share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Re: FCC & SamKnows

If you have power outages, have you considered buying a UPS? That should eliminate the need to reboot your equipment in most cases. Obviously, if the outage is longer than the battery run-time, you will have to restart (hopefully, this will not happen very often).

thomasr

join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC
kudos:1
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I have DHCP issues with the Netgear connected. I don't have them when it is disconnected.

From the sounds of your confusion, you MUST have both routers trying to run as DHCP servers. Look at the picture and make sure your setting is NOT CHECKED for "Use router as DHCP server"

thomasr

Winston Salem, NC
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I didn't state the Netgear was in bridged mode in the last post I made in this thread?

How about making sure it is in "bridge" mode, you never want to have two routers plugged in one behind the other unless one is in bridge mode.

thomasr

Winston Salem, NC
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

Maybe the error is connected to the warning I was getting repeatedly from Netgear. The warning disappeared though after a few days and I didn't understand what it wanted me to update. I had forgotten about it because I haven't seen that error for about the lastt 5 days I had the Netgear enabled. Then the modem tripped off line and I had problems after that and just now remembered that Netgear warning.

After any reboot, the SK router has to obtain and IP address, hopefully because you have it set to do so automatically. It will pull the address from your MAIN router. You will see this warning any time you log into this IP address and manage the SK router any time it has been rebooted. Why this shows as a "warning", I do not know. It is only informational. And you will only see it ONCE unless the device has been rebooted.

thomasr

Winston Salem, NC
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

If SK was more responsive, I would have emailed them when I first got the warning and asked about it but they take a very long time to reply and did not reply at all to my last two posts which were a continuation of the problem I was having. They didn't reply to my first post either. It was finally given to a supervisor who replied.

From reading your posts and then disassembling this post I am replying to, I believe I know why SK is not being responsive to you. Your posts seem to contradict one another. That would definitely make me think you are inept in dealing with these types things and make me not want to assist. Not to mention the way you seem to fire back in the manor you do when replying to what people have tried to tell you. I am actually surprised they have not already asked for your whitebox back.

SK does not respond immediately because of the difference in time zones and such. They DO however respond in 24-48 hours - WITHOUT FAIL! That is unless you have been labeled a technotard. I personally have never had a problem in communication with them.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to daveinpoway
I've always had a UPS since I got my first computer years ago. They are essential if you have a nice computer. The APC one I have currently is old and on its second battery which is over three years old now. There is just enough time, with it fully charged, for the Power Chute software to put the computer into hibernation. I will be getting a new UPS when I get a new computer. I have held off because at least one Dell machine I am considering has a 500 watt power supply and that requires a very expensive (to me) UPS. The UPSes I have had sell for about $100 and the one I will have to buy if I get one of the Dells I like the most sell for over $300. It's the video card requiring the pure sine wave UPS. The Back-UPS that I have always bought in the past is simulated sine wave and won't work with the newer, more powerful video cards. (I'm waiting for Dell to offer some nVidia cards as I can't see spending that much on a UPS).

This is not relevant though to having to unplug the routers and modem and reboot and then plug back in if the modem goes off line. I've always had to do that. The Netgear has a strange sized plug head and it takes up two plugs on the UPS because of it. The Linksy router has a square, fat plug head that also takes up two plugs on the UPS. So, now I have no plug for another piece of equipment (I have to put it on a power strip instead). The current model of the UPS I have has two more plug outlets but it is not true sine wave so I have to wait until I decide on a computer to decide on a UPS.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to thomasr
said by thomasr:

said by Mele20:

I have DHCP issues with the Netgear connected. I don't have them when it is disconnected.

From the sounds of your confusion, you MUST have both routers trying to run as DHCP servers. Look at the picture and make sure your setting is NOT CHECKED for "Use router as DHCP server"

I cannot uncheck that setting. I tried many times. The Netgear resets most any settings I uncheck. I have no idea why. But in this case I can't even uncheck it. I also have blank pages for all the wireless settings. That is on a variety of browsers. I can't even see the correct help file on the right side. I see a help file that has to do with a different settings page. During prime usage hours I can't even load the netgear settings page at all or if it does load it takes forever and has other blank pages besides the wireless pages.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to thomasr
said by thomasr:

said by Mele20:

I didn't state the Netgear was in bridged mode in the last post I made in this thread?

How about making sure it is in "bridge" mode, you never want to have two routers plugged in one behind the other unless one is in bridge mode.

You are taking my comments out of context. Please stop doing that.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to thomasr
said by thomasr:

said by Mele20:

Maybe the error is connected to the warning I was getting repeatedly from Netgear. The warning disappeared though after a few days and I didn't understand what it wanted me to update. I had forgotten about it because I haven't seen that error for about the lastt 5 days I had the Netgear enabled. Then the modem tripped off line and I had problems after that and just now remembered that Netgear warning.

After any reboot, the SK router has to obtain and IP address, hopefully because you have it set to do so automatically. It will pull the address from your MAIN router. You will see this warning any time you log into this IP address and manage the SK router any time it has been rebooted. Why this shows as a "warning", I do not know. It is only informational. And you will only see it ONCE unless the device has been rebooted.

It is a badly worded if that is all it is doing. Why didn't I see it in the beginnig then? I didn't. And I don't see every time the router is rebooted. Just sometimes. Seems inconsistent to me and the message is confusing.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to thomasr
Oh, so somehow SK magically knew before they ever received my first email that I was a technotard? Wow! They are really amazing then!!!

Just keep up with your angry drivel and SK will be asking for your router back. SK and the FCC WANT AVERAGE USERS TO TEST not arrogant know it alls.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to thomasr
said by thomasr:

said by Mele20:

You are WRONG. I just logged in and I did NOT see that warning. I had to use 192.168.1.101 to login. It should be at .102. When I try that address, Proxo gives a 404 error. So, I tried the .101 and that was successful. But I got no warning. I can't make any changes in the settings though and maybe it is because I didn't get the warning and am logged in on the wrong address. That is not my fault. I found ALL settings at default AGAIN. If the Netgear cannot remember settings, cannot remember its address, well..geez...that is awful because I will need to reboot it frequently. I always have to reboot the Linksy and the modem at LEAST ONCE A WEEK and usually several times a week... sometimes several times a day and I am not putting up with this crap that frequently. Maybe this is why SK stated that they did not want participants who don't have extremely STEADY connections. That is REALLY BAD as talk about self selection of only those with the most PERFECT CONNECTIONS...again, I think SK sold out from the beginning to the ISPs...or, I should say that the FCC sold out which is exactly what one would expect of the FCC...sadly to say.

I still have blank pages for anything to do with USB storage settings, wireless settings, and I can't turn off remote management which is on for everyone and I can't even change the port. DHCP is "on" and I can't turn it off BUT Connection Status shows that the DHCP Server is at 192.168.1.1 which is the Linksy router and it also states that I have a 7 day lease which is not possible with the Netgear so that IS working correctly even though I cannot turn off DHCP in the Netgear settings so you are wrong about this also.

It is utterly absurd that I would need to login on the wrong address and hope eventually to get a warning message so I can then log in on the correct address. It is also pitiful if the Netgear forgets all settings every time it needs rebooting. My Linksy has NEVER forgotten anything and it has been rebooted a zillion times since I got it.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
The need for a sinewave-output UPS has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the video card. Many newer PC's (with active power-factor correction power supplies) will not work with a stepped-waveform UPS. Here is one discussion about this topic (I am sure there are others): »New Computer & sine wave ups . If you type "need for sinewave ups for new PC" (without the quotes) into Google, other information will come up.

So, waiting for Dell to offer other video cards will not affect your need for a more advanced UPS for your new PC. As far as I know, no PC maker who uses an APFC power supply gives you an option to order the computer with an older-design power supply (that will work with the type of UPS you now have).

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
It's the video card CHOICE that determines the size of the Power Supply on one of these Dells. If the Power Supply is under 500 Watts then APC UPS that I currently have will work fine (supposedly). If the power supply is 500 Watts or above it will not work according to many Dell purchasers and APC. Dell is still selling the very APC unit I have (slightly newer model but with the same crappy old powerchute software) with the Dells I am considering.

You can see this for yourself by running the New Egg Power Supply Configurator and leaving all fields the same except for the version of the ATI video card. I realize that calculator is a rough approximation but it does illustrate my point that in the case of these Dells the specific ATI video card chosen determines whether or not the APC BACK-UPS ES BE750G 10-Outlet 750VA 120V UPS System will work properly. According to APC PDF and other statements from them, if the power supply is 500 watts or above, with a Active PFC, then the Back-UPS ES BE750G will not work even though Dell is selling it with these machines. Most of the ATI cards Dell offers will work with the Back-UPS. But the only two ATI cards offered that I like won't work and I want an nVidia card anyway. So, yes, it does make sense to wait and see what nVidia cards Dell offers in the future.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
I can't speak specifically about Dell, since I have never owned a Dell desktop PC and they tend to use a lot of proprietary designs, but, in the non-proprietary world, the dividing line is less than 500W. I have a 380W and a 400W power supply sitting here, and they are both 80-Plus certified with Active Power-Factor Correction.

Even though you will need to buy a new UPS, if you are planning to keep your new PC for awhile and turn it on more than a few hours per day, you want the high-efficiency power supply, since it will save you more in electricity expenses over its life than what the UPS will cost.

On the box for my 400W power supply, they supply a calculator (strangely, this is based on a 300W PS, but the results will be even more extreme at higher power levels). Running 24/7/365 for one year, they indicate (at 11 cents/kilowatt-hour) that this PS will save you at least $186 over the electricity costs for a non-80-Plus PS.

kmg90

join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI
reply to dmxrob6
I’ve noticed some differences in activity between my old router and the white box. First on the white box, ALL wireless network activity is “mirrored” onto the wired connects (eg when downloading something over wifi, all wired port lights, that are plugged in and active, show activity ‘in sync’ of the wireless light), this doesn't happen on my WNR3500 V1.

I'm no network connection expert, but I understand some of the very basics of it. I find it weird that that the wired connections don't have the same effect on the wireless (wireless activity 'in sync' when using wired)

I've done about half a day of searching for explanation but I have failed to find any good explanation...

kmg90

join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI
reply to dmxrob6
After a few days of using DD-WRT on the unit I can say I think the NETGEAR firmware is bugged, ugly and slow

I've had no problems with wireless or internet drop outs during the 4 day trial, I'm back on the default firmware now so it can continue to do testing

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to dmxrob6
I finally decided to try IE 8 at SK Dashboard site because on the virtual machine I have running XP Pro and IE8, I have Flash installed for IE (latest Flash version). There is NO indication that Flash is needed and IE 8 states that the site is so messed up that it may not run correctly on IE 8. On IE8, I cannot even look at any results much less look at graphs needing Flash Player.

SK Dashboard site is a mess and it is NOT my browsers that are the problem. It is SK!

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Timestamp: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 09:34:07 UTC

Line: 523
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: »reporting.samknows.com/js/ui.selectmenu.js

Line: 322
Char: 6
Code: 0
URI: »reporting.samknows.com/index.php/dashboard

(I'm not sure why it says MSIE 7.0 in the UA as I am running IE 8 not 7). This is with a direct connection the internet.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

Mele, it works fine for everybody on here- except you. As was said elsewhere, eventually one must come to the conclusion that there are problems with your setup, rather than sites you are attempting to access.

Of course, I'm not using a sub-standard closed browser like IE...
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
IE 8 is a substandard closed browser? That's odd. I don't even know what you mean by "closed". I thought IE8 was current for IE? It isn't? Only IE9 is acceptable now? I have XP. I cannot install IE 9 on it. So, you are saying that IE on XP, even IE 8 is no longer acceptable to use? Did Sam Knows inform you of this?

What do you consider acceptable for Opera? I have the latest Opera browser. It is not acceptable?
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to dmxrob6
The router is currently only testing in a spotty manner. SK FAQ state to contact them when this happens. NOTE THAT THERE IS A FAQ ON THIS ISSUE SO OBVIOUSLY THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ONLY TO ME.

The irritating thing though is that they ask that you first restart the router. They say this is simple. It is NOT simple. I have to shut down my virtual machines. Then I have to save all work and shurt down all browsers running, Word, etc. Then I have to unplug the modem and both routers and then reboot the computer and then plug in modem, wait for sync, plug in the Linksy router, wait it for it, then finally plug in the netgear. That is in no way simple. I never reboot for as long as possible...30 days or more.

SK should have made very clear exactly what browsers and browser versions work at their site and that Flash is required and that frequent rebooting is required because of their buggy firmware.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Mele20
Closed as in 'only available for a particular OS'. I don't use Opera (don't like the way it looks or works), but I did fire it up, and it worked fine for me:

--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

2 edits
reply to Mele20
So far I've had the website work on every OS on 3 different devices on 3 different internet connections I've tried:
MacOS X 10.6
Windows XP
Blackberry OS 6

And EVERY browser I've tried on Windows:
IE8
Firefox 2-4
Opera 9-11
Chrome 6-9
Iron 5-9
QtWeb
Seamonkey

Safari
Webkit latest nightly
Firefox 3.6
Shiva
Opera 11
A few more I don't remember on the Mac

On the Blackberry
Blackberry Browser
Opera Mini
Obviosly graphs won't display but everything elese seems to work

Maybee I'll try some of the Linux varients or my Wii. I'm still trying to figue out where it won't work.
--
If it's important.... back it up... twice. Even 99.999% reliability isn't enough sometimes.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

Don't bother. It's just her screwed up system. She has trouble with everything, including stuff that's working perfectly for everyone, including her. She just doesn't understand this high tech stuff called "computers".

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
Suprisingly it works perfect on the Wii browser. It's based on Opera and has Flash built in and Javascript so the graphs work with the popups too.

(Edit) I did find some browsers I couldn't usably run it on: Internet Exploror... 3, 4, 5, or 5.5. They choked on the Javascripts on the pages. But IE 6, 7, and 8 work fine.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The irritating thing though is that they ask that you first restart the router. They say this is simple. It is NOT simple. I have to shut down my virtual machines. Then I have to save all work and shurt down all browsers running, Word, etc. Then I have to unplug the modem and both routers and then reboot the computer and then plug in modem, wait for sync, plug in the Linksy router, wait it for it, then finally plug in the netgear. That is in no way simple. I never reboot for as long as possible...30 days or more.

Why do you have to reboot your PC, Linksys router, and/or modem? You should be able to just restart the router with problems. What's the reasoning behind rebooting everything when just the router (in bridge mode no less) is the only thing needing a restart?

Works for me. Seems you like to make things extra complicated.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% reliability isn't enough sometimes.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

SK should have made very clear exactly what browsers and browser versions work at their site and that Flash is required and that frequent rebooting is required because of their buggy firmware.

what frequent rebooting?

Too bad Comcast did unannounced maintenance on feb 22 making me think something was wrong on my end, otherwise my router's uptime have been closer to a month.. Once I spent the 5-10 minutes doing the initial setup, my router has run continuously error free.

I have to agree with what some others have said, after reading your "experience" with this and just about everything else you have ranted about in the past, I too come to the conclusion that the root of your issues/problems must be in your setup. In all honesty it sounds like you have way too many security/privacy applications running, with one or more mis-configured..

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
No frequent reboots here- last time was when I was last playing with the usb port.