All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to MineCoast

Anon

to MineCoast

Re: Which do you like gas or electric stove?

Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. Gas mains threaten entire townships (just look at what happened to that condo complex in NJ--500 units destroyed when a 36" main was severed by construction machinery).. it's too dangerous.
I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen, and doesn't heat the pot handles to scorching temps like gas burners do. Electric all the way. Ban gas!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by disconnected :

Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. (snip)
I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen,
Oh well. BTW that heat the electric makes, where does it go, since it's not heating the kitchen?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Gas mains threaten entire townships (just look at what happened to that condo complex in NJ--500 units destroyed when a 36" main was severed by construction machinery)
hmmm . . . sounds to me like "construction machinery" was the one that was dangerous

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

1 recommendation

CylonRed to disconnected

MVM

to disconnected
Zero reason to ban gas or else you would also need to ban the internal combustion engine or anything else flammable - nail polish, alcohol etc.... They would also have to ban those newly built gas fired electric plans that don't seem to have problems with explosions.

For so much danger - few accidents happen... Yet so much incredible FUD - enough for hip boots to be needed.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

hmmm . . . sounds to me like "construction machinery" was the one that was dangerous
Construction machinery isn't dangerous. Idiots operating said machine are dangerous.

Mike

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to disconnected

MVM

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. Gas mains threaten entire townships (just look at what happened to that condo complex in NJ--500 units destroyed when a 36" main was severed by construction machinery).. it's too dangerous.
Yeah, because electricity has never been known to cause fires, damage, explosions, or destruction of any magnitude.

keyboard5684
Sam
join:2001-08-01
Pittsburgh, PA

keyboard5684 to disconnected

to disconnected
"Gas main threaten entire townships"??? What about those huge electric lines hanging EVERYWHERE?

Natural gas is more of a byproduct of oil production. It used to be just burned off because nobody could do anything with it. Now it is piped into gas plants which strip out the propane for resale and then pipe the rest to homes and businesses. This gas then provides energy for a lot of people when before it was just burned off.

Around here both gas and electric are buried... along with everything else. I have never been in an area where there was a gas problem... I just heard it on the news (a great producer of fear by advertising the 1 in a million chances). I have however witnesses the severe damage caused by power lines falling or transformers exploding (once by a squirrel climbing across the different links). Safety wise, gas is as safe as electric. It is more likely you will be electrocuted than hurt by natural gas.

As far as the original question... I prefer gas. It does provide a better cooking experience. Instant on/off and more control over the amount of heat and its distribution. Hot water heats quicker with gas and the central heat system is far better than an electric coil.

I own a house with gas heat, cooking and hot water. I own another house with all electric. (They built the subdivision with all electric for ease? Don't know why).

So maybe it is all personal preference. I do believe a gas water heater last longer because/and heats up faster.

My two home comparison... gas is cheaper to heat with, run hot water, and cook with. I have two different bills with comparable space - same age appliances - all comparable and I say gas.

Safety wise, comparing the two is like comparing motorcylce and ATV riding... both can hurt you

sneskid
join:2008-01-10
Arlington, VA

sneskid

said by keyboard5684:

"Gas main threaten entire townships"??? What about those huge electric lines hanging EVERYWHERE?

Exactly my point, as well. I hear of electric fires way more often than anything. That said, both are dangerous, if you don't know what you're doing...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen, and doesn't heat the pot handles to scorching temps like gas burners do. Electric all the way. Ban gas!
Electricity kills too. Countless people are electrocuted every year. Ban electricity. Ban gas. Ban all things that have potential to kill. BAN BAN BAN. Our government needs to interfere even more!

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to KrK

Anon

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by disconnected :

Same here. Gas is dangerous. It's only because of corporate monopolies that this 'controlled explosive' is allowed for residential use. It should have never been allowed. Countless millions in property destruction all result from gas explosions every year. (snip)
I prefer a ceramic flat cooktop, electric. Doesn't heat the rest of the kitchen,
Oh well. BTW that heat the electric makes, where does it go, since it's not heating the kitchen?
In the case of the ceramic flat cooktops, directly into the pot bottom. Ceramic is far superior to the coiled heating elements we had in our prior kitchen setup as the pot completely covers the burner and very little stray heat escapes to the sides.
I have a gas burner outside as part of my gas grill on the porch. I sometimes use it to heat water for spaghetti and the first time I did so, the pot handles were scorching hot. THe flames just heat everywhere around the pot, not just the pot. So practically speaking, it's also inconvenient.
I like ceramic. Once cooled down, it's easy to keep clean with citrus cleaner and paper towels. Often I can clean the cooktop with Windex and paper towels, when there's no stubborn burnt on spills. Cleaning around coil burners or gas burners is a major overhaul.
disconnected

disconnected to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Zero reason to ban gas or else you would also need to ban the internal combustion engine or anything else flammable - nail polish, alcohol etc.... They would also have to ban those newly built gas fired electric plans that don't seem to have problems with explosions.

For so much danger - few accidents happen... Yet so much incredible FUD - enough for hip boots to be needed.
Gas is okay in an industrial complex away from the general public, as the employees would be made aware of the risks. When a neighbor installs gas or a pipeline comes through the area, it is best to relocate. A major firestorm results when one of these goes up. It happens with alarming frequency.

Gasolene in an auto is not quite the same thing. Propane can fill up a space and cause a huge explosion because you have gas pipelines under pressure. With an auto, even a leak in the tank would be limited to the quantity in the tank, and as long as the vehicle is not in an enclosed space, the risk of explosion is reduced through dissipation of vapors. Nail polish? QUantities are too small, unless you're talking about the factory that makes the stuff.
wierdo
join:2001-02-16
Miami, FL

wierdo to disconnected

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

THe flames just heat everywhere around the pot, not just the pot. So practically speaking, it's also inconvenient.
I like ceramic. Once cooled down, it's easy to keep clean with citrus cleaner and paper towels. Often I can clean the cooktop with Windex and paper towels, when there's no stubborn burnt on spills. Cleaning around coil burners or gas burners is a major overhaul.
Learn how to use a gas stove, bud. If you're overheating the pot handles, you've got the gas up too high for the size pot you're using. It's like putting a small pot on the large electric burner. You're just wasting energy doing that.

Also, "sealed" burners. My stove is super-easy to clean. The only downside is when there's a large amount of spillage it can splash up into the burner and require a quick use of the wire brush. It takes all of 20 seconds. 100% worth the increase in control and maximum heat output.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to disconnected

MVM

to disconnected
quote:
Gas is okay in an industrial complex away from the general public, as the employees would be made aware of the risks. When a neighbor installs gas or a pipeline comes through the area, it is best to relocate. A major firestorm results when one of these goes up. It happens with alarming frequency.
It is obvious you know nothing about this - no problem with gas - period. No worse than anything else in the house. You apparently think DC should be used for house electric as it is FAR more dangerous than gas for heat and cooking.