spc
Search similar:

uniqs
earthquake
join:2010-02-17
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Verizon tech couldn't pinpoint issue?

A Verizon tech came out today to take a look at my connection that randomly drops throughout the day and he said he couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of the issue. He said there was quite a bit of white noise on our line so he installed a whole house filter to take care of that particular issue, but otherwise he couldn't find a thing wrong with our line.

He said he ran every test he could and that we were a little far for the 3mb/768kb plan that we currently have, but that we are indeed getting the full speed of our package and the line was very stable. He also pointed out that it's very odd that when my connection drops, the DSL light stays on and is solid. Anyway, he told me that if my connection continues to drop which it has (twice today since the tech left) then to call Verizon and order a new modem.

Worst case scenario he said was that if the new modem has the same issue then I would have to be bumped down to the 1.6mb/768k package. Any idea what this sounds like folks? Could my issue really just be with the modem?
Tsunami2311
join:2004-01-17
Wilmington, NC

Tsunami2311

Could be the modem, have them reaplce the modem that should be free of charge as long as you return the current one you have.

Of coarse this is verizon and my money is on there service center and or lines. Seeing ever time ( usually every 1 to 2 years dsl becomes dialup for 6 months) I ever had problem it was with there end and usual after 6 month of argue with them that it was there end. They would send tech out to my house just to have that tech call them back up and tell them there nothing wrong on my end, only then did the person on phone talk to some one that admitted it was there end.

So far I had my house lines in and out all the way to the telephone pole rewired 3 times by the tech just to prove mine and the techs point that it was verizon end.

Service is great when it works but if its not and its verizon end they will never admit it.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to earthquake

MVM

to earthquake
Can you provide your modem transceiver statistics for us? If you don't know how to get them, post up which modem you have.

umkay
@tbaytel.net

1 recommendation

umkay to earthquake

Anon

to earthquake
If the connection is intermittent and doesn't loose sync (solid dsl light) then its not a signal issue, it would be intermittent route (bad modem or improper network setup) or slow throughput (virus issues, server issues) or network congestion on the edge routers of verizon...

Unfortunately phone support usually has a hard time proving the 3rd common issue as alot of support agents feel that its not verizons issue as soon as they see full sync rates, have them screenshare and copy trace routes for the mco to put in a ticket... or look for cell errors in their line tests...
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_ANSI_T1.413
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 11.1 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.0 26.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.4 10.1
thom089
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Lakeland, FL

thom089 to earthquake

Premium Member

to earthquake
I had that sort of problem. The technician figured out multi-notch had been turned on my port at the central office. Once they turned that off, my frequent disconnects stopped.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

The tech that came out yesterday gave me a call today and asked if I was still getting disconnected and I told him I was. He said he's almost certain now that it's my modem since my line was stable and he didn't find any issues with it during his visit. Anyway, I'll give Verizon a call tomorrow after work and order a new 7500. After that I only have 3 choices.

1. The new modem does the same thing and I request to be dropped to the 1.6mb/768kb plan for a more stable connection.

2. The new modem does the same thing and I keep it and deal with the disconnects so I keep my 3mb/768kb speeds.

3. The new modem actually fixes the issue.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for this one.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Good luck. Your line does seem to be pretty long, and I also find it rather odd that the line is running under ADSL ANSI T1.413 mode as every Verizon line I've seen with one or two exceptions run at least G.DMT mode.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Smith,

Would you mind explaining what the differences are between the two modes you mentioned?
LairdDrambeg
join:2002-08-30
Denville, NJ

2 recommendations

LairdDrambeg to earthquake

to earthquake
I agree with umkay: if you're not losing the DSL connection then the problem is more likely a loss of PPPoE connection. You need to look at your modem/router logs and do some tests here, e.g. line quality and Tweak Test, before letting them lower your line speed.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

2 edits

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by LairdDrambeg:

I agree with umkay: if you're not losing the DSL connection then the problem is more likely a loss of PPPoE connection.
That's the problem I was having. I figure it was a bad WAN port on my router. Replaced the router and the problem was solved.

EDIT: Although I see the OP's signals are marginal.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Here's the link to the tweak test I just took.

»/tweak ··· a=normal

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

There is nothing wrong with the download speed wise. This is by the way the correct setting to use for the DSL connection with a Tweak Test. Speed is defined in Kilobits, connection type is RouterPPPoE

»/tweak ··· terpppoe

G.DMT and T1.413 are basically two different line modes based around the same standard of ADSL. No real difference in terms of speed with them, but under the hood each tend to perform a little differently. I on;y brought it up since I found it odd to see the modem synced at that and not G.DMT.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Ok folks, Verizon said they will ship a new 7500 out Monday. I'm still confused about all of this though as I'm sure you folks could guess that I'm not a tech savy person. The Verizon tech himself said that my line was more than stable to handle the 3mb/768kb plan even though I'm a little far out. Anyway, here's to hoping the new modem does the trick.
earthquake

earthquake

Verizon sent me a new modem and while the connection is more stable, I'm still getting at least 2 disconnects or freezes each day. I posted this on the Verizon direct forum and the tech is now saying that it must be some kind of software issue on my PC because the modem is reporting no issues with the connection. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I've left my modem on for days at a time without even being hooked up to a PC and the connection (internet light) still dropped randomly.

Also, I'm currently using a new PC with Windows 7 that I just purchased so it's seems pretty odd to me that it's a software/application issue on my end when I have the same problem on two separate PC's running different operating systems. Hell, the connection even dropped while I was registering the new modem. Talk about frustrating. Any ideas folks?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Can you post the statistics the new modem shows? If they didn't improve much, ADSL2+ may help the line out a bit.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

I hate to ask this as I've asked it before, but what is usually the user name and password for 192.168.1.1?

odddon
but it's a dry heat
join:2009-06-19
Ridgecrest, CA

odddon

Unless you've reset it, I believe they're:

admin
password

odddon
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Thanks odddon. I appreciate it.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_ANSI_T1.413
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 9.9 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.0 26.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.2 10.3

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

The line statistics didn't change too much, but it's possible the newer modem is a bit more tolerant to line conditions than the other modem you had was. But anyways, see if you can get Verizon to add ADSL2+ to the line which will help it out at that distance to maintain sync a bit better if you're still getting drop-outs, and if needed, we may need to take FastPath off unless you wish to keep it should you play online games.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

Can I request ADSL2+ through the verizon direct forum?

When the tech came out a few weeks ago he was adamant when he "explained" that if the new modem didn't fix the issue, then I would have no other choice then to drop down to the 1.6mb/768k package.

Sounds like quite a few folks around here have been given the same runaround from verizon. Anyway, I'll ask and see what they can do.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Yes you can. They are probably the best people to go to in regards to such a request.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to earthquake

Premium Member

to earthquake
Getting moved off Fastpath and onto Interleave wouldn't hurt either.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

I requested to have ADSL2+ added. If that doesn't work out then I'll ask to be switched to interleave. The Verizon direct tech noted that ADSL2+ may not be available in my area, but if it is then new equipment will need to be installed on both my end and Verizon's end. What exactly is involved in having ADSL2+ added to my line or in other words, how exactly does it work?

Ani97
@shawcable.net

Ani97

Anon

Just out of curiosity, with your modem does the internet light turn completely off or does it flash when your connections drops.
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

The internet light completely turns off. Funny thing is that with the new modem my connection doesn't seem to drop as much, but it still freezes from time to time during evening hours even without the internet light turning off.
earthquake

earthquake

Verizon called me earlier today and said that a tech would be out tomorrow between 8:00am-12:00pm and that someone must be home. I didn't think they had to do anything on my end since the Westell 7500 is already set up to accept ADSL2+?

Am I missing something or is the tech once again gonna give me the same run around about dropping the speed being the only solution to my problem?
earthquake

earthquake

Well, the Verizon tech just left after working on our box outside for half an hour. Don't know why they said someone had to be home because he just left a note on the door describing what he did instead of knocking and telling me in person. The note read "Replaced and respliced drop wire just before entering phone box on home. If issues continue, call DSL group and request speed downgrade".

Looks like my request on the Verizon Direct forum to have ADSL2+ added to the line fell on deaf ears. Guess I can rule out being switched to Interleave too as a tech will just come to my home again, fiddle around with the phone box and tell me for the third time to "have my speed downgraded". I'm a nice guy, but this is really aggravating folks.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

It's quite possible ADSL2+ is just not available on your line. Unfortunately, some people (not you) just can't seem to get that through their heads.

You neglected to post the most important piece of info though. Have your stats improved any?
earthquake
Rhoadesville, VA

earthquake

I don't mind if ADSL2+ isn't available for my line, but I don't appreciate being told the day before that I needed to be home when I didn't. To top that off, the tech didn't even let me know face to face what he did when my door was open and he obviously knew I was home.