how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

revo8778

join:2010-09-05
Rockaway Park, NY

Switching to Earthlink a good idea?

I've basically had enough of Verizon's pitiful DSL service and am mad enough dealing with the limited choice of ISP's in my neighborhood.

At my address, I can get:

Verizon DSL and FiOS (DO NOT WANT)
Time Warner Cable
Earthlink Cable

Time Warner overcharges for an internet-only service, so it seems that Earthlink is the only choice. Not that I have a problem with that.... yet. I am currently looking into their 7.0mbps service, priced at 41.95 per month. For me it seems like a good deal but I'd like some anecdotal input form actual Earthlink users. Also, it'd be helpful to know:

1. How are the fees if any? (I live in NYC)

2. If the installer (presumably Time Warner) makes a mess of my house, to who do I complain?

3. How is their customer service?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
First off, the Earthlink cable service that you get will be the same speed as Roadrunner is in your area. So if RR is set at 10 megs down in your area, this is what you will see using Earthlink.

Secondly, just call your local Time Warner office to set up the Earthlink install. You should also get the $29.95 a month for 6 month intro deal. Make sure that this is included. Time Warner handles all the billing for Earthlink.

You don't want FIOS ?

As far as making a mess of your home ? I doubt that this will happen.

I have yet to call customer service for anything. So I can't answer that for you.

We have been with EL since early June and I am pleased with the service, but we also are trying to save some $$$ , so after the 6 month deal is done we are canceling Time Warner cable TV and Earthlink in my name and my wife is going to subscribe to Time Warner Cable and Roadrunner in her name to get the one of the deals found here...

»www.roadrunneroffers.com/

revo8778

join:2010-09-05
Rockaway Park, NY
Sounds good, but if I order the install via Earthlink's website, should I expect to have to call TW as well? Also, how do I find out my local TW office's phone number?

I don't want FiOS because I don't want Verizon. Regardless of their "best customer service" awards, they're service and support around here is lackluster and I've heard too many stories of people having their lawns or walls ruined by Verizon subcontractors.

gt

@mindspring.com
reply to revo8778
In my area, installs for Earthlink are done by Time Warner. For installations purposes, it is the same as ordering RoadRunner from TW.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to revo8778
As it was with my order years ago... you order through earthlink. They forward the order to TW who then calls you to setup the install. While TW runs the network, Earthlink still has things they have to enter into their systems and setup as well -- all the "value add" services (email, web, dialup, etc.)

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
Look...just call the local TW office. They will handle it. I did that back in June and was switched immediately to Earthlink. I did already have Roadrunner. But it doesn't matter. Time Warner handles everything because of their agreement with Earthlink. They will give you the 6 month discount and they will set up the install since one of their trucks comes out anyway. Earthlink will send you your user name and password in the US Mail, or if you wait a day for everything to migrate through their system you can then call EL support (not TW support) and get your user name and password. Done deal.

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH
reply to revo8778
TWC handles the connection and billing. Earthlink handles the IP address and email service.

Main reason to switch to Earthlink is to not get charged for not having TV service with TWC.

NightOwl0

join:2010-08-15
reply to revo8778
In NYC area you can get a promo of either Earthlink or RR, standard 10mgs, $33 a month for 12 months. You do not need to have cable for this price. One time equipment deposit of $25 and $40.95 install fee. Other options are to sign up online for a retail offer of RR, $34.95 12 months with free install.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
Yes, check this site for RR offers.

»www.roadrunneroffers.com/

paradigmfl

join:2005-07-16
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to revo8778
I have no complaints. I like it because it is cheaper and is essentially the same thing. My provider is Bright House (FL) however it still goes over the same Roadrunner network.

The only time I ever really had to deal with Earthlink was during the initial setup. Other than that it seems most things are handled by the cable provider. Your cable provider is responsible for the actual install. Earthlink pretty much handles email. In theory Earthlink is your ISP but everything is still going over roadrunner.

Expect some possible hassle with setup. Sometimes the reps from the cable company aren't used to handling Earthlink orders. Some report major issues with conflicting information during the order process while others report no problems at all.

subzero_04

join:2011-01-04
Torrance, CA
reply to revo8778
I'm with RoadRunner(Turbo 15/2 $58.99 per month))and planning to switch to EL.
They offer same speed for $39.99 for six month.
What is the best procedure to switch?

Should I call TW office or call EL?
I do not want any down time, like to keep this modem
from TW, don't want to have any tech come out to my place.
I read that TW may offer me some promotional rate if I call
them.
If I just go ahead and switch to EL, I save $20 for six months.

Thanks

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
I'd say call EL, but others say you can do it by calling TW directly.

Beware u

join:2009-12-26

1 edit
reply to subzero_04
TW-Brighthouse will drag its feet switching you....Let EL handle it .
I wouldn't contact TW-BH at all.
I am in the process of doing it myself... it has been a pain dealing with TW-BH:
First when I called TW-BH to see what was the hang up .. to see why the delay in switching; they (she) told me "We do not handle EL anymore!".
Then I had to call EL several times and each time I end up with someone overseas and had problems communicating... Finally I got someone I could converse with; and I told him about the situation - so he called TW-BH (conf. 3 ways)... and when he told her to set up EL for me and gave her my Ph #., her first reaction was :" but he is with RR"... at which point I spoke and said I want to switch to EL ... she finally said she will do it right away: it has been 10hrs since then and I am still waiting for the switch....
Frankly I don't know what to do at this point, if they don't switch me... I hate to go to ATT for DSL (because I don't like that CO); and there is no Verizon around.
Any suggestions?

RR_Huh

@rr.com
A couple of friends of mine did the switch some time last year.
They called EL, EL pulled their TW accounts,(I'm not sure how they did that)set up EL account, re-booted modem, put them back online in less than an hour.
Of of them, he was too far from CO, Comcast was the only choice. EL did not even provision Comcast in his area back then.
Them TW took over Comcast.
One day,he checked EL site and made the switch.
Like Beware u mentioned, it all depends on who you deal with,
both on TW and EL side.
Closing TW account completely and open new EL account may work, but there may be an issue to avoid EL's set up fee.
Dealing with CSR and tech support became major
headaches since they are outsourced.
I'm looking at my own options myself other than TW/RR

Beware u

said by RR_Huh :

Like Beware u mentioned, it all depends on who you deal with, both on TW and EL side.
Closing TW account completely and open new EL account may work, but there may be an issue to avoid EL's set up fee.
Dealing with CSR and tech support became major
headaches since they are outsourced.
I'm looking at my own options myself other than TW/RR

Closing TW account and opening a new account may result in a 2-3 weeks downtime- (no Connections at all); and possibly an installation fee.

subzero_04

Torrance, CA
reply to revo8778
I did the switch yesterday.
Called TW first to see if I get any promo discount rate mentioning canceling the account. Did not get any.
I told her I'd call back. She sounded a little rude.

I called EL next. CRS was friendly and immediately set up my new EL account. Put me on hold for a while to get hold of TW tech. Waited for about 30 min and TW tech verified this and that with me and told me that in 15 min, I'm online with EL IP.
Re-booted my modem and router, checked my speed, it was done. I'm glad that this process went smoothly.

Beware u, is your switch done? If not, I wonder what's taking them so long.

subzero_04

Torrance, CA
Oops, it wasn't a reply to revo8778.
I'd better learn how to post. My own update. Sorry.

Beware u

4 edits
reply to subzero_04
said by subzero_04:

I did the switch yesterday.
Called TW first to see if I get any promo discount rate mentioning canceling the account. Did not get any.
I told her I'd call back. She sounded a little rude.

Beware u, is your switch done? If not, I wonder what's taking them so long.

NO Switch yet!... they are dragging their feet on purpose because they don't want to split the proceeds with EL.
BrightHouse and TW which owns RR may have some kind of "understanding" relationship ... so it is not hard to see why they don't like to make the switch to EL... and even if they do, they may try to sabotage the connection by making it slower than RR ( as posted in other posts about slowing down connection to EL customers!)

What is really funny is that 3–4 years ago I was with EL... but was lured by BH to make the switch to RR with a combo package TV-Internet... and like you said the switch was done in a matter of minutes back then!
EL is not the greatest either when it comes to support... but the way I see it, is never put all the eggs in one basket!
Only a Fool would sign up with one provider for all its TV/Internet/Phone needs, just to save a few pennies... they will be in for big surprises as time goes by!

skynet5

join:2011-01-20
reply to revo8778
If you do go with EL DO NOT use their email. If you do and want to cancel the service you will lose the email address. Then EL will want you to pay $3.95 per month to hold the address. Also EL has lots of DNS issues in the FL market. Their DNS servers go down alot. The service is over the TW-Brighthouse lines but the IP address and ISP service is from EL.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to revo8778
You can get FiOS and you "DO NOT WANT" it ?

Are you on drugs?

Wanna trade houses? I'll gladly swap my shitty AT&T/Time Warner Cable market for a Verizon FiOS market.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to revo8778
I'd take FIOS in a heartbeat!

I have earthlink, no taxes just a straight $40 something a month. I ordered the service through Time Warner itself. I'd suggest order thru Time Warner - they can give you the promo rates and they just seem more knowledgable about the specifics.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

tcat

@swbell.net
I have AT&T DSL, with a PAP2 VOIP adapter (Viatalk) 3.0down/512 up, works fine... just costs way to much. I don't need AT&T, but can't just drop the phone portion (want to port number). Going to switch to Earthlink (RR) and test PAP2/VOIP before dropping AT&T, I assume should work fine since it's a faster connection.

I've found that TWC CSR's are no help at all... I ask for rate after the 6 month promo, they say "whatever it is at the time"... wouldn't even give me current "regular" rates. I know Earthlink advertizes it will go to $41.95... I think RR is higher???? But if TWC does the billing, it probably isn't any different. What's your bill with taxes for the 10mps service?

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
I have the standard service (7/384 here) and it's still $41.95 - period. And it's billed directly by TW. 10/512 is another $10 and 15/512 is another $10 again. When they get around to wideband (docsis3 30/5), the extra $20 would be worth it. Right now it's not, IMO.

tcat

@swbell.net
OK, the Earthlink site says they offer 7mbps ($29.95, and $41.95 after 6 months); and 15mbps ($39.95, and $51.95 after 6 months). Doesn't show a 10mbps. So the 7mbps is only 384 up? How reliable is that, that's the number that makes VOIP work best. Whereas TWC has a 10mbps... nothing seems to match. I'm wanting at least 6mbps/512

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Depends on the area. Around here (NC) it's 7M/384k, 15M/512k. VoIP will work just fine over either. However, if you don't have ~128k free, the connection will be less than ideal.

(I have an ancient Cisco 12SP+ [g711] on the other end of an IPSec VPN tunnel. It gets choppy if I use too much upstream during a call. I should switch phones and use g729, but I'm lazy.)

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to tcat
said by tcat :

OK, the Earthlink site says they offer 7mbps ($29.95, and $41.95 after 6 months); and 15mbps ($39.95, and $51.95 after 6 months). Doesn't show a 10mbps. So the 7mbps is only 384 up? How reliable is that, that's the number that makes VOIP work best. Whereas TWC has a 10mbps... nothing seems to match. I'm wanting at least 6mbps/512

Sadly it's hard to tell what you will get until you sign up even if you are dealing with only one ISP, but I ordered 7/? on their webpage and get the same 10/1 speed as Standard Roadrunner in my area.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Right. Don't read what Earthlink says as they don't run the network. You'll get whatever the "standard" tiers are from your cable provider. Earthlink doesn't really pay attention to what the actual provider is doing.

avagyan

@rr.com
I was switching back and forth between TW and EL. But now I've discovered that I've “overpaid” a lot because I forgot. I'm checking and EL has $30 for 10Mbps first 6 Months or $30 for 700Kbps for life. Do you know if that 700Kbps is in reality the same 10Mbps? Don’t want 6 Months, gonna forget again. I hate Fios because ever since from the time I've put my foot on US soil it's coming but never comes to my area.(in Queens). Do you guys have any experience with WiMax /4G here? How it's compares to Cable. Are they handling streaming/torrents, etc... What other options we have except dsl? I see some other ISPs exccept Earthlink at »www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/lea···sps.html

tcat007

join:2010-10-04
Austin, TX
reply to revo8778
I bit the bullet and moved to RoadRunner. It had the better deal, locked in for 12 months at $29.99. Signed up for the regular 10/1 package, but am getting 31/1! Wow! (lowest so far in 3 days is 22/.98) My Viatalk VOIP ($14) works fine, so as soon as my number gets ported, no more AT&T! Earthlink would only lock in 6 months at 7/.5 (which seems crazy since it uses RR). RR "should" go up to $45 in a year, which is still no more than I'm paying for AT&T with phone.

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10
reply to revo8778
Hey all. I signed up for road runner last year and signed up for the plan for 34.95 per month for the 1st 12 months. I recalled they said after the 12 months is up, it would then be regular price which was 44.95 i believe.

I got the road runner bill and its 49.95. Aren't i suppose to get it for 44.95? Or is it 12 months at promotion price, and then it goes to the regular price whatever the price may be?

I used to have verizon online dsl and paid $21.95 per month but canceled it because it disconnected so much especially when the home phone rang and had tons of problems when it rained. I had the verizon online dsl for 5 years and just couldn't handle it anymore. It had hours of disconnect and yes i did everything. I had verizon come to my apartment to check the phone line and they saw no problem. I plugged in those filters and did everything you could possibly do.

How much does verizon dsl cost for you? Does it cost the same 21.95 like it did last year? I recalled 2 years before that, it was even cheaper like 19.99 but they increased the price 2 dollars. What about you guys with road runner? I thought switching from verizon online dsl to road runner was one of the best decisions i made since the price difference was only 13 dollars and i almost NEVER had a problem with the internet.

But now... its going to cost me 49.95/month with road runner and i'm wondering should i just go back to verizon online dsl? Also... i always had verizon as my landline phone so i never had to pay 10 more dollars per month like some others.

The only options in my area where i live in for fast internet are road runner or verizon dsl and thats it. I don't have that option for optimum online cable which i hear is great and a lot cheaper than road runner.

I'm kind of thinking about going back to verizon dsl now because of this. Would i have to pay a fee for signing back with verizon dsl? I still have that westell 6100 modem. I am pretty sure i didn't send anything back to them when i canceled it.

Also, i see people mentioning to switch to Earth Link since its the same company and you save money.

Can someone verify this? However, i know you have to pay for setup fee again. But can someone switch back and forth between Road Runner and Earthlink to save money? Can someone please explain how it would work?