spc
uniqs

Sentential
@comcast.net

Sentential to ALC22

Anon

to ALC22

Re: ATT DSL Loses sync regularly, Tech Finds No fault

Coming from an att tech allow me to clarify the above statements. First issues with static ip address (SIP) are either a BBG issue which would be a widespread outage to the tune of 10,000+ people or it is because of a multiple login, especially if you have a single static ip. This happens when the end user has their PPPOE login in use in more than one modem.What happens is you get a see-saw effect as one modem logs in the other logs out. If you have a SIP and a multiple login ensure each modem has their own unique password and user name in it; the agent you speak with should be able to determine this. Another thing to try is set the modem to always on if it is not a gateway so it ceases to throttle on and off during usage.

Second setting all ips to zero does nothing WAN side, all UID/Pass combos are what issue your SIP radius wise. As long as you have your uid in your modem and it has a SIP you are gonna get it unless BICS pulls it off.

Also the yahoo migration you speak of is a crap-shoot, the agent knows it, I know it. I have yet to see one single instance where that has come into play off the huge number of repair tickets I see.

Now as for the network password ie the randomly generated one, that IS legit. There have been a number of radius related surf issues caused by that debacle. Anytime I get a cu who calls in I always go through the motions of decoupling the password. Typically what you will see when it is the problem is DNS resolve related issues when surfing.

Finally issues at the element like you speak of with the MUX card at that DSLAM/ONU are rather specific in nature. Typically depending on the card (most common is Catena) what you will see is good sync on the port but no surf whatsoever. Attempts to authenticate will yield "cannot connect to target service".Intermittent issues are typically result from a loose dropwire and not so much at the element unless your port is throwing off a bunch of near end errors which DSG can check in their PM data list.

aec22
@bellsouth.net

aec22

Anon

I'm using the Motorola 2210-002. The modem help screen is as follows.

Static IP Address: Your service provider may tell you that the WAN IP Address for your Router is static. In this case, enter the IP Address from your Service Provider in the appropriate field. If not using PPP, a value of 0.0.0.0 enables address assignment via DHCP.
IP Gateway: The IP Address of the default gateway, or peer address if using PPP. This is normally set to 0.0.0.0 for PPP connections.

The way that I read it and the way it works from an empirical point is if the address is not set to zero then dhcp for the Wan is disabled. Once the lease is lost at the system side then there is not a valid address. No Address no comm. Pryor to this the system may have assigned this address to some one else but still maintained a lease with my modem. As you stated this would cause a see-saw effect. In my case I had been in contact with support off and on for a month and could not resolve the problem of slow latency time with the internet. I had a power failure which lasted for several hours. After power was restored, the modem would not connect to the WAN. I had a spare modem which I swapped into the system. It was set to dhcp, so the system worked until I tried to set up my dedicated IP. The system crashed. This and another long conversation with support was how I learned that I no longer had a dedicated IP. I swapped the original modem back into the system, set the address to zeros and it worked fine. This cleared up my original problem of long latency time.

As far as the yahoo password, it has created many problems. You may not see it in the support record because it rarely gets fixed. The customers either learns to live with the long latency times, don’t know any better, or do like you have and go to cable. This problem may now be resolved with the separation of the email and system login passwords but for people that are having latency problems its still worth checking. Check the yahoo profile and enter the new system password in the modem. Do you know of a method of getting the new system password short of calling support? Will AT&T be proactive for a change and mail the new password and instructions as part of the monthly bill or generate an email to all users with the password and instructions on changing it?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

When you post a model number for the motorola 2210 you should use the full model number and since there are three versions of software that number should be posted too

bellsouth requires the use of pppoe for all accounts

There are websites where the subcriber can change the network password and the account password

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7 to aec22

Premium Member

to aec22
What it says in the Motorola 2210 about entering you static IP address is wrong when using FastAccess DSL service. You should never hard code the static IP address that AT&T Southeast has assigned to you.

These static IP addresses are not really static IP addresses. It works the exact same way as the dynamic IP address except it is supposed to assign you the same IP address each time.

Your static IP address is assigned based on your PPP login credentials and it is done with Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPCP) instead of Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to aec22

MVM

to aec22
said by aec22 :

As far as the yahoo password, it has created many problems. You may not see it in the support record because it rarely gets fixed. The customers either learns to live with the long latency times, don’t know any better, or do like you have and go to cable.
I had the same password for the longest time after I migrated to SBC Yahoo! DSL Service as I had before migration. Although I have changed it since, I have not had any problems relating to the password. Certainly not WRT to latency.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to aec22

Premium Member

to aec22
said by aec22 :

As far as the yahoo password, it has created many problems. You may not see it in the support record because it rarely gets fixed. The customers either learns to live with the long latency times, don’t know any better, or do like you have and go to cable. This problem may now be resolved with the separation of the email and system login passwords but for people that are having latency problems its still worth checking. Check the yahoo profile and enter the new system password in the modem. Do you know of a method of getting the new system password short of calling support? Will AT&T be proactive for a change and mail the new password and instructions as part of the monthly bill or generate an email to all users with the password and instructions on changing it?
I don't know how latency is involved in properly using your username/password, unless you are talking about the latency that it may take some to figure out how to do it.

As for customer notification, AT&T sent out an email a couple of months ago detailing the new password change/reset procedure:
said by AT&T :

Important Change to Password Reset Process

Dear AT&T High Speed Internet member:

As part of ongoing service enhancements to provide you
with a better Internet experience, we have changed the
process for resetting your account password, making it
simpler and more convenient.

This email is for information purposes only. No action
is required at this time.

What's Changing?

You have two passwords that you use with your AT&T
High Speed Internet service:

1) Your primary account password used to access your
email, att.net home page, and account management features.

2) Your DSL network password used by your modem/gateway
to connect to the DSL network.

Previously, both passwords were required to match. If you
changed your primary account password you also had to change
the network password on your modem/gateway, or else your
Internet service would be disrupted until the network
password was changed on the modem/gateway.

To make it easier for you to update your account password
and avoid confusion or connectivity issues, we have improved
the process so that you no longer need to reset your DSL
network password when you change your primary account
password. You will be able to change your account or email
password at any time, and as often as you like, without
changing your network password by visiting our Online Help
site at »www.att.net/AccountPasswordReset

What do I need to do?

Although no action is necessary at this time, it is important
for you to take note of this change.

If you wish to change your DSL network password at any time
in the future, you can get more information by visiting our
Online Help site at »www.att.net/NetworkPasswordReset.

We hope that this change will offer you more convenience and
that you continue to enjoy your AT&T High Speed Internet
service.

Thank you for using AT&T!

Sincerely,

Your AT&T High Speed Internet Customer Care Team

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL
The address is automated, unattended, and cannot help with
questions or requests.

(c) 2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T
and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.

They also sent out multiple emails two years ago warning about the ATT/Yahoo migration:
said by AT&T :

Coming Soon! A New Home for Your
AT&T Internet Service

Dear AT&T Internet Service Member:

Get ready for a great new Internet experience! A fresh new AT&T home
page, powered by Yahoo!, will be available to you soon to make your
online experience better than ever!

Make Yourself at Home
With the new home page at att.net, not only will you have a brand new
look for your Internet service, you'll also be getting more exciting
options with a world of content choices right at your fingertips and
enhanced features in addition to the ones you have now!

*A Fully Customizable Home Page: Make your Internet experience all
your own with many new personalization options. You'll be able to add,
remove, and move content quickly and simply with drag and drop
capability. And new home page themes are available for a personalized
look. You'll even be able to create and customize new pages!

*Exciting Content Choices: You'll be able to select from a wide range
of sources for News, Sports, Finance, Entertainment and more--including
popular choices such as Yahoo Finance.

*New Webmail with Expanded Storage: You'll get the newest version of
AT&T Webmail with UNLIMITED storage for each of your primary and sub-
account IDs!

*AT&T Software Center: With direct access from the home page and easy-
to-use icons, the AT&T Software Center will provide you with quick
downloads of the most recent versions of Instant Messenger, security
software, and more.

What's not Changing!
Rest assured, your email ID(s) won’t change, and you’ll continue to
enjoy the same great service you’ve come to expect - only with an
enhanced on-line experience! Your email messages, important webmail
settings and address book contacts will move with you to the new home
page and there will be no changes to your Internet access or pricing
due to these updates.

Next Steps
No Action is required at this time. More information & instructions
will be provided when the new home page is available to you. But if
you’d like to see a preview of the new home page or get more
information, please review the FAQs available at
»support.att.net/newhome/

Thank you for choosing AT&T - Your world. Delivered. We look forward
to serving your Internet needs for many years to come and hope you’ll
enjoy all the improvements!

Sincerely,

Your AT&T Internet Service Customer Care Team

Please do not reply to this message via e-mail. This address is
automated, unattended, and cannot help with questions or requests.

(c) 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All Rights Reserved. AT&T the AT&T
logo, and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T
Intellectual Property and/or affiliated companies.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I still have a copy of the email sent by SBC (the company which bought AT&T) announcing the implementation of outbound port 25 blocking. I recall a lot of customers complaining about how they never got the word. I wonder how many customers just pitch all ISP email announcements as spam, then get caught with their pants down, so to speak, as announced changes are implemented?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

I still have a copy of the email sent by SBC (the company which bought AT&T) announcing the implementation of outbound port 25 blocking. I recall a lot of customers complaining about how they never got the word. I wonder how many customers just pitch all ISP email announcements as spam, then get caught with their pants down, so to speak, as announced changes are implemented?
If my local small business clients are typical, then it is a common occurrence. Many of them regularly ignore such advance warnings from their ISPs, their email/web hosting providers, and their domain registrars, and then expect me to make it work again. I sometimes wonder how some of them stay in business if they pay as little attention to other aspects of their business as they do to internet access and their web sites.

alc22
@bellsouth.net

alc22 to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
Thanks for posting the notes from AT&T. I don't believe that I ever received them. But let’s assume that I did. The emphasis in the notes is that this is for informational purposes only. Where are the notes that say "Do this or you’re going down"?

I think that I need to define the term of Latency Time. This is the amount of time it takes from clicking on a link until the page is returned. This of course includes DNS lookup, site delay, comm. time, etc. My problem was that it would take 10 to 15 seconds to open the link of yahoo.com. Once the login was fixed, yahoo.com opens instantly. I'm using yahoo.com as an example, all links were very slow. My understanding is that with the numeric only password, AT&T/Yahoo would log me off the DSL system. When I would click on a link then I would have to logon to the system first. The login servers are slow which is ok since the login should only be done once at boot up time. You can see that having to login at every request will slow the response time down to the point that dial-up would be faster.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by alc22 :

Thanks for posting the notes from AT&T. I don't believe that I ever received them. But let’s assume that I did. The emphasis in the notes is that this is for informational purposes only. Where are the notes that say "Do this or you’re going down"?
I could answer that, but you would not like the answer.
said by alc22 :

I think that I need to define the term of Latency Time. This is the amount of time it takes from clicking on a link until the page is returned. This of course includes DNS lookup, site delay, comm. time, etc. My problem was that it would take 10 to 15 seconds to open the link of yahoo.com. Once the login was fixed, yahoo.com opens instantly. I'm using yahoo.com as an example, all links were very slow. My understanding is that with the numeric only password, AT&T/Yahoo would log me off the DSL system. When I would click on a link then I would have to logon to the system first. The login servers are slow which is ok since the login should only be done once at boot up time. You can see that having to login at every request will slow the response time down to the point that dial-up would be faster.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. If the password were invalid, you would not get a PPPoE authenticated session in the first place (AKA, sync, but no surf). My money is that you at some point in time had your modem/router Connection Type configured to [OnDemand], and while you were changing/resetting the password the Connection Type got changed to [Always On].

The primary reason that the [OnDemand] and [Manual] settings are there is because some ISPs have in the past charged by the kilobyte or by the minute (and some may still do it). For a normal always on DSL connection, you should always use a Connection Type of [Always On].