how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

beeson76

join:2009-11-16
Pacific, MO

Best modem for Uverse Internet

I am getting very soon Uverse Internet. It will be either Max Turbo or Max Plus. I can get both. Just wondering what the best modem is to buy because I kinda like owning my own equipment. Or is the modem provided by these services superior to any I can buy. If that is the case, I may just get it from AT&T. Thanks for any replies.

oneirodyne

join:2004-09-03
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit

With Uverse the modem (called an "RG" for router-gateway) has to be supplied by AT&T. The authentication to the Uverse network is managed by Radius certificates which are installed on the modem they supply.

I'm quite sure you cannot just buy a replacement modem device. Maybe someone could develop a method of capturing these Radius certs as they fly back and forth between the RG and VRAD and then install them on their own hardware - a hacked Linksys router or something. But that's way beyond me.

beeson76

Pacific, MO

Thanks for the reply oneirodyne. So it appears I need to stick with the AT&T modem. That must be the 3.00 dollar charge per month that they say needs to be added. Thanks again.

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

said by beeson76:

Thanks for the reply oneirodyne. So it appears I need to stick with the AT&T modem. That must be the 3.00 dollar charge per month that they say needs to be added. Thanks again.
Wow they are charging $3 to "rent" an RG now. When is AT&T going to get it in there head that people hate these fees.

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
kudos:1
reply to oneirodyne

said by oneirodyne:

(called an "RG" for router-gateway)
Make that residential gateway

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to beeson76

For U-verse VDSL there are only two compatible modems. The 3800HGV and the 3600HGV. The 3800HGV includes HomePNA capabilities, for those of you with U-verse TV. The 3600HGV has recently been used for those who are on Internet-only. It is virtually identical to the 3800HGV minus the HomePNA.

I hear nowadays AT&T charges a $3 fee for Internet-only users, and (I think) there is no charge for the RG if you subscribe to U-verse TV.

There is also from what I hear a $149 installation fee for those who want Internet-only (outrageous in my opinion.) However, I believe you can get around that by ordering U-verse TV as well.

I believe you could order U-verse TV for 1 TV, have them hook it up via Ethernet if available, if not, get them to not touch your current TV hookups. "Try out" the U-verse TV portion, and cancel the TV portion within the first 30 days for no fees. Then simply return the STB, keep the Internet portion. I am not sure how well this works, and I also hear they are pushing 1-year contracts on folks as well.

As for me, I tried out U-verse TV, found it wasn't for me after about 6-7 months, canceled U-verse TV, kept the Internet portion, and use the 3800GHV with no monthly fee. I am not sure if this is due to different policies that AT&T had when I signed up, or just the fact that I tried the TV portion, negated the fee for me.

beeson76

Pacific, MO
reply to beeson76

Thanks for the replies. So if I would buy one of these, say of ebay, would I still pay the 3 dollars a month. Guess I am trying to ask, would it work, or would they need a certain mac address for my account. Also, I read that you can connect 2 of these modems up together a certain way. What is the benefit of doing that? Is is just more ports for a home network?

WhyMe420
Premium
reply to beeson76

As far as I am aware, all RGs are property of AT&T, and anything you see on ebay is considered stolen property.

On top of that, they won't work.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

said by WhyMe420:

As far as I am aware, all RGs are property of AT&T, and anything you see on ebay is considered stolen property.

On top of that, they won't work.
Exactly. A WTB in the For Sale Forum was locked because of this

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to beeson76

its not right that you can't own your own equipment with U-Verse, but that doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Mad Mac

join:2003-03-10
Moorpark, CA

1 edit
reply to beeson76

The way I've had it "officially" explained to me:

TV + internet customers - $3/month rental fee, RG remains AT&T property.

Internet-only customers - For speeds up to 12Mbps (self-install unless you choose otherwise), includes a one-off charge ($100) for outright purchase of the "modem" and no rental. When/if you terminate service, it's yours to do with as you please. Higher speeds charge the $3/month rental fee and do not offer a self-install option.

Charges are as shown on AT&T's ordering website as of now for my address. As the saying goes, YMMV.

WhyMe420
Premium

Oh really? Even a fee for TV customers? I guess I got lucky that I signed up when I did, as I didn't have the fee as a TV customer, nor do I have the fee as a now Internet-only customer.

Mad Mac

join:2003-03-10
Moorpark, CA

Just to clarify, the $3 shows up for any TV and internet combination.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The 3600 Modem is out there now for Internet Only customers, and the 3600 is bought by the customer, as opposed to rented (the 3800 is rented)

Do not know if AT&T is letting existing internet-only customers buy a 3600 in place of the 3800 or not though

WhyMe420
Premium

3 edits
reply to beeson76

Definitely don't see the 3600 at the AT&T store.

Don't see anything on ebay either, didn't look very hard though, guess they'll show up.

Since they are $100 though, heh it would take around 3.75, nearly 4 years to make up the investment and see benefits from saving the $3 a month :P .

EDIT: ILPt4U, edited my post , you sure are quick :P .

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by WhyMe420:

I believe what I have read is that the 3600 is around $100.

Not sure how one goes about acquiring one though.
Well, since the devices are sold to the customer directly, the things will start showing up on eBay/Craigslist one of these days

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to WhyMe420

said by WhyMe420:

Since they are $100 though, heh it would take around 3.75, nearly 4 years to make up the investment and see benefits from saving the $3 a month :P .
That is assuming the 3600 stays at $100, and that the 3800 rental fee stays at $3/month

I see a future where the modem will cost less upfront to buy, and the rental fee increases

WhyMe420
Premium

said by ILpt4U:

said by WhyMe420:

That is assuming the 3600 stays at $100, and that the 3800 rental fee stays at $3/month

I see a future where the modem will cost less upfront to buy, and the rental fee increases
It's possible, but yeah I am talking about current rates, surely AT&T wouldn't raise the fees THAT high, then again this is AT&T we're talking about. Oh well, it's up to the OP as to what he wishes to do. Since he's getting U-verse "very soon" I think it's fairly safe to assume the 3600 won't go down in price by the time he gets the service.

One thing I will note, is that as I previously mentioned, I am not paying a fee at all for my 3800, so, I guess it's a different scenario, but I'm assuming maybe AT&T doesn't raise the fee from what you started out with (in my case no fee at all,) however, again, this is AT&T we're talking about, so your guess is as good as mine.

OP should just roll the dice .

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to beeson76

I was fortunate to get my internet only server (and voice since then) before they were charging the $3 / mo for the receiver. I have the 3800.
--
TKJunkMail aliases - MIllIlITER, MMH, Golf N Sun