Minocqua, WI
Hitron EN2251
Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien

2 edits

Defiance

Premium Member

AT&T 3G now in Branson, MO

Click for full size
As of August 31st 2010 Branson, MO now has 3G services! I'm typing on my iPhone 4 right now . Initial speed tests show around 4mb down and 1.2 mb up. This has been a long waited and overdue upgrade!!
Defiance

Defiance

Premium Member

It''s also in Branson West, Mo as well. Just took a drive there.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Defiance

Premium Member

to Defiance
I guess they fixed that upload problem finally. That's good to hear as least.

Not to fond of the ping though... yeeaaaaaaaaccck!

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI
Hitron EN2251
Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien

Defiance

Premium Member

said by David:

Yea phone pings will always be high I think

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by Defiance:
said by David:

Yea phone pings will always be high I think
Yea they are going to be that way for a while. If they thing 4g or LTE is going to fix that problem I think it will cut it down, but I don't think it's going to be to the point that anyone will game seriously over it.

I see wired connections (even the slowest, and lowest latent) DSL winning in that arena. I had a guy that won't give up his 384/384 connection, only because the ping is 16ms to his WoW server he plays on.

I told him "don't you think you would be better with a fast connection?"

He replies, "the only other connection available is _______. Frankly the best ping time they can get me is 75ms most times it's well over 150ms. Your DSL even though it is the slowest, is the least latent to that server. The highest it ever got to me was 85ms and apparently WoW was having a DDoS attack at the time. Trust me I am doing fine!" I didn't buy the 384/384 dry circuit for speed, I bought it for the low latency. it makes my ooma calls just fine, and games well as well. For the high downloads I have the cell phone tethering for that. If I am in game I have my cell phone for the phone calls. "

Part of me also thinks as people cut the pots line, the company may just put a bunch of t1 circuits bonded and make some larger pipes (25mbps, 50mbps,etc..) and backhaul it to a local C.O. and go that route. Throw up a wireless tower and service as many customers as you can, in creating a mesh network. Makes sense if you think about it.