uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL
reply to removed

Re: What to do about people breaking into my car..

I know he has a problem with his car and not his house, I was generalizing. What I was getting at is that using a gun these days isn't a good idea unless you're in a life threatening emergency.

-Dragasoni-
--
»www.youtube.com/user/dragasoni

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

Yeah, I understand that, but what's the point? You're comparing apples to oranges here.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

garage

@verizon.net
reply to clevere1

Can you park IN your garage?

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to clevere1

You could do what James Bond did with his "Burglar Protected" Lotus:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmpBYcM06Sk

To test your alarm, just activate it when you're inside, then open the door.

Eyeballs
Premium
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA
reply to clevere1

said by clevere1:

said by dispatcher21:

But on a serious note. We use Varda alarms in bait cars to catch vehicle prowlers, I am sure they have a civilian equivelant so that when someone enters your car, it calls your phone or something so you can catch them in the act.
Nope, I just checked. I wish my local police department gave a shit and would come down and check out the car. The thing is all leather so there HAD to be a finger print if they didn't wear gloves.
It's not that your police dept doesn't care. it comes down to man power. On any given night, a city can have dozens of car breaks. if the Detectives Bureau had to process them, then they would have no time for anything else. Small towns are a different issue. They have no or little backlog.

My dept doesn't even process stolen cars anymore due to man power issues. We just call the owner and have them come pick it up.

Plus, you'd not have your car until it got processed. Then it'll be covered with the dust, which does not clean easily. And all that for a 5% chance you'll get a usable print.

Best bet is, one, prevention. Keep the valuables out of sight. Two, Lights. Light up the driveway. Criminals hate lights.

If you are going to try and record them, an over the head shot will do no good other than tell you the number of people and the time they came. You'll need something with decent resolution shooting at face height to get a decent pic of the guy to give to the PD.
--
Team Discovery--BBR Team Helix--Cuz I Care!!
Expand your moderator at work

retired17
Premium
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA
reply to clevere1

My local police says even if they are caught they will at worst spend a few months in jail and be back on the street. So the best thing to do as suggested is to prevent the burglary in the first place with any means at your disposal.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to clevere1

Lights, light, lights.... with motion detectors if better.

If I read it correctly, they are breaking in at night. Want to know why they do this at night? Because it's dark and people can't see them.

You need to make your vehicles less attractive to them then the other vehicles in the area.

If this is going on in the area then perhaps it might be time to see if people want to start up a neighborhood watch.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 edit
reply to clevere1

Ok answer this again just to be 100% clear. They are breaking into your wife's van even though it is locked every time, correct? Are you sure it's locked? Is one of the electric locks broken and doesn't really lock even if you press the button? Are the locks missing pins, that is, can you stick any key into one of them and turn it and the lock opens even though it's the wrong key? You need to check this out if you haven't.

pp03

join:2002-06-13

1 recommendation

reply to clevere1

I'm under the impression that gun ownership in the North and South is relatively the same. The more logical distinction is rural versus urban. Usually urban yuppies are unarmed and the criminals are. In rural life, it's hard to find someone that doesn't have a gun. I've never locked the doors on my house or car and never had an issue.

I think the exceptions to gun ownership would be the North East and West coast.

I'm from Minnesota and the University I attended had and still has a gun rooms on campus for students to store their rifles, so I would argue until the end the assertion that Northerners don't carry guns.

Although, I think a lot of people that don't own guns, or those that own them but don't care to know any better, don't realize how dangerous it is, legally, to use them.

Basically, the only time to use a gun is when you fear that your life is in immediate danger of ending. Even then, you better be ready to prove that to no end, it will be a battle. What weapons did he have? Was he coming at you? Did you ask him to stop? What did he say? etc.

In other words, don't ever shoot at someone to warn them. You only shoot someone to kill them. You better be so damn scared for your life that you finish them off or you're going to spend a lot of time in prison.

Just my 2 cents because of all the 'get a gun, shoot 'em in the butt' mentality.
--
"He should not have use his own cc. Crime does pay, you just got to be more smart about it."-silentlooker

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to horsemouth

said by horsemouth:

Are you sure you have an alarm and not just key less entry and an Immobilizer?
I believe this may be the case. I know my wife's '04 Sienna did not come with a factory alarm. She has an '08 now, but I'm not sure it has one, either. The remote has a "red" button, but I think that's just a panic alarm, not a car alarm.

To check, you could leave a window down and lock the car with the remote. Open the door and see if an alarm goes off.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to pp03

You said: "You only shoot someone to kill them."

I would have to disagree with you, in my concealed handgun license course we were advised that we should shoot to stop the actor.

As for time in prison, if the shooting was righteous in Texas, you be protected by the castle doctrine, which among other things removes the requirement to retreat from an actor. The castle doctrine further protects you from law suits brought by either the actor, or his family. Grand juries don't often indict someone who was with in the law when they shot the actor.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to clevere1

That is correct, the red button is a panic button.

However this gives an interesting idea, stakeout the car and when someone comes up to it. flip on the flood lights and hit the panic button.

Other fun, a speaker system and the sound of gun fire on a motion sensor with the flood light.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

stlouisdsl1

join:2001-06-10
Saint Peters, MO
reply to clevere1

Back in the 80's I had a guy break into my car and steal my stereo head unit, amp and speakers. He was caught by police trying to sell the stuff at a local convenience store and I got it all back.

I re-installed the equipment but had a feeling he might come back for it again so this time I lined the amps heat sinks with razor blades. The amp was mounted in a way you had to reach up blindly under the dask and pull it out.

About a week later sure enough everything got stolen again this time though I found blood splattered all over the interior so I guess the razor blades did the job, unfortunately I still lost all the equipment

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 recommendation

reply to clevere1

I don't know your situation, but around here dogs make great guards and fine deterrents. If you have a dog you might consider tying him up near the car at night, at least for a little while. If you don't have a dog you might consider borrowing one for a while and doing the same - hopefully one that's big enough to look and sound intimidating, but he doesn't really have to be. Our otherwise friendly and frisky little Cocker Spaniel (who is at least ten years old now, but still looks and acts like a puppy in a lot of ways) will get majorly territorial if she senses strangers about. Even people who thought she was just being loud and noisy and wouldn't actually bite them have found out otherwise, which is why it's usually better to have a bigger dog which can intimidate by sight and sound alone. A recording of a dog (you can buy security gadgets which already have this) might work just as well.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to stlouisdsl1

You need to be careful with doing stuff like that since it is a booby trap. The cousin of one of the guys I worked with did that with his stereo head end, only he used fish hooks. Came out one morning to find the guy with his hand still hooked to the stereo - care to guess who sued and who lost?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to clevere1

If you leave the car unlocked it will not be broken into.

If you don't leave things of value in the car, they will not be stolen.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to removed

said by removed:

The OP has problems with someone breaking into his car -- not his house. Washington state is (in practice) a "stand your ground" state. Also, see the applicable Washington state law:
said by WA RCW 9A.16.020 :
The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

My interpretation of (4) is that pointing a weapon at a trespasser / suspected auto burglar would be "legal" in order to detain them. It's probably not a good idea though -- I definitely wouldn't draw on someone in such a situation.
This is an incorrect interpretation, and is highly out of context. (4) applies to breaking-and-entering situations involving physical property (a house, barn, tract of land, etc.), not property-of-ownership (car, helicopter, etc.). Otherwise, see your attorney for proper interpretation.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

way2evil
Premium
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY
reply to clevere1

said by clevere1:

said by Irun Man:

We've been through this ad nauseum with some jerk that was breaking into vehicles in our lot recently, returning about once a week for another fix. Between UC police stakeouts and video surveillance we FINALLY nabbed the perp... guy had a long rap sheet too.

First and foremost, ALWAYS lock your vehicle and don't leave ANY electronics or other items of value in sight inside. If a thief doesn't see anything worth taking they probably won't risk breaking glass or setting off an alarm on a whim. That BT headset was probably half way to his or her next dime bag, so conceal ALL you plan to leave in your car.
The funny thing is, NOTHING was in view. Since the car is new to us, we've not left anything visible in it. They left the GPS that was in the car but took the headset.

The cars are always locked and the alarms armed.

I live in a townhouse and the front of the house doesn't face the garage. I have 1 camera connected to a computer with a view of a driveway and some motion sensors on it. I just installed a black and white camera today.. I don't think I will get anything usable from them though.. it's hard to install cameras to get a view of the face...

So you have a garage? Why are the cars not in the garage?

What you need to do:
1) Lights, lights, and more lights. Light up your driveway so people will question whether or not it is day time.
2) Motion detectors. I use a Voice Alert System-6 and it works great. All the detectors run off 9v batteries and the base can handle quite a few of them (up to 8 I believe).
3) Check your alarms. Open your window, lock the car, and open the door. If the alarm does not go off, you have no alarm.

24/7 video surveillance is absolutely useless because all you will see is some guy breaking into your car. You wont make a face, and even if you do, unless you know who it is, you wont be able to do anything with it. Unless you are willing to drop serious money into a CCTV setup you will just see a dark figure breaking into your car.

way2evil
Premium
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

If you don't leave things of value in the car, they will not be stolen.
People who do not own your car do NOT belong in your car under any circumstances.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium
join:2007-01-20

1 edit
reply to Parogadi

said by Parogadi:

I vote booby trap the car, maybe tear gas grenades in the seat that have to be deactivated by hitting some combo on the dash.
Did you see "For Your Eyes Only" like Bobcat suggested?

THAT.
--
The farther one travels, the less one knows.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

I know someone who got tired of his windows being broken and his radio stolen, so he started leaving his car unlocked. That way they'd steal the radio, but at least they wouldn't break his windows.

He came out to his car one morning to find a homeless woman sitting in the driver's seat. He had to pay her a dollar to get her to leave! But he said the worst part was that she was smoking in the car, so it smelled like cigarettes.
--
Critics are asking if Megyn Kelly blows goats.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to stlouisdsl1

said by stlouisdsl1:

I lined the amps heat sinks with razor blades.
I know someone else who got tired of his engine control module being stolen from his Cavalier. So he had the mechanic weld it in place. When the thieves found out it was welded, they cut all the wires leading to it. So he had to replace the wiring harness, which cost more than the control module!
--
Critics are asking if Megyn Kelly blows goats.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to clevere1

said by clevere1:

Ok, so I live in an average neighborhood. There are families here and most people are friendly. We've had a couple of incidents lately of car prowling.

The first time, they didn't take anything, the car wasn't locked, our fault.

A few months have gone by and we got a new car. Last night the car was locked and the alarm armed. There are two cars in the driveway and they keep getting into my wifes van. Today I noticed that someone had been in the car and our bluetooth headset and $0.25 were missing. I've got a webcam looking down at the cars and a camera you hook up to a VCR hooked up outside now...

I've filed police reports twice. What else can I do? Seriously.
I like the idea of a shot gun tied to the inside of the door, but that's not legal in most states...
--
GUN CONTROL:
using both hands

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

But he said the worst part was that she was smoking in the car, so it smelled like cigarettes.
Well, at least she didn't urinate and vomit in the car.

Bobcat79
Premium

said by graysonf:

said by Bobcat79:

But he said the worst part was that she was smoking in the car, so it smelled like cigarettes.
Well, at least she didn't urinate and vomit in the car.
Probably left lice behind.

chris22

join:2002-06-07
Indianapolis, IN

1 edit
reply to removed

deleted