TekSavvy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20
CA

TSI ERIC9

Premium Member

TekSavvy Cable Speeds on Rogers Network

Hey gang,

This post is to keep all of you aware that we know that our backhauls are getting/have become oversubscribed. There have been two major factors that have made things difficult to manage:

1- The growth of the product...after less than 3 months we have over 3,000 subs! This is a good problem but it posses the quandary of being able to estimate bandwidth demand. We've already upgraded 5 of 6 POIs twice with a third upgrade set to happen any day now.

2- Rogers has never seen growth like this from a TPIA customer and it caught them off guard. Things like a 10 gig cross-connect and frequent backhaul upgrades are things that they normally take 3 to 12 weeks to get done and we've been forcing them to 1 to 6 weeks turnarounds.

So, the long and short of it is that we're not asleep at the helm; it's just a big ship to navigate and as usual things take time.

Cheers
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 edit

xdrag

Thanks for the update, it'll be assuring to most of those angry customers right now that Teksavvy is not sitting back but instead, actively trying to give us the best experience available as you guys have in the past.

I'm one of the McNicoll users and i hope it'll be resolved soon just like the call centre congestion issue.

On another note, let's hope rogers takes this as a great sign of growth and continue to develop the TPIA relationship with teksavvy so we can get even faster speeds without the ridiculous prices and caps. And oh yea, one more thing: kicking Bhell's a$$ and their BS IPTV scandal.

PXA
Tech Ninja
Premium Member
join:2008-04-02
Almonte, ON

PXA to TSI ERIC9

Premium Member

to TSI ERIC9
Now if Rogers would get their act together so fast in resolving this IP nonsense that's keeping Ottawa locked out...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by PXA:

Now if Rogers would get their act together so fast in resolving this IP nonsense that's keeping Ottawa locked out...
Part of it is Rogers for requiring separate IP pools for each POI (which cannot be helped if they are doing IP-based routing across POIs) while the other part is ARIN refusing to allocate new IP blocks to TSI.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer to TSI ERIC9

Premium Member

to TSI ERIC9
said by TSI ERIC9:

2- Rogers has never seen growth like this from a TPIA customer and it caught them off guard.
Hey Cogeco, you reading this? Wake the %$#& up and get with the program!

Mike

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI ERIC9

Premium Member

to TSI ERIC9
Thanks for the update Eric.

I do understand, and I've been patient as I've had issues with the service since day one, but the congestion issue is something that could have been helped a bit if TekSavvy suspended new signups...

Every new customer in the past month or so has been adding to the misery of the already existing customers, and the new ones have not been impressed with bad service from the getgo...

I know some already canceled, and I myself am on the fence now for the past couple weeks. It's been a rather pricey cost of $260 for the first three months of bad service, given the high startup cost of the modem purchase and activation...
KC7
join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON

KC7 to TSI ERIC9

to TSI ERIC9
said by TSI ERIC9:

1- The growth of the product...after less than 3 months we have over 3,000 subs! ...

2- Rogers has never seen growth like this from a TPIA customer and it caught them off guard. ...
So basically Rogers is stealing market share from Bell via TekSavvy. Good News.
sourtimer
join:2010-09-12
York, ON

sourtimer to TSI ERIC9

to TSI ERIC9

Looks like speeds are fixed for me on the Scarlett hub. Been consistently high during congestion times the past three nights.

Thanks Teksavvy.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar to TSI ERIC9

to TSI ERIC9
Thanks for the update and congrats on the success of your launch for these services. As mentioned already, Rogers must be recognizing how working with TSI can help their business. Win-Win!
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by AkFubar:

Thanks for the update and congrats on the success of your launch for these services. As mentioned already, Rogers must be recognizing how working with TSI can help their business. Win-Win!
Can you guys please pass on this information to Videotron. Thanks.
InvalidError

InvalidError to AkFubar

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

As mentioned already, Rogers must be recognizing how working with TSI can help their business. Win-Win!
I would wait and see... another interpretation would be that TPIA with an aggressive wholesaler was a lot more work than Rogers though it would be.
xdrag
North York, ON

1 edit

xdrag

said by InvalidError:

said by AkFubar:

As mentioned already, Rogers must be recognizing how working with TSI can help their business. Win-Win!
I would wait and see... another interpretation would be that TPIA with an aggressive wholesaler was a lot more work than Rogers though it would be.
But for roger's its money that speak. 3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue while cock-blocking its major competitor (bell). Not to mention teksavvy has to pay for the upgrades that also come with a hefty price. For rogers, if the money speaks, then it's go-go-go.

flq06
join:2009-08-06
Verdun, QC

flq06 to PXA

to PXA
for PXA's comment that says:

Your pretty much in deap sh!t being in ottawa, Bell as the same problem over there...if your not from the governement good luck...I'm working for a 3rd party ISP just like TSI (and use TSI at home) And our customers in Ottawa keep complaining even we have lots and lots of spare bandwidth to Bell...

Maybe the TSI folks can agree on this one...

And if they have a defective OC3 card off on one of their DSLAM it takes days and days before getting a fix...at least, it doesn't happen too often...
flq06

flq06 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
I wouldn't say that TSI helped Rogers business, 20Mbps for a resi customer paying less then 100$ is not quite interesting for rogers when they sell 20M FDX connection for more then 1500$ to their business customers... and that's the same story for all ISP's they have no choice to offer such price cause of the CRTC regulations.

A Gigabit (Internet Peering) connection is over 20K a month.
InvalidError

InvalidError to xdrag

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue
What is "huge" about ~$10k/month? That is not even 0.01% of Roger's monthly revenue, barely worth noting. A gain, yes. A "huge" gain? No, tiny at best.
xdrag
North York, ON

4 edits

xdrag

said by InvalidError:

said by xdrag:

3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue
What is "huge" about ~$10k/month? That is not even 0.01% of Roger's monthly revenue, barely worth noting. A gain, yes. A "huge" gain? No, tiny at best.
However, i think you're missing the more important point here: Rogers is gaining a lot more than Bell. If they can take away marketshare from bell for good then over the years the damage compounds itself.

3K over the last TWO months is a lot considering the size of teksavvy and moreover, if the subscriptions are kept for years then Bell is losing money not just over months but years as well. Sometimes it's not about making money, it's about hurting your competitors and that's exactly what teksavvy is helping rogers do. This is just the beginning: Teksavvy has yet to infiltrate the Ottawa, the GTA areas and cogeco land.

Teksavvy said it themselves, rogers has never seen such growth from a TPIA customer. Even if roger loses a customer to teksavvy they still keep a majority of the money whereas if Bell loses a customer to teksavvy (cable) Roger gains a lion's share of the new subscription and Bell loses everything..

Hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves. If Rogers felt that they were going to shoot themselves in the foot, they would have never agreed to allow Teksavvy onto their networks.

Jayar
join:2005-01-16

Jayar

Today's the first day in awhile since activation that I haven't had to run a speedtest. I hope this keeps up!
InvalidError

InvalidError to xdrag

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

Hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves.
Bell lost over 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers to Videotron/Rogers cable-phone and even that only barely ruffled Bell's feathers. Next to that, even 100k wholesale subscribers jumping ship to cable would little more than tickle.

Since Bell wants to get rid of GAS, they are not going to mourn the loss of wholesale business wherever it may go.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to flq06

Premium Member

to flq06
said by flq06:

Someone is paying too much then
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by pstewart:

said by flq06:

Someone is paying too much then
Yikes... no kidding. Transit should be significantly less than $20k/month, and Peering (when the term is used correctly) is free.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

about 2K or so per month is reasonable
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919

said by zacron:

about 2K or so per month is reasonable
$1 per mb on large commits is around.
xdrag
North York, ON

xdrag to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by xdrag:

Hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves.
Bell lost over 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers to Videotron/Rogers cable-phone and even that only barely ruffled Bell's feathers. Next to that, even 100k wholesale subscribers jumping ship to cable would little more than tickle.

Since Bell wants to get rid of GAS, they are not going to mourn the loss of wholesale business wherever it may go.
Are you buying their propaganda or did you think through it at all? I think any company losing 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers is going to hurt. They might not be saying it but it does. 2 Million subscribers and let's say Bell makes a profit of $20-30 dollars per subscriber (just numbers here) that's still $40 million dollars loss in profits.

According to wikipedia (not a reliable source but just as a rough reference), there's 13 million phone lines that's operated by bell. 2 out of 13 million is 15% of the market and IMO that's a lot of the marketshare to lose. I'm not even sure where you pulled the 2 million figure.

Ofcourse when you compare it to the 1 billion dollar revenue and costs it seems minimal but consider the long term effects as well. Phone subscriptions usually last more than just 1 year so it takes impact over many years. Furthermore, if i was a businesss and i start losing customers to my competitors then I would be scared about my business plan. It doesn't look very good on their portfolio for investors as well.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to xdrag

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

3K over the last TWO months is a lot considering the size of teksavvy
Considering the size of Teksavvy maybe, but a change of 3000 won't even get noticed when compared to Bell's subscriber count (not even counting GAS customers). Bell's own churn is probably higher than 3k in 2 months.

3k is insignificant to Bell. It's pocket change. It wouldn't cause a blip on a graph tracking active DSL lines.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to xdrag

Premium Member

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

....If they (Rogers) can take away market share from Bell for good, then over the years the damage compounds itself....

....Teksavvy said it themselves - Rogers has never seen such growth from a TPIA customer. Even if Rogers loses a customer to Teksavvy they still keep a majority of the money, whereas if Bell loses a customer to teksavvy (cable) Rogers gains a lion's share of the new subscription and Bell loses everything.

(Rogers is, with TSI's help) hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves.
-
Agreed.

And while the migration of subscribers away from BHell/TSI DSL to TSI Cable may not be noticed much so far by the BHell bean-counters, as usual, by the time it IS, it will then be too late (for BHell, that is).

However, during that process, TSI must manage to keep their rapidly accelerating 'Data Train' ON the 'Information Highway'.

chaos1105
join:2004-01-18

chaos1105 to TSI ERIC9

to TSI ERIC9
Any updates from Teksavvy on the status of the congestion issues?

Jayar
join:2005-01-16

Jayar

said by chaos1105:

Any updates from Teksavvy on the status of the congestion issues?
you're still having them?

chaos1105
join:2004-01-18

chaos1105

Haven't had any issues the past few days....just curious what the official update is. We haven't heard anything!
InvalidError

InvalidError to xdrag

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

I'm not even sure where you pulled the 2 million figure.
Read any of Videotron's press releases, the corporate summary at the end says they have nearly 1.1M cable-phone subscribers. If Rogers is doing anywhere near as well, they should have about as many.
said by xdrag:

Are you buying their propaganda or did you think through it at all?
Bell has multiple reasons not to worry about it. For one, it brings them one step closer to being able to request full deregulation. Also, no matter how many subs they lose, they will still make profits from people leaving them by providing PRI and related services to CLECs that pick those subs up, which offsets some of the losses.

TSI ERIC9
TekSavvy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20
CA

TSI ERIC9

Premium Member

Hey gang,

I've confirmed that all congested backhauls have been upgraded...so all should be good!

As an FYI to all we've gone from a 1 gig cross connect at 151 Front to a 10 gig, gone for 100 mbps backhauls per POI to 300 mbps to now 500 mbps, all in less than 3 months! We currently anticipate a 30 day window before we need to review where these are at.

We've also been in weekly meetings with Rogers to improve all aspects of the product...namely activations and their tech dispatches.

So, like I said earlier this week...we're paying attention, very close attention, however as you can all appreciate it's just not that simple!

All of this said, I thank all of you for the feedback and the trust you put in us...we're here for all of you and I can promise that we're always paying attention...even if at times you may think we're not...not saying we're Jedi but we try!

Thanks again gang

Cheers