What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

1 recommendation

Parogadi to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus

Re: What to do about people breaking into my car..

Tis is why you've gotta have a pet gator, they can digest the bone...

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to horsemouth1

Premium Member

to horsemouth1
said by horsemouth1:

Are you sure you have an alarm and not just key less entry and an Immobilizer?
Yup. We tested it this afternoon. We got in, locked the car, waited a few minutes, opened the door and the alarm went off.

We tired using the automatic locks to unlock the door and nothing happened. We manually unlocked the doors and they relocked. It took an unlock and quick opening of the door and the alarm went off.

hep cat
do da dirdy bird
join:2001-02-17
Decatur, GA

hep cat to clevere1

to clevere1
Are your neighbors cars getting broke into or just yours? If just yours chances are it's someone you know. If your neighbors are also then it's probably someone in the neighborhood. You can start a neighborhood watch program. Get with local authorities to get one started.

xpkranger
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
Tucker, GA

xpkranger to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Fair play to you sir! There's always that I guess.

FWIW, I always heard around the house "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
It would seem to me, that the best way to prevent this from happening is to move the cars inside a locked facility that can only be accessed with an electronic door opener or a key.

We here call it.... A GARAGE!!

It would seem you have one I know people dump all of their stuff in garages so cars won't fit anymore, but maybe it is time for the 2-year-rule (if it has been in the garage for 2 years, is not seasonal, and I haven't used it, its time to get rid of it) and clean out space in the garage for its actual purpose:

To store a car safely.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 edit

Bobcat79 to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

If its not atleast a Class D felony (2 years minimum sentence) or involve an ambulance (which guarantees a Class D) or involves sex crimes and woman or children of a particular race (I won't go on), the cops won't ever show up, in general, in the USA.
In my town they will. I even know of one case where they went and got some water and brought it to a resident who was walking her three dogs in a remote area when the dogs were thirsty. Also, they respond to every 911 call. Every single one, even if you hang up or say you dialed 911 by mistake.
Bobcat79

Bobcat79 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
So if the alarm works, how are they getting in without waking you up?
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by Bobcat79:

So if the alarm works, how are they getting in without waking you up?
I know alarms can be bypassed etc. Just if I had this happening constantly at least at night I would have the alarm set to pin drop mode were it would go off before they got in. Plus make sure it was as loud as possible.
I do remember at least at one time they had some were you even walked by the car they would warn you away. I would just set it to go off in this case. Yes once in they can disable them fairly quickly still if loud enough and somewhat lite sleeper should give you the minute or so you need.
Once you are awake and the house light going on the thief should run away.
To keep breaking into the same car someone is playing with you. Not in a good way either.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:
said by Irun Man:

We've been through this ad nauseum with some jerk that was breaking into vehicles in our lot recently, returning about once a week for another fix. Between UC police stakeouts and video surveillance we FINALLY nabbed the perp... guy had a long rap sheet too.

First and foremost, ALWAYS lock your vehicle and don't leave ANY electronics or other items of value in sight inside. If a thief doesn't see anything worth taking they probably won't risk breaking glass or setting off an alarm on a whim. That BT headset was probably half way to his or her next dime bag, so conceal ALL you plan to leave in your car.
The funny thing is, NOTHING was in view. Since the car is new to us, we've not left anything visible in it. They left the GPS that was in the car but took the headset.

The cars are always locked and the alarms armed.

I live in a townhouse and the front of the house doesn't face the garage. I have 1 camera connected to a computer with a view of a driveway and some motion sensors on it. I just installed a black and white camera today.. I don't think I will get anything usable from them though.. it's hard to install cameras to get a view of the face...

Don't cheap out on the cameras! police can't do anything with blurry grainy dark video. get the best you can!

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by dvd536:
said by clevere1:
said by Irun Man:

We've been through this ad nauseum with some jerk that was breaking into vehicles in our lot recently, returning about once a week for another fix. Between UC police stakeouts and video surveillance we FINALLY nabbed the perp... guy had a long rap sheet too.

First and foremost, ALWAYS lock your vehicle and don't leave ANY electronics or other items of value in sight inside. If a thief doesn't see anything worth taking they probably won't risk breaking glass or setting off an alarm on a whim. That BT headset was probably half way to his or her next dime bag, so conceal ALL you plan to leave in your car.
The funny thing is, NOTHING was in view. Since the car is new to us, we've not left anything visible in it. They left the GPS that was in the car but took the headset.

The cars are always locked and the alarms armed.

I live in a townhouse and the front of the house doesn't face the garage. I have 1 camera connected to a computer with a view of a driveway and some motion sensors on it. I just installed a black and white camera today.. I don't think I will get anything usable from them though.. it's hard to install cameras to get a view of the face...

Don't cheap out on the cameras! police can't do anything with blurry grainy dark video. get the best you can!
Yes, please spend the extra money and get GOOD surveillance cameras. It sucks when all I have on a case is the victim's fuzzy recollection of the incident, no witnesses, and grainy surveillance.

And once it is installed test it and make sure it works. Also, familiarize yourself with the operation of the system. Doesn't help if you have surveillance but have no idea how it works.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Retired6

Premium Member

to Retired6
Why do people always say shoot the person?

A year ago, my brand new Mazda was broken into. Nothing was taken but every cuby and cover was opened. When I mentioned this to my Mazda dealer when I was buying a second car this year they mentioned it was most likely a Thief trying to get the "Key Tag ID". Apparently some dealers or manufacturers will print the Key Tag ID on the Manual or inside one of the panels. This way if you lose your keys you can get a replacement. With the ID, the thief can go get a key made and drive your car off to be sold/stripped/shipped easily.

How they got in was simple... I'm sure l left the car unlocked. Still have no clue who it was, and never seen anything since...

If your car is getting broken into a lot, you may want to replace the factory alarm with a more active system. Or like a friend did, when he had this issue repeatably at his apartment put a note saying 'No valuables inside, broken into to many times.' on the window. it worked.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to lefty1

to lefty1
said by lefty1:

Almost that identical thing happened in our city last year. Windshields were getting broken in a neighborhood so one guy waited up one night with a tire iron. He caught two teenage kids and rapped 'em both with the tire iron. He got arrested and as I remember he got some time. No charges were filed against the kids
Chased 'em down the street like a crazed lunatic, just to scare the bejesus out of them - not a problem. Rapped 'em on the butt to get his point across - not a problem. Rapped 'em up side the head and nearly killed 'em - problem! So which was it?

Parogadi
What? Stop Looking At Me Like That
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Racine, WI

Parogadi to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
How useful is a decent res IR camera and some IR floodlights to discreetly illuminate the area?
Parogadi

Parogadi to scross

Premium Member

to scross
I was thinking he used the pry on the iron to nail them to a telephone pole through the clavicle...

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to Parogadi

Premium Member

to Parogadi
said by Parogadi:

How useful is a decent res IR camera and some IR floodlights to discreetly illuminate the area?
Some of the residences around here use the IR cameras and they turn out video good enough to use to identify subjects.

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

What else can I do? Seriously.
They do make (or at least used to make) systems you can install that will page/notify you. My old boss had an old hoopty that was broken in to from time to time. He finally went to an alarm store to buy a system that would page him when it was activated by an intruder. He asked the manager if they could make it so there would be no audible alarm in the car; just the page. When asked why, he said so that it would alert him to the break-in so he could grab a gun and shoot the SOB.

The manager was so taken aback that he refused to sell my old boss the system. My boss told the manager that he was just kidding about shooting anyone breaking in to the car (as he was still grumpy from the latest break-in), but the store manager wouldn't believe him.
Bill or Will
Bill or Will Willy J to you LOL
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Lumberton, TX

Bill or Will to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Get a nice old doggy to sit in the car all evening if they are well trained they won't take a mess in there
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:
said by Parogadi:

Some of the residences around here use the IR cameras and they turn out video good enough to use to identify subjects.
IR cams of high quality sound like a good idea for catching night criminals. something tells me of there is no direct idea they are on video they wont cover their face.(or try to hide the plates on their get away car if they are not simply a walk up criminal)
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Parogadi

to Parogadi
said by Parogadi:

I was thinking he used the pry on the iron to nail them to a telephone pole through the clavicle...
Well, that might have been a bit "harsh", don't cha think!

Me, I would have been tempted to play a game of Whac-A-Mole on their 'nads. Not so bloody and dangerous, and just think of the pictures that would have to have been shown in court (and put in the public record, most likely) showing the "damage". Not to mention the added bonus of potentially preventing them from ever procreating. However, I'm fairly certain some busybody probably would have tried calling that a "sex crime"; sometimes you just can't win!

scross

scross to nonymous

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

I know alarms can be bypassed etc. Just if I had this happening constantly at least at night I would have the alarm set to pin drop mode were it would go off before they got in. Plus make sure it was as loud as possible.
I do remember at least at one time they had some were you even walked by the car they would warn you away. I would just set it to go off in this case. Yes once in they can disable them fairly quickly still if loud enough and somewhat lite sleeper should give you the minute or so you need.
To keep breaking into the same car someone is playing with you. Not in a good way either.
Well, just don't forget about the old trick where thieves would intentionally trip the alarm over and over, until you reached the point where you thought it was malfunctioning and got fed up with it and just turned it off. Then they would come back and steal your car or whatever. This never happened to me, but back in the day it happened to a couple of people I knew. As I recall the police said the trick here was just to relocate your car if you could, instead of turning off the alarm. Or maybe leave and stay gone for a few minutes before coming back - long enough that the thieves thought you were gone for good and so would move on and start looking for another car.
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to scross

Premium Member

to scross

Re: What to do about people breaking into my car..

said by scross:
said by nonymous:

Well, just don't forget about the old trick where thieves would intentionally trip the alarm over and over, until you reached the point where you thought it was malfunctioning and got fed up with it and just turned it off. Then they would come back and steal your car or whatever. This never happened to me, but back in the day it happened to a couple of people I knew. As I recall the police said the trick here was just to relocate your car if you could, instead of turning off the alarm. Or maybe leave and stay gone for a few minutes before coming back - long enough that the thieves thought you were gone for good and so would move on and start looking for another car.
You also have the factor of many people simply ignore car alarms. I do because I used to work in retail and in parking lots they went off constantly so my mind just stopped processing them. heck when I was a cart boy in my much younger years at a supermarket I set them off Constantly in winter when my coat brushed against the mirrors of luxury cars.
jwichman
join:2008-04-28
Emden, MO

jwichman to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

A bullet in the ass or in the legs would be something to remember.
Somebody has been watching too many movies.
Really!

Everyone knows you never shoot to wound. If they live and have a limp or something - they can sue your ass off.
Shoot to kill (and make sure to drag them back to your property if they get off of it). Go for the kill shot - definitely!

See if your state's "castle doctrine" applies to vehicles as well as your home.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

and if they are alive they can possibly pull their own gun on you.

John K
@conquesthousing.com

John K to clevere1

Anon

to clevere1
quote:
I live in a townhouse and the front of the house doesn't face the garage.

Does a townhouse typically mean the householder is paying HOA fees? Or are HOA fees more typically associated with condominiums (or gated communities)? I guess I'm not clear on the difference between a townhouse and a condo.

Anyway, I ask because if you -are- paying HOA fees, it doesn't sound like the HOA is living up to their part of the deal.
jwichman
join:2008-04-28
Emden, MO

jwichman to Devanchya

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Why do people always say shoot the person?
Because it works particularly well with repeat offenders - which seems to be the problem here.
jwichman

jwichman to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

and if they are alive they can possibly pull their own gun on you.
And if they don't have a gun, that's why you bring TWO.

Actually, a longish knife will do and it's easier to obtain than a throwaway gun. Wipe your prints off though - they pick up prints pretty well.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:
said by exocet_cm:
said by Parogadi:

IR cams of high quality sound like a good idea for catching night criminals. something tells me of there is no direct idea they are on video they wont cover their face.(or try to hide the plates on their get away car if they are not simply a walk up criminal)
They have some really good IR cameras that are very compact and one can usually conceal them enough to not make them noticeable. It only takes one misstep for the criminal.

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

said by exocet_cm:

They have some really good IR cameras that are very compact and one can usually conceal them enough to not make them noticeable. It only takes one misstep for the criminal.
Can ya'll recommend some? The one I have really sucks. My piss poor Sony webcam takes a better photo. I prefer one that is wireless though.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by clevere1:
said by exocet_cm:

Can ya'll recommend some? The one I have really sucks. My piss poor Sony webcam takes a better photo. I prefer one that is wireless though.
Let me check with the homeowners in my district and I'll let you know.

Send me an e-mail or PM later this week to follow up with me as a reminder.