join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to revo8778

Re: Switching to Earthlink a good idea?

I'd take FIOS in a heartbeat!

I have earthlink, no taxes just a straight $40 something a month. I ordered the service through Time Warner itself. I'd suggest order thru Time Warner - they can give you the promo rates and they just seem more knowledgable about the specifics.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

tcat

@swbell.net

I have AT&T DSL, with a PAP2 VOIP adapter (Viatalk) 3.0down/512 up, works fine... just costs way to much. I don't need AT&T, but can't just drop the phone portion (want to port number). Going to switch to Earthlink (RR) and test PAP2/VOIP before dropping AT&T, I assume should work fine since it's a faster connection.

I've found that TWC CSR's are no help at all... I ask for rate after the 6 month promo, they say "whatever it is at the time"... wouldn't even give me current "regular" rates. I know Earthlink advertizes it will go to $41.95... I think RR is higher???? But if TWC does the billing, it probably isn't any different. What's your bill with taxes for the 10mps service?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

I have the standard service (7/384 here) and it's still $41.95 - period. And it's billed directly by TW. 10/512 is another $10 and 15/512 is another $10 again. When they get around to wideband (docsis3 30/5), the extra $20 would be worth it. Right now it's not, IMO.

tcat

@swbell.net

OK, the Earthlink site says they offer 7mbps ($29.95, and $41.95 after 6 months); and 15mbps ($39.95, and $51.95 after 6 months). Doesn't show a 10mbps. So the 7mbps is only 384 up? How reliable is that, that's the number that makes VOIP work best. Whereas TWC has a 10mbps... nothing seems to match. I'm wanting at least 6mbps/512

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

Depends on the area. Around here (NC) it's 7M/384k, 15M/512k. VoIP will work just fine over either. However, if you don't have ~128k free, the connection will be less than ideal.

(I have an ancient Cisco 12SP+ [g711] on the other end of an IPSec VPN tunnel. It gets choppy if I use too much upstream during a call. I should switch phones and use g729, but I'm lazy.)

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to tcat

said by tcat :

OK, the Earthlink site says they offer 7mbps ($29.95, and $41.95 after 6 months); and 15mbps ($39.95, and $51.95 after 6 months). Doesn't show a 10mbps. So the 7mbps is only 384 up? How reliable is that, that's the number that makes VOIP work best. Whereas TWC has a 10mbps... nothing seems to match. I'm wanting at least 6mbps/512

Sadly it's hard to tell what you will get until you sign up even if you are dealing with only one ISP, but I ordered 7/? on their webpage and get the same 10/1 speed as Standard Roadrunner in my area.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

Right. Don't read what Earthlink says as they don't run the network. You'll get whatever the "standard" tiers are from your cable provider. Earthlink doesn't really pay attention to what the actual provider is doing.

avagyan

@rr.com

I was switching back and forth between TW and EL. But now I've discovered that I've “overpaid” a lot because I forgot. I'm checking and EL has $30 for 10Mbps first 6 Months or $30 for 700Kbps for life. Do you know if that 700Kbps is in reality the same 10Mbps? Don’t want 6 Months, gonna forget again. I hate Fios because ever since from the time I've put my foot on US soil it's coming but never comes to my area.(in Queens). Do you guys have any experience with WiMax /4G here? How it's compares to Cable. Are they handling streaming/torrents, etc... What other options we have except dsl? I see some other ISPs exccept Earthlink at »www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/lea···sps.html

tcat007

join:2010-10-04
Austin, TX
reply to revo8778

I bit the bullet and moved to RoadRunner. It had the better deal, locked in for 12 months at $29.99. Signed up for the regular 10/1 package, but am getting 31/1! Wow! (lowest so far in 3 days is 22/.98) My Viatalk VOIP ($14) works fine, so as soon as my number gets ported, no more AT&T! Earthlink would only lock in 6 months at 7/.5 (which seems crazy since it uses RR). RR "should" go up to $45 in a year, which is still no more than I'm paying for AT&T with phone.

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10
reply to revo8778

Hey all. I signed up for road runner last year and signed up for the plan for 34.95 per month for the 1st 12 months. I recalled they said after the 12 months is up, it would then be regular price which was 44.95 i believe.

I got the road runner bill and its 49.95. Aren't i suppose to get it for 44.95? Or is it 12 months at promotion price, and then it goes to the regular price whatever the price may be?

I used to have verizon online dsl and paid $21.95 per month but canceled it because it disconnected so much especially when the home phone rang and had tons of problems when it rained. I had the verizon online dsl for 5 years and just couldn't handle it anymore. It had hours of disconnect and yes i did everything. I had verizon come to my apartment to check the phone line and they saw no problem. I plugged in those filters and did everything you could possibly do.

How much does verizon dsl cost for you? Does it cost the same 21.95 like it did last year? I recalled 2 years before that, it was even cheaper like 19.99 but they increased the price 2 dollars. What about you guys with road runner? I thought switching from verizon online dsl to road runner was one of the best decisions i made since the price difference was only 13 dollars and i almost NEVER had a problem with the internet.

But now... its going to cost me 49.95/month with road runner and i'm wondering should i just go back to verizon online dsl? Also... i always had verizon as my landline phone so i never had to pay 10 more dollars per month like some others.

The only options in my area where i live in for fast internet are road runner or verizon dsl and thats it. I don't have that option for optimum online cable which i hear is great and a lot cheaper than road runner.

I'm kind of thinking about going back to verizon dsl now because of this. Would i have to pay a fee for signing back with verizon dsl? I still have that westell 6100 modem. I am pretty sure i didn't send anything back to them when i canceled it.

Also, i see people mentioning to switch to Earth Link since its the same company and you save money.

Can someone verify this? However, i know you have to pay for setup fee again. But can someone switch back and forth between Road Runner and Earthlink to save money? Can someone please explain how it would work?

tcat007

Austin, TX

I switched to get the RR $30/mo deal... but if it goes to $50 after 12 months, I'll be switching again. AT&T does have "naked DSL" which is $40/mo I believe. I didn't want to mess with it since I had my phone# tied to my DSL line, so to make Porting easy I just switched to RR. Once I'm ported, I can always switch back to just a DSL line (in 12 months). I don't think you can switch between Earthlink and RR to save anything since it all goes through TWC. Not sure what Verizon offers.

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10
reply to revo8778

okay. So i called Time Warner. They told me the cost is 49.95/month instead of 44.95 b/c that is the standard price since January 2011.

I asked about the Earthlink and they told me because i am a current road runner customer, even if i switch to earthlink... i would get charged the 49.95 fee as oppose to the 29.95/month for 1st 6 months and then 41.95 fee after that. They said this is a phone department and they don't offer those deals.

I then asked if i called Earthlink, are they going to say the same thing? They said they are not sure. I spoke to Earthlink online support and they said yes i can get it for the 29.95/month plan for 6 months and 41.95 after and i could just make the switch right now.

However, they told me that after i do this, then a technician will call me in 3 days to make a day where they could come over and install it. What i got confused here was people mentioned that they use same equipment and everything is the same. Only difference is no road runner boost and email accounts.

But I said, since i have the cable box from road runner, why would i need a technician to come over? They said installation and cable box was free and i told them i thought i could use the same one. They said a technician has to come to your home to do the switch at your place. Can someone explain how they do this switch? I thought it was going to be real easy where i didn't even need to meet a technician and they were just going to switch the internet like that..

Can someone explain some of this? I'm going to call them back tomorrow. So after 6 months when i change back to road runner, then the road runner technician will have to come to my home? So if i take the cable box from earthlink, that means i have to return the return back to road runner right? But if i keep my current modem, i don't have to return it?

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

There's no requirement to send anyone out. They can switch you at the push of a button (literally.) If they want to send someone out to change the modem, go right ahead. Sounds like that might just be an artifact of the Earthlink/TWC system.

You seem to be going to a great deal of work to save less than $20 a month, for six months. But after 6 months, I wouldn't jump ship. I've been an Earthlink(TWC) customer for many years. My bill has never changed. RR customers have seen the bill go up many times.

tcat007

Austin, TX

So does this mean that after a year with TWC/RR I can switch to Earthlink to get their $42 "fixed" rate?