spc
uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to battleop

to battleop

Re: [Rant] Restaurant Managers

I find it annoying as hell when managers do less work than some employees themselves. I see managers just walking by, sitting, or even on the phone.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by billydunwood:

I find it annoying as hell when managers do less work than some employees themselves. I see managers just walking by, sitting, or even on the phone.
Yes - I am sure you know how they spend the rest of the 12 hours they put in based on a half hour of you seeing them....
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by CylonRed:

said by billydunwood:

Yes - I am sure you know how they spend the rest of the 12 hours they put in based on a half hour of you seeing them....
No, Ive been at restaraunts for business meetings and been there for 5 to 6 hours, and some just walk around pretty much doing nothing. Ive even seen where the manager of an ihop asked a person how their food was, and when he complained, the manager got the waiter and said the waiter will take care of this. The manager should have taken care of this.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

You still know nothing of what they do behind the wall in the kitchen. I worked in restaurants and bagel shops - not one manager worked less than 12 hours a day. Not all managers are good (your ihop experience - although it could be it could not be taken care of till the waitress was done and he could be busy then) but they have a ton of work to do.

It is the managers who do a ton of work no customer would ever see....
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by CylonRed:

You still know nothing of what they do behind the wall in the kitchen. I worked in restaurants and bagel shops - not one manager worked less than 12 hours a day. Not all managers are good (your ihop experience - although it could be it could not be taken care of till the waitress was done and he could be busy then) but they have a ton of work to do.

It is the managers who do a ton of work no customer would ever see....
I dont doubt that a majority of managers do a lot of work. However, I have seen some who sit and eat, and just walk around.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

The IHOP manager (not the real manager, just shift manager) is a glorified baby-sitter.

A manager's job isn't to join the worker bees, it's to oversee the work the worker bees are doing. This is the case in any industry, not just food service.

My wife is a chef and has worked as kitchen and restaurant management. We've even owned our own diner once. Food service management has the hardest job in the joint and works the longest hours. The pay can be good, but often once all the hours are added up, it's often shitty pay.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by thegeek:

The IHOP manager (not the real manager, just shift manager) is a glorified baby-sitter.

A manager's job isn't to join the worker bees, it's to oversee the work the worker bees are doing. This is the case in any industry, not just food service.

My wife is a chef and has worked as kitchen and restaurant management. We've even owned our own diner once. Food service management has the hardest job in the joint and works the longest hours. The pay can be good, but often once all the hours are added up, it's often shitty pay.
Yea, but managers should help when a waiter needs help, or the restaraunt is running slow. Not all of them do that.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

But helping out is not a solution to the problem. A good manager will assess the situation and find areas that need improvement so that no matter how busy the wait staff will be able to handle the work load.

You have to also consider the fact that in rare instances the wait staff could be part of a union. And the manager cleaning a table would piss off the union steward.
10825447 (banned)
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ

10825447 (banned) to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

Managers are there to manage the other employees, not to do everyones work including their own. Sometimes a managers job includes walking around, observing the work place, sitting and, get this, talking on the phone. I take it you have never been a manager..

As for them asking how everything is? It is quick and painless. I simply reply that everything is great or whatever and simply go back to my conversation. They leave.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
YOU don't see their whole day, used to be one. When my work was done then I was out with the employees. Yes I helped. but that wasn't all the managers did.