uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Unbundled

to Unbundled

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

said by Unbundled:

And Ch 11 and Ch 21 are perhaps going away. But I though cable companies were required to carry "local" channels ??

They are in negotiations to continue carrying all three of the services: Cozi, KTVT, and KTXA which is thanks to congress letting OTA channels scheme to get money out cable/satellite subscribers when their channels are free OTA.
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark

Unbundled,

Since the 1990s, each local OTA station has had to choose "must carry" or "retransmission consent," which can mean anything from cash payment, promo time or carriage of additional stations--or some combination. That was an act of Congress.

Some people think it's unfair to charge the cable/satellite companies to carry a "Free" signal. On the other hand, the cable/satellite companies charge YOU for those signals. (And some networks actually charge fees to the stations, based on their cable/satellite coverage.)

TV stations really do need a second source of revenue (besides advertising). They have to compete with cable channels that face very little regulation and DO have a dual revenue stream (advertising and subscription fees).

However, it gets pretty convoluted. A company that owns both OTA stations and cable channels can link carriage of the OTA station with carriage (and fees) for little watched or very expensive cable channels.

I don't know whether they do, but ABC *could* link an OTA O&O station's contract with the cable company to carriage of ESPN channels. Same with Fox O&Os and Fox Sports Networks, FX, etc.

If you're not a sports fan, this might tick you off. Some estimates say ESPN gets up to $4/month for each subscriber! That's just ESPN! ESPN2, ESPNET, etc get additional fees. You also pay a lot for other sports channels.

I think local TV stations are worth SOMETHING out of your cable bill, but certainly not $4/month.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

said by newsmark:

Unbundled,

Since the 1990s, each local OTA station has had to choose "must carry" or "retransmission consent," which can mean anything from cash payment, promo time or carriage of additional stations--or some combination. That was an act of Congress.

I don't know whether they do, but ABC *could* link an OTA O&O station's contract with the cable company to carriage of ESPN channels. Same with Fox O&Os and Fox Sports Networks, FX, etc.

If you're not a sports fan, this might tick you off. Some estimates say ESPN gets up to $4/month for each subscriber! That's just ESPN! ESPN2, ESPNET, etc get additional fees. You also pay a lot for other sports channels.

I do like Sports, but it's the MTV station that I hate paying for.

MTV should be an option, and *not* on basic. But, I guess the Social Engineers behind the scenes, got their way, and MTV is beamed to every cable household in the US. Must be a pretty important message to get that kinf of treatment.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

See I'm the opposite, they can put all those sports channels on one tier and charge for the whole lot of them for whoever wants them. I have all those sports channels unticked on the guide so I dont even have to see them. I'm to the point if cable gets any higher I'm just gonna start using an antenna. I love my cable shows but its getting to be a lot to pay for every month. Everytime I threaten to cancel they come at me with some deal to keep me, but the cat and mouse game is getting old.
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark

said by MeInDallas:

See I'm the opposite, they can put all those sports channels on one tier and charge for the whole lot of them for whoever wants them.

Wouldn't that be nice? But the sports channels want the fee from every subscriber. They only offer "all-or-nothing." Either you put them on the expanded basic tier or you don't get it at all.

Unbundled, if it makes you feel any better, you probably pay around 33 cents a month for MTV, compared to $4 for ESPN. Here's a list "Consumerist.com" published about 3 years ago. I think it's safe to say most channels have gone up a bit.

»consumerist.com/2010/03/ ··· ou-hate/

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled

Premium Member

I got my Discovery Channel in HD back by doing a new Channel Scan, so it's back on 2.1 -- Previously just doing the Digital Add-On Scan did not give me 2.1

Also, I now have all the C-SPAN channels in HD:
C-SPAN -- 81.5
C-SPAN 2 -- 81.3
C-SPAN 3 -- 101.10

After doing the re-scan, my TV said it logged 59 Analog, and 29 (Primary) Digital Channels.

After de-selecting the channels I do not regularly watch, I came up with 45 channels selected, which includes the sub-channels on from the primary Digital Channels.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

I got my Discovery Channel in HD back by doing a new Channel Scan, so it's back on 2.1 -- Previously just doing the Digital Add-On Scan did not give me 2.1

Also, I now have all the C-SPAN channels in HD:
C-SPAN -- 81.5
C-SPAN 2 -- 81.3
C-SPAN 3 -- 101.10

After doing the re-scan, my TV said it logged 59 Analog, and 29 (Primary) Digital Channels.

After de-selecting the channels I do not regulary watch, I came up with 45 channels selected, which includes the sub-channels on from the primary Digital Channels.

looks like TWC is converting CSPAN HD,CSPAN 2 HD,CSPAN 3 HD to SD from the HD source now instead of using the SD feeds so that is a good sign that they can now add the HD versions in the near future

resamoore
@bellsouth.net

resamoore to Joe Siegler

Anon

to Joe Siegler

Greensboro, N.C Time Warner

I have no signal for 4 days but cable is still on. What can i do ??

motorola870
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

anyone else with iGuide boxes have no startover/lookback? My DVRs are saying not authorized for them

I wonder if TWC deactivates Startover/Lookback if the bill gets behind? A payment was made for last months bill last week and this months bill will be paid before the next billing cycle.
motorola870

motorola870

bump
motorola870

motorola870

Starz and Encore Play are now available! all you have to have is the digital plus pack for Encore Play and the Starz Package to gain access to Starz Play

runner77
join:2010-03-12
Frisco, TX

runner77

A couple of months ago I was in the Plano office swapping out my cable box when the TWC worker told me about Samsung boxes that the techs were currently testing at home. Does anyone have any info on those? Model? Features? etc.?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

2 edits

motorola870

said by runner77:

A couple of months ago I was in the Plano office swapping out my cable box when the TWC worker told me about Samsung boxes that the techs were currently testing at home. Does anyone have any info on those? Model? Features? etc.?

I don't think TWC is testing samsung boxes more than likely they are the DCX3600 six tuner box. I was told that North Texas is only Motorola and I was told by one the guys that stocks the boxes at the Arlington office that they are testing a box that should be out next year. I was also told by a phone rep they are testing the newest Motorola box but I doubt they are testing a Samsung box.

Remember you are talking about the people that said we were going Samsung several years ago and it never did happen. I believe it 2009 that I was told that. So don't believe everything said it was likely the DCX3600.

Okay it is looking like Samsung is not going to be the manufacturer of the new boxes their newest box only gets 4 tuners instead it will be the DCX3600 as it has 6 tuners. I was told that they are testing Cisco boxes in NY but here they are testing the DCX3600 not Samsung's newest boxes.
motorola870

1 edit

motorola870 to runner77

to runner77
Edit: I called and got someone locally and they said yes they are testing motorola boxes and it is a 6 tuner DVR so it will be the DCX3600

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

said by motorola870:

Edit: I called and got someone locally and they said yes they are testing motorola boxes and it is a 6 tuner DVR so it will be the DCX3600

Any idea when we might be able to actually get one of those? Is it going to be this year like they have said, or are they going to string it out into 2014?

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

If the 3400, 3400m and 3510 are any indication, they normally test for 2-3 years before starting to slowly start to think about rolling them out after employee testing.

Been with TWC since before it was TWC, and typically they roll out boxes 2-3 years after the boxes come on the market.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by chamberc:

If the 3400, 3400m and 3510 are any indication, they normally test for 2-3 years before starting to slowly start to think about rolling them out after employee testing.

Been with TWC since before it was TWC, and typically they roll out boxes 2-3 years after the boxes come on the market.

actually the DCX3400 were testing in early 2009 shortly before they rolled out I think it took 6-12 months for it to rollout not 3 years

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

Well I wish they would roll it out right thru my front door and under my TV
chris_dfw
join:2001-07-18
Dallas, TX

chris_dfw to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler

Anyone else with a TA and SDV out in Dallas 75219 here. Been out since the storm

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by chris_dfw:

Anyone else with a TA and SDV out in Dallas 75219 here. Been out since the storm

that looked like a nasty storm sorry about that I was driving down 360 and it was a lightning show!

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

Re: Greensboro, N.C Time Warner

said by motorola870:

said by chamberc:

actually the DCX3400 were testing in early 2009 shortly before they rolled out I think it took 6-12 months for it to rollout not 3 years

3400's started testing in mid 2008.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by chamberc:

said by motorola870:

said by chamberc:

3400's started testing in mid 2008.

all I know is that I was told they were testing early 2009 sorry about that. I now have a DCX3510 seems to be really nice compared to the software TWC was using on the DCX-M boxes in 2011 I know that we have ODN 6.0.0_19 running right now with 6.1.0_6 waiting to be loaded.
motorola870

motorola870

Okay haven't really posted any new legal notice info in a while.

Well we have channels coming!

International:
CCTV News channel 229
the following will be in the 344-347 range
Star India Plus
Star India Gold
Life OK
Star India News

Sports Pass:
Universal Sports net SD channel 238
Universal Sports net HD channel 239

HD Tier:
beIN Sport HD channel 809 (duplication of channel carriage in HD package)

add to expanded basic digital only:
AMC channel 50 digital

move AMC HD:
Digital Basic HD 773 to Expanded Basic HD 773

add:
pro sports on demand channel 605

change:
Health On Demand to be Healthy On Demand
North Texas On Demand to Local On Demand

possible deletions:
CBS Sports Channel SD/HD
Nuvo TV
KXAS Cozi TV

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler

I was really surprised today, I had recently received my bill, and decided to drop Showtime for awhile until Homeland comes back on, and while I was talking to the guy at TWC he said he noticed I had cable cards and asked me would I be interested in their new 6 tuner DVR once it was released and of course I screamed out YESS!!! I told him it was the first time anyone I had ever spoke with at TWC actually knew about it, and he said he had one at his house using it now. I asked him if he knew when we could get one or two, and he said TWC had told them it would be in time for the new fall season. I asked him if he knew anything on prices and he said that it would be the same as renting a DVR now unless you get the whole home system.

I dont know how true any of this is, but just thought I would share it. I hope its true though.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by MeInDallas:

I was really surprised today, I had recently received my bill, and decided to drop Showtime for awhile until Homeland comes back on, and while I was talking to the guy at TWC he said he noticed I had cable cards and asked me would I be interested in their new 6 tuner DVR once it was released and of course I screamed out YESS!!! I told him it was the first time anyone I had ever spoke with at TWC actually knew about it, and he said he had one at his house using it now. I asked him if he knew when we could get one or two, and he said TWC had told them it would be in time for the new fall season. I asked him if he knew anything on prices and he said that it would be the same as renting a DVR now unless you get the whole home system.

I dont know how true any of this is, but just thought I would share it. I hope its true though.

yeah they are testing the new DCX3600s now I wonder if they are testing the DCX box that has no tuner and just hooks up to the gateway?

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

From what he told me they are just testing the 6 tuner DVR in his area. I asked him where he was and he said in San Antonio, I thought well thats close enough. I asked about the whole gateway system and he said he didnt know anything about that yet. Maybe they are testing in different areas? It is exciting though, I'm so ready for it!!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by MeInDallas:

From what he told me they are just testing the 6 tuner DVR in his area. I asked him where he was and he said in San Antonio, I thought well thats close enough. I asked about the whole gateway system and he said he didnt know anything about that yet. Maybe they are testing in different areas? It is exciting though, I'm so ready for it!!

well from what I was told North Texas is Testing the DCX3600s as they are saying new motorola boxes are in testing and that NY and other places are testing the Cisco boxes I am surprised TWC got Navigator working with a motorola headend Oh and cable cards in the newer DCX boxes are Motorola so they are able to use a motorola headend with Navigator also the motorola Navigator ODN systems was first to get DSG (DOCSIS Settop Gateway) before the Cisco areas :P
motorola870

motorola870 to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas
said by MeInDallas:

the channel adds for right now are blah but the real action seems to that TWC is doing another round of digital adapter launches and analogs cuts more areas starting on 7/30/13 with Wichita Falls having 5 more analogs yanked. I think Wichita Falls is still 750MHz. I know that Greenville got upgraded to 860MHz in the last few years. Oh and Wichita Falls has some of the same nodes that North Texas does as they are considered a part of the North Texas systems clustering even though they have their own headend and channel lineup.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

I cant wait! I've been thinking about it all day. I actually called this morning to inquire about Directv and the Genie. When all was said and done I wouldve come out cheaper staying with TWC, so I axed the whole Directv thing. Thats when I called TWC and got the great news. I have one of the DCX3510's that has Navigator on it, and I rather like it much better than the iGuide. I had 2 of the DCX3400's and I thought they were good boxes too. My only gripe has always been I need more than 2 tuners please!

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by MeInDallas:

I cant wait! I've been thinking about it all day. I actually called this morning to inquire about Directv and the Genie. When all was said and done I wouldve come out cheaper staying with TWC, so I axed the whole Directv thing. Thats when I called TWC and got the great news. I have one of the DCX3510's that has Navigator on it, and I rather like it much better than the iGuide. I had 2 of the DCX3400's and I thought they were good boxes too. My only gripe has always been I need more than 2 tuners please!

FYI the current ODN software only allows for 5 tuners not six.