uniqs
share rss forum feed

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
kudos:2

Earl arrives Friday/Saturday to spend Labor Day with us!

How do you think we find Earl's visit will effect you and what plans are you making in advance of the Friday's hit?
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1

I work 8 feet above mean high water.
I've spooked most people away, I'll kick the rest out to a shelter when the cops swing by probably Friday night. Grab the computer and go home for of couple days.
Hurricane flags are being assembled now.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to HFB1217

It's not supposed to be too bad in the Boston area, but I'm planning to bring in the deck furniture this evening, and the spouse and I need to make sure we're prepared in case the electricity goes out. The power in our neighborhood isn't as reliable as it should be even in good weather. Also, I've advised my husband not to ride his bike to work tomorrow, as the ride back could be a problem.

I have to admit, I rather enjoy wild weather....
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

1 edit
reply to HFB1217

It is our first time having to even think about hurricane season. Stupid me didn't even think they got hurricanes up here.

I too love wild weather, but one thing that I have always wanted to avoid is doing major clean up after storms, but thankfully I have been told that even though we are close to water, that it really hasn't gotten too bad here....so I have been told.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

Most tracks put the storm to the East of the Cape so not much of a storm surge. One track goes right over work then my front yard which would suck. Boarding up windows @ work, putting away chairs and umbrellas, scaring away guests, etc.
At home, Chain saw is ready, I'll flip over picnic table and bring some plants into the garage. I have a feeling I'll get some firewood out of this storm. Power WILL go out for a time. I also predict bees.

Tonight: "The Clam Before the Storm Party" at the seafood place down the street from work. Pretty much everybody that works around there is attending. I have a half dozen clams and drinks reserved. Might not make it home.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

1 edit
reply to ebgbjo

It is a rare event to have a hurricane come up to meet us. In fact, the last hurricane to hit New England was Hurricane Bob in 1991, which was a category 2 storm. In 1997, we had brushes with Edouard and Fran, but I believe both were just strong Tropical Storms.

I had friends visiting on a cross-country roadtrip from Portland, OR at the time, and they insisted on driving up the Cape to P'town during Edouard. We fought crosswinds on US-6 going up that way but stayed well on the road, and then we watched seagulls in nearly suspended animation as they tried to fly into the headwinds. By the time we got back down to West Yarmouth, the winds had died down, and we had dinner at a resto there. (I wonder if Mama Angie's is still on 28?)

My friends then continued their southern trek from the Boston area to Washington, DC the next day and got half their film washed out by an encounter with Fran. :O
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA

said by Frostbite:

It is a rare event to have a hurricane come up to meet us. In fact, the last hurricane to hit New England was Hurricane Bob in 1991, which was a category 2 storm. In 1997, we had brushes with Edouard and Fran, but I believe both were just strong Tropical Storms.

I had friends visiting on a cross-country roadtrip from Portland, OR at the time, and they insisted on driving up the Cape to P'town during Edouard. We fought crosswinds on US-6 going up that way but stayed well on the road, and then we watched seagulls in nearly suspended animation as they tried to fly into the headwinds. By the time we got back down to West Yarmouth, the winds had died down, and we had dinner at a restaurant there. (I wonder if Mama Angie's is still on 28?)
Nothing personal, but stay home. Traffic is going to be a bitch... Mama Angie's is a Mexican place now.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

I've got 12 rooms occupied, and changed them all to be close to the lobby. Tonight is a Hurricane Party; tomorrow is the real "fun". NO Vacancy sign is lit. Please don't bother us for a couple days with vacation. We have to take care of work AND home...

Predictions show a wide hurricane force wind hitting the Cape on Saturday night. YAAAAAYYYYY!

I predict some power out and I cut firewood.

Reporting from the Tricep of Cape Cod, I'm capecoddah.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to capecoddah

Oh, I have no intention of doing anything like that ever again! That was practically a once in a lifetime opportunity. Had they not insisted, I wouldn't have even thought of such a thing.

On the topic, I remember we did stop at the CCM on the way up the Cape, and we had lunch in the food court. Every couple of minutes, the power to the entire food court would blink off for about 15 seconds and then come back on.

Sorry to hear that a good Italian place turned Mexican. Not that I dislike a good fajita, but MA was one of my favorites when I would spend a weekend in W. Yarmouth.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

OK in my slice of Hell.
Now.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to capecoddah

12 rooms occupied? You run a hotel? Where at? We will be looking for some in the near feature to stay at as we start expanding our site seeing

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana
reply to capecoddah

said by capecoddah:

Tonight: "The Clam Before the Storm Party" at the seafood place down the street from work.
I love this! Love the pun, sounds like a blast.

Just clouding up here in Cambridge. I keep hearing about how the storm isn't going to be so bad, which leads me to believe it will be worse than we anticipate. The usual course of action is for the weather reporters to hype the heck out of an oncoming storm, only to have it fizzle to a drizzle when it arrives.

Our deck furniture is in, as well as our lawn flamingos. We're ready.
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Caledfwlch10

join:2010-05-03

said by MsTerra:

as well as our lawn flamingos.
No comment about those. :P

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana

We think they give the place a little touch of class. Also, they complement the space alien lawn ornament. We didn't bring him in because we figure he's heavy enough to weather the storm. His name is Barry. The flamingos don't have names.
--

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

OK, update:
We're fucking zombies. Hung-over, pissed off zombies in some Monty Python sketch. The Brits are saying "I don't really see what all the fuss is about" and we're all affecting accents and making fun of the two Canadian couples. My Russian "kids" have some secret stash of liquor.

Let's get this party started! I have a few rooms I want demolished. No, that would be too easy, the fucking early rain is going to hit the back of the lobby. Mop and bucket patrol.

The public beaches are closed, so everyone IS TRESPASSING and I put on shorts to cover my orange GUARD shorts. I hear every other beach front is having the same fun. Go swimming and drown! The Department of Natural Resources actually stopped by to tell me to clear the beaches. "My guests are too fucking drunk or hungover to swim. Lemme borrow a gun to clear the beach!" That went over well...

First time on O/T all summer! The Happy stopped long ago!
I think the worst of this brou-ha-ha is my garden will be dead when I get home.
I hope the cats at the last place I worked are being taken care of. Can't keep a feral cat for shit here. They all get homes.

Reporting live from Cape Cod, I'm (you guessed it) capecoddah

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to HFB1217

They let us out of work at 3PM (more out of pity than anything else since only three people bothered staying past noon or coming in at all) so I thought I could go to the bank on my way home since it wasn't raining yet. Naturally, during the 4 minutes I was at the ATM, it started pouring...
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to MsTerra

said by MsTerra:

The flamingos don't have names.
Name one of them Pinky.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana
reply to Sarah

Really? It's only rained a little in Kendall Square so far.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Cambridge, MA

Just a brief downpour, as it turned out.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to HFB1217

Hey guys. CT boy here thinking about you all. I live down in TN but I am praying you guys get through this without losing power and with no damage. I see it is a Cat 1 right now. That is good I supposed, although even less would be better.

In Western CT they are praying for rain from this, so send the storms that way!

Go Sox!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Fight cancer and disease, it's easy, you can get help, and you'll make a difference! »Team Helix »Team Discovery Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to HFB1217

Pffftt.

All the hype (along Maine anyway) PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE. And what do we get? NO WIND from it, just a little rain.

This is why I laugh and never believe a forecast for major storms. Winter or otherwise.....

"Tropical storm warnings, winds expected at over 45 mph...." The leaves are barley even moving. I've seen common thunder storms worse then this is going to be.

"Blizzard warning! 12-14 inches of snow with 35 mph winds!" Pfft... 4 inches later storm is gone."

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

Final update:
That's it? I wasn't expecting epic storm, but I wanted something more intense. It watered the lawn. We had a better friggin storm last week! I'm going to sneak out and pull down the hurricane flags and dry them soon. Where? the vacated laundry room on the machine I put up on boards to keep dry in the flood.
OOOOOOHHH!!! Look out for flying boredom! I fell asleep in the comfy chair in the lobby! I've been running around like a nut-case for three days and this is all I get...

Hurricane Charlie Brown. Drat!
Hurricane Red Sox. Next Year!
Hurricane I Wasted a Case of Wine! (Whine) lol

On the positive side: Great party last night (which was actually epic) (so epic it would get a lot of people fired in a standard time) (my Russians can out-drink your Russians!). I got a good drill in emergency management. I'm 3-11 Weekend Boss again (field promotion and raise)

Now I have to put the place back together again.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to HFB1217

I know.. all this hype for a wee little bit of rain... they closed the local beaches for this?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to HFB1217

How many inches of rain you guys get? Did you see 70MPH winds? Sound like you didn't even really get stormed on... Good news IMHO.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Cambridge, MA
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to HFB1217

According to local weather stations we got a whopping third of an inch of rain... and for that we were under a flash flood warning!
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

I'm actually upset...
I was ready for the fall of Western Civilization and I got some rain.

I'm happy for the gahdin, but I was looking for some firewood too. not a twig out of place when I got home.

WTF

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Sarah

said by Sarah:

According to local weather stations we got a whopping third of an inch of rain... and for that we were under a flash flood warning!
We didn't even get that, when we were expecting 2-4 inches! Wind? What wind????

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to HFB1217

2 page advertising spread in today's paper:
"For all your Hurricane Earl clean up needs".

Oh well, off to the beach.

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04
reply to HFB1217

I moved up to the NE area 3 years ago from Florida. People don't really understand hurricanes up here it seems. The last hurricane that was projected to direct strike the Tampa area changed directions like 2 hours before it was projected to hit. Everyone I knew left to Orlando to get out of the way. Guess where the hurricane hit? Orlando! Now they spend money and time to get out only to end up in a hotel with no power, flooding, and no way to get home until they cleaned up the highways. It'd best not to panic and just act like normal for hurricanes. I lived in Florida for about 25 years and only got hit by 1 bad hurricane. The odds of getting hit by a hurricane aren't that high.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to HFB1217

Was anyone "blown away" by this storm?