join:2010-08-02

Your phones down again?

Getting re-order tone.

TSI Jason
Business Services
Premium
join:2007-10-19
kudos:2

There's 6 ppl in queue right now, nothing wrong as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Jason

voxframe

reply to voxframe

Something's borked. Getting it on both toll free numbers on VOIP/POTS/CELL.

Just shoots to re-order/fast-busy.

If I vary the last 4 digits it'll connect to some other businesses etc. So looks like something on TSI end.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to TSI Jason

Considering the traffic volume has been high recently 6 in queue seems awfully low.

TSI Mike
TSI Mike
Premium
join:2007-10-09
Chatham, ON

Actually, looks like there is something going on. We're looking into it.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

First day of school communication company blues. My wife works in a call centre for an American ISP and they're offering all sorts of over time and incentives to work over time in preparation for the school rush. Between new orders, installs, and troubleshooting new connections they are swamped. I certainly don't envy any of you guys (and gals).

join:2010-09-06
reply to TSI Jason

If people are getting busy tones and you guys are using Pots lines sounds like a line or two are missing in the hunt group.

We had 1 line of 23 do this at work as well and caused the same problems.

TSI Steve
TSI Steve
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

said by 97177105:

If people are getting busy tones and you guys are using Pots lines sounds like a line or two are missing in the hunt group.

We are not using POTS. We use PRIs.

Two of the channels at Bells end were marked idle and at our they were marked busy. Bell was sending calls on those channels and we were rejecting them resulting in a fast busy.

This issue is actually resolved now though... At least it was up until I left at 6pm

If the issue has returned I am not aware and not able to reproduce it at the moment. If you are calling the office right now and getting a fast busy please send an email to support and say "ATTN TSI Steve" and just to be clear request support to forward it to me

Thanks
Steve
--
TSI Steve - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

It seems ironic to me that an ISP would not use VoIP

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

1 edit

It should also then seem ironic that we didn't go voip for fear of up-time issues!

reply to TSI Steve

said by TSI Steve:

said by 97177105:

We are not using POTS. We use PRIs.

Two of the channels at Bells end were marked idle and at our they were marked busy. Bell was sending calls on those channels and we were rejecting them resulting in a fast busy.

This issue is actually resolved now though... At least it was up until I left at 6pm

If the issue has returned I am not aware and not able to reproduce it at the moment. If you are calling the office right now and getting a fast busy please send an email to support and say "ATTN TSI Steve" and just to be clear request support to forward it to me

Thanks
Steve
Man I was half asleep when I wrote that, I don't know why I said Pots when I ment PRI which you think I would have noticed when I said 1 of 23 lines after that. oye long couple of days.

Guspaz as for VoIP, it's fun for long distance but I would never use it for the phone lines themselves.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to JGROCKY

said by JGROCKY:

It should also then seem ironic that we didn't go voip for fear of up-time issues!

Since being reachable by customers is in the prime interest of an ISP, or indeed almost any business, how about a "LiveAgent" link on the web page -- or maybe a couple of different ones.....one to sales queue on the sales page and a different queue on the support page? This would be an IP-based service.

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JGROCKY:

Since being reachable by customers is in the prime interest of an ISP, or indeed almost any business, how about a "LiveAgent" link on the web page -- or maybe a couple of different ones.....one to sales queue on the sales page and a different queue on the support page? This would be an IP-based service.
Ive always liked this idea too.As long as its implemented well.

voxframe

reply to voxframe

I gotta agree too... I love the live agent things.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to JGROCKY

Just FYI, I work in enterprise VoIP and my experience is even switching to native VoIP for your internal PBX would save a lot of hassles.
--
Michael Lerner
Founder and Editor of crtcwatch.ca

reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JGROCKY:

It would take people away from answering phones and live chats sometimes are 3-4 times longer then a phone call including the queue time.

TSI Steve
TSI Steve
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-12
Chatham, ON

said by 97177105:

said by MaynardKrebs:

It would take people away from answering phones and live chats sometimes are 3-4 times longer then a phone call including the queue time.
Yes -- although live chat is a very viable option right now it is not on the table at all due to the call volume and work load.

We are working very hard to get our 'newbies' fully trained but it can take months to have everyone running at the same level of efficiency.

Steve
--
TSI Steve - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to voxframe

Well at least this explains why I was getting a busy signal every time I phoned last night between 6 and 7 PM EST.

It did seem very odd to get a busy signal.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Just FYI, I work in enterprise VoIP and my experience is even switching to native VoIP for your internal PBX would save a lot of hassles.
It works for a large multinational mining corporation...why not TSI?. It truly eludes me that you would stick with "Antiquated" technology such as PRI's.

For all the current issues, I'm sure that at least controlling your own phone system would be important?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by nitzguy:

It truly eludes me that you would stick with "Antiquated" technology such as PRI's.
There is nothing antiquated about PRIs, they are the standard interface between phone carriers.

If you make a call from voip.ms from a QC or ON number to someone on callcentric.com in either province, your phone call will most likely go through Bell PRIs to switch from voip.ms to callcentric because there is no standard for exchanging phone directories (know which carrier owns which numbers) and routing calls directly across VoIP providers.

voxframe

reply to voxframe

Bingo...

Also PRI is still the only way to get DIDs on a large scale in most areas here since most COs are not ready for VOIP.

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to JGROCKY

said by JGROCKY:

What are you guys using for an internal system? I just got brought in by a company to do Cisco unified VOIP system... I have to say there pretty reliable... We've had them at my usual place of employment for a long time... Once there up and working... They tend just to work... VOIP really does not deserve the reputation it has gotten at times over the years...

I am using a trixbox CE at home... And damn it's reliable... Very impressed..

I think you guys need to start thinking about your phone systems the same way Mark and Gabe think about ERX's...

Just my worthless 2 cents..
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

Guido

join:2008-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to voxframe

Looks like they're down again, folks... getting a fast beep when calling in now.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to joshb

Sorry but Cisco? Yuck. Very expensive and ugly for administration. I won't advertise here but Rocky if you're looking for affordable commercial solutions PM me.
--
Michael Lerner

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by mlerner:

Sorry but Cisco? Yuck. Very expensive and ugly for administration. I won't advertise here but Rocky if you're looking for affordable commercial solutions PM me.
I dunno, it works fine for us. Our Centrex network at one of the sites goes down more than the voip system does...its been down for a total of ...5 minutes over the past 3 years...that's some pretty impressive uptime if you ask me...

The 5 minutes was a neccessary upgrade to the server...its fun to see all the phones go blank and then re-register and come back online after the upgrade was complete .

I would agree that voip has recieved a bad racket. Unfortunately some cut rate players at the beginning of the industry caused the issues and that reputation hasn't been easily shook.

It works and the administration of it isn't that bad...at least in my opinion, the web interface allows mac's to be added fairly easily.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

Well sure it works but you don't need to spend the premium for something you can get much less with equivalent functionality.
--
Michael Lerner

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

LOL... I knew some-one was going to post that comment... And to quite frank I agree with you 100%. But at the end of day I don't / didn't have a say in what was picked... Not my department... I just helped them fix it and tie it into other equipment... IPT systems... etc...etc...

I 100% agree there are better solutions out there with just as good functionality at a way better price.

Regards

Joshb
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare