Saint Peters, MO
·Charter
·StarLink
·Suddenlink

dmxrob to mocycler

Premium Member

to mocycler

Re: FCC & SamKnows

I remember something my mother said years ago that always stuck with me -- "You can live in fear, or you can live life".

I prefer to live life.

I think nowadays there are way too many conspiracy theories going around. If the FCC wants to know that I browse the Food Network, keep track of my workouts on Men's Health and like to listen to the new Eminem then they can have at it. I got way too many other things of more importance to worry about.

If this helps the masses (including me) eventually get better broadband service then I am more than willing to do my part and volunteer my packets to do so.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

mocycler

Premium Member

said by dmxrob:

If this helps the masses (including me) eventually get better broadband service then I am more than willing to do my part and volunteer my packets to do so.
You talk of this as if it serves some high purpose and your participation is for some greater good.

The website you link to states on its homepage that the purpose of this program is to "provide US consumers with reliable and accurate statistics of their broadband connections."

No where does it say changes will be made based on this study. As best I can tell, all it will do is collect & publish aggregate data on internet traffic patterns, which is already available anyway.

So if doing this makes you all warm & gooey inside, by all means go for it. I think its just another feel-good taxpayer supported program to collect junk data that will never benefit anyone, except maybe the bottom line of the contractor hired to run it.

And a back door into all them networks makes things easy, too. Saves them the hassle of being sneaky about it. The sheeple will cheerfully volunteer to be monitored under the guise of "helping society." All totalitarian states get started this way.

Really dude, if you want to help your fellow man why not sign up to work a few hours a month at a homeless shelter or something? At best, SamKnows is just some congressman's pork sandwich.

mocycler

John K
@conquesthousing.com

John K to dmxrob

Anon

to dmxrob
quote:
I remember something my mother said years ago that always stuck with me -- "You can live in fear, or you can live life".

I prefer to live life.

I think you're confusing being fearful with being wary. If you are wary, you need never be fearful.

When it comes to dealing with the government and/or large corporations, it's worth keeping in mind that very few things they do benefit you and I first and them second.

When someone offers to do me a good deed, the first thing I ask myself is, "What's in it for them?" There are very few times that the government and/or a large corporation is going to do something for you and I without there being something in it for them, too. More often than not, any concerns you might have are going to be little more than an afterthought for them.

Acknowledging that fact of life is being wary, not fearful: if I don't give them an in, I have nothing to fear. That, for me, is what being wary is all about.