Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

Is RR's e-mail server having problems?

After logging into my RR webmail account: "An unrecognized error was returned from the mail system. Please try again later."

Even POP3 doesn't work through an e-mail client and telnet:
$ telnet pop-server.roadrunner.com 110
Trying 75.180.132.91...
Connected to pop-server.roadrunner.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 server ready.
user myusernamedeleted
+OK please send PASS command
pass mypasswordeleted
Connection closed by foreign host.

Or is it just me? Thank you in advance.
cablesurfer
join:2000-02-05
Thousand Oaks, CA

cablesurfer

My RR email has been down for about 7 hours now. I called the toll free tech support # and there is a msg. that they are aware of the email issues and are working on it.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by cablesurfer:

My RR email has been down for about 7 hours now. I called the toll free tech support # and there is a msg. that they are aware of the email issues and are working on it.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I checked on »help.rr.com/HMSLogic/net ··· tus.aspx too.

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Yup, got the same 'error' when I tried last night about 10:30 or so. This has happened before.
Seems ok now... but no emails for me

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
This is another reason to have a third party e mail account. I use GMail since it works so very well and I can access my GMail accounts through my Windows Live Mail or Outlook since GMail is a pop-server type e mail. I hardly ever go to the GMail site online to see my e mails, but I can. And furthermore, GMail has a great junk e mail filter. If you change service providers, GMail stays the same.

Suzlet
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Suzlet to LadyL

Anon

to LadyL
I can access my main email account but not my secondary one. I hope that since this is Sunday morning, they are just doing some server maintenance and that all will be well in a few hours.
A more helpful error message would really be appreciated.
isamu99
join:2004-03-10
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

isamu99 to antdude

to antdude
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Thought it was just me.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

It seems to be back online now.

I don't use RR's e-mails either, but my POP3 checker was complaining. :P

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

This is my only email system that I use...I don't 'do' email like most people...if I'm lucky, I get maybe 10 emails/month. I use it for Amazon purchases (dvds), confirmation of bills pd, etc.
cel26
join:2003-03-25
usa

cel26 to antdude

to antdude
Email out in Upstate NY near Albany also. Only some of my accounts noticed it since 4am 9/12

Called National Desk couldn't get through calling local desk they acknowledge outage.

NCGator
@rr.com

NCGator to antdude

Anon

to antdude
having the same problem in Raleigh NC - one account get the same error as reported earlier "An unrecognized error was returned from the mail system. Please try again later." but my other accounts seem to be fine. Does anyone have an update from TWC?

clever1
@hp.com

clever1 to antdude

Anon

to antdude
I'm in Ireland and thought it was due to being in a different country. Obviously, I am not alone. It has been out since 9am here (4am US eastern time). Hope it gets back on soon. I don't have a list of people's emials and need to send a few.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
Time Warner has one of the best anti junk mail features around, regionalized domain names. As a science experiment, years ago I created a Gmail account. I didn’t give the address out to anyone and I didn’t submit it in any form online. I forgot about it and checked it for the first time a week later. Over 100 SPAM emails. Funny in the 6 years I’ve had Road Runner I have received absolutely zero SPAM messages and never configured the filters in Outlook either.. I don’t think SPAM bots care about email addresses ending in @rochester.rr.com as opposed to gmail.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com or aol.com. And other people have this email address, it’s the one I use for Amazon, Redbox, Sprint, Bank of America, Time Warner and other companies I trust. Road Runner gets all my priority email, Yahoo is for things that require an email address and now I have to use my Gmail account since it’s tied to the Android operating system.

dccjr
@rr.com

dccjr to antdude

Anon

to antdude
Sunday, 2:00 EST, Raleigh, NC, TWC roadrunner email out here, too. Don't know how long, haven't checked email since Friday. Anyone have any info on problem and/or TWC repair estimates?

in Raleigh
@rr.com

in Raleigh

Anon

National help desk said they do not know when the system will be fixed. I complained about them not having some sort of notice or alert on the web mail login page or on the phone.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
I use GMail almost exclusively Stevie. I am not going to post any screen shots of my GMail Spam folder here, but GMail is doing a wonderful job of catching it all IF I get any. I have Windows Live Mail configured to get my GMail from 4, yes 4 different GMail accounts. And I also have Outllok configured for the fifth GMail account that is only for family e mail. I get ZERO spam in my Windows Live mail client and ZERO spam in my Outlook. GMail is reliable, free and efficient. On the very rare occasion that I do check my GMail at the website I see that their very efficient system has caught all of the spam. (GMail is targeted by the spammers because it is such a big target compared to RR mail.) And by free I mean that you do not have to pay extra in order to enable the pop features of their servers. It is a wonderful e mail service. Trust me, I have tried many.

And oh yes, I just checked all four of my GMail accounts at the website. One had 1 spam e mail in the Spam folder and the other four had absolutely none and this was the first time that I have checked any of the accounts online in about two weeks.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Yo, ease up on the friggen hostility dude! Just stating a few things.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Steve, I wasn't being hostile at all.

mjs
@rr.com

mjs to antdude

Anon

to antdude
Glad I found this site...goodness knows there's nothing on the RR site. Yeesh. I'm 332 in the help chat queue...down from 498. Yay? Seriously...they should post something on the main-page. Thank goodness MOST people use my gmail account these days. A few stick-in-the-muds still use my nc.rr account

grrrrrr.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by mjs :

Glad I found this site...goodness knows there's nothing on the RR site. Yeesh. I'm 332 in the help chat queue...down from 498. Yay? Seriously...they should post something on the main-page. Thank goodness MOST people use my gmail account these days. A few stick-in-the-muds still use my nc.rr account

grrrrrr.
Change those stick in the muds over to your GMail account. The RR e mail is still having issues ?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Change those stick in the muds over to your GMail account. The RR e mail is still having issues ? "

My understanding is that the issues related to some email accounts is resolved.

Hob

unsatisfied to antdude

Anon

to antdude
9:36 PM in Central Florida (Orlando, Melbourne, Titusville, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach and probably the Tampa area too! Email has been down all day. Brighthouse and RoadRunner are clueless, unfortunately they are the only high speed game around or I'd be dropping them.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie

said by unsatisfied :

9:36 PM in Central Florida (Orlando, Melbourne, Titusville, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach and probably the Tampa area too! Email has been down all day. Brighthouse and RoadRunner are clueless, unfortunately they are the only high speed game around or I'd be dropping them.
No email issues today in Tampa Bay.

mjs
@rr.com

mjs to antdude

Anon

to antdude
Still having problems. At least... it was a few moments ago. I am 64th in the queue! I'm also tired...and ought to get to bed. Can't decide if I'm going to give up or hang in there...

gatorproblem to antdude

Anon

to antdude
Of two central Florida, Orlando RR mailboxes the primary one has been down for approximately 24 hours now except for one single outgoing message it took. The other we were able to get a few messages late this afternoon. This morning got thru on the phone, virtually no information except after almost 20 min and putting me on hold again they acknowledged they were having a problem. Later tried the online chat . . somewhere around 400 people ahead in the cue, you can't just leave a message and leave they expect you to just hang on for over 40 min just to leave a message that their system isn't up.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

In the North East the issues appear to have been resolved, my apologies if other areas still have mail issues.

To be honest with that sort of wait times if they are email related i doubt I would hang in there, if there are issues I am sure someone knows and its being worked.

Hob

SDPerson
@rr.com

SDPerson to antdude

Anon

to antdude
FYI, In the UTC/San Diego area zip 92122, email is still not working at 7:30PM PDT 09/12/2010. It stopped working sometime yesterday, worked briefly and intermittently last night and was not working today all day. The status page shows yellow (scheduled maintenance) for most local areas and red (outage) in some.

The status reports for this system are so brief and useless they are a disgrace. The queue for the chat last I looked was 392 long! This doesn't happen often but when it does, it's usually on the weekend, so much so, one could call it "weekend syndrome" (and holidays too). I think it has to do with understaffing and with senior people who really know the system being off and away on weekends. I can't prove it though.

It certainly proves that one can't depend on anything internet-- that's why I still get *yuch* paper credit card and bank statements. -end of rant

mga
@rr.com

mga to gatorproblem

Anon

to gatorproblem
having trouble with email in Palm Coast/Daytona area all day

unsatisfied to antdude

Anon

to antdude
At one point today I was # 422 in the chat queue. Pop email is failing all day. "
"Task 'Brighthouse - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)." So I contact my ISP (BrightHouse) and they as usual are clueless. I try RR web mail and get "An unrecognized error was returned from the mail system. Please try again later." I don't know why they can't display a message stating "You may be having problems with your email. This problem is not caused by your Internet connection, your routing equipment, or your email client. The problem is caused because we at Road Runner just generally suck and don't give a damn about your precious email no matter what class of service you may have with your ISP. And Oh, By The Way, your service provider markets your email accounts to you as a free service, therefore do not expect any refunds, discounts or prorating of your service just because we suck and can not provide you with your precious email service. Have a nice day."

CalDODITPro to SDPerson

Anon

to SDPerson
Central California and I can attest that our situation has been much the same as that noted by SDPerson. 7:48PM PDT and email is still down.

Mail client returns an error message of: "The POP server pop-server.bak.rr.com rejected the password for user xxx"

RoadRunner webmail returns: "An unrecognized error was returned from the mail system. Please try again later. " I've tried, and tried, and tried "again later". 24 hours later and the same issue and messages.

Got in queue for Chat Support at #451 earlier today while I attended to other business. Finally connected with an "analyst" (not a technician) who, as expected, made entirely inappropriate responses from his "scripts". He did acknowledge that there as an email outage in "your local area" and, per his script, said he "understood my concern and frustration". I pointed out that his was a national outage and offered the URL to this thread as proof. When I responded with a few American/English colloquialisms, he was nonplussed and did not know how to respond. Can you say outsourced?

I have sent myself several emails from other email accounts as a test to see if they have lost any of my emails if, and when, they get it back up.