Search similar:

uniqs

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to motorola870

to motorola870

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

Even if they released it with just 5 of the tuners working, and the possibility of later on enabling all 6, I could go for that, you wont hear me complain
Kwijibo
join:2013-08-02
Richardson, TX

Kwijibo to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
It looks like TWC has gone through with their threat to remove CBS and Showtime. Tuning any of those channels now displays a message confirming the removal, telling customers to use an antenna for CBS, and that TWC is temporarily substituting Starz for Showtime subscribers.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Kwijibo:

It looks like TWC has gone through with their threat to remove CBS and Showtime. Tuning any of those channels now displays a message confirming the removal, telling customers to use an antenna for CBS, and that TWC is temporarily substituting Starz for Showtime subscribers.

what about Flix? All I saw on that one was a slate saying to go to their web page about the CBS conflict.
Kwijibo
Richardson, TX

Kwijibo

I didn't know Flix was part of the same dispute. It is off the air too, displaying a shorter on-screen message than the one seen on CBS or Showtime channels.

VictorT
@rr.com

VictorT to Kwijibo

Anon

to Kwijibo
Even more upsetting for me right now, TXA 21 is also removed, which means Friday's Rangers game against Oakland is not being shown. Both companies need to die in a fire.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by VictorT :

Even more upsetting for me right now, TXA 21 is also removed, which means Friday's Rangers game against Oakland is not being shown. Both companies need to die in a fire.

and they walloped the A's last night too

oh and it looks like TWC upped the speeds on extreme, ultimate 50 and ultimate 75 a little I am now getting 35 down and 5.5 up on extreme and someone in Dallas was getting 85 down and 5.6 up on Ultimate 75

Question
@swbell.net

Question

Anon

What about the FCC licenses for Channel 11 and Channel 21? Have they been renewed?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Question :

What about the FCC licenses for Channel 11 and Channel 21? Have they been renewed?

why would that matter? They are independent of Cable TV talks. Technically CBS is not breaking the law by demanding payment for their stations where it is crossing the line is the excessive greed that that is the problem. Upper management at CBS has been gloating about how much they will rake in from Cable/satellite subs in the contract renewals. It is time to redo the 1992 cable act and make OTA channels must carry only again without compensation because the channels keep asking for more and more each time I can see in 5 years Fox 4 or NBC 5 wanting $5 for their channel as they seem to double their costs each time.

Question
@swbell.net

Question

Anon

said by motorola870:

said by Question :

why would that matter?

It appears some licenses held by CBS are trying to charge more to some local cable systems than other local cable systems. The licensing procedures are an opportunity for the public to complain about this. Greedy management at CBS needs to be put in a position of answering, so people can see just how unreasonable they are - and how they are not acting in a manner consistent with the public interest, convenience or necessity. Second, it demonstrates a history of inconsistent conduct in dealing with the public, where they improve transmission facilities to reach more viewers and charge more for advertising. Then they try to charge some viewers connected with cable even more. When they lost the cable connection, did they reduce charges to advertisers? We doubt it. It appears they are charging advertisers for cable distribution of their messages that is no longer in place.
said by motorola870:

They are independent of Cable TV talks. Technically CBS is not breaking the law by demanding payment for their stations where it is crossing the line is the excessive greed that that is the problem. Upper management at CBS has been gloating about how much they will rake in from Cable/satellite subs in the contract renewals. It is time to redo the 1992 cable act and make OTA channels must carry only again without compensation because the channels keep asking for more and more each time I can see in 5 years Fox 4 or NBC 5 wanting $5 for their channel as they seem to double their costs each time.

I support your suggestion about a "must carry rule" "without compensation." They broadcast a signal that is intended for reception by the general public. The signal is advertiser supported. Advertisers pay them money with the intent that messages are received by the public. Putting up a new barrier to reception of such paid-for messages is not reasonable, and it's misleading to advertisers who thought they would have this connection. Also there are viewers who are well within the licensed broadcast area, where they can also receive the same signal directly over the air with an antenna. The connection through cable or satellite of the same local signal may provide a little additional convenience for the public, but doesn't provide any content that is different than what is locally broadcast.

For cable systems, the whole thing amounts to their misrepresentation of service to the public, or at minimum a public that is mislead. People signed up for cable with the understanding that they would have certain channels, that are now gone.
Kwijibo
Richardson, TX

1 edit

Kwijibo to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
I see there was a short discussion above on DSC HD. The channel was also unwatchable on my Tivo XL4 when TWC first moved DSC HD down to 57mhz, with uncorrected errors incrementing by thousands (where a normal channel will show 0 uncorrected errors).

Through experimentation, I discovered that feeding the Tivo using a passive splitter in front of the tuning adapter rather than using the internal splitter on the tuning adapter restored the channel's watchability.

Even though using a passive splitter should result in the same 3db loss as using the internal splitter in the tuning adapter, something about the tuning adapter's internal splitter is horrible with that particular low frequency signal.
newsmark
join:2009-04-07
Irving, TX

newsmark to Question

to Question
said by motorola870:

[It is time to redo the 1992 cable act and make OTA channels must carry only again without compensation because the channels keep asking for more and more each time]

I think there's plenty of blame on both sides, but I don 't think must carry without comp is the answer.

Assuming that happened, you'd have TV stations, who get money only from advertising based on ratings, competing with cable networks who get money from ratings-based advertising *and* from cable/satellite subscribers, whether they ever watch the channel or not. It would put local TV stations at a competitive disadvantage, considering they have additional costs and additional federal requirements, but only one revenue stream.

I really believe a local broadcaster with local news deserves a bit of a subscriber fee. (After all, the cable company charges YOU for local programming. If you're reselling my product, you gotta buy it from me first. You wanna give it away? Be my guest!)

But I don't like how (at the corporate level), the networks will essentially hold their local stations hostage to force a higher rate for their cable networks. Papers TWC has filed with the FCC indicate this may be the case this time.

»www.hollywoodreporter.co ··· e-599636
DallasAg
join:2009-12-11
Rowlett, TX

DallasAg to Kwijibo

to Kwijibo
said by Kwijibo:

I see there was a short discussion above on DSC HD. The channel was also unwatchable on my Tivo XL4 when TWC first moved DSC HD down to 57mhz, with uncorrected errors incrementing by thousands (where a normal channel will show 0 uncorrected errors).

Through experimentation, I discovered that feeding the Tivo using a passive splitter in front of the tuning adapter rather than using the internal splitter on the tuning adapter restored the channel's watchability.

Even though using a passive splitter should result in the same 3db loss as using the internal splitter in the tuning adapter, something about the tuning adapter's internal splitter is horrible with that particular low frequency signal.

Agreed. I was a part of that discussion. I first lost DSC HD and after some time, NBC 5 HD (363 @ 111MHz) started having a lot of pixelation as well. I had some bad connections outside the house and replacing those helped a bit. But to fix DSC HD, I also took the Tivo off the pass through connection via the TA and put it on a three way splitter (going to a TWC DVR, Tivo HD and the TA). The Tivo signal level on DSC HD jumped from 65 to 81 and the SNR from 30 dB to 35 dB. Spot checking some other channels I found that most SNRs increased by at least 3 dB as well.

Now all is well. I would recommend not connecting the Tivo through a TA. Not sure if it is necessary, but I terminated the unused TA RF output with a 75 ohm termination cap as well. I sure would like to know why so much loss through the TA though.
DallasAg

DallasAg to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Boy, Tivo wasted no time in removing CBS 11 from the guide data and replacing it with SLATE. Usually takes them weeks to respond to channel lineup changes. But I have an OTA antenna connected to my Tivo as well so I am not missing anything.....he he he, I'm not playing your game CBS/TWC!

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

It is time to redo the 1992 cable act and make OTA channels must carry only again without compensation because the channels keep asking for more and more each time I can see in 5 years Fox 4 or NBC 5 wanting $5 for their channel as they seem to double their costs each time.

They better bring ala carte pricing then, because I will not pay any extra for ANY OTA channels.
Kwijibo
Richardson, TX

Kwijibo to DallasAg

to DallasAg
said by DallasAg:

Boy, Tivo wasted no time in removing CBS 11 from the guide data and replacing it with SLATE. Usually takes them weeks to respond to channel lineup changes. But I have an OTA antenna connected to my Tivo as well so I am not missing anything.....he he he, I'm not playing your game CBS/TWC!

I hope Tivo replaces the CBS/Showtime guide data as quickly as it was removed. I have little doubt the channels are coming back--we just need to wait until both sides have exhausted their posturing.
DallasAg
Rowlett, TX

DallasAg to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
I have an ancient Motorola DVR that I've had for years (Tivo HD is my primary DVR) just as a backup and watch the occasional on-demand program. But it is starting to act up (missing recordings, lockups, very slow to respond to remote (like up to 30 seconds), etc. If I run it in to a TWC service center (say like in Garland) to swap out, what DVRs are now being given out? What am I likely to get? What is the best new TWC DVR being currently used in North Texas I should try to get? Thanks.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by DallasAg:

I have an ancient Motorola DVR that I've had for years (Tivo HD is my primary DVR) just as a backup and watch the occasional on-demand program. But it is starting to act up (missing recordings, lockups, very slow to respond to remote (like up to 30 seconds), etc. If I run it in to a TWC service center (say like in Garland) to swap out, what DVRs are now being given out? What am I likely to get? What is the best new TWC DVR being currently used in North Texas I should try to get? Thanks.

For non-whole house DVR's, probably a DCX3400...
DallasAg
Rowlett, TX

DallasAg to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
My cable modem (Motorola Surf Board) has started rebooting at least once a day, but I think the signal levels look OK (see below). The logs leading up to a reboot are also below. Any thoughts? Bad modem maybe? Thanks!

Software Version: SB5101-2.11.0.0-GA-04-597-NOSH
Hardware Version: 1
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0

Downstream Value
Frequency 789000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.8 dB
Power Level 4.4 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 10
Frequency 33000000 Hz
Power 52.4 dBmV

1970-01-01 00:00:08 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2013-08-04 10:33:36 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...
2013-08-04 10:33:36 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o
2013-08-04 10:33:03 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
DallasAg

DallasAg to chamberc

to chamberc
said by chamberc:

For non-whole house DVR's, probably a DCX3400...

Thanks!
DallasAg

DallasAg

said by DallasAg:

I have an ancient Motorola DVR ... But it is starting to act up ...

More DVR weridness....Got home tonight and the Motorola DCH3416 DVR was displaying "EAS" on its front panel and when I turned on the TV, I got a black screen with the following text on it:

Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
Kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i586 on an i686 (tty1)

TWCPlaroEAS login:

What's up with that? Never saw anything like this before. I searched the internet and found EAS may mean "Emergency Alert Service", but what about the login message? It wouldn't respond to remote or front panel buttons. Power cycling seemed to clear it and it came back up OK (for now). Anyone seen this before? This sucker it going back to TWC as soon as I can get to it.......

Sorry about my flury of posts and questions!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

The DVR got hung up on an EAS alert... it happens occasionally to boxes.

The screen you were seeing was mirrored from the EAS gear in the local headend, it was nothing you could login to with the box.

Reseting the box like you did is about the only solution from your end.
jtltke137
join:2009-02-28

jtltke137 to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler
Yesterday in the Dallas Morning News Watchdog column they mentioned the TWC cable modem rental fee is going up to $5.95 a month. Ridiculous.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by jtltke137:

Yesterday in the Dallas Morning News Watchdog column they mentioned the TWC cable modem rental fee is going up to $5.95 a month. Ridiculous.

Good thing no one is forced to pay it.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled to Joe Siegler

Premium Member

to Joe Siegler

TWC CBS / KTXA CQAM Programming Notes

During the TWC/CBS pay dispute, TWC has been putting other programming on the CBS channel.

Here's what I have observed tuning in TWC with my TV's CQAM digital/analog tuner (I did a re-scan last night):

Today, Sunday, Aug. 18th, at 1:30pm CT (2:30pm ET):

CH "11", "78.103", and "101.7" had the Disney movie "BRAVE" playing. I checked the Starz website, and I could not find that BRAVE was airing at that specific time on any of the Starz channels. So maybe that was TWC providing an "On-Demand" showing of the movie??

(I do not remember if before my re-scan last night, if, I was getting CH 11.1, but I am not now getting 11.1 or 21.1)

However, CH 18.1 was airing "GUESS WHO", which was on the Starz Kids And Family schedule for that time.

»www.starz.com/schedule#g ··· view_tab

Where KTXA CH 21 would be, is just the TWC notice, only, with no alternate programming there.

BTY, I see that TWC is no longer even listing CBS CH 11 or KTXA CH 21 in their TWC TV listings:

»tvlistings.timewarnercab ··· istings/

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

18.1 is showing Starz kids and Family East HD
18.3 is a slide
78.103 is showing Starz Kids and Family West SD
101.7 is Starz Kids and Family East SD
101.8 is a slide

so essentially the DTAs and Cable boxes have different feeds of the channels but QAM tuners get both.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

1 edit

Unbundled

Premium Member

Yes, the problem was the Starz site defaults to a display of the East Channels, and even if you select "All Channels", it's still "East". I would have to "Log In" to their site for more options....

Thank you M870 for clearing that up !

(Bty, as a side note, do you know why the avatars do not show in this thread, but show elsewhere on the dsl site, ie check any of the News story Comment Sections....)

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I see your avatar in this thread!

Hob

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium Member
Irving, TX
Technicolor E31T2V1

Unbundled

Premium Member

Okay, I'll check my settings !

BTY, the Starz East programming I'm seeing with the CQAM tuner at 18-1 is widescreen Digital.

But, I am not getting Digital W/S for Starz West on 78-103 or 101-3. The analong CH 11 is also not W/S. If there's a digital Starz West W/S avialbale for CQAM tuners, I have not found it.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Unbundled:

Okay, I'll check my settings !

BTY, the Starz East programming I'm seeing with the CQAM tuner at 18-1 is widescreen Digital.

But, I am not getting Digital W/S for Starz West on 78-103 or 101-3. The analong CH 11 is also not W/S. If there's a digital Starz West W/S avialbale for CQAM tuners, I have not found it.

okay 18-1 is HD not widescreen digital TWC may be not giving it full bandwidth though. It is showing as HD on my QAM tuner though and no there is not a HD version of Starz Kids and Family West in HD as TWC is likely just remapping a duplicate of the SDV version of Starz Kids and Family HD to the 18-1 in addition to it being SDV for the channel 840 Feed and they were able to get Starz West off of one of the satellite receivers that they have at the headend.
Kwijibo
Richardson, TX

Kwijibo to Joe Siegler

to Joe Siegler

Re: [TWC] Dallas/Ft Worth Metro Vol II -- Time Warner

Any insider speculation on when the TWC/CBS dispute might be ending? I don't miss CBS so much, but I really miss my Showtime!

Despite early reports stating we would receive credit for the unavailability of Showtime, my bill does not show any credit even though several days of the outage are within the service period.

Is this something that every customer will need to request individually, or were early reports incorrect?