †
The Movie Channel On Demand
WE tv
WE tv HD
Youtoo

** Excludes Greenville
† Greenville Only

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:

ADD:
None at this time

MOVE:
None at this time

DELETE:
KXAS (Cozi TV) from Basic Service Channel 365
Time Warner Cable may cease carriage of NuvoTV or reposition NuvoTV to the Mas Canales Tier of service **

CHANGE:
G4 on Standard Cable Channel 67, Digital Cable Channel 261 and HD Channel 729 will rebrand to Esquire Network (Dallas)
G4 on Digital Cable Channel 144 and HD Channel 729 will rebrand to Esquire Network (Greenville)
Speed on Standard Cable Channel 56 will be made available in digital format only (digital set top box required) (Dallas Only)

On or about June 4th, 2013 Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system in Greenville, Texas that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (in-the-clear) channels on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (a ClearQAM device):

Greenville
KERA (PBS) HD
WFAA (ABC) HD
WFAA (Accuweather)

(Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change.) If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing these channels. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The new services listed below cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment.

None at this Time

* HD Television and HD set-top box required to receive HD service
**Excludes Greenville
† Greenville Only

All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Time Warner Cable, Inc. All rights reserved. Time Warner Cable and the eye/ear logo are trademarks of Time Warner Inc. Used under license."

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· las.html

so there is this months first notice and looks like Greenville might be getting more SDV bandwidth to be able to handle future HD adds

Also around the state TWC is moving clear QAM channels to new locations to make room for 8 channel DOCSIS 3.0 downstream bonding and the Dallas area is the first area in the state to get the upgrades and they will be rolling out to the rest of the state it looks like in the summer/fall.
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark

Wow. Cozi is going away. (If I'm reading this correctly.)

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX

1 edit

Unbundled

Premium Member

And Ch 11 and Ch 21 are perhaps going away. But I thought cable companies were required to carry "local" channels ??

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

And Ch 11 and Ch 21 are perhaps going away. But I though cable companies were required to carry "local" channels ??

They are in negotiations to continue carrying all three of the services: Cozi, KTVT, and KTXA which is thanks to congress letting OTA channels scheme to get money out cable/satellite subscribers when their channels are free OTA.
newsmark
Irving, TX

newsmark

Unbundled,

Since the 1990s, each local OTA station has had to choose "must carry" or "retransmission consent," which can mean anything from cash payment, promo time or carriage of additional stations--or some combination. That was an act of Congress.

Some people think it's unfair to charge the cable/satellite companies to carry a "Free" signal. On the other hand, the cable/satellite companies charge YOU for those signals. (And some networks actually charge fees to the stations, based on their cable/satellite coverage.)

TV stations really do need a second source of revenue (besides advertising). They have to compete with cable channels that face very little regulation and DO have a dual revenue stream (advertising and subscription fees).

However, it gets pretty convoluted. A company that owns both OTA stations and cable channels can link carriage of the OTA station with carriage (and fees) for little watched or very expensive cable channels.

I don't know whether they do, but ABC *could* link an OTA O&O station's contract with the cable company to carriage of ESPN channels. Same with Fox O&Os and Fox Sports Networks, FX, etc.

If you're not a sports fan, this might tick you off. Some estimates say ESPN gets up to $4/month for each subscriber! That's just ESPN! ESPN2, ESPNET, etc get additional fees. You also pay a lot for other sports channels.

I think local TV stations are worth SOMETHING out of your cable bill, but certainly not $4/month.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

said by newsmark:

Unbundled,

Since the 1990s, each local OTA station has had to choose "must carry" or "retransmission consent," which can mean anything from cash payment, promo time or carriage of additional stations--or some combination. That was an act of Congress.

I don't know whether they do, but ABC *could* link an OTA O&O station's contract with the cable company to carriage of ESPN channels. Same with Fox O&Os and Fox Sports Networks, FX, etc.

If you're not a sports fan, this might tick you off. Some estimates say ESPN gets up to $4/month for each subscriber! That's just ESPN! ESPN2, ESPNET, etc get additional fees. You also pay a lot for other sports channels.

I do like Sports, but it's the MTV station that I hate paying for.

MTV should be an option, and *not* on basic. But, I guess the Social Engineers behind the scenes, got their way, and MTV is beamed to every cable household in the US. Must be a pretty important message to get that kinf of treatment.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

See I'm the opposite, they can put all those sports channels on one tier and charge for the whole lot of them for whoever wants them. I have all those sports channels unticked on the guide so I dont even have to see them. I'm to the point if cable gets any higher I'm just gonna start using an antenna. I love my cable shows but its getting to be a lot to pay for every month. Everytime I threaten to cancel they come at me with some deal to keep me, but the cat and mouse game is getting old.
newsmark
Irving, TX

newsmark

said by MeInDallas:

See I'm the opposite, they can put all those sports channels on one tier and charge for the whole lot of them for whoever wants them.

Wouldn't that be nice? But the sports channels want the fee from every subscriber. They only offer "all-or-nothing." Either you put them on the expanded basic tier or you don't get it at all.

Unbundled, if it makes you feel any better, you probably pay around 33 cents a month for MTV, compared to $4 for ESPN. Here's a list "Consumerist.com" published about 3 years ago. I think it's safe to say most channels have gone up a bit.

»consumerist.com/2010/03/ ··· ou-hate/

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled

Premium Member

I got my Discovery Channel in HD back by doing a new Channel Scan, so it's back on 2.1 -- Previously just doing the Digital Add-On Scan did not give me 2.1

Also, I now have all the C-SPAN channels in HD:
C-SPAN -- 81.5
C-SPAN 2 -- 81.3
C-SPAN 3 -- 101.10

After doing the re-scan, my TV said it logged 59 Analog, and 29 (Primary) Digital Channels.

After de-selecting the channels I do not regularly watch, I came up with 45 channels selected, which includes the sub-channels on from the primary Digital Channels.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I got my Discovery Channel in HD back by doing a new Channel Scan, so it's back on 2.1 -- Previously just doing the Digital Add-On Scan did not give me 2.1

Also, I now have all the C-SPAN channels in HD:
C-SPAN -- 81.5
C-SPAN 2 -- 81.3
C-SPAN 3 -- 101.10

After doing the re-scan, my TV said it logged 59 Analog, and 29 (Primary) Digital Channels.

After de-selecting the channels I do not regulary watch, I came up with 45 channels selected, which includes the sub-channels on from the primary Digital Channels.

looks like TWC is converting CSPAN HD,CSPAN 2 HD,CSPAN 3 HD to SD from the HD source now instead of using the SD feeds so that is a good sign that they can now add the HD versions in the near future

resamoore
@bellsouth.net

resamoore to Joe Siegler

Anon

to Joe Siegler

Greensboro, N.C Time Warner

I have no signal for 4 days but cable is still on. What can i do ??

motorola870
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

anyone else with iGuide boxes have no startover/lookback? My DVRs are saying not authorized for them

I wonder if TWC deactivates Startover/Lookback if the bill gets behind? A payment was made for last months bill last week and this months bill will be paid before the next billing cycle.
motorola870

motorola870

bump