xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to InvalidError

Re: TekSavvy Cable Speeds on Rogers Network

said by InvalidError:

said by AkFubar:

As mentioned already, Rogers must be recognizing how working with TSI can help their business. Win-Win!
I would wait and see... another interpretation would be that TPIA with an aggressive wholesaler was a lot more work than Rogers though it would be.
But for roger's its money that speak. 3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue while cock-blocking its major competitor (bell). Not to mention teksavvy has to pay for the upgrades that also come with a hefty price. For rogers, if the money speaks, then it's go-go-go.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by xdrag:

3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue
What is "huge" about ~$10k/month? That is not even 0.01% of Roger's monthly revenue, barely worth noting. A gain, yes. A "huge" gain? No, tiny at best.

xdrag

North York, ON

4 edits

said by InvalidError:

said by xdrag:

3000 new signups albeit some being Rogers switchers from the colateral damage are a HUGE gain in revenue
What is "huge" about ~$10k/month? That is not even 0.01% of Roger's monthly revenue, barely worth noting. A gain, yes. A "huge" gain? No, tiny at best.
However, i think you're missing the more important point here: Rogers is gaining a lot more than Bell. If they can take away marketshare from bell for good then over the years the damage compounds itself.

3K over the last TWO months is a lot considering the size of teksavvy and moreover, if the subscriptions are kept for years then Bell is losing money not just over months but years as well. Sometimes it's not about making money, it's about hurting your competitors and that's exactly what teksavvy is helping rogers do. This is just the beginning: Teksavvy has yet to infiltrate the Ottawa, the GTA areas and cogeco land.

Teksavvy said it themselves, rogers has never seen such growth from a TPIA customer. Even if roger loses a customer to teksavvy they still keep a majority of the money whereas if Bell loses a customer to teksavvy (cable) Roger gains a lion's share of the new subscription and Bell loses everything..

Hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves. If Rogers felt that they were going to shoot themselves in the foot, they would have never agreed to allow Teksavvy onto their networks.

Jayar

join:2005-01-16

Today's the first day in awhile since activation that I haven't had to run a speedtest. I hope this keeps up!

InvalidError

reply to xdrag

said by xdrag:

Hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves.
Bell lost over 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers to Videotron/Rogers cable-phone and even that only barely ruffled Bell's feathers. Next to that, even 100k wholesale subscribers jumping ship to cable would little more than tickle.

Since Bell wants to get rid of GAS, they are not going to mourn the loss of wholesale business wherever it may go.

xdrag

North York, ON

said by InvalidError:

said by xdrag:

Bell lost over 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers to Videotron/Rogers cable-phone and even that only barely ruffled Bell's feathers. Next to that, even 100k wholesale subscribers jumping ship to cable would little more than tickle.

Since Bell wants to get rid of GAS, they are not going to mourn the loss of wholesale business wherever it may go.
Are you buying their propaganda or did you think through it at all? I think any company losing 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers is going to hurt. They might not be saying it but it does. 2 Million subscribers and let's say Bell makes a profit of $20-30 dollars per subscriber (just numbers here) that's still $40 million dollars loss in profits.

According to wikipedia (not a reliable source but just as a rough reference), there's 13 million phone lines that's operated by bell. 2 out of 13 million is 15% of the market and IMO that's a lot of the marketshare to lose. I'm not even sure where you pulled the 2 million figure.

Ofcourse when you compare it to the 1 billion dollar revenue and costs it seems minimal but consider the long term effects as well. Phone subscriptions usually last more than just 1 year so it takes impact over many years. Furthermore, if i was a businesss and i start losing customers to my competitors then I would be scared about my business plan. It doesn't look very good on their portfolio for investors as well.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to xdrag

said by xdrag:

3K over the last TWO months is a lot considering the size of teksavvy
Considering the size of Teksavvy maybe, but a change of 3000 won't even get noticed when compared to Bell's subscriber count (not even counting GAS customers). Bell's own churn is probably higher than 3k in 2 months.

3k is insignificant to Bell. It's pocket change. It wouldn't cause a blip on a graph tracking active DSL lines.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to xdrag

said by xdrag:

....If they (Rogers) can take away market share from Bell for good, then over the years the damage compounds itself....

....Teksavvy said it themselves - Rogers has never seen such growth from a TPIA customer. Even if Rogers loses a customer to Teksavvy they still keep a majority of the money, whereas if Bell loses a customer to teksavvy (cable) Rogers gains a lion's share of the new subscription and Bell loses everything.

(Rogers is, with TSI's help) hurting Bell and at the same time helping themselves.
-
Agreed.

And while the migration of subscribers away from BHell/TSI DSL to TSI Cable may not be noticed much so far by the BHell bean-counters, as usual, by the time it IS, it will then be too late (for BHell, that is).

However, during that process, TSI must manage to keep their rapidly accelerating 'Data Train' ON the 'Information Highway'.

InvalidError

reply to xdrag

said by xdrag:

I'm not even sure where you pulled the 2 million figure.
Read any of Videotron's press releases, the corporate summary at the end says they have nearly 1.1M cable-phone subscribers. If Rogers is doing anywhere near as well, they should have about as many.

said by xdrag:

Are you buying their propaganda or did you think through it at all?
Bell has multiple reasons not to worry about it. For one, it brings them one step closer to being able to request full deregulation. Also, no matter how many subs they lose, they will still make profits from people leaving them by providing PRI and related services to CLECs that pick those subs up, which offsets some of the losses.

BrettD
Premium
join:2009-12-26
Ottawa, ON
reply to xdrag

said by xdrag:

said by InvalidError:

said by xdrag:

Are you buying their propaganda or did you think through it at all? I think any company losing 2 MILLION retail phone subscribers is going to hurt. They might not be saying it but it does.
My wife and I both dropped our Bhell lines earlier this year; me for voip.ms and her for teksavvy. We have both received UMPTEEN phone calls and juk postal mailers from Bhell asking us to come back, most recently today.

Heh... Bhell won't even indicate it's from them anywhere on the envelope - they seem to know you will toss is straight into the recycle bin. I recognize their printing format by now, however...

Believe me, they are trying hard to get customers back.

And IMO they are hurting. They wouldn't waste so much money otherwise.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by BrettD:

My wife and I both dropped our Bhell lines earlier this year; me for voip.ms and her for teksavvy. We have both received UMPTEEN phone calls and juk postal mailers from Bhell asking us to come back, most recently today.
Hahaha we left Bell for Rogers and Rogers for TekSavvy.... every day we get a letter from Big Blue or Big Red trying to win us back. go figure. :P
--
Ontario can lead again - Tim Hudak in 2011

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to BrettD

said by BrettD:

Heh... Bhell won't even indicate it's from them anywhere on the envelope - they seem to know you will toss is straight into the recycle bin.

I recognize their printing format by now, however...

-
Ahh yess, hearing anecdotes like that one brings a warm feeling to the cockles of my heart !

(And BHell prays that the money spent trying to win us back is not a waste.)

But Bell is getting what they deserve, and (in the boardroom) they know it.

The only $$ which they get from me anymore is indirectly thru TSI DSL, and one day, when TSI gets their Cogeco deal happening in my area, BHell won't even get THAT !

Muahahaha.... !

BTW, I use Skype Out & a Rogers prepaid cell for phone duties, and can find enough TV streams online to satisfy me.

InvalidError

reply to BrettD

said by BrettD:

If Bell really wanted subscribers back that badly, they should start with addressing the reasons why people dumped them in the first place. Strangely enough, prices continue to go up while caps and other stuff is getting worse.

said by BrettD:

They are not really wasting it: reducing rates and improving services to retain/gain subscribers based on merit instead of marketing would be even more expensive.

It is a bang-for-buck thing: marketing is the only way for Bell to uphold its inflated prices by making most people believe Bell's prices and service standards are fair.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to Davesnothere

BHell is like a cockroach, you have to break its back to kill it. Their propaganda machine is working overtime too... "We've changed since you left" LOL
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled??

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by AkFubar:

BHell is like a cockroach, you have to break its back to kill it. Their propaganda machine is working overtime too... "We've changed since you left" LOL
-
Break its back ?

Lemme ask Da Boyz - maybe sumtin' can be arranged....

As for cockroaches, the last time I saw one, it was only for an instant, because when I turned on the light, it vanished faster than BHell's Fibe 25 claims to go.

Of course, that's not really a fair analogy, as cockroaches are not throttled.

And the only thing BHell execs might have changed since any of us left might be their briefs or boxers, after reading their latest Internet customer churn figures, hehehe....

BTW, if I was a cockroach, I'd be offended - you comparing them to BHell.