Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

VPN from Vista to ZW 2WG

This is a very basic question, and I am a complete VPN dork. I spent several hours last night at work Googling to learn about this but think I'm missing something very basic.

I have a ZyWall 2WG. I would like to know if it's possible for me to set it up as a VPN server and connect to it remotely with the built-in VPN client ability in Windows Vista? And if so, I'm assuming I wouldn't need to run any VPN software on any computers behind ZyWall?

I've combed through the 2WG manual and it talks about using its VPN capabilities to connect a client router to a remote router, but nothing about using any type of software (including what's included with Vista) to connect to the router to establish a connection.

I guess I just need to know if I'm spinning my wheels here trying to learn how to do something which is impossible, or if I'm at least on the right track.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
said by Gork:

This is a very basic question, and I am a complete VPN dork. I spent several hours last night at work Googling to learn about this but think I'm missing something very basic.
I think the correct term is a complete VPN gork!

I do not know off the top of my head if the ZW2WG does L2TP vpns, but I am inclined to say no.

Not to despair, apparently this client works just fine and is free.
»www.shrew.net/software

There is also the Greenbow Client 30 day trial
»www.thegreenbow.com/vpn.html

you may also want to look at the free draytek client..
»www.draytek.com/user/Sup ··· ity.php#
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
haha

This has to do with a connection from work. Though we have the ability to install software, we're really not supposed to. I can RDP to my home computer fine and they don't mind. It's just that while I'm working graves and things are slow at work I thought it might be worthwhile to finally learn more about VPNs, and what better way than to set one up?

Are you saying, however, that a client would allow me to connect to a VPN set up in my router without me having to run any special VPN software on any computers on my network at home?

If only I had a laptop... I think it would be interesting to slap a VPN client on that, take it to work and link up through the WLAN there to see if I could VPN to my network at home, assuming of course they don't have the necessary ports firewalled.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Yes the VPN router at home will handle all the VPN overhead at home, (nothing on the home pcs). You just need the client on your laptop, wherever you are in the world.

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
Thanks... Hopefully someone will know if the native VPN client in Vista is compatible with the VPN capabilities of the router. If I at least know it SHOULD work, I won't have a reason to give up easily! And if not, well, I've kind of hit a brick wall for now.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Ahh but we do know. L2TP is the acronym or cute term for native windowns client ipsec capability at the router end. Checking the spec sheet (datasheet), a big fat NADA, ZILCHO, SFA etc.... Download the free shrew client and give that a whirl...

»www.shrew.net/support/wi ··· toZywall

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
Well, you made it easy for me - thanks! And guldernitall... I'll have to decide if I wanna get with IT to see if they have a problem with me fiddling around with Shrew on my work computer or wait until a laptop comes around I can fiddle with. I work for a government entity so I'm pretty sure they're not gonna' be wanting me to install it.

Again, thanks Anav See Profile.