Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

1 edit

1 recommendation

Khaine

Advertisers using HTML5 Features to Track Users

quote:
It's because of this behavior that some of our readers drew our attention to something called RLDGUID, a Safari database that has been popping up more and more on iOS devices. What is it, who put it there, and what purpose does it serve? The company behind this database, Ringleader Digital, is basically using some of the modern HTML5 capabilities of mobile browsers to perform the same tasks as a traditional cookie, but out of sight of most users. We decided to dig in and see what RLDGUID is all about, and what we found was sometimes confusing. More importantly, however, it highlights why users should be made more aware of what their browsers are storing about them.
From »arstechnica.com/apple/ne ··· form.ars

Sounds like we need one of two things:
- Requiring permission to use local storage
- Extension to automatically block access to the storage from certain sites.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

I tell ya MORE BAD will come from all this newer crap than good!! (HTML 5,IpV6,etc)

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Khaine

Premium Member

to Khaine
Interesting article and discussion. My favorite was this:
quote:
Everyone here seems to be dancing around whether opt-OUT is ethical.

My stance is that opt-OUT is NOT ethical ... it FORCES someone to take action just to be kept OFF of a list.

People here are trying to figure out how to get around a mechanism that should NEVER be used.

How about this: Make opt-OUT illegal?

Don't force me to take action to get off your stinking list ... make me take action to get on it by making inclusion something valuable to me ... not just to the advertisers who want to milk my online behavior for more dollars.

I mean, what am I getting as a result of giving up my privacy in this manner? "Better" ad targeting? Give me a break. I assign that a value of -1. Now YOU owe ME because I am paying you more than what you are delivering is worth.

Why discuss ways to get around opt-OUT when the obvious standard should be opt-IN?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Khaine

to Khaine
They are hoping that MOST PEOPLE wont be bothered OPTING OUT and thus end up being tracked,have spam ads,etc.....

Khaine
Australia

Khaine

said by 19579823:

They are hoping that MOST PEOPLE wont be bothered OPTING OUT and thus end up being tracked,have spam ads,etc.....
The majority of people are (sadly) already successfully tracked via normal cookies, flash cookies and web bugs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

to Khaine
Yes you are right about that my friend

Khaine
Australia

Khaine

It looks like this company is now being sued over their usage of HTML5
quote:
A New York-based mobile-web advertising company was hit Wednesday with a proposed class action lawsuit over its use of an HTML5 trick to track iPhone and iPad users across a number of websites, in what is believed to be the first privacy lawsuit of its kind in the mobile space.
»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· kies.ars
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

to Khaine
Wow im amazed!!
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Khaine

Premium Member

to Khaine
This lawsuit is a good news, indeed. I wish them luck.