signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[Mp3] Just wanted to post here, Cowon Player D2

I am the recipient of a wonderful Cowon D2 Legacy player, thanks to the amazing generosity of somebody.

I have to say that I thoroughly love this player, I like it much more than any of the others I've had a chance to play with or try out. Better than a Zune, Better than the AAA battery Sandisks, Better than my old iPod mini metal, better than a Creative player, Better than an Archos, Better than an iRiver. No, I haven't been owner of most of those, but I've tried all of them, and admittedly only a few are high end models that I tried, but...

The sound quality even with the very modest IEMs that I have (sub 10 dollar hand me downs that are well rated) is wonderful, just as everyone says. The navigation on it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, though I still have some things to figure out as of yet.

I got Rockbox on it but have to install themes still and the automatic install wouldn't work, I had to do the manual install. My firmware is Cowon 2.59 after my update, done before putting Rockbox on. Rockbox is not fully ready for prime time, but only a couple of guys are developing it for the D2 and it might never get fully stable, who knows. I haven't figured out how to use Rockbox yet, and I know about the manual, but somethings are figured out faster than searching a document for them, heh.

One issue I've had I think is a fault of Jetaudio converter: Voice and Video are out of synch in videos. If anyone can advise me on tips and tricks to using it, let me know please.

Also, I am looking for a good, complete video converter for Linux, preferably a SuSE RPM if possible.

I honestly don't see the complaints about using a screen interface and the way things are mapped. Yeah, maybe some things could be different, but with each successive player improvements come and there isn't really a single negative thing about this player. People have raved about it, much of it justified.

I appreciate that certain person and I will treasure this device.

Some time early next year I hope to get some good IEMs for it (in ear monitors) and would love recommendations for those around 50 bucks or so that have crisp and airy treble, little roll off of either end, good over all sound, over the ear design, and fit well enough. Sound isolation is not as important to me. Neither is sibilance because you really have to turn them up to get it, and it's only on low impedance phones where it is any issue at all. Since this player has a very powerful amp, high impedance phones are fine. I don't know what else to specify about phones, I still don't know what many things are, I haven't yet looked up microphonics yet, for instance.

I have always suggested to people who don't want low price (Sansa), or uber simple with dedicated software (iPod and Zune), but want a REAL player with truly good sound, MSC USB interface (Drag and drop install of files, OS agnostic), with features such as memory card slot, Cowon has it hands down. Some iRivers are good too, but not as good from everything I can gather.

One other comment: Sturdiness without bulk. IMHO, the new iPods are just too thin and easy to break, as was my iRiver E100 which had its screen crack much too easily. The D2 is a little thicker and that is GOOD. Larger battery for longer service time, tougher more resistant case, better electronics.

'nuff said, but if someone reads this, thank you to them!

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

I looked it up, looks like a really cool player.

I've got a Sansa Fuze, which serves the purpose for me.

There are some really good people on this board, and to whoever gifted this, a big thumb's up to you.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Sansa players are so dependable and affordable, and now they are coming out with players that will handle less used formats, which is something I wish all good players did, it is a major selling point of Cowon players. Just try playing a FLAC file on an iPod, heh. Well, if you have a legacy iPod and put Rockbox on it, yeah, but...

The new Sansa Fuze+ handles AAC and FLAC. The D2 handled AAC in early firmwares, but then they removed it from subsequent firmware editions. Not something I miss though. As long as I have OGG, APE, and FLAC along with MP3 and WAV I'm as happy as a Jelly Belly butter flavored Jelly bean (how DO they make them taste like that???)

The Fuze+ comes in purple too, ultra-violet is my color (I can see very near UV, not a common thing, it looks gray to me, like moonlit clouds), but Violet is my second favorite color! We have some purple fans on the site. It is a color both cool and warm at once. It would be a perfect player for my girl, the one in red, her color. Sansa has come a long way.