Search similar:

uniqs
Obi1Kanobi
join:2006-01-27
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Obi1Kanobi

how do these levels look?

My upload has been shot for like 3 weeks now and they are saying the the issue seems to be on my end, do these levels look right to you guys?

I need to do a modem swap to try to fix the issue but to be honest ive done like 5 modem swaps already over the last 2 years and its getting old.

I don't like having down time and having to keep switching out modems just sucks. At this point i really want a damn docsis 3 so i dont have to worry so much but i dont think ill be able to get them to give me one and i cant afford to buy one right now.

Downstream	Value
Frequency	609000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio	39 dB 
Downstream Modulation	QAM256
Network Access Control Object	ON
Power Level	3 dBmV  
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream	Value
Channel ID	1
Frequency	22500000 Hz
Ranging Service ID	131
Symbol Rate	5.120 Msym/s
Power Level	44 dBmV
Upstream Modulation	[1] QPSK
[3] 16QAM
[2] 64QAM

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Your levels are perfect. Did you have a tech come and check what's going on?
Obi1Kanobi
Bronx, NY

Obi1Kanobi

No i have not had a chance to have a tech come out. Its hard for me to take off of work so i may need to have them come out on the weekend.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Have you double checked coax connections are tightened as well as any splitters? Are you using a router? If you are, have you tried a direct connection to the modem? If not, it could be an issue up at the pole that the tech can either fix or send OSP to take a look at which would be able to fix issues the regular tech can't.
Obi1Kanobi
Bronx, NY

Obi1Kanobi

said by kickass69:

Have you double checked coax connections are tightened as well as any splitters? Are you using a router? If you are, have you tried a direct connection to the modem? If not, it could be an issue up at the pole that the tech can either fix or send OSP to take a look at which would be able to fix issues the regular tech can't.
Splitters are less than 2 months old so that shouldnt be the case.

Theres no pole here since its an Apt and i had a tech out here about 2-3 months ago and they said all my wiring is in great shape since its all inside of a building.

I am behind a router as %99.9999 of any user and have tested right to the modem and get the same speeds.

The real problem is ive been soo busy with getting best buy to deliver a fridge and needed to work from home alot i didnt want to take a chance and start messing with it to much and cause a bigger issue.
Cable Fiend
join:2003-04-25
Dover Plains, NY

Cable Fiend

Obi do you have boost? If so, the problem is on their end. I just had an issue for 3-4 weeks where I would get little to no upload and tons of packet loss (probably as a result of the bad upload) techs came out, looked at whatever they look at on their end and fixed it. Only took a week of replacing splitters and wires for them to check their own equipment which they fixed amazingly fast
Obi1Kanobi
Bronx, NY

Obi1Kanobi

Cable Fiend:
I do have boost and am trying to get them to check stuff on there end as well but thats not easy task. hopefully i have some more time this weekend and can get things taken care of.
Obi1Kanobi

Obi1Kanobi

Just a heads up but i did a modem swap and it didn't help, i have a tech coming out on Monday night to see if he can get to the bottom of this issue but they do believe something is wrong since i really should be getting better speeds than what im currently getting.
Cable Fiend
Dover Plains, NY

Cable Fiend to Obi1Kanobi

to Obi1Kanobi
My new edit for my OOL review that was previously 5.0 across the board.

November 8th 2010

Just got off the phone with OOL support after my internet speeds are once again being butchered by no upload. I explain the whole situation to this tech "TOM" and he acted incredibly unprofessional. All I asked was if they were working on something in the area because a recurrent issue has started up again.

He told me my signal was fine, things happen like work on lines, congestion etc. that it's probably MY equipment. Insisted that he needs to connect to my PC to look around my computer for issues. I told him there is no way he was going to connect to my PC. No tech has EVER asked to connect to my PC and there is no way this jaded CS representative filled with clueless wisecracks is going to touch my PC -- which runs in pristine condition. He said he needed a "screenshot" of my speed results. I can take screenshots and upload them to him, why must he take control of my PC? He didn't like my saying no.

He scoffed, insisted its a minor bump and I should just get over it and wait for it to be over. I explained how I used Ventrilo to demonstrate my upload was non-existent (Ping jumps from 30 to 2000+ when trying to transmit voice) and he sarcastically apologized that he doesn't have my precision tools. I tell him my 19kmbit (I usually get 30mbit) is more than enough for ANYONE but it's not actually 19kmbit its jumping around. He told me "Oh im sorry you have to have your ping perfectly in line every second" and I said no I dont, it's just unusable right now. I can't play online games and I can't talk in ventrilo because it chokes up the signal.

He didn't listen to a word I said, assumed it was all hot air and didn't bother to actually check my line. I insisted there is something wrong on their end all I wanted was a polite confirmation, and he asked if there was anything else I needed? I asked to talk to someone nicer. He said I sure can do that! Transferred me to a very nice woman WHO FOUND LEAKAGE! She also mentioned someone from my town called about the same exact thing. Case closed.

So we're dealing with this guy, Tom, who is clearly disgruntled potentially entering innocent customers computers doing who knows what?

I called back to complain but I'm betting it falls on deaf ears expecting I'm only complaining to get money taken off my bill or something. I'm furious right now, and tempted to lower my ratings even further and call to complain again

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

Glad you got your issue resolved with one phone call. Others would be envious.

I'm not sure what "leakage" means. The nice woman was able to fix it while you were on the phone? The reason I ask is because "no upload" problems are often OSP or ingress issues, and I don't see how a CSR could resolve it. On the other hand, if it happens every two months and can be resolved by a CSR, may be easier to just call. Next time ask the "nice woman" to document the problem and fix in your account, so the next person doesn't have to fish around.

I suggest sending in a written complaint, or at least calling. "Tom" and the date/time of the call should be sufficient. Unless people complain it takes longer for them to figure out who the bad ones are.
Cable Fiend
Dover Plains, NY

Cable Fiend

She didn't resolve anything, she just confirmed what I already knew despite Tom denying everything. These problems always go away on their own and come back on their own. Sending techs out is just busy work to appease callers. They've already rewired my whole house, replaced the wire from my house to their pole, and found a ton of issues with the pole they said they were correcting weeks ago. It's 100% on their end, but they don't like hearing it.
rtorre
join:2010-11-05
Middlesex, NJ

rtorre to Obi1Kanobi

to Obi1Kanobi
One maybe silly question. Did you try a different computer? I see so many these days with viruses and working antivirus installed here at work where the owner is sure they are clean and that the problems are something else.

No one uses my computers!
Having said that I have a cheapo laptop I only use for online banking, Bill paying and shopping online at two trusted websites, Income tax. No email, no browsing, nothing else at all. No external drives of any kind get plugged into it either.

A second cheapo laptop that can be used for anything. If I was sure someone needed remote access, that's the one I'd use and when they were done I would pull out the restore DVDs and redo it from scratch. I consider this one as trustworthy as a Internet cafe computer is.

Cheapo laptops are both the same, $329. 15.6" screen Win7home premium. Two the same so that if something happens to the financial one I can swap the drive and be back in business. The belts and suspenders approach.

A Desktop computer I use for everything else.

Good Luck

catvtek
@optonline.net

catvtek to Cable Fiend

Anon

to Cable Fiend
she found leakage over the phone????

We have techs in the field with 20 plus years experience working in teams using thousands of dollars worth of equipment that have problems finding leakage and ingress and this lady does it on the phone.

jesse
@optonline.net

jesse

Anon

The network is over 20 plus years old too. They just keep adding more subscribers. What change a amp here and there. Its always the run around. what''s the saying Unless you call in, we don't know if there's a issue. Time to send the boys from outside plant.
Also request a senior tech,or area supervisor to came along with tech.

iotv
@optonline.net

iotv to Obi1Kanobi

Anon

to Obi1Kanobi
My Power Level is normally around 6 or 7 dBmV last week it was at 3 dBmV, I called cablevision about it they said they were having engineering look at it, now it is back to around 8 dBmV what would have caused it to drop and what would they do to fix it?
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to jesse

to jesse
said by jesse :

The network is over 20 plus years old too. They just keep adding more subscribers. What change a amp here and there. Its always the run around. what''s the saying Unless you call in, we don't know if there's a issue. Time to send the boys from outside plant.
Also request a senior tech,or area supervisor to came along with tech.
Have you checked into the age of the plane you last took (trivial to do, get the tail number, look up the FAA registration)? Was it about 15-20 years old? Then you flew "average".

What you certainly didn't do was fly in a badly maintained plane with an unacceptable risk of death to you, at least if you flew in North America or Europe.

Same goes for the cable plant: just because it's been there for 20-30 years doesn't mean it hasn't been maintained. Quite the contrary. The homes-per-node number went from 1500-2000 down to 250-500 in the last 20 years, almost entirely driven by DOCSIS+VOIP and the desire to have less effected customers per node outage (and a VASTLY reduced diameter of plant to search for ingress and other disruptions).

Your comments couldn't be more false and stereotypical "about the big bad cable company", and nowhere near the truth, especially in Cablevision's and Time Warner's systems. Something fueling your anger that makes you shoot from the hip, I suppose?
cablewizzard

cablewizzard to iotv

to iotv
said by iotv :

My Power Level is normally around 6 or 7 dBmV last week it was at 3 dBmV, I called cablevision about it they said they were having engineering look at it, now it is back to around 8 dBmV what would have caused it to drop and what would they do to fix it?
Please tell us you didn't just create work for some people "just because", with no observed negative service experience, did you?

A typical DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 device that has a receive-power of -7 to +10 dBmV is operating in a normal/desirable range. -10 to +10 dBmV is acceptable, and -15 to +15 dBmV can actually be FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITHOUT AN INCREASED ERROR RATE, with levels as low as -20dBmV still resulting in an operable state.

A sudden change in RF plant conditions happens most often because a node is getting balanced (most often on forward amps alone), less often because something broke (failing amp, combiner/tap).

So: what exactly, if anything, do you think CV did wrong by lowering your receive-power by 3-4 dBmV that warranted putting in a service call?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
Jesse is an anon troll and should be ignored not answered!

IOTV
@optonline.net

IOTV to cablewizzard

Anon

to cablewizzard
I did not know why it happened so i called them up.

linetech
@verizon.net

linetech to iotv

Anon

to iotv
said by iotv :

do u call weatherman when the temperature swings 10 degrees in an hour?

weather affects levels because nodes and amplifiers are outdoors on the poles. if your service is fine, dont bother calling.