share rss forum feed

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

FCC & SamKnows

Apparently the FCC is almost ready to begin this program of monitoring and grading ISPs. I got an email today saying that I meet the profile of the person they are looking for and to look for a 2nd email within a few days to do a final verification.

You can read more about this project at »www.testmyisp.com/

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I would not volunteer for this as it involves placing FCC-provided hardware on your network, in essence allowing them to monitor every little packet that comes and goes from your computer.

Call me a "tin foil hat," but it smells like a Big Brother snooping mission, of course presented as an innocent consumer research program.

They already have ways of collecting traffic data. There is no valid need to monitor individual users' connections. If the government is going to spy on me, I guess there's not a lot I can do to stop it....but I'll be damned if I'm going to hold the door open for them!

mocycler

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

I remember something my mother said years ago that always stuck with me -- "You can live in fear, or you can live life".

I prefer to live life.

I think nowadays there are way too many conspiracy theories going around. If the FCC wants to know that I browse the Food Network, keep track of my workouts on Men's Health and like to listen to the new Eminem then they can have at it. I got way too many other things of more importance to worry about.

If this helps the masses (including me) eventually get better broadband service then I am more than willing to do my part and volunteer my packets to do so.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dmxrob6

The last I would believe the FCC could actually do for me would be get me better broadband.

Don't hold your breath...

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

2 recommendations

I stand a better chance of the FCC helping not only me, but others as well, get better broadband than waiting for AT&T to invest a nickel in their network. They seem to invest real well in making sure they have the technology to do price increases every year, but when it comes to upgrading -- as our local line tech (we have ONE for the entire city) told me, he has people begging for DSL but AT&T refuses to invest the money to simply lay another 50-pair copper line less than 1 mile.

If history serves me correctly, if it wasn't for the government stepping in many people in rural areas across this nation would still be without power, phone and running water.

Putting all your "faith" into large corporations is about as foolish as putting all your "faith" into the government. Sometimes you need oversight, and the fact that America is light years behind most of the rest of the industrialized world in broadband access and speeds (despite us paying through the nose) tells me that something needs to change -- and if it takes government action to do so, then so be it.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to dmxrob6

I don't live in fear. I live in reality of greed. Corp and Gov. And I don't like it at all.

I don't have any hope of the FCC doing anything to help anyone but big Corp. Spent too many years watching crap go on behind the scenes to even hope anymore.

That being said, IMHO, all you'll get out of the FCC for this is that nobody needs better broadband because people with slower speeds (or dial up) don't need better because all they do is visit foodnetwork. Or never stream TV or movies.

Same as a store that doesn't carry something important to you anymore. Why? Didn't sell enough. But you can't buy it so how can they say it didn't sell enough if it was never there?
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

said by beck:

That being said, IMHO, all you'll get out of the FCC for this is that nobody needs better broadband because people with slower speeds (or dial up) don't need better because all they do is visit foodnetwork. Or never stream TV or movies.
Perhaps so - but I'm at least willing to try. I know that if I don't try the results will be exactly the same as now. If I do try, there is at least a chance something may come of it.

Change only comes about when people take an active interest in making it happen.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to dmxrob6

Typically I have no problems with some like this, but this is the Federal Censorship Corporation we're talking about here. I’d rather spend the rest of my life on my 15Mb connection with no advances if that meant not involving those goons. I don't trust anything that agency does, and I refuse to be a part of their bullshit.
--
Time Warner Cable Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - Providing an advanced fiber network since before fiber became popular
Sprint Subscriber, Fanboy, Shill & Lover - America’s most dependable 3G network, first 4G network, best push to talk network

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to dmxrob6

said by dmxrob6:

If this helps the masses (including me) eventually get better broadband service then I am more than willing to do my part and volunteer my packets to do so.
You talk of this as if it serves some high purpose and your participation is for some greater good.

The website you link to states on its homepage that the purpose of this program is to "provide US consumers with reliable and accurate statistics of their broadband connections."

No where does it say changes will be made based on this study. As best I can tell, all it will do is collect & publish aggregate data on internet traffic patterns, which is already available anyway.

So if doing this makes you all warm & gooey inside, by all means go for it. I think its just another feel-good taxpayer supported program to collect junk data that will never benefit anyone, except maybe the bottom line of the contractor hired to run it.

And a back door into all them networks makes things easy, too. Saves them the hassle of being sneaky about it. The sheeple will cheerfully volunteer to be monitored under the guise of "helping society." All totalitarian states get started this way.

Really dude, if you want to help your fellow man why not sign up to work a few hours a month at a homeless shelter or something? At best, SamKnows is just some congressman's pork sandwich.

mocycler

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to dmxrob6

Yes I would not apply for this because they want the device between your router and the modem. I wouldn't mind putting something on my network but not passing all my network traffic through it. As they describe it just runs speed tests so I don't see why it's needed.
--
PRescott7-2097

John K

@conquesthousing.com
reply to dmxrob6

quote:
I remember something my mother said years ago that always stuck with me -- "You can live in fear, or you can live life".

I prefer to live life.

I think you're confusing being fearful with being wary. If you are wary, you need never be fearful.

When it comes to dealing with the government and/or large corporations, it's worth keeping in mind that very few things they do benefit you and I first and them second.

When someone offers to do me a good deed, the first thing I ask myself is, "What's in it for them?" There are very few times that the government and/or a large corporation is going to do something for you and I without there being something in it for them, too. More often than not, any concerns you might have are going to be little more than an afterthought for them.

Acknowledging that fact of life is being wary, not fearful: if I don't give them an in, I have nothing to fear. That, for me, is what being wary is all about.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to mocycler

quote:
Call me a "tin foil hat," but it smells like a Big Brother snooping mission, of course presented as an innocent consumer research program.
I dunno what to think!!

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to dmxrob6

"Government action" is already the cause of broadband development being crippled. If something the FCC did would actually help, it might be another issue, but that isn't going to happen. Remember net neutrality? Digital television?

This does sound like another way to increase their budget - and guess who pays for that?

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Happydude32

said by Happydude32:

Typically I have no problems with some like this, but this is the Federal Censorship Corporation we're talking about here. I’d rather spend the rest of my life on my 15Mb connection with no advances if that meant not involving those goons. I don't trust anything that agency does, and I refuse to be a part of their bullshit.
Yes, but you have 15 mb. Many of us are stuck at 3.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO

2 recommendations

The Russians are not attacking; the aliens are not landing; and you guys have way too many conspiracy theories in your heads.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to dmxrob6

like some crippled, half-assed authoritative government agency is going to help improve the common citizen's life. please. if the FCC would stop letting the telecommunication companies run the show and make the laws, then that would be a start.
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disaprove of.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to dmxrob6

said by dmxrob6:

The Russians are not attacking; the aliens are not landing; and you guys have way too many conspiracy theories in your heads.
Actually the Russian mob is really good at exploiting the internet and ATM machines, American businesses/consumers have lost millions to them.

It's hardly a conspiracy theory to think that our government is spying on our interweb usage. In fact, the Patriot Act and George Bush made it possible for the NSA to spy on any Americans w/o a warrant. And they do. (»www.eff.org/nsa/faq)

I don't know about the aliens tho.
--
-meh

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA

It is clear that the NSA uses alien technology to spy on us.
--
A block of cheese is a good day indeed.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

said by sapo:

It is clear that the NSA uses alien technology to spy on us.
The NSA are the aliens!

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dmxrob6

I'm in!
I have nothing to hide, do not download any illegal items.. if the government really wanted to know what I do they sure as heck would not use this as a ruse/excuse to snoop on me. they have much sneakier tactics!

besides, I get a new netgear router! a wnd3500L I believe is what the email i got says.. the software they've loaded is open source so if i chose to do a little snooping of my own i can.
this same software is being used on thousands, if not millions of other routers worldwide for the same types of tests.
the FAQ's/FACTS
»www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

I tossed my tin foil hat years ago!! am also a card carrying member of the NRA.. so if big brother wanted to spy, I'm sure he already has!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

quote:
I have nothing to hide, do not download any illegal items..
Ahhhh you are MORE THAN WILLING to give up your privacy FOR NOTHING??

I dont understand people who DO NOT VALUE THIER PRIVACY!!

RedCaliSS
Premium
Murrieta, CA

give up my privacy? ehhh.. this is the internet age... we all gave that up the minute we got our own unique IP Address..
yes i know all about proxy servers.... anon access methods but seriously...what good will that do?
been on the "net" before it was the net.. arpanet... BBS's.. hell my first pc was a brand new shiny Commie C=64 so ya i been around a few years... Unc Sam already has my info from 6 yrs in the military, taxes.. social security... 40+ years working, alimony, child support, jury duty, mortgage, CC Bills..card carrying member of the National Rifle Association, at one time a security clearance for a contractor i worked for, a private arms dealer license to get my full auto permit (requires an FBI background check).. various background checks for jobs throughout the years...etc.. etc.. all you tin hat wearers seriously need to stop being so paranoid...big brother/google already has mine and your info tucked away...
someone wants my identity? Please Take it! i don't want it anymore!

Seriously think about the day to day info that companies have compiled on you, credit checks... loans, employment background checks, hell even the electric company, if you've ever bought a house, the three major credit agencies have every purchase you've ever made via a credit card not to mention all your payment history...school loan? dept of education knows where you are. today, no one has much privacy unless you've been living in a cave the last 50 years... so before anyone spouts out about privacy think about the simple day to day items you pay for!
your payroll taxes your employer takes out and sends to big brother using your social security number!!
your unencrypted cell phone conversations that any entry level hacker high school kid can use a police scanner to intercept. voice/data stream with plans easily found on the internet..
privacy? ohh puh-lease!!
the list is endless of data available on each and every one of us through everyday tasks.. your ATM/debit purchases... yes even the banks track those...
DMV registration/ Drivers License, state knows where you are if they wish to eavesdrop....
Privacy? again.. Puh-lease!

privacy? ya right!!

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to Happydude32

said by Happydude32:

Data they collect on you never goes away. Never.
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to dmxrob6

Re: FCC & SamKnows

Have you heard from them further? I got the emails (I applied way back IMMEDIATELY upon hearing of this effort) about meeting the profile, etc about the time you did (Sept 5 and Sept 14 for the second one). I did the further tests required and filled out the further information. Upon completion of the additional tests, SamKnows said I should hear from them within "about two weeks". I have not heard anything.

I really wanted to do this! The mail goes down frequently with my ISP so I am wondering if I am missing an email from them or what.

So, after doing the speed test, etc. have you heard from them again? Are they sending you the router?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to dmxrob6

said by dmxrob6:

said by beck:

Perhaps so - but I'm at least willing to try. I know that if I don't try the results will be exactly the same as now. If I do try, there is at least a chance something may come of it.

Change only comes about when people take an active interest in making it happen.
Exactly there will not be a change till People stand-up in masses.
--
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possible!! It's Acually A Reality!!The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!!!
Expand your moderator at work

John K

@conquesthousing.com
reply to Mele20

Re: FCC & SamKnows

quote:
The mail goes down frequently with my ISP so I am wondering if I am missing an email from them or what.

Have you considered going with a third-party email provider?

I know email doesn't enjoy a 100% success rate, but you shouldn't have to spend -too- much time fretting over if you've gotten something or not.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I have third party email providers also. They are no more reliable/unreliable than my ISP. Besides, I think I recall SamKnows wanting ISP email address because they choose you based on what ISP you have and whether or not you pass a speed test and connection reliability. Speed test is not for speed per se but they need testers with reliable connections that do not go down frequently. It looks like they are using NDT tests.

What I wanted to know from the OP was whether or not he had heard further from them since doing the additional qualifying tests. I'm wondering if they are so disorganized that they have yet to communicate a followup with those who completed the additional qualification tests to let them know "yay" or "neah" on their being chosen. It may be that they have sent out no emails yet to any of us who completed the further tests. On the other hand, maybe they simply didn't bother to communicate to those of us who completed the further tests but they decided not to choose. I am just trying to figure out what the current situation is with them.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

RedCaliSS
Premium
Murrieta, CA

just received this email:

Dear John

Thank you for volunteering to participate in the SamKnows Broadband Performance Measurement Study, in association with the FCC.

You can track delivery of your White box via UPS with the following tracking number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

We've done our best to make sure the installation instructions are as simple and straightforward as possible, but if you have any questions about set-up, please do not hesitate to email us at community@samknows.com.

Also, please email us at community@samknows.com once the unit has been successfully installed on your network.

In addition to the satisfaction of knowing that you're helping us better understand broadband service in the United States, you'll also have access to data on your own connection through the SamKnows customised web dashboard. We'll be sending you details on how to access your dashboard up to two weeks after you've installed your White Box.

Thanks again for volunteering, and for helping us to establish greater transparency in the American broadband market.

Kind regards,
Sam.