join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

Voip.MS and Vitelity

Analog Magazine (science/sciencefiction) conducts an annual poll called The Analytical Laboratory.

We had an opportunity to have a bit of this here today as well.

Voip.MS and Vitelity both had significant outages this morning.

Now, consider:

Voip.MS is very frequently discussed here, and there are lots of reviews posted on the "GBU".

By contrast, Vitelity is almost never discussed here, and there are so few reviews that it does not even have a listing on the "GBU".

That's why I am very surprised by what happened today! It was the total OPPOSITE.

The post about Voip.MS has 5 replies and 159 unique views.
»[Other] VOIP.ms service down at the moment

The post about Vitelity has 59 replies and 1446 unique views.
»Vitelity completely down?

------------------------------------------------------

This is not a scientific poll. Nevertheless, I am astounded that the Vitelity issue generated about 10-fold more interest than the Voip.MS issue.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

My guess is the reason is that VoIP.ms did not have a systemwide outage. If they did, (and I certainly hope that doesn't happen) no doubt the thread would be even longer than the Vitelity one.

Obviously, VoIP.ms gets DIDs from a variety of sources. For example, my DIDs from Allstream were working just fine.

m.
--
Recommended ATA Settings | e164 - make your DID accessible via SIPBroker! | Tips for Reliable Internet Faxing

alpovs

join:2009-08-08

1 recommendation

reply to PX Eliezer7

That's because voip.ms outage didn't affect all of their clients. They mention some "US carrier". Things were certainly normal on my side this morning.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Point taken, for the Voip.MS gremlin, although I would have expected even non-affected customers to click (view) on such a headline.

---------------------------------------------------------

But for VITELITY, if there are so many people interested, how come there are only 3 reviews posted for it over the last 365 days?!

»User reviews - Vitelity VOIP

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
Cape Coral, FL

CWU is not on gbu also The stable a provider works, the lesser reviews. No magic.
--
»www.callwithus.com

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by sokhapkin:

CWU is not on gbu also The stable a provider works, the lesser reviews. No magic.
---------------------------------------------------------

Here is a post of mine from 09/29/2008, which some people may find amusing:

said by PX Eliezer7:

VOIP.MS, CallWithUs, Callcentric: On the GBU list

Nice to see VOIP.MS on the GBU list for the first time!

Good to see CallWithUs return after an absence. It's back because enough people posted or updated their ratings.

And Callcentric, which had been missing for a while, has been back lately, again as people post/update ratings.

Congratulations to all.
»VOIP.MS, CallWithUs, Callcentric: On the GBU list

sokhapkin
Premium
Cape Coral, FL

2 edits

No magic. People are not influenced to post or update a review if everything is OK. But if something goes wrong, then angry people are here...

Edit: I expect to see Vitelity on gbu next week again, with a low rating. Unfortunately gbu rating is very far from a provider's value.

--
»www.callwithus.com

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I know at least a few who are quite "influenced". Even if they're not actually using one's service... they come regularly and leave their "featured" creations on streets just to show that they're still around and to make sure their sh*t is still afloat on top. IM very HO.

sokhapkin
Premium
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

I got yua

MartyT

join:2004-09-03
Georgetown, SC
reply to PX Eliezer7

Just glad I'm not seeing Future-Nine having problems at the same time. I'm spread out between them for my critical DID, and Vitelity, VOIP.MS, Whistlephone and Google Voice for outgoing. Since I'm a simple one line business (computer repair) I don't have demanding needs, so I don't invest in redundancy with the local telco.

Soybomb

join:2002-07-15
Carbondale, IL

1 recommendation

reply to PX Eliezer7

I think there's several issues to take into account. Does vitelity actually have a larger customer base? Are voip.ms customers more tech savvy and therefor more understanding of the nature of voip and outages? Are vitelity customers more tech savvy and expectant of a more in depth explanation of outages?

Personally I expect voip to be less reliable than pots. Not by much though. I'm also an IT professional and want any of my providers to give me the full story on any outage. One of the reasons I do my webhosting with pair.com is that they are up front on outages. I appreciate that my provider isn't afraid to document an outage that lasted less than 5 minutes.

Today I'm also a voip.ms customer. I didn't notice any service disruption. When I log into my account there is one listed. I like that.