spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tyrnnsrs
join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

Buying Tires in the US

Does anyone have any experience buying car tires in the US? I need some new all seasons before the winter comes. I've never bought tires before and was pricing things out and was kind of shocked at how expensive it is haha.

I was looking at prices in the US and generally tires are almost $50 cheaper per tire which is crazy. That would save me a lot of cash.

Now obviously the caveat is getting them back into Canada, which could be done various ways both legal and not so legal. In terms of the legal options, anyone know how much duty would be charged on tires? I'm assuming if I buy 4 tires at $100 each, I'd be paying 13% HST on them coming back over, but I have no idea about the duties. Trying to sort out if it will be worth my while do buy them there or not.

Thanks!

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I bought new tires in the US last November. I had the tires mounted in the US and drove back. It was getting dark so customs could not see that I had new tires.

Legally, I think there would only be HST on the tires if they are made in North America.

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

said by donoreo:

I bought new tires in the US last November. I had the tires mounted in the US and drove back. It was getting dark so customs could not see that I had new tires.

Legally, I think there would only be HST on the tires if they are made in North America.
Yeah I toyed with that idea, but my gf said it could be dicey if they notice you have new tires. But I figure if I drive around Buffalo for 20 minutes before heading to the border they should get dirty enough.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by tyrnnsrs:

Yeah I toyed with that idea, but my gf said it could be dicey if they notice you have new tires.
I drove over, and back, the same day I had new tires installed and all I experienced was a group of officers searching cars on the American side comment "nice white walls." Do it on a rainy day and drive back at night, after a day of shopping
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
Under NAFTA there is no Canadian customs duty on tires manufactured in North America.

You are supposed to pay your Federal/provincial sales taxes, but I don't think that the customs officers are really concerned about that....

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

Excellent.. that is comforting to know. Assuming I go the legal route, do you think I'd be better buying 4 tires and throwing them in my trunk than claiming them at the border? Or just have them installed then say something to the customs agent?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

You are supposed to pay your Federal/provincial sales taxes, but I don't think that the customs officers are really concerned about that....
!!! That's half the reason they're there! That's exactly what they're concerned about for the average person. Over $45? You're typically paying taxes... unless you sweet talk her or it's a shift change.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to tyrnnsrs

to tyrnnsrs
There is a provision in law that you don't have to pay taxes on a part that failed while you were out of the country and that you had to have replaced before coming back.

»www.cbsa.gc.ca/publicati ··· -eng.pdf

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

said by IamGimli:

There is a provision in law that you don't have to pay taxes on a part that failed while you were out of the country and that you had to have replaced before coming back.

»www.cbsa.gc.ca/publicati ··· -eng.pdf
Interesting... so from what you're saying, I could tell Customs that I got a flat and ended up needing a new tire. Instead of buying only one, I just bought a whole set.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i shopped around when i bought my last set, and found it cheaper to buy my tires at CostCo than what it would have cost to buy them from TireRack (or some other popular US site) and pay to have them shipped here)...of course, that doesn't even count things like warranty...if you buy them down there, and there is an issue, you will have to return to where you bought it...not exactly convenient if you pick up a nail and have to pay for another tire (which may be some special model only available in the US).

what is the tire spec size you need?

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor to tyrnnsrs

to tyrnnsrs
tirerack.com

Drop ship them to an affiliated US installer near a outlet mall you also happen to want to shop at. (See the website under Installation) Make appointment with installer. Get tires installed. Go shopping for the day. Declare your outlet purchaes like a good boy. Perhaps forget to mention your new tires. Perhaps not. Save $100's.

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
I looked into TireRack but it's not worth it to bother with the shipping and duties up to Canada. I'd rather just drive down to Buffalo and pick some up since I can always find a reason to go to Buffalo.

I've got a Ford Focus ZX5, so the tire specs are P205/50R16. Pricing that size out up here in Canada puts me in the $160+ ranges for a decent set of tires.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
Agree with DJ, could not seem to find anything cheaper online at the end of the day, that I could get locally, unless looking for a difficult hard to get brand. Seems the optimal way is to drive over (if close) and do all four wheels while in the US. IMGIMLI must be a lawyer LOL (or naturally savvy)

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
said by tyrnnsrs:

I looked into TireRack but it's not worth it to bother with the shipping and duties up to Canada. I'd rather just drive down to Buffalo and pick some up since I can always find a reason to go to Buffalo.

I've got a Ford Focus ZX5, so the tire specs are P205/50R16. Pricing that size out up here in Canada puts me in the $160+ ranges for a decent set of tires.
go to a CostCo Tire center.

we purchased a set of four Michelin X-Radial's a few years ago (Michelin Harmony tires) for our last ZX-5 from there...they were about 135/tire installed...they also run specials from time to time (we got a $60 discount on 4 tires at the time)...it was something like $600 (a little under) for four really good tires, installed, taxes included...yes, you can get cheaper ones (Canadian Tire, etc), but at the price we paid, we got a great tire...i still have a set of them on my Taurus and i paid about $650ish all in for them (16").

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by tyrnnsrs:

we purchased a set of four Michelin X-Radial's a few years ago (Michelin Harmony tires) for our last ZX-5 from there...they were about 135/tire installed...they also run specials from time to time (we got a $60 discount on 4 tires at the time)...it was something like $600 (a little under) for four really good tires, installed, taxes included...yes, you can get cheaper ones (Canadian Tire, etc), but at the price we paid, we got a great tire...i still have a set of them on my Taurus and i paid about $650ish all in for them (16").
Thanks a bunch. I've had a few people recommend CostCo to me for tires including my parents. I took a look online and they only had 3 tires that would fit my tire size, and the cheapest was $150. I should just go into the store and look, they probably don't have everything online.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, i looked online, but the three tires listed on-line shouldn't be your only options...one of them ($200) is their top line Winter tire...look for the Michelin Harmony/X Radial tire in store (assuming it is available in your tire size) as they are a really good tire and are reasonably affordable...they were also quite decent in the snow...not as good as snow tires, but pretty good (our last Focus had them, and my Taurus uses them)...our newer Focus uses the stock Pirelli's, but they were horrible in the snow, so we bought some X-IceII winter tires there for it (again, for less than what it would have cost us to buy them in the US).

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

I will definitely take a look for those Michelin's, they sound like pretty much what I want. Just a decent all round all season tire. If the price is right, than I might as well pick them up.

I'd still like to find out though what the duty cost would be to bring over a set of tires across the border, if only for comparison purposes. Reason being is that I could get a better tire from the US for roughly the same price as a decent set purchased here. It's a tough call.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
In my case, I was going to Windsor anyway, had an invite to a wedding that weekend in Michigan as well. I was only over the border 2 hours and 45 minutes of that was waiting in line for customs!

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
Crappy Tire during a sale

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by tyrnnsrs:

I just drove to Massena, NY from Montreal, cost me about 15 dollars gas to get there and then saved on the fuel up at 65 cents/L. 4 Yokohama tires for 520 (after exchange). I just drove home with them on the car and yes, I didn't declare them. For my winters, I did declare and it cost me GST at the time since I was not an Ontario resident.

Here in Montreal, I haven't seen anything at Costco for $600 tax and install in.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Bender2000:

Here in Montreal, I haven't seen anything at Costco for $600 tax and install in.
not sure of the sizes, but the tires i put on our last Focus were about that...and my Taurus tires were just above that...as well, when one of them picked up a nail about a year after i bought them, it was replaced at Costco under their road hazzard warranty (it was prorated, so i think i had to pay something like $10 for the new tire).

that said, it is very possible that sneaking across the border and getting new tires might be cheaper, just hope you don't have any problems, because you won't get anyone up here to help you with them...it doesn't hurt to shop around...i looked online when i bought our last two sets of tires, as everyone talks about the great deals, but in both cases, it was cheaper for me to get them at CostCo...the fact i live 5 minutes from one, and they honour the warranty is a bonus.

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

^^ I'm definitely going to take a look at Costco for sure. My gf and parents both got their last sets there and said they got a good deal so I may as well go in and take a look. From the sounds of it, the warranty situation alone with them sounds like it may be worth the extra bit of money. Thanks again

Gone
@skycomp.ca

Gone to tyrnnsrs

Anon

to tyrnnsrs
Tirerack is a complete ripoff after you take into account the shipping and the cost to mount them once they arrive. They're only worthwhile if you want special tires that would otherwise be hard to find.

Best thing to do is go to a discount tire shop like Mr. Tire, wait for a sale (they often do buy three get one free deals) and then make an appointment, buy them, have them installed and you're good to go. Customs may look in your trunk, but not at your tires.

I got four brand new tires in the spring for $440 including NYS/Niagara County sales tax. The same tires would have cost me over $700 on the Canadian side - and that's not even taking into account the GST/PST (at the time) I would have paid on top of that. Shitty Canadian Tire tires were going to be over $600 with tax. I will -never- buy tires in Canada, and anyone who lives near the border would be an idiot to do so.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to tyrnnsrs

Premium Member

to tyrnnsrs
Does anyone know why tires are so much more expensive in Canada?

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

said by PX Eliezer704:

I've been wondering the same thing. It definitely can't be the dollar. I've found that most tires tend to be 50%+ more expensive in Canada than in the US. It's simply ridiculous.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by tyrnnsrs:
said by PX Eliezer704:

I've been wondering the same thing. It definitely can't be the dollar. I've found that most tires tend to be 50%+ more expensive in Canada than in the US. It's simply ridiculous.
as i said, that depends on where you go.

but volume would have a lot to do with prices (which is probably why CostCo has decent prices on them as it is).

your local tire store might be 300 sets of tires a year, whereas a "chain store" in the US might purchase 30,000 sets a year...we don't have many chain stores in Canada, because we simply don't have the volume to support many (there are a few, but nothing like the US).

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

said by dirtyjeffer0:
said by tyrnnsrs:
said by PX Eliezer704:

as i said, that depends on where you go.

but volume would have a lot to do with prices (which is probably why CostCo has decent prices on them as it is).

your local tire store might be 300 sets of tires a year, whereas a "chain store" in the US might purchase 30,000 sets a year...we don't have many chain stores in Canada, because we simply don't have the volume to support many (there are a few, but nothing like the US).
You could apply that same logic however to almost any product sold in both countries. Generally prices seem to vary by about 10-20% depending on the item. But when it comes to something like cars or tires in this case, there is a huge variance in pricing.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by tyrnnsrs:

You could apply that same logic however to almost any product sold in both countries. Generally prices seem to vary by about 10-20% depending on the item. But when it comes to something like cars or tires in this case, there is a huge variance in pricing.
that is generally due to how the companies are set up.

in the case of tires, most likely (example) Michelin Tire Canada purchases the tires from the corporate office and gets pricing based on annual sales...in the US, Michelin Tire USA does the same thing, but obviously gets better costing due to volume...many companies are set up this way, including cars.

tyrnnsrs
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs

It's just frustrating more than anything. At least we have the option to get stuff in the states. I still haven't got a definitive answer on duty charges on tires, I'm not sure I want to risk going the non-claiming route or not. It's nice to at least have options. Still have to do some shopping around and pricing locally. Tire buying sure is frustrating.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
it's not just volume. Massena, NY is a pretty small place...and the outfit I went to was a small family business. Tires are ordered as needed. Go to Platsburg as well, and nearly any commodity is much cheaper, yet their population to support purchasing those commodities is much smaller. So I really don't buy the volume discount, unless the volume discount is literally spread out by the manufacturers across the total US sales.