share rss forum feed

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI
reply to tempnexus

Re: Liquid Drain openers

For those that need a prepackaged version...

»unitednuclear.com/index.php?main···s_id=208

Because Thermite can be a fickle bastard »unitednuclear.com/index.php?main···s_id=209

They also have magnesium strips and ribbons if you want to go old school.
--
Please visit »libertynewstv.com -|- »innworldreport.net -|- »freespeech.org -|- »sourcecode.freespeech.org -|- »indymedia.org -|- »democracynow.org

kludge

join:2003-01-04
Plano, TX
reply to dvd536

I just tried the Zip-It tool on a tub that was barely draining. It works!

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

said by Parogadi:

(youtube clip)
That's nothing. I pulled a clump of hair the size of a dead ferret out of our shower drain. I used a big screwdriver to pull up the end and grabbed it with paper towels. It smelled like a dead ferret, too.
Drainer cleaner is a joke. Goto HD and get the 15 foot snake for $18 or so. Take 15 minutes, or more, depending how many cats worth of hair in the shower drain, and you'll fix the problem. It took me 6 round of putting in the snake, spining it, pulling it out, removing the hair from the snake (use gloves), then repeat. I had a 1 quart milk bottle of hair at the end. The drain hasn't been cleaned in atleast 40 years. Liquid drain cleaner barely worked, there still was a pool of water at the bottom of the tub. $18 at HD and 1 hour did more results than 6 drainer cleaner trys over 2 years.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to scross

said by scross:

FYI, adding a little dish soap to that hot water (or even just to the standing water itself, if it's something like a toilet clog) will supposedly help clear things up much faster.
This is what finally did it for me. boiling water with a quarter cup of dawn dishwashing liquid[the concentrated stuff, not the watered down crap]
anyone thats washed dishes with dawn not using gloves knows the power of dawn on grease/muck.
it was acting like a venting issue but no longer does the toilet bubble when I run the sink so i think i'm good.
-Thanks everyone!
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tempnexus

said by tempnexus:

If you have PVC pipes then those chemicals should be safe (they come in Plastic bottle after all) if you have metal pipes then I would worry.

Best way to clean it is to add:
Aluminum, Iron (iii) oxide plus some magnesium then light it. The resulting Alumothermic reaction will clear the pipe along with most of the house. Guaranteed to bust through any clog, of course your insurance might disagree (especially if you have a septic tank and combine that with the methane).

P.S.
DO NOT TRY THAT! It's thermite. The shit goes through tanks like alien blood through Nostromo.
yeah i remember what happened last time i tried with thermite. it was a blazing success.
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by scross:

FYI, adding a little dish soap to that hot water (or even just to the standing water itself, if it's something like a toilet clog) will supposedly help clear things up much faster.
This is what finally did it for me. boiling water with a quarter cup of dawn dishwashing liquid[the concentrated stuff, not the watered down crap]
anyone thats washed dishes with dawn not using gloves knows the power of dawn on grease/muck.
it was acting like a venting issue but no longer does the toilet bubble when I run the sink so i think i'm good.
-Thanks everyone!
I was always told NOT to use boiling water in the toilet. Something that it could crack it or melt the wax ring.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Or thermal crack the porcelain, as is what happened to my aunt who tried this some years ago... It was winter and the split happened right at the waterline in the bowl.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

said by dvd536:

said by scross:

-Thanks everyone!
I was always told NOT to use boiling water in the toilet. Something that it could crack it or melt the wax ring.
I didn't put it in the toilet. I did it in the tub.
--

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO
reply to dvd536

Our house is about 27 years old and on city sewer. Our kitchen drain is poorly designed and has such a long run to the main that it can get a little clogged up every six or so months and start to smell.

Normally about once per month I use Zep enzymed-based drain cleaner from Home Depot for maintenance. About every 3-6 months I use this: »www.drano.com/slow-drain/ Drano Dual Force Foam.

I have found the Drano product gets really good reviews and I use it in all my drains once a year for maintenance. I have been very happy with the results when using it.

Hope that helps.
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by evilpeppard:

Normally about once per month I use Zep enzymed-based drain cleaner from Home Depot for maintenance.
Try using it once a week or once every two weeks and you shouldn't need the Drano anymore.

jfd15

join:2008-01-07
West Sacramento, CA

2 edits
reply to dvd536

here is a link to a 3 page PDF of a Nov 2006 article by Consumer Reports:

blogs.consumerreports.org/files/consumer-reports-drain-cleaners.pdf

or you can find the link thru google by searching on: zep enzyme drain cleaner...its the last result on the first page....

CR claims something called called Citra-Drain is better than ZEP and is cheaper, too ($5 vs. $9).....and they also test and rank 15 diff chemical and 9 diff mechanical drain cleaners...

and CR thinks (and recs) that pouring boiling hot water directly down the drain is safe as long as you avoid contact with any porcelain in a sink....

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by evilpeppard:

Normally about once per month I use Zep enzymed-based drain cleaner from Home Depot for maintenance.
Try using it once a week or once every two weeks and you shouldn't need the Drano anymore.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion.
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."