spc
Search similar:

uniqs

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz

Is WD-40 toxic to humans?

Some guy told me it's okay to use WD-40 on equipment used to make apple juice, because he said it is 'food grade.'

Another guy told me he worked on oil rigs, and they were told WD-40 is very toxic. Extremely toxic.

So does anyone know? I can't find any answer on the internet.

HardWired
join:2009-11-18
Ottawa, ON

HardWired

The skull and cross-bone symbol on the can isn't there because they like pirates!

From the can....
"If swallowed, call physician or poison control centre immediately"

Use Peanut Oil, or Olive Oil if you have p-nut allergy.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 edits

FFH5 to yoyomhz

Premium Member

to yoyomhz
»www.wd40.com/files/pdf/m ··· 6385.pdf
»www.wd40.co.uk/media/ado ··· MSDS.pdf
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD ··· mulation

Given what is in it, I would avoid using it on surfaces that come into contact with food. But I don't think using it on the parts of food processing equipment that doesn't come in to direct contact with the food itself should be a problem.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
Work in a food processing facility and WD-40 isn't used anywhere where it could come into contact with raw ingredients or product.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav to yoyomhz

Premium Member

to yoyomhz
Go to school and retake chemistry and common sense.

»www.wd40company.com/file ··· 2569.pdf

The long term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus get into crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture.

Tin Man
@mc.videotron.ca

Tin Man to yoyomhz

Anon

to yoyomhz
Remind me not to buy apple juice again...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to yoyomhz

Premium Member

to yoyomhz
"Some guy" is an idiot.
Much of WD-40 is a petroleum based solvent called Stoddard solvent which is NOT intended for human consumption. WD-40 was designed as a water displacement corrosion inhibitor; it is intended to penetrate into cracks and fissures, driving out any moisture which would lead to corrosion. It is not a lubricant!

Read the MSDS:
»www.wd40company.com/part ··· rs/msds/

If you need lubrication you are going to have to find a product that is rated as food grade, mineral oil (provided that it is of food grade quality) is one such product.

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz

Yup,
I now realize the guy who worked on the oil rigs, my cousin, who is not a very honest person, was telling the truth, and the 'some guy' who was in the business of importing and selling equipment, and also went every Sunday to church, was a complete liar. I would never use WD-40 near food products.

When I see that guy, I'll ask him why he lied.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

2 recommendations

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Click for full size
sales process
OT, but let me introduce you to the "sales process".

Why Not
@mc.videotron.ca

Why Not to yoyomhz

Anon

to yoyomhz
Why not ordoer some lubricating silicone polymer from McD instead?
dsanfte
join:2005-03-15
UK

dsanfte to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
He might not be lying, he might just be stupid.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
said by yoyomhz:

Yup,
I now realize the guy who worked on the oil rigs, my cousin, who is not a very honest person, was telling the truth, and the 'some guy' who was in the business of importing and selling equipment, and also went every Sunday to church, was a complete liar. I would never use WD-40 near food products.

When I see that guy, I'll ask him why he lied.
What is the connection here? "Some guy" is a liar. The church connection and his business is irrelevant.
Four Eyes
join:2004-07-01
Canada

Four Eyes to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
Sort of OT but I remember fishing for lake trout on Lake Superior out of Thunder Bay. The guy that took us out sprayed WD40 on the lures. We caught some fish!
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz
I remember in the 1980's some people with arthritis were spraying WD40 on the joints...

If WD40 was deadly or dangerous I most likely be sick or dead by now...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Thane you found the secret contractor manual didnt you!

ndeedy
@mc.videotron.ca

ndeedy to vue666

Anon

to vue666
said by vue666:

I remember in the 1980's some people with arthritis were spraying WD40 on the joints...

They indeed did. Then a few of them dropped.
Then when the people who dropped were wheeled into hospitals by ambulance, nurses and ambulance techs dropped in the hospitals.

The reaction that happened (off-gassing) was in a few science mag's at the time.

I'm not sure if the formula of wd-40 remains the same today (think it changed since then).

But people did dropped. Only a few of them, but it did have a hospital scrambling and a public info campaign telling people not to oil their joints.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig

Premium Member

said by ndeedy :

a public info campaign telling people not to oil their joints.
If this were the case we'd be seeing a rise in serious incidences of blue balls. Is the trade off worth it?
Expand your moderator at work

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to yoyomhz

to yoyomhz

Re: Is WD-40 toxic to humans?

The main ingredient is fish oil. Good for the brain. Mebbe you should spray some on yer head.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

What is the connection here?
There isn't any. It was bait and you were hooked.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to AkFubar

Premium Member

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

The main ingredient is fish oil. Good for the brain. Mebbe you should spray some on yer head.
According to Snopes, not fish oil.
»www.snopes.com/inboxer/h ··· d-40.asp

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:
said by DKS:

What is the connection here?
There isn't any. It was bait and you were hooked.
Not at all. Yoyo is yoyo.
PanOptic
join:2010-08-11

PanOptic to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Hmmm, that seems needless. I find that a light wetting of saliva keeps the joints burning properly.
Well, the current formulation of WD40 is presently "deadly or dangerous", and probably back in the 80's "was deadly or dangerous".

The remainder of your sentence I'll not touch upon (though you're obviously not dead ; )