uniqs
phantom6294
join:2002-02-27
Abingdon, MD

phantom6294 to horsemouth1

to horsemouth1

Re: Home Owner's Electrical Test

said by horsemouth1:

Thanks for the drawing now I understand.
Are you using the bits that come in the pack of screws?
The first thing I do with them is throw them away.
said by HarryH3:

A good hammer drill will solve this problem. (Note that I said "good". The POS ones from Harbor Freight don't have the balls to bust through tough aggregate).

Congrats on passing the test!
My father-in-law brought his Craftsman hammer drill. We are using Tapcon screws and bought a longer Tapcon bit to use. Any recommendations on a better brand?

I know the bits are getting dulled; when one hole was giving me trouble, I figured 'what the heck' and grabbed the unused 3/16" masonry bit that came in a Ryobi bit kit and it instantly made progress over the bit I had been using. Each time I grab a new bit things are easy for a while and then things eventually get slow after a hole or two.

We finished framing the wall making the 'work area' and the wall separating the play area (with the closet). We still have to do the upper/lower/right wall in the 'play area'. The house apparently had french drains that the previous owner had filled. As such, along the outside walls, the concrete there seems far less hard to drill through and certainly isn't as deep. As such, it is my hope that the drilling won't be as hard along the three remaining walls. In any case, I'd still prefer to have the best drill bit possible to make sinking that many screws as easy as possible.

Will gladly take recommendations. We're using 1/4" x 2 3/4" Tapcon concrete screws, so the bit is a 3/16" bit.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to phantom6294

MVM

to phantom6294
Lose the Tapcons, they suck ass. Use redheads or get a powder actuated nailer. If you insist on drilling, you can't use regular masonry bits. You need to use "percussion" bits with a hammer drill. Also, you cant drill through wood with masonry bits or percussion bits. They heat up and lose their temper. You need to predrill the sole plate.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1 to phantom6294

Premium Member

to phantom6294
I understand your pain. I only use SDS drill bits from Hilti I am 99.9% sure the drill you are using is not SDS... so that wont do you any good. All I can say is get the best you can afford.
I have done what you are doing more often than I care to remember. I usually use a spike and wire [formwork needs to be striped]
A good bit will help.
phantom6294
join:2002-02-27
Abingdon, MD

phantom6294 to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Lose the Tapcons, they suck ass. Use redheads or get a powder actuated nailer. If you insist on drilling, you can't use regular masonry bits. You need to use "percussion" bits with a hammer drill. Also, you cant drill through wood with masonry bits or percussion bits. They heat up and lose their temper. You need to predrill the sole plate.
Will look into the Red Head drill bits. Your mention of a powder actuated nailer actually reminds me... we tried one, didn't work. My father-in-law had a Remington 476. Now, admittedly, he said he hadn't used his for maybe 10 years, but the cartridges stilled worked for attaching studs to the cinder block wall. When we tried to use it on the floor, the nail bent and about a 1 1/2" diamter, 1/8" deep (at the center, tapering away towards the edges) piece of the floor chipped away. After that, we were hesitant to try it again and stuck to drilling and the screws. Also, we made sure to pre-drill the wood before using the masonry bits.

We ran through his #2 and #3 cartridges but I was planning on buying more since I have more studs to attached to the walls. I guess it's worth trying again.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

1 edit

Rifleman

Premium Member

The ramsets would fire a threaded pin 1 inch into a steel beam. Should be loads and pins for cement for any nailer.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1 to phantom6294

Premium Member

to phantom6294
Red heads require a much bigger hole. MUCH harder to drill.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

And you need far less. An they actually hold. You probably only need 1 Redhead every 4 feet.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1

Premium Member

And hold well,but you don't need to hold the plate down the studs do that.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

said by fcisler:

If you'd like to choke on whatever your drinking/eating look up the cost of a house in suffolk county, on long island...your still looking at $250k for a decent two/three bedroom house with 1/1.5/2 bathrooms in a decent town.

My friend found out that I paid almost $300k for my house and was in amazement....he said in texas he could have bought three huge houses for that!
You've got to be kidding. $250k in my town gets you a 2 bedroom condo on 1 floor with NO garage.

3 bedrooms, 2 baths, runs a minimum of $650k.
Yeah....but you live in Jersey....so I'll pass.... :P