exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1

Re: What to do about people breaking into my car..

I would recommend surveillance cameras.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

3 edits

ctceo to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Well, depends on how serious you are about defending your property. I'd quote Exodus 22:2, but I'm ignostic so that'd make me a hypocrite and I don't think it's always the right answer/response anyway.

Get

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· w&fmt=22
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

scross to Dragasoni

to Dragasoni
said by Dragasoni:

You provide so many examples of how much better the north is! Also, I'd rather walk through the streets of New Orleans rather than any road in the Bronx or Newark. Just saying...

-Dragasoni-
Detective Exocet_cm may disagree, but the impression I got from my recent trips to New Orleans is that most of the low-lifes got shipped out with the hurricane evacuation, and have either never bothered to come back or are currently rotting in jail in Texas or wherever. Me, I just adopted my usual "I'm from Memphis, y'all, so don't even think about messin' with me!" swagger and I never really felt unsafe, but I tried not to do anything dangerous or stupid. My wife and daughter (especially my daughter) found parts of the French Quarter to be quite "intense", though.

Back to the OP's problem: if you live in snake country, how about buying a fake snake and putting it on the driver's seat - and maybe one on the passenger's seat, too, for good measure. If you can find a fake rattlesnake, maybe you could even rig up a "rattler" sound to go along with it. That could provide endless fun!

I've used the old underwear trick myself, to protect valuables that I was concerned about. No self-respecting person is ever going to voluntarily put their hands on what could be another man's dirty, stinky drawers, no matter how badly they want what they think may be hidden in there. I believe someone makes fake dirty diapers which could be used the same way.

Another trick which works well (especially for keeping a car from being stolen) is to keep that puppy junked up quite a bit, with fake (see the diaper comment above) or even real trash (if you can stand it - be sure to throw out any old food contents first). Most car thieves will move along to another vehicle which is cleaner.

None of the above may work if you are dealing with desperate drug addicts!

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu
said by koitsu:

This is an incorrect interpretation, and is highly out of context. (4) applies to breaking-and-entering situations involving physical property (a house, barn, tract of land, etc.), not property-of-ownership (car, helicopter, etc.). Otherwise, see your attorney for proper interpretation.
You're right. I managed to miss the "real" in "real property" last night. Good catch.
AricBrown
join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX

AricBrown to clevere1

to clevere1
Washington

The statute in Washington state appears to be very simply and broadly stated.[20]

The law allows use of deadly force in the lawful defense of oneself, a family member, or any other person, when there is reasonable ground to prevent action(s) of the person slain to commit a felony or to do injury or harm, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or in the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, on those in their presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which they are.

Washington state doesn’t have a specific Castle Doctrine law, but has no duty to retreat as precedent was set when the State Supreme Court found "that there is no duty to retreat when a person is assaulted in a place where he or she has a right to be."[21][22]

----

Now I would walk out with a shotgun, and if the perp takes a step towards me I would shoot, Just remember these words "I was in fear for my life", Usually a car thief has some kind of tool that can be used as a weapon.

But then I am from Texas which says I can shoot someone for "Criminal Mischief" if it is nighttime. And Vandalism is criminal mischief.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

exocet_cm to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:
said by Dragasoni:

You provide so many examples of how much better the north is! Also, I'd rather walk through the streets of New Orleans rather than any road in the Bronx or Newark. Just saying...

-Dragasoni-
Detective Exocet_cm may disagree, but the impression I got from my recent trips to New Orleans is that most of the low-lifes got shipped out with the hurricane evacuation, and have either never bothered to come back or are currently rotting in jail in Texas or wherever. Me, I just adopted my usual "I'm from Memphis, y'all, so don't even think about messin' with me!" swagger and I never really felt unsafe, but I tried not to do anything dangerous or stupid. My wife and daughter (especially my daughter) found parts of the French Quarter to be quite "intense", though.

No, I agree with you. And we don't have any shirts in the sizes that you were looking for...
lefty1
join:2002-10-25
Clay, NY

lefty1 to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Wait until your tires are slashed and they just happen to have a spare tire and tire iron with them while they are walking down the street. Real scam from 1970s crime ridden NYC.
Almost that identical thing happened in our city last year. Windshields were getting broken in a neighborhood so one guy waited up one night with a tire iron. He caught two teenage kids and rapped 'em both with the tire iron. He got arrested and as I remember he got some time. No charges were filed against the kids
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

That's bullshit, the kids should have been put in juvie, and the parents forced to pay for the damages. We need to stop punishing the wrong people, and it's pretty damn obvious when that's the case. The guy should have gotten a commendation for doing the police's job.

way2evil
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY

way2evil

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

That's bullshit, the kids should have been put in juvie, and the parents forced to pay for the damages. We need to stop punishing the wrong people, and it's pretty damn obvious when that's the case. The guy should have gotten a commendation for doing the police's job.
+1
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to exocet_cm

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

said by clevere1:
said by dispatcher21:

But on a serious note. We use Varda alarms in bait cars to catch vehicle prowlers, I am sure they have a civilian equivelant so that when someone enters your car, it calls your phone or something so you can catch them in the act.
Nope, I just checked. I wish my local police department gave a shit and would come down and check out the car. The thing is all leather so there HAD to be a finger print if they didn't wear gloves.
That is a misunderstanding. Fingerprints are rarely able to be recovered from surfaces except for smooth surfaces such as a the hood of a vehicle or the glass from a window, etc... Leather? Nothing would be recovered.

CSI has done an injustice to the law enforcement world.
Good to know officer. Thank you for that tip

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to way2evil

MVM

to way2evil
said by way2evil:

People who do not own your car do NOT belong in your car under any circumstances.
And this prevents them from breaking in?

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
said by fatmanskinny:

Unfortunately, it may take a bullet in the ass for this to stop or worse.
Well, i wouldn't shoot to kill over an auto break in.....only if my life was in danger.

Now, if the perp was attempting to break into my home while myself and my family was there.....he's gonna die on the spot.....guaranteed.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

2 edits

ctceo to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
With cops the way they are these days, I dunno. I dont like to lump them all together like that, and I'd like to state for the record we do have some very nice ones who do their job in our city, they are just spinning their tires in face of the asses that we have on the force.

Just the other day I saw a guy draining his radiator into the parking lot where he knows kids frequently walk. It was after code-enforcement hours, it was on private property, and the local security was nowhere to be found. In a complex where people get pistol whipped in broad daylight I wasn't about to go walking around looking for the security so I called the local PD non-emergency dispatch and asked if she felt it was within the purview of the PD to take a report on the incident to forward to code enforcement in the morning. Not once did she call back with an answer even though I specifically requested that she do so before sending an officer out. When he got here he was a total prick, explaining how there are only 9 officers on the force that time of night and "I" was wasting city resources by calling an officer because "somebody was changing their radiator fluid". In order for a claim to be valid around here it requires that an officer "see it" before they can "do anything about it", which was the foundation for the entire call in the first place. But never again, Unless it involves myself, my property or my family/relatives and/or their property I could give a shit anymore. Won't be dealing with the local ThugDepartment.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Forget the tazers, AR-15's, and all the other nonsense people are spewing. Just get one of these.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Lza7kcRg

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

1 edit

1 recommendation

ctceo

Premium Member

OMFG, I've never seen that one!!!

Great Find.

Here's the full version:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Y&fmt=22
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to ctceo

to ctceo
said by ctceo:

In order for a claim to be valid around here it requires that an officer "see it" before they can "do anything about it", which was the foundation for the entire call in the first place. But never again, Unless it involves myself, my property or my family/relatives and/or their property I could give a shit anymore. Won't be dealing with the local ThugDepartment.
If its not atleast a Class D felony (2 years minimum sentence) or involve an ambulance (which guarantees a Class D) or involves sex crimes and woman or children of a particular race (I won't go on), the cops won't ever show up, in general, in the USA.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

Good to know officer. Thank you for that tip
Glad I could be of assistance.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

2 edits

ctceo to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
The sad thing is that I've been flawless with calling in legit things, and calling back if the perps left and there's nothing an officer can do, so they can cancel the call. Unfortunately it's like they don't care anymore, even when it meets the requirements that you mentioned.

They are such Hippocrates here that one day they'll tell you to call, then bitch you out when they get there, or treat you like a douche for something they should be doing something about. Like the lady who was knocked unconscious a few months back, and they waited almost a half an hour for maintenance to show up before entering her apartment even though many people called in a welfare check on this girl, when they could have just climbed onto her balcony to gain entry as her screen door was unlocked and the balcony door was open.

xpkranger
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
Tucker, GA

xpkranger to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
As a gun owner, former LEO and son of a cop & prosecutor, I think that you are dead on. (pun intended.) There is no "shoot to wound or disable". It is simply not based in reality. There is only shoot to kill or don't shoot at all. As was said before, someone has been watching too many movies. Officers with years and years of training and on street patrol will still have difficulty hitting a torso at 10 feet in a fight for their life. So if one thinks that you'll be accurate enough to hit someone 'in the leg' (which may kill them anyway, if you somehow succeed) in a dark, ultra-high stress situation, best of luck to you there. A shotgun will increase your chances, but then you aren't exactly 'shooting to wound', no? If you 'shoot to wound' and are very lucky you'll succeed in scaring them off and then face charges for discharging the weapon or possible agg. assault. If you are unlucky, they'll take the gun and shoot you with it.

Protecting your unoccupied car with a gun is just not worth the risk (now, if you or a family member are inside it, that's a different story.) Lights, lights and more lights, check your locks, buy a real alarm for the car (park in the garage if poss.) and if you really want to, invest in something like this: »www.brickhousesecurity.c ··· era.html

Know your rights and your obligations. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· doctrine

Remember, if they are dead - chances are pretty good that the only side of the story that the police get to hear is yours. So, 'shooting to wound' only creates other problems if you succeed.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I find the shoot them in the leg to be silly and I have Zero firearms experience.

If a gun winds up in my hand for some reason and i must defend, I am aiming for the largest body mass and going to try and shoot that.

I mean standard policy with a gun anyway is you never point one at something that you do not intend to kill right?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to xpkranger

Premium Member

to xpkranger
In the past they used to just kill horse thieves.

The police are so fucking useless when it comes to actually catching people that we do need to stop these people ourselves, but they they punish us for actually defending ourselves and our property. It's pure bullshit. They expect us to lay down, and let them maybe get around to it.

Shoot the fuckers, they were in the act of a felony, and get rid of one more useless pos out of the gene pool.

Ray422
MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost

2 edits

Ray422 to Eyeballs

MVM

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

It's not that your police dept doesn't care. it comes down to man power. On any given night, a city can have dozens of car breaks.
They can't make any money investigating your silly little car break. They need the manpower for the big stuff, like writing seat-belt tickets

Don't dare shoot that thief, because "you" will be arrested. That forces us to hear yet another all-day news conference telling us how good they did and how great they think they are. Unlimited manpower will always be availabile for the news conference

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso to clevere1

to clevere1
Sorry to say you can't do shit. Even if you catch them in the act and rightfully introduce their face to a curb, YOU get arrested for assault. Boy where would we be without police.

xpkranger
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
Tucker, GA

xpkranger to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Can't disagree with the sentiment, but not willing to do life in prison to make that point (especially not with family members depending on my income.)

If you are, my hat is off to you.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Who says they will be able to find the body? They got in a firefight, and ran away.

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to mix

Premium Member

to mix
said by mix:

Ok answer this again just to be 100% clear. They are breaking into your wife's van even though it is locked every time, correct? Are you sure it's locked? Is one of the electric locks broken and doesn't really lock even if you press the button? Are the locks missing pins, that is, can you stick any key into one of them and turn it and the lock opens even though it's the wrong key? You need to check this out if you haven't.
Checked them this afternoon. It's working as described and the alarm works.