join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

WalMart is Outrageous!

»consumerist.com/2010/09/ ··· 100.html

Walmart Demands My ID On Credit Card Purchase Over $100
quote:
A reader named Michael wrote in to tell us a recent trip to his local Walmart, where he and his wife picked up a pile of groceries totaling over $100. When his wife attempted to pay with her MasterCard at the register, she was asked for a photo ID.

The cashier said that it was store policy to require ID for all credit card purchases over $100. But if, as Michael says, the card was signed on the back, then the store was in violation of MasterCard's merchant's agreement by demanding to see ID before completing the transaction.

Alas, Michael's wife relented and pulled out her license just to get out of there before the food went bad. But, regardless of what a cashier ever tells you, if a credit card is signed on the back, the merchant can not demand photo ID in order to complete the transaction. There are situations where a merchant may require additional information, such as a zip code, for verifying phone/online/mail orders or for shipping purposes. But they don't need to see your ID in those situations either.
Let this be a lesson to everyone, don't show your ID under any circumstances unless you're buying alcohol/cigs or a cop asks you. Showing your address, DL#, and birth date expose you to ID theft easily!
gregz1
join:2009-10-01

1 edit

gregz1

What they are trying to do, is cover their arse, due to most likely they get a lot of thefts by people kiting checks, and fraudulently using debit & credit cards. There is no way that a signature on the back of a piece of plastic is going to authenticate who you are.

I personally do not mind showing my ID if asked by the cashier, so that they can actually validate by seeing that I am the person who the credit card issuer & my bank gave me the piece of plastic to use.

And no, showing your DL or ID does not make you any more of a victim than using the piece of plastic. Those that want to commit fraud against a person will either be a family member, someone who steals your wallet, or someone skimming cards at a retail establishment.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
I personally respect Wal-Mart for demanding to see a picture ID! Without asking for it may have no way of knowing DME person presenting the card is the owner of the card. I actually always thank a cashier when they ask for ID. Any new card I receive I sign on the back "Ask for ID" and even then quite a few clerks don't ask to see it. Makes me feel real secure!
gregz1

gregz1

You do know that putting "Ask for ID" does nothing, and actually means by the card issuer, that you do not accept their terms under the contract you agreed to. Signing the back in a way, that it makes it hard for someone to copy, is the best way.

Mine, it would take ages for someone to figure out my signature, which is about bad as a doctor filing out a script.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Gbcue

to Gbcue
Wal-Mart has never asked for my Drivers License/ID for any purchase......

EXCEPT.....

when the register prompts them to.

I actually looked at the register when they asked for it.
the register display said "COMPARE SIGNATURES ON SLIP WITH ID"......

Actually, I didn't mind at all. the purchase was $128.89.

I decided to ask management about it... the front end manager said that this verification was something was being bounced over the network FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY asking the cashier to verify for id....
She stated the cashiers only check ID's when the system prompts them to.

Actually think about it . . . If a thief was to steal your card, and it WAS signed, then can duplicate your signature pretty easy. BUT, requesting ID with a picture and a "REAL" signature to compare it to is much more verifiable.

Someone is always balking about asking for ID as a point-of-sale. Everyone should be GLAD cashiers ask.
Sure, it seems like a hassle, but I never resent showing ID, period. Its a safety net for me, and I am sure it protects the retailer from chargebacks as well!

So, get over it, and just show you id if asked!
said by Gbcue:

»consumerist.com/2010/09/ ··· 100.html

Walmart Demands My ID On Credit Card Purchase Over $100
quote:
A reader named Michael wrote in to tell us a recent trip to his local Walmart, where he and his wife picked up a pile of groceries totaling over $100. When his wife attempted to pay with her MasterCard at the register, she was asked for a photo ID.

The cashier said that it was store policy to require ID for all credit card purchases over $100. But if, as Michael says, the card was signed on the back, then the store was in violation of MasterCard's merchant's agreement by demanding to see ID before completing the transaction.

Alas, Michael's wife relented and pulled out her license just to get out of there before the food went bad. But, regardless of what a cashier ever tells you, if a credit card is signed on the back, the merchant can not demand photo ID in order to complete the transaction. There are situations where a merchant may require additional information, such as a zip code, for verifying phone/online/mail orders or for shipping purposes. But they don't need to see your ID in those situations either.
Let this be a lesson to everyone, don't show your ID under any circumstances unless you're buying alcohol/cigs or a cop asks you. Showing your address, DL#, and birth date expose you to ID theft easily!

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

I don't know about you, but I keep my card and wallet together so if somebody stole my card, they have also stolen my ID.

All they need to do is print out a picture of themselves, glue it over the existing picture, and viola, your ID is essentially stolen.
gregz1

gregz1

said by Gbcue:

I don't know about you, but I keep my card and wallet together so if somebody stole my card, they have also stolen my ID.

All they need to do is print out a picture of themselves, glue it over the existing picture, and viola, your ID is essentially stolen.
Only if your state still issues the older style paper driver's license, which have not been issued in over twenty years for most states.

Best Credit Cards & Debit cards out there, are the ones with the card holder's picture placed in the upper left corner, so that the merchant can see that the person who holds the card is the person presenting it to them.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by gregz1:
said by Gbcue:

Only if your state still issues the older style paper driver's license, which have not been issued in over twenty years for most states.

Best Credit Cards & Debit cards out there, are the ones with the card holder's picture placed in the upper left corner, so that the merchant can see that the person who holds the card is the person presenting it to them.
I wish every company did this. My COSTCO AMEX does.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

2 edits

Omega to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
I thought the recent credit card legislation made it okay for stores to ask for ID.

I other words, this argument that pops up on this forum every couple of months should now be moot.

Personally, showing an ID doesn't bother me, but I refuse to let my bag get checked as I exit the store.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by Omega:

I thought the recent credit card legislation made it okay for stores to ask for ID.

I other words, this argument that pops up on this forum every couple of months should now be moot.

Personally, showing an ID doesn't bother me, but I refuse to let my bag get checked as I exit the store.
I thought recent legislation made it 'okay' to have a minimum before you can use your CC and/or charge a fee.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

Oh maybe that was it. Hopefully someone can clarify.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

nightshade74 to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
said by Omega:

Interesting... Link? All the summaries I see they're
requiring ID for the bank to OPEN the account.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

2 recommendations

mocycler to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
First off, the consumerist is whiny "all big corporations suck" rant site thinly disguised as legitimate consumer reviews and information. Anything they say is automatically suspicious, if not outright horse shit.

Notice that this article cites no sources and no effort is made to verify the story. It does not mention which Walmart store this incident allegedly occurred in, or even the state. It's just some second-hand story sent in by a guy named "Michael". If it was your kid's high school journalism class assignment, it would get an F on that basis alone.

Secondly, you gotta love the self righteous clowns who want to parry with a store clerk as if they were a Supreme Court justice over an inoffensive request such as checking an ID. The identity theft concerns fall way short, as there is nothing on a driver's license that cannot be found elsewhere anyway.

He can call Mastercard and cry about his "rights", but that will not help in the short term. I'm glad I wasn't in line behind this asshole.

mocycler

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

compuguybna

Just show you're freaking ID if asked. Don't be a prick about it (not referring to any specific previous poster...just in general).

No sense of hassling store clerks when they're just doing what they're told.

I doubt the clerk remembers nothing about the your transaction or anything off your id when they begin the transaction.

The idea a previous poster said about a cashier writing down information off your transaction (or writing down your card #) is a little farfetched.

there are plenty of cameras in any store to watch the cashier and customers as well.

If you don't like showing ID at stores when they ask you, DON'T SHOP THERE!