spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garrison0418

join:2010-09-10
Tampa, FL

[Internet] Internet Sluggish- "US" light flashing

Whenever my 20/2 internet connection gets sluggish I notice the "US" light on the router is flashing.I call and the tech remotely resets the router and all is well for a short time.I have a tech coming out this afternoon. Is the flashing "US" light an indication of a router failure? What does it mean?

botld92z9

join:2006-07-14
Winter Springs, FL
kudos:1
said by garrison0418:

Whenever my 20/2 internet connection gets sluggish I notice the "US" light on the router is flashing.I call and the tech remotely resets the router and all is well for a short time.I have a tech coming out this afternoon. Is the flashing "US" light an indication of a router failure? What does it mean?
It would depend on the modem. I know on mine the blinking US (upstream) light would mean it is still ranging and thus not connected.

I know modems will blink the downstream and upstream (DS and US) lights to signify that data is passing... so it could be bad or good depending on the modem.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
reply to garrison0418
Rather than speculating lets allow the tech to do his job this afternoon and hopefully resolve the issue

garrison0418

Tampa, FL
signal level was -8 tech installed powered signal booster on inside dmarc now at +3. The normal $50 cost of signal booster. was waived. The integrated RCA modem are sensitive to weak signals per the tech. Will monitor. speed 19.7/1.8m

Spirit

@rr.com
reply to garrison0418
Your speeds from the BHN Speedtest? If not, what site? I have the RCA Modem\Router....the prior Arris and NetGear Router from a speed standpoint worked better for me...the problem, the netgear kept loosing wireless connectivity and BH replaced it the 2 units with the RCA\Combo unit. I am told BH no longer offers a separate Router.....they only offer the Combo units....

garrison0418

Tampa, FL

3 edits
problem back again tech coming back »speedtest.tampabay.rr.com 14274/1726 avg for 3 tests. Should I ask for different vendor modem?

Spirit

@rr.com
I just tested mine at that site....(20/2 Service)the results are slower than I normally see...so perhaps there are some system issues going on. I have never liked hardware that combines services. I prefer hardware that is dedicated to 1 process. You may want to ask BH if they will try out a Arris Modem and separate Router.....it never hurts to try it to see if its an improvement. If they agree to install separate units; report back and let us know.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to garrison0418
said by garrison0418:

problem back again tech coming back »speedtest.tampabay.rr.com 14274/1726 avg for 3 tests. Should I ask for different vendor modem?
And these were wired tests not using wireless right?

garrison0418

Tampa, FL

1 edit
tech popped battery , power reset modem,. back in sync speed test now over 26427 / 1.944 .tech called supervisor he was advised multiple customers similar problems and cause is at the bright house hub.THIS IS NOT A MODEM ISSUE. I live near Dale Mabry/Waters

garrison0418

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
wired sir

Spirit

@rr.com
reply to garrison0418
What is Power Reset.....I have the RCA Modem\Router unit....was it just popping out the Battery...and disconnecting the Power....Just taking out the Battery would have no affect since its still connected to house power (or, Battery out and pushing Reset).....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to garrison0418
said by garrison0418:

wired sir
Thank you...just checking...I never assume anything Also check your PM.

garrison0418

Tampa, FL
4 hours no problems . I wonder what was changed at the hub.

garrison0418

Tampa, FL
woke up noticed problem is back. tech support aware and investigating. ISPgeek I got your PM

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by garrison0418:

woke up noticed problem is back. tech support aware and investigating. ISPgeek I got your PM
No problem...let me know.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

1 edit
-8 signal wouldnt have been your issue anyways. above -9 is in spec, I have seen -11,-12 work fine for people.. Must have been a contractor that came out?

now that I read it again, if the DS light was solid that makes it pretty obvious that the recieve signal isnt the issue.. Assuming it wasnt a network related issue it would have been transmit related.

garrison0418

Tampa, FL

1 edit
US light still continues to switch between solid and flashing. At this time it is NOT affecting connection or speeds.

bhnbussol

join:2010-06-16
Port Orange, FL
reply to garrison0418
this sounds like a high upstream problem or a return problem

botld92z9

Winter Springs, FL
reply to garrison0418
can you check signals in your browser for the RCA like you can the other modems?

the IP for SA modems is 192.168.100.1

Green

join:2010-03-15
reply to tim tim tim
I realize many responses within this thread are not always correct, but I am a bit confused. I have the the RCA DWG855T...it replaced an Arris Modem and netgear Router which had a problem. I have not liked my Browsing experience since the change out....it is not as quick or as smooth as when I had the 2 units. But what is confusing is the discussion of the RCA's Lights. As to Upstream and Downstream,...my DS Light remains solid....I have never seen it Blink whereas my US Light is always Blinking. Is this as it should be?

Is it true that for BH Combo Customers (Cable\Phone\Internet)...the RCA is the only equipment BH is installing...there is nothing else...combo init or separate Modem & Router?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
said by Green:

I realize many responses within this thread are not always correct, but I am a bit confused. I have the the RCA DWG855T...it replaced an Arris Modem and netgear Router which had a problem. I have not liked my Browsing experience since the change out....it is not as quick or as smooth as when I had the 2 units. But what is confusing is the discussion of the RCA's Lights. As to Upstream and Downstream,...my DS Light remains solid....I have never seen it Blink whereas my US Light is always Blinking. Is this as it should be?

Is it true that for BH Combo Customers (Cable\Phone\Internet)...the RCA is the only equipment BH is installing...there is nothing else...combo init or separate Modem & Router?
You want my honest opinion of the blinky lights....don't look at them...they will pull you in and make you crazy. Some are going to blink fast, some slow, some not at all. The only thing you should be concerned about is NO lights or ALL lights (twinkling at once). The first issue being the obvious no power or dead modem and the second being you didn't pay your bill and they have init-d'd your modem. (aka disconnected your service). Beyond that treat those lights like a Medusa....if you look at them you will turn to stone.

Green

join:2010-03-15
I honestly never looked at these lights (US & DS) as they were meaningless to me until I saw this Thread and did take the time to notice them. I did always think the lights signal activity....so upon US and DS actions the light blinking was good signalling the activity as taking place. That is why after I noticed them today...and the DS Never Blinks and the US Blinks all the time, based on what I thought I knew...this seemed strange. When You call BH....seems to me the Recording asks if a Certain Light is Blinking or not...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Green:

I honestly never looked at these lights (US & DS) as they were meaningless to me until I saw this Thread and did take the time to notice them. I did always think the lights signal activity....so upon US and DS actions the light blinking was good signalling the activity as taking place. That is why after I noticed them today...and the DS Never Blinks and the US Blinks all the time, based on what I thought I knew...this seemed strange. When You call BH....seems to me the Recording asks if a Certain Light is Blinking or not...
If you are having a problem and you are directed to check the status of specific indicators that's one thing but to constantly check them and worry about the status of a particular issue with no obvious problems is bad. It's like speed testing or defragging your hard drive too much. People tend to become OCD about it and thats when it becomes a problem...a big problem.

botld92z9

Winter Springs, FL
reply to Green
said by Green:

When You call BH....seems to me the Recording asks if a Certain Light is Blinking or not...
they ask if your cable or online light is blinking, off or solid.

Reason being is if it's off or blinking you have no signal/bad signal to the modem and have a cable issue and need to be routed to the local office. if your online/cable light is on solid you may have a software/configuration issue and need to speak to road runner national help desk.

that's why i've mentioned a few times if you have an intermittent signal related issue to tell the automated message that your cable light is off/blinking to be routed to the local office.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by botld92z9:

said by Green:

When You call BH....seems to me the Recording asks if a Certain Light is Blinking or not...
they ask if your cable or online light is blinking, off or solid.

Reason being is if it's off or blinking you have no signal/bad signal to the modem and have a cable issue and need to be routed to the local office. if your online/cable light is on solid you may have a software/configuration issue and need to speak to road runner national help desk.

that's why i've mentioned a few times if you have an intermittent signal related issue to tell the automated message that your cable light is off/blinking to be routed to the local office.
Ah yes they do and I totally forgot about that ONE light. Shows how often I look at my modem (which is never btw).

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Green

garrison0418

Tampa, FL

1 edit
thank you ISPGeek for your help. all is running well so I will ignore the flashing US light whenever it happens if that is the only symptom

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to garrison0418
Check pm when you get a moment

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to garrison0418
said by garrison0418:

thank you ISPGeek for your help. all is running well so I will ignore the flashing US light whenever it happens if that is the only symptom
Anytime!!! you know where to reach me if you need anything at all