BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

Confirmed!! The SB6580 does not require a call into support to be placed into bridge mode. If you have problems let me know. I'll get the guide here updated as well.
bysin6
join:2004-01-03
Maitland, FL

1 edit

bysin6

said by BHNtechXpert:

Confirmed!! The SB6580 does not require a call into support to be placed into bridge mode. If you have problems let me know. I'll get the guide here updated as well.
I just realized this too.. The tech that came and setup the modem, then gave me a user/pass for the modem (»192.168.0.1 user admin pass ******). Once logged in, you disable "NAPT mode" under the Basic tab. And disable "Primary Network" under the Wireless tab. Then restart your modem like 6-7 times. That's it.

Also I didn't have any of the issues weaseled386 had. I don't understand what went wrong there, but the brighthouse tech was at my house no longer then 10 minutes. He basically swapped out the modem and had me sign.

I'm getting 39 mbit download and 4.9 mbit upload. Very pleased.
QubeIt
join:2010-09-20

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Could you point me in the right direction so that I can gain access to the router settings or place this modem into bridge mode? I have called their tech support line 3 times and no one seems to know what to do.

I already did a hard reset on the device and tried the default Motorola user name and password for the SBG6580 (obtained from their site »broadband.motorola.com/c ··· uide.pdf) but that was unsuccesful. My assumption is that BH has reset the Motorola factory defaults to their own.

One of the technicians I spoke to told me to do a hard reset on the device and that "factory default" user name was admin, while the password he gave me was the same exact password for my wireless SSID security. Well, that didn't work either.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Could you point me in the right direction so that I can gain access to the router settings or place this modem into bridge mode? I have called their tech support line 3 times and no one seems to know what to do.

I already did a hard reset on the device and tried the default Motorola user name and password for the SBG6580 (obtained from their site »broadband.motorola.com/c ··· uide.pdf) but that was unsuccesful. My assumption is that BH has reset the Motorola factory defaults to their own.

One of the technicians I spoke to told me to do a hard reset on the device and that "factory default" user name was admin, while the password he gave me was the same exact password for my wireless SSID security. Well, that didn't work either.
If you have the surfboard d3 modem you can actually do it yourself. You have access to the modem admin console I assume based on your post above.

Login into your modem.

Click on Wireless (Top Menu)

Click on Primary Network

Disable Wireless then click Apply

Click on Basic (Top Menu)

Change NAPT mode to Disabled

Click Apply

The modem will now reboot and should be in bridged mode. If you still have problems holler at me anytime.

Richard R
Kissimmee, FL

Richard R

Well I've been up and running for a while, and I'm pretty happy with everything.

The tech that came out was super nice and apparently had to come down my way all the way from north east orlando, so I thanked him again and again for that. He got everything going and did some testing on my lines and apparently I was +10db over normal acceptable ranges, so he threw a splitter or some other device on there that brought it down to normal range. So he got everything set up and put me into bridged mode because I already have a WRT-54G set up with another Linksys in the living room bridged wirelessly so I can have the components in my entertainment center (tv, western digital tv, htpc/boxee and acer easyStore) hooked up on a wired connection since they all share data between one another and it'll be faster.

So after realizing that my whole network was limited to Wireless-G, he went ahead and unbridged the modem and I got what I could online, did some tests and was running about 17-20mbps through wireless - which was about 4x as fast as before (my "turbo" maxed out around 5mbps) - Then I decided to run to Best Buy to buy a Wireless-N router that would be able to handle the higher throughput.

After getting home and unboxing, setting up and rewiring, I get into this new routers admin area only to find out that I can not bridge it wirelessly with the surfboard modem, there went $160 -- So I gotta go back to BB tomorrow and pick up a Linksys Wireless-N bridge to put in the living room while the new fancy router (Linksys E3000) is going in the office and the Motorola Surfboard modem is going back into bridged mode.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty happy, I did the 3x tests on speedtest.cfl.rr.com and averaged out to about 25mbps download and just under 5mbps upload.. so perhaps there's some traffic in my area or that +10db is more of an issue than I thought. Once I get my new network setup going I'll plugin to the new router and check my speeds, but as for now I'm happy with what I've got and am excited to see what kinda fun stuff I can get into with this blazing fast internet.

Great guide, ispgeek! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. :]
QubeIt

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you have the surfboard d3 modem you can actually do it yourself. You have access to the modem admin console I assume based on your post above.

Login into your modem...
My apologies. I actually don't have access to the admin console through the modem. That's what I've been trying to do through Brighthouse tech support: get the credentials so that I can get access.

If I did have access, I would probably just change the IP Address range since that's all I really want to do anyway. If it was bridged, then that would also solve the problem because I already have my previous router set up the way I need it. Either way, I need the "launch codes" (a.k.a. user name and password) for the modem itself.

Thanks for the response!!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Login into your modem...
My apologies. I actually don't have access to the admin console through the modem. That's what I've been trying to do through Brighthouse tech support: get the credentials so that I can get access.

If I did have access, I would probably just change the IP Address range since that's all I really want to do anyway. If it was bridged, then that would also solve the problem because I already have my previous router set up the way I need it. Either way, I need the "launch codes" (a.k.a. user name and password) for the modem itself.

Thanks for the response!!
If you call them again, make sure you are speaking to your local office and they can give you that information. The National Help Desk can't give it to you however your local office can. Unfortunately I can't help you on that one.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Richard R

Premium Member

to Richard R
said by Richard R:

Well I've been up and running for a while, and I'm pretty happy with everything.

The tech that came out was super nice and apparently had to come down my way all the way from north east orlando, so I thanked him again and again for that. He got everything going and did some testing on my lines and apparently I was +10db over normal acceptable ranges, so he threw a splitter or some other device on there that brought it down to normal range. So he got everything set up and put me into bridged mode because I already have a WRT-54G set up with another Linksys in the living room bridged wirelessly so I can have the components in my entertainment center (tv, western digital tv, htpc/boxee and acer easyStore) hooked up on a wired connection since they all share data between one another and it'll be faster.

So after realizing that my whole network was limited to Wireless-G, he went ahead and unbridged the modem and I got what I could online, did some tests and was running about 17-20mbps through wireless - which was about 4x as fast as before (my "turbo" maxed out around 5mbps) - Then I decided to run to Best Buy to buy a Wireless-N router that would be able to handle the higher throughput.

After getting home and unboxing, setting up and rewiring, I get into this new routers admin area only to find out that I can not bridge it wirelessly with the surfboard modem, there went $160 -- So I gotta go back to BB tomorrow and pick up a Linksys Wireless-N bridge to put in the living room while the new fancy router (Linksys E3000) is going in the office and the Motorola Surfboard modem is going back into bridged mode.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty happy, I did the 3x tests on speedtest.cfl.rr.com and averaged out to about 25mbps download and just under 5mbps upload.. so perhaps there's some traffic in my area or that +10db is more of an issue than I thought. Once I get my new network setup going I'll plugin to the new router and check my speeds, but as for now I'm happy with what I've got and am excited to see what kinda fun stuff I can get into with this blazing fast internet.

Great guide, ispgeek! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. :]
Glad to hear it!! Now remember don't test your speeds wirelessly to see if you are getting your proper 40/5. Always do that on a wired connection. Now with your PC directly connected to the modem you should see 38-40 down and 4.88 up. If you are only seeing 25mbps hard wired to the modem then you probably have whats known as a 10/100 ethernet adapter in your pc and that needs to change to a gigabit lan adapter. That will solve that problem unless there is a signal issue and I doubt that given what you've told me so far. Let me know if ya need help.
QubeIt

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you call them again, make sure you are speaking to your local office and they can give you that information. The National Help Desk can't give it to you however your local office can. Unfortunately I can't help you on that one.
Finally got someone that knew where to look to gain access to the Motorola modem. He gave me the user name and password and all is right with the world now.

Thanks again!!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Finally got someone that knew where to look to gain access to the Motorola modem. He gave me the user name and password and all is right with the world now.

Thanks again!!
Anytime!

Richard R
Kissimmee, FL

Richard R

Well unfortunately I've been having quite a few issues with this modem using it as a wireless router. I am hoping that when I buy the Wireless-N Bridge that this will go away.

The issues I am having are my internet randomly dropping (my network card shows I'm still connected wirelessly, but there's no internet active) so I'll do a hard reset on the modem and the wireless is turned off by default? I've had to re-enable my wireless multiple times.

This morning after waking up I noticed that my wireless has disappeared again, so I plug directly into the modem and see that on the "Basic Network" tab the wireless is actually disabled? Something is causing it to do it on its own because I'm definitely not changing anything.

Anyone else having similar issues? The modem just seems to be very unstable.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
What exactly would a gigabit lan card do for anyone that a 10/100 card cant do? i mean really the service that BHN is providing is not even half of the maximum throughput of a 10/100 ethernet card. This is pure FUD dude! Even if someone put a gigabit card in their machine, does the supplied modem have a gigabit port on it? Or is the rest of the users network gigabit? If not that new gigabit card is worthless!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

What exactly would a gigabit lan card do for anyone that a 10/100 card cant do? i mean really the service that BHN is providing is not even half of the maximum throughput of a 10/100 ethernet card. This is pure FUD dude! Even if someone put a gigabit card in their machine, does the supplied modem have a gigabit port on it? Or is the rest of the users network gigabit? If not that new gigabit card is worthless!
With all due respect I've found that MANY supposedly 10/100 adapters failed to perform anywhere near their specifications topping out right at about 26mbps when used with Lightning. Change to a gigabit adapter and the problem goes away. This isn't something I pulled out of the southern end of a northbound horse..this is reality.

You certainly don't have to follow the advice. Nobody is forcing you to. Not all 10/100 adapters will exhibit the problem but a significant number have so the advice is warranted and based experience driven fact.

And you had your Lightning installed when?
Pravus
join:2006-02-24
Lake Mary, FL

Pravus to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I am locked out of disabling the wireless. It wont letme.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Pravus:

I am locked out of disabling the wireless. It wont letme.
Which modem do you have?
Pravus
join:2006-02-24
Lake Mary, FL

Pravus

It is the SBG6580 but nevermind, it just started working. No good reason my router pulled a public ip. Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Pravus:

It is the SBG6580 but nevermind, it just started working. No good reason my router pulled a public ip. Thanks.
:) It does take a full reboot of the modem before it works.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I didnt mention in my post that I did or didnt have Lightning installed so not sure where your going with that. I was just pointing out that any 10/100 ethernet card is more than capable of handling the bandwidth provided from Lightning service. If theres a case where this isnt true im willing to bet that its either a software issue, crappy driver, or a computer that is either old or has its resources taxed. I have a crappy intellinet 10/100 network card in an old P4 system, payed $10.00 for it, and it has no problem handling speeds much greater than the Lightning service is providing. Dont get me wrong im not trying to pick a fight here, just pointing out that getting a gigabit card is quite silly unless the rest of the network is gigabit.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

I didnt mention in my post that I did or didnt have Lightning installed so not sure where your going with that. I was just pointing out that any 10/100 ethernet card is more than capable of handling the bandwidth provided from Lightning service. If theres a case where this isnt true im willing to bet that its either a software issue, crappy driver, or a computer that is either old or has its resources taxed. I have a crappy intellinet 10/100 network card in an old P4 system, payed $10.00 for it, and it has no problem handling speeds much greater than the Lightning service is providing. Dont get me wrong im not trying to pick a fight here, just pointing out that getting a gigabit card is quite silly unless the rest of the network is gigabit.
I've stated the reason behind this in previous posts several times so I'm not going to rehash this again. Lets assume for a second you do you have lightning and your 10/100 is exhibiting the problem we've discussed and you've already updated the drivers and checked all the other possibilities (that most people won't do) and it still doesn't work. Are you going to go out and buy another 10/100 when everything is moving towards gigabit OR are you going to go ahead and stay current and buy yourself a gigabit adapter.

The price is pretty much the same for either adapter so logic dictates that a smart person is going to go ahead and buy the gigabit. My goal here is to move people forward...not backward.